Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th December 2012, 12:17   #1711
BHPian

re: Maruti Swift : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sridhar K View Post
Is synthetic oil optional only for cars that came with mineral oil from the factory or is it optional for even the newer Swift DDIs that came with synthetic from the factory?

MSM Chennai told me that it is mandatory for all new Swift DDiS that came with synthetic from factory and I would be unhappy if that is the true. My car is due for 10k service shortly and hoping that I can get away with using mineral
If you have the new swift, then you have to fill sythetics. My A.S.S refused to change to mineral as this has come directly from MSIL and somewhere in this forum, it was said that this was because Fiat has started insisting on synthetics for their MJD. You can try asking them to fill mineral but there is a very high probability that they will refuse.
Shome is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th December 2012, 14:01   #1712
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shome View Post
If you have the new swift, then you have to fill sythetics. My A.S.S refused to change to mineral as this has come directly from MSIL and somewhere in this forum, it was said that this was because Fiat has started insisting on synthetics for their MJD. You can try asking them to fill mineral but there is a very high probability that they will refuse.

My Swift ZDI bought in May 2012 just completed its 3rd free service last week. I casually asked the SA to fill mineral oil, i expected he would refuse and insist on Synthetic, but he never said anything and filled mineral oil.
Gomzy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th December 2012, 16:07   #1713
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gomzy View Post
My Swift ZDI bought in May 2012 just completed its 3rd free service last week. I casually asked the SA to fill mineral oil, i expected he would refuse and insist on Synthetic, but he never said anything and filled mineral oil.
As I understood from my SA during my last service, synthetic is optional now, regardless of the VIN. There was a service circular mandating synthetic oil for cars after a certain VIN number, but the policy was backed out later due to fear of complaints that the service cost for swift is too high.

What brand of synthetic oil do the MASS use? Can we carry our own oil when going for service?
jingaboysr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th December 2012, 17:58   #1714
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jingaboysr View Post
As I understood from my SA during my last service, synthetic is optional now, regardless of the VIN. There was a service circular mandating synthetic oil for cars after a certain VIN number, but the policy was backed out later due to fear of complaints that the service cost for swift is too high.

What brand of synthetic oil do the MASS use? Can we carry our own oil when going for service?
Thank you for the heads up. I had done my 3rd service a couple of months back and they had refused. This will bring the cost down by quite a bit

Is there any official communication available for this which we can carry along during the service?

Dont know the brand. They have these fillers coming down from the ceiling for different engine oils with only the specs written on the tubes. I am planning to carry my own for the 20k service. If they refuse, will fill it from outside. My father in law who has the new VDI and the later vin has changed to mineral and I do not see any change in performance on NVH. His car is running as well as mine. He never gets it serviced from MASS, always his trustworthy garage and keeps all service records.
Old 28th December 2012, 08:31   #1715
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sridhar K View Post
Is synthetic oil optional only for cars that came with mineral oil from the factory or is it optional for even the newer Swift DDIs that came with synthetic from the factory?

MSM Chennai told me that it is mandatory for all new Swift DDiS that came with synthetic from factory and I would be unhappy if that is the true. My car is due for 10k service shortly and hoping that I can get away with using mineral
Like other have noted here, I guess now you can fill synthetic irrespective of the VIN cutoff that was mentioned in the TSB. Call the MSIL helpline if SA is acting silly.
deetjohn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th December 2012, 14:14   #1716
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitewing View Post

arindambasu13, Can you also share the engine oil used and the volume? I thought a mineral oil would work out to be roughly half of a synthetic?
The volume of oil used for my car was 3.3. liters as per the invoice.
Old 28th December 2012, 14:36   #1717
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
I change oil and filter for our car every 5K (purely by choice) and I chose mineral oil for every service till now. This is not a problem since our car came with mineral oil from the factory and the first oil change was at 1000 KM.

The 20K service will be in a couple of weeks and I am still sitting on the fence with whether to go with synthetic at every 10K or mineral at every 5K. Financially, the latter makes immense sense. Good thing that Maruti has not made synthetic mandatory.
You and I share the same thought. My car was dropped off for its 30,000km service today. This is my 7th oil change and I have paid less than what just 2 synthetic oil changes would have cost me. I'll share all details of expenses till 30k kms on my ownership thread shortly after I take delivery.

I'd suggest you continue with mineral oil unless you are a synthetic oil fan.
Old 29th December 2012, 13:56   #1718
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arindambasu13 View Post

The volume of oil used for my car was 3.3. liters as per the invoice.
Should be 3.1L for 1.3L MJD. Please check again. Otherwise there is a mistake.

Quote:
Thank you for the heads up. I had done my 3rd service a couple of months back and they had refused. This will bring the cost down by quite a bit

Is there any official communication available for this which we can carry along during the service?....
Shome, I believe the communication on synthetic being optional was given in this very thread. The SAs decline it as they make more money on it. They might also have huge stock. Please bear in mind that if you plan to change it to mineral, do it ASAP & also make sure to flush the engine before converting to mineral.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 29th December 2012 at 14:02.
swiftnfurious is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st December 2012, 12:56   #1719
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Should be 3.1L for 1.3L MJD. Please check again. Otherwise there is a mistake.
Mine is not a MJD- its 2012 K12 VVT, therefore there may be a slight variation in volume of oil used.
arindambasu13 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 1st January 2013, 09:46   #1720
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
I'd suggest you continue with mineral oil unless you are a synthetic oil fan.
I have never used synthetic for any Diesel till now. Guess, I am going to stick with mineral for the 20K service.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arindambasu13 View Post
Mine is not a MJD- its 2012 K12 VVT, therefore there may be a slight variation in volume of oil used.
It is 3.1 L for both MJD & K12M with oil filter change. And 3.1L is the max oil limit and over filling is not good for the engine. Actually, there is no problem with the oil quantity being a little lower.

Last edited by deetjohn : 1st January 2013 at 09:48. Reason: Adding text.
Old 1st January 2013, 19:52   #1721
BHPian

My swift zdi has arrived in the showroom. The car is now their PDI dept. Visited the dealer and had an inspection myself.

During the inspection found these (pls see attached pics below). The SA said its the suspension supports or something and he assured its common in every new car. Didn't check from below to see what exactly is that.

Can you please identify what it is or is it normal?
Thanks in advance.
Review: 2nd-gen Maruti Swift (2011 - 2017)-01012013046.jpg

This one is inside the spare tire well
Review: 2nd-gen Maruti Swift (2011 - 2017)-01012013047.jpg

Last edited by vaisakhr : 1st January 2013 at 19:53.
Old 1st January 2013, 19:56   #1722
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
I have never used synthetic for any Diesel till now. Guess, I am going to stick with mineral for the 20K service.
But the new swift was shipped with synthetic in it! Also, am now confused on the actual status of the oil change w.r.t Maruti. The link to the circular in this thread says mineral is OK if the VIN is prior to a certain number. And this is only for the diesel ones.

Does any one have a official confirmation that the switch is OK? This is important to know before making the switch. May run into trouble (God forbid) if we are need to claim warranty cover for the engine etc.

I would also prefer to switch to mineral, but want to be sure that it is OK before doing it.
Old 1st January 2013, 20:46   #1723
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaisakhr View Post
My swift zdi has arrived in the showroom. The car is now their PDI dept. Visited the dealer and had an inspection myself.

During the inspection found these (pls see attached pics below). The SA said its the suspension supports or something and he assured its common in every new car. Didn't check from below to see what exactly is that.
Congrats on the ZDi.

And relax. Its exactly the same way in our car as well. Though I don't know what they are for.
deetjohn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st January 2013, 22:24   #1724
BHPian

Quote:

But the new swift was shipped with synthetic in it! Also, am now confused on the actual status of the oil change w.r.t Maruti. The link to the circular in this thread says mineral is OK if the VIN is prior to a certain number. And this is only for the diesel ones.
Maruti Suzuki had sent a circular to all M.A.S.S that from particular VIN number feom December 2011 onwards only Syntetic oil to be used. (You can search this thread for the copy) And if your car is post Dec 2011, you need to use synthetuc oil only.
Old 3rd January 2013, 09:16   #1725
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Does any one have a official confirmation that the switch is OK? This is important to know before making the switch. May run into trouble (God forbid) if we are need to claim warranty cover for the engine etc.

I would also prefer to switch to mineral, but want to be sure that it is OK before doing it.
The TSB stated that. But, many have noted that now the choice is up to the customer during each service irrespective of the VIN mentioned in the TSB. Personally, I haven't bothered or seen any official confirmation from MSIL on this. I urge you to confirm the same by calling MSIL helpline to clear any doubts. And do update us if you get any official confirmation.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks