re: Maruti Swift : Test Drive & Review

The new 'We The Swift' commercial.

deetjohn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th January 2013, 14:41   #1757
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sridhar K View Post
It was not scheduled in the service but something I requested based on feedback from another bhpian swiftnfurious who had mentioned on this thread that it helps reduce the smoke that comes during rapid acceleration as oil gets deposited in the intercooler with MASS overfilling oil.
Thanks. How much has the performance improved? Were you getting smoke? I have to check mine but I don't I have any smoke issues at present.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
I have specified the steps in one of the posts. Let me see if I can dig it for you! FYI, this is NOT a regular maintenance stuff. You need to do it ONLY if you have smoke problems / low pick up. But can be done once in a while to pamper your car!

Edit:: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ml#post2726916

Hey, did you have any of the issues I mentioned? How much did they charge for it?
Thanks for the tip. I might go for one as I am due a 20k service in a months time. Might be a good idea to be around when they clean just to check the amount of muck if any in the oil used for cleaning. Thanks again!
Old 26th January 2013, 16:33   #1758
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Hey, did you have any of the issues I mentioned? How much did they charge for it?
I started getting the smoke coming out while accelarating hard and the engine used to lug big time below 1500 rpm. Both of them have got sorted out though I am not sure whether intercooler cleaning helped with the latter.
Old 27th January 2013, 16:57   #1759
BHPian

i had been to the service centre today to avail a free car cleaning and wheel alignment i had got. Well, the less said about the cleaning they do the better. But the wat jets atleast keep the underbody clean which i cant take care of during my cleaning drives

i happened to enquire about synthetic vs mineral oil as my 3rd service is coming up. the SA still was adamant that maruti only allows for synthetic oil. i can of course argue with that, however, with most running in the polluted and dusty city, i will prefer to go with synthetic AND change oil every 10k.

The SA said they use castrol 5w40 and will cost about 1000 bucks a litre. hows the performance of castro. if not, which one is good and is it worth going to an outside garage to get an oil of my choice?
Old 28th January 2013, 16:28   #1760
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkyp View Post
i happened to enquire about synthetic vs mineral oil as my 3rd service is coming up. the SA still was adamant that maruti only allows for synthetic oil. i can of course argue with that, however, with most running in the polluted and dusty city, i will prefer to go with synthetic AND change oil every 10k.
Atleast with Mobil1 both 0W40 or 5W40 they claim you can go upto 20K kms safely. That Oil they say is remarkably good.

Got Service Manager from Ford to vouch for it when i was about to change at 15K kms. He told me it is still good for 5K more.

Also, got same opinion from the Mobil guys, that i can last upto 20K. Finally, seeing my reluctance they said that in case you want to change then change at 18K to be on safer side. I was not too sure and changed it @ 16500kms, since i did not want to take chance.

I was more worried about the oil filter not being replaced for so long than anything else.

Cheers
MKP

Last edited by mkpiyengar : 28th January 2013 at 16:31. Reason: added couple of lines
mkpiyengar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th January 2013, 02:33   #1761
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkyp View Post
...The SA said they use castrol 5w40 and will cost about 1000 bucks a litre. hows the performance of castro. if not, which one is good and is it worth going to an outside garage to get an oil of my choice?
My pick will be Mobil 1 for the positive user reviews.
Old 3rd February 2013, 18:13   #1762
BHPian

I have some questions on the Swift's MID -

1. Tripwise FE

Can I record trip-wise fuel efficiency in the MID, while retaining the overall average fuel efficiency data as well? If I reset the FE reading (by long-pressing the right-side button), I lose the overall FE data as well.

I looked in the manual, but couldn't find any information about this.

2. Outside Temperature display

I find that the MID's outside temperature display is inaccurate. For instance when there is a blazing south Indian sun outside, it shows 21 C on the MID. The number is very inaccurate upon a cold start, and seems to become somewhat more accurate as I drive for some time.

Has anyone else faced this problem?
Old 4th February 2013, 11:08   #1763
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by qaqa View Post
I have some questions on the Swift's MID -

1. Tripwise FE

Can I record trip-wise fuel efficiency in the MID, while retaining the overall average fuel efficiency data as well? If I reset the FE reading (by long-pressing the right-side button), I lose the overall FE data as well.

I looked in the manual, but couldn't find any information about this.
As far as I know, that is not possible. If you reset, then you will lose the overall efficiency.

You can try using some of the phone based indicators or maybe an excel spreadsheet? I feel these are quite handy. More than mileage, they also give you a lot of other information like you cost/km etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by qaqa View Post
2. Outside Temperature display

I find that the MID's outside temperature display is inaccurate. For instance when there is a blazing south Indian sun outside, it shows 21 C on the MID. The number is very inaccurate upon a cold start, and seems to become somewhat more accurate as I drive for some time.

Has anyone else faced this problem?
Yes, this is common both in my Swift and my new Verna. It does take some time to show the actual temperature; about 3-5 minutes depending on the temperature. I remember, when I had first got the car back after my 3rd service, it took about 20 minutes to show the ambient temperature but thereafter, it was pretty quick.
Old 9th February 2013, 11:14   #1764
BHPian

My actual FE (tankful to tankful) works out to 14.9. The MID however shows a fantastic 18.3 for the same trip. Is such a large difference normal?

The car has run 1300km and us still being broken in.
Old 9th February 2013, 12:00   #1765
BHPian

What RPM rang and speed do u drive. And your major driving is in city or highways. Usage of AC. Actual milage depends on all these facts. MID is purely based on acceleration rate only.
Old 10th February 2013, 13:07   #1766
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devil_klm View Post
What RPM rang and speed do u drive. And your major driving is in city or highways. Usage of AC. Actual milage depends on all these facts. MID is purely based on acceleration rate only.
Well I try to keep within 2500rpm. Ac was on intermittently. Very light load - driver with no luggage.

I thought the MID measures fuel rate. Guess it is much more approximate then.

But generally, should I even be expecting something in the range of 16kmpl?
Old 10th February 2013, 13:36   #1767
BHPian

Hey guys,

I'm in the market for a diesel hatch. I took a test drive of the new Swift. I liked the steering and its suspension, the slightly longer wheel base makes the car confident and the AC is a chiller, there is enough torque for the car to start from a dead stop in second gear although I did find the interior quality not upto the mark and the turbo lag is high 4-5secs at least. I have a few questions

1. Does the car have a drop in power when the AC is switched on?
2. What mileage figures can I expect in city? The TD car showed 13kmpl on its MID.
3. The TD car internal dashboard was literally moving about and the rattling noise was too high is this normal, owners please give your input?
4. The SA told me that the TD car had turbo problems, this in a car that had 24k kms only. Could Swift owners tell me about the turbo-lag in their vehicles?
5. What will be the average service bill of this car?
6. The OTR price is 8.66 Lakhs in Bangalore. Is it worth the money i'm paying?

Thanks & Regards

Last edited by D'Artagnan : 10th February 2013 at 13:37.
Old 10th February 2013, 14:34   #1768
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devil_klm View Post
MID is purely based on acceleration rate only.
Hi Devil...can you please explain this a little more?

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain_slow View Post
1. Does the car have a drop in power when the AC is switched on?
Not at all. The 1.3 MJD is quite torquey and you can't really make out any difference. I haven't felt any difference

Quote:
2. What mileage figures can I expect in city? The TD car showed 13kmpl on its MID.
This is dependent on a number of variables and how you drive. With full AC on, I get a mileage of about 16-17 kmpl (Actual and not MID...MID is always above 18kmpl) at the most in moderate stop go traffic in Mumbai. If you leave the engine on for minutes together and you don't move at all, then obviously the mileage will be lower

Quote:
3. The TD car internal dashboard was literally moving about and the rattling noise was too high is this normal, owners please give your input?
I had a minor rattle in the dashboard. It started at about 13000 kms. I had given my car for a 5 point check up at 15000 and they managed to get rid of the rattle. Its been about 3000 kms since then and the rattle hasn't come back. Apparently, a nut needed tightening which rectified the problem. No other sound in the car due to rattles.

Quote:
4. The SA told me that the TD car had turbo problems, this in a car that had 24k kms only. Could Swift owners tell me about the turbo-lag in their vehicles?
There is turbo lag but not as pronounced as the previous generation swifts. But this is no Sail or figo either which are much better in managing the lag. The lag is evident till about 2000 rpm after which its a gem to drive. However, I still dont think the turbo lag is that pronounced that it makes this un-drivable.

I haven't heard of turbo issues anywhere else from a swift. Not to jump the gun, but did you ask the SA what the reason was for the turbo issue? And why were they still giving test drives in a damaged TD car? This will help understand if we should be concerned about this.

Quote:
5. What will be the average service bill of this car?
Consumables are charged which takes it up to about Rs 1600 for services without the oil change. For oil change, if you add synthetics, it will be around Rs 3000 more

Quote:
6. The OTR price is 8.66 Lakhs in Bangalore. Is it worth the money i'm paying?
What are your requirements. Is there something better in this segment than the swift based on your requirements? Or would you prefer going a segment up.

Gripes I have with the swift:

1. Bad build quality. Dents very very easily. People leaning on the car has made the panel bend inwards.

2. Pathetic paint quality. not enough paint coats. Compare that with the POLO. Swift scratches very easily.

3. Boot space is less compared to competition. Only faced while on long vacations on road trips.

4. Poor stock headlamps. An upgrade necessary

Why I like the swift:

1. I quite like the interiors, specifically the back with silver.

2. A very driveable car. Good on the curves, barely any body roll, copious amounts of grip at very high speeds.

3. Quite spacious at the front, cant be said the same about the back. Again, its just me and my wife at most times, so we dont care much for our regular travels. Depends on your requirements

4. Economical as compared to the European cars

5. An all-rounder
Shome is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th February 2013, 15:58   #1769
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shome View Post
Not at all. The 1.3 MJD is quite torquey and you can't really make out any difference. I haven't felt any difference

Consumables are charged which takes it up to about Rs 1600 for services without the oil change. For oil change, if you add synthetics, it will be around Rs 3000 more

Gripes I have with the swift:

1. Bad build quality. Dents very very easily. People leaning on the car has made the panel bend inwards.

2. Pathetic paint quality. not enough paint coats. Compare that with the POLO. Swift scratches very easily.

3. Boot space is less compared to competition. Only faced while on long vacations on road trips.

4. Poor stock headlamps. An upgrade necessary

Why I like the swift:

1. I quite like the interiors, specifically the back with silver.

2. A very driveable car. Good on the curves, barely any body roll, copious amounts of grip at very high speeds.

3. Quite spacious at the front, cant be said the same about the back. Again, its just me and my wife at most times, so we dont care much for our regular travels. Depends on your requirements

4. Economical as compared to the European cars

5. An all-rounder
I'll be going for another TD I've asked the SA to arrange for a car that had not been abused during TD. The SA agreed to this and when I enquired about the Turbo, SA told me that the vehicle is due for service which is why the turbo was not performing up to its mark.

I like the new Swift the minute I sat in it the car felt stable (felt this moving a few metres from the showroom), it literally hugs the road and is a brilliant drivers car. I just feel at 8.66Lakhs they could have done a better job with the interiors such as better buttons for the power windows and a better quality dashboard if I tap it I get the typical thin plastic noise. Talk about engine and suspension there is no other car that comes close. Prices in Bangalore have increased by up to 50K but there have been no added features Maruti is charging so much simply because it can .

My mind says Polo is better VFM with its latest features (ACC, bluetooth, USB/AUX) and better quality but my heart says Swift simply because of its handling.

Last edited by D'Artagnan : 10th February 2013 at 15:59.
Old 10th February 2013, 16:12   #1770
BHPian

Quote:

I'll be going for another TD I've asked the SA to arrange for a car that had not been abused during TD. The SA agreed to this and when I enquired about the Turbo, SA told me that the vehicle is due for service which is why the turbo was not performing up to its mark.

I like the new Swift the minute I sat in it the car felt stable (felt this moving a few metres from the showroom), it literally hugs the road and is a brilliant drivers car. I just feel at 8.66Lakhs they could have done a better job with the interiors such as better buttons for the power windows and a better quality dashboard if I tap it I get the typical thin plastic noise. Talk about engine and suspension there is no other car that comes close. Prices in Bangalore have increased by up to 50K but there have been no added features Maruti is charging so much simply because it can .

My mind says Polo is better VFM with its latest features (ACC, bluetooth, USB/AUX) and better quality but my heart says Swift simply because of its handling.
If handling is THE factor, you can look at the Punto too. Swift @ 8.66 lakhs is just not worth it IMHO.

Well, the choice is yours :-). But when it comes to resale, Swift wins hands down.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks