Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th December 2012, 11:31   #1696
BHPian

re: Maruti Swift : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shome View Post
How many of you have actually gone for the 15k 4th service that the dealers are suggesting these days? Is it necessary? Has this actually come from Maruti as the manual says its every 10000 kms?.
Not necesary at all. As suggested by someone above, just get the chekup done as you have a long trip. My swift was running super smooth even before the 20k service, so I guess 10k intervals are a bare minimum with synthetic oil. Punto has a 15k interval with the same engine, not sure what oil they use. So in all probability, the calls by dealers are plain ways to extort more money.
ScorpMan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th December 2012, 14:32   #1697
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Did you really assume that I meant Alto / Swift is a 3L (litre) & City is a 10L (litre) car?

I didn't claim City is cheap! But please note that the service cost of City is at par with a hatch (Swift) which is 1 or 2 segments below and from a brand synonymous to cheap A$$. Now its for people to decipher whether Swift is expensive to maintain or City is cheap to maintain, based on the cost comparo!

Could you define 'segment diff'? A car which is built using better quality marterials are bound to be expensive from a maintenance / service / repair costs. By your logic, a Fiat 500 or a VW Beetle should have same service costs since they belong to the same segment as a Swift or a Vista by virtue of length, tax benefits, engine size etc!

Its on the owners to understand what all includes in each service! They have the right & responsibility to check, question, verify additional items on the job card & reject unwanted items before signing off. The ones who get fleeced are the ones who don't do their ground work.
1. Yes, I did assume the L was for Litre and not Lakh.

2. City is just one segment above, since swift falls into compact, i.e. sub 4m, and City in midsize, more than 4m.

Segment difference in reference to the additional excise levied on the City due it's engine which is more than 1.2L and since it is also longer than 4m. The difference is pretty much visible when you compatre Jazz with City, which has almost same interiors and other parts such as suspensions etc. but is cheaper due to segment diff.

3. The new Swift has very good materials, comparable to Honda, and it's spare parts ought to be cheaper, but the spare parts factor doesn't count in regular services which mostly involve topping of fluids, cleaning of parts etc. Hence I don't see why there should be a significant diff in service costs. 2k difference seems more than enough, even if they require more specialized labor, or consumables as per the myth.

It's only when you replace parts that you'll realize how cheap is Maruti vs Honda.

Honda still doesn't have the mass production advantage in India which Suzuki has, hence the elevated prices. Elsewhere in the world the same Honda cars are the very basic models, cheap too. So it's not totally correct to say that Honda has superior materials/parts used. Infact you might find better materials used in Honda cars outside India.
Honda is potrayed as a premium car in India primarily due to it's brand perception.

Bringing Fiat 500, or Beetle into the conversation is preposterous for reasons too many, all imported parts, premium hatchbacks which costs more than daily commuter cars not only in India but even in world market.

In the end, you will notice that the service costs are comparable because partly the marketing and sales strategists behind the scenes analyze the affordability of it's client and their willingness to pay for the brand, and partly due to the improved quality of Maruti.
Maruti has become synonymous for reliability and quality, it is no longer considered just as a cheap car.

Sorry for the long reply, but I don't think it is justified to consider Maruti as the cheapest option in cars nowadays, it's cheaper, but not by miles.
envy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th December 2012, 17:14   #1698
Senior - BHPian

^^^

I am still interested to know why it costed 8.5K for servicing your Honda City? It is definitely not a regular service cost and must be involving some parts replacement(which is a different story altogether).

All Honda City owners I know on this forum and friends/family circle haven't spent more than 3K on regular servicing of Honda City. I too paid just 2K for the last paid service of my City.

I don't own a Swift but has a Maruti WagonR and in the last service I shelled 6K just for regular servicing(that too without wheel alignment/balancing etc) with no parts being replaced. And IIRC, last to last service bill of WagonR was also around 7-8K with no parts being replaced.

(All cost details in my respective threads)

One thing is for sure, Owning a Maruti is no longer a cheap affair.

Last edited by bluevolt : 24th December 2012 at 17:22.
bluevolt is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th December 2012, 20:59   #1699
BHPian

I am facing a weird problem for the past one week during gear shifts in my swift ZXI, the gear is getting stuck in one gear i.e it just refuses to move from say 1st to 2nd and sometimes from neutral also, I am unable to shift to any gear. The downshift has also become little rough.

This is predominant in the lower gears till 3rd, haven't experienced much problem with 4th and 5th so far. I have checked it with A.S.S twice and the second time had left for 3rd service, but still they are not able to fix it. I have done 9083 kms so far. What might be the problem?

MODS: If this post doesn't belong here please shift to an appropriate thread.
Old 25th December 2012, 12:30   #1700
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
^^^

I am still interested to know why it costed 8.5K for servicing your Honda City? It is definitely not a regular service cost and must be involving some parts replacement(which is a different story altogether).

All Honda City owners I know on this forum and friends/family circle haven't spent more than 3K on regular servicing of Honda City. I too paid just 2K for the last paid service of my City.
The breakup for the service is (inclusive taxes)

Consumables
1100 - 26ml Engine Oil topup
20 - washer plug
198 - Oil filter catridge
117 - Bulb (for the rear tail light)

Non-consumables
842 - Brake caliper lubrication
3300 - It says IPP on the bill, when asked I was told it was lubrication for all the rubber seals and gaskets, it is supposedly done at 30k, 50k kms and so on.
1630 - Throttle body cleaning
1200 - 30km Paid Service
Total - 8.4k

I recently got throttle body cleaning first time for the Alto after 11yrs, I don't know why Honda needs to do it in just 30k kms.

I went through my previous service bills at 5k, 10k, 15k, 20k intervals.
The basic service cost is always 2-3k (including consumables)
But my total billing stands at whooping 35k after 4 services, which includes anti-rust for base at 3.5k, dry cleaning worth 3.5k(2 times) which wasn't worth it due to poor job.

I haven't had experience with Honda before, but I think they have been quoting me unnecessary things in service, but they always pose as if it is absolutely necessary for the car. Never had this issue with Maruti before.

Alto survived fine with basic servicing over 10yrs, I bet even Honda can.
I'm gonna be more careful in future, and only get something done if it's broken. I think Honda has breached my trust.

I never paid attention to all the bills till date. I am not so much so concerned about the money rather than the fact that Honda's sales team seems to be inconsiderate regarding actual minor issues in car which I ask them to correct, and are busy quoting things and building up the bill with other things.

Last edited by envy : 25th December 2012 at 12:33.
Old 25th December 2012, 13:48   #1701
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by envy View Post
The breakup for the service is (inclusive taxes)
Yes you should take a note what all jobs are to be done during service when the service adviser is making the job card and ask him to remove those things which you don't want to get done from them and they have to obey you.

Like I tell them to exclude wheel alignment/anti rust etc from the job card if they have mentioned on their own.
Old 25th December 2012, 21:06   #1702
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
^^^
One thing is for sure, Owning a Maruti is no longer a cheap affair.
On the service costs of a Honda (jazz), the service frequency is once every 5K KM, so that means comparing service costs KM to KM to the Swift (2011), the cost would be ~4K for 10K KMs?? http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/hatchb...ml#post2481104
Isn’t this comparable to the cost of an average Swift(2011) service?

My take on this is regular maintenance across different manufacturers in the same/similar class would be comparable.
Also reading Eddy's service costs - looks like inflation has caught on only to the cost of consumables in case of Maruti http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/attach...rvice-cost.xls

Owned a Santro since 2002 - done over 90K KMs, and on average the total maintenance cost came close to Rs 5500/ per annum during this time period (All servicing done wit the A.S.S).
The only major repairs during this time were
- replacement of alternator (zero cost since was covered with warranty)
- replacement of a rusted exhaust (done at a local mechanic for 40% of the quoted cost of the A.S.S).

On similar note, have a Zen that's been around since 2004, has had an average cost of Rs 4000/- per annum till date (done around 50K KMs), the major damages being due to change of the power window (switch got busted) and clutch plate lining.

For my 2011 petrol Swift, the 3rd service bill has come to Rs 4400/- with a synthetic oil change, wheel balancing and pollution check.
This would mean that till next year, I should not expect much of a damage to the pocket. Also, the I would assume that the cost should not vary drastically till the 40K/50K KM mark, since there would be a longer list of parts to be changed/adjusted.

Overall I still would think that A.S.S servicing and repairs would work out to be a safer, and Maruti's service costs have not increased substantially, and more so when viewed with the rate of inflation.
Old 26th December 2012, 10:19   #1703
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitewing View Post

For my 2011 petrol Swift, the 3rd service bill has come to Rs 4400/- with a synthetic oil change, wheel balancing and pollution check.
Can you provide the breakup of the service costs for your petrol Swift. The reason I ask is that I also did my third free service (my VXi having done just about 6800 kms in a year) yesterday, and my service bill in total came up to Rs. 1308. Please note that I specifically excluded wheel alignment and balancing, however the pollution check was done for Rs. 75. Oil filter and engine oil was also changed, but I am assuming that it was mineral oil and not synthetic that was provided to me (I did not specifically ask for synthetic oil).

I am assuming that the bulk of that Rs. 4400 for you came from the synthetic oil- is that right? Also , did you specifically ask for synthetic oil, or was that a default decision made by the service center itself?

Last edited by arindambasu13 : 26th December 2012 at 10:20.
Old 26th December 2012, 16:23   #1704
BHPian

I just had my 5 point check up as I am going for a 2500 km road trip for the new year. Unfortunately, Automotive considers these as paid services and charged Rs 1065 for paid servicing. They called to say that brake pads had worn out (my car has only done 14000km till date) and needs to be replaced which was quite surprising! I normally use a lot of engine braking which makes me wonder if the brake pads are of poor quality or is it just another way to milk the customers. I always thought brake pads last for over 20-25 thousand kms. Anyway, asked them not to replace it.

Also had them open up the dash for the multiple squeaks that were coming from in there even on smooth roads. Was quite apprehensive as I always felt the A.S.S might not have the ability to put it back together like they do in a factory. However, after delivery, I was pleasantly surprised by the manner in which they put it back. The squeaks were gone (thanks to some loose screws which are torqued correctly now) and the finish was good. Lets hope it holds up in the long run. The dash work was done for free under warranty and no labour was charged.

Had my front window sun films pulled out by the police on Sunday which left a lot of glue stains on the window. Because of this, the window was rolling down with a shudder for the first 3-5 inches. Got that fixed as well. Total hit for this job was Rs 300.

Also replaced the SWIFT badge on the boot as a few letters had come off...Rs 62

Wiper fluid = Rs 13.

In all, the total charges came up to Rs 1675 with taxes. Without the sunfilm work and the badge, it would have been Rs 1300.

Break up:

1. Grease Caliper Assay: Rs. 56.88
2. Screen was conc: Rs. 13.33
3. Paid Service: Rs. 1065.00
4. Sunfilm fixing Rs. 300
5. Swift Badge Rs. 62
6. Taxes Approx: Rs. 170

Total: Rs.1675

NOTE: No fluids were replaced or needed a top up
Old 26th December 2012, 21:09   #1705
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shome View Post
I just had my 5 point check up as I am going for a 2500 km road trip for the new year. Unfortunately, Automotive considers these as paid services and charged Rs 1065 for paid servicing. They called to say that brake pads had worn out (my car has only done 14000km till date) and needs to be replaced which was quite surprising! I normally use a lot of engine braking which makes me wonder if the brake pads are of poor quality or is it just another way to milk the customers. I always thought brake pads last for over 20-25 thousand kms. Anyway, asked them not to replace it...
You should have specifically told 'five point' general check up & should have pointed out it costs around 250/-. Infact in 2 of the A$$, I had seen proper boards with the details of the job too. This guys have taken you for a ride, the brake pad issue affirms my doubt on it. In city, the pads should last 35K kms easily. My second pad change was done after doing 55K kms on it though not in City conditions.
Old 26th December 2012, 22:15   #1706
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arindambasu13 View Post
Can you provide the breakup of the service costs for your petrol Swift. The reason I ask is that I also did my third free service (my VXi having done just about 6800 kms in a year) yesterday, and my service bill in total came up to Rs. 1308. Please note that I specifically excluded wheel alignment and balancing, however the pollution check was done for Rs. 75. Oil filter and engine oil was also changed, but I am assuming that it was mineral oil and not synthetic that was provided to me (I did not specifically ask for synthetic oil).

I am assuming that the bulk of that Rs. 4400 for you came from the synthetic oil- is that right? Also , did you specifically ask for synthetic oil, or was that a default decision made by the service center itself?
Yes the engine oil change was the major component.

The detailed break up given below.
1. Engine oil - Shell 5W-40 (3.2Lts)- Rs 3058
2. Oil filter - Rs. 73
3. Wheel weight - Rs. 78
4. Engine Oil & Filter replacement - Labour - 0
5. Battery testing - 0
6. Wheel Alignment(toe in) - Rs 250
7. Wheel balancing - Rs 300
8. Pollution check - Rs 75

The synthetic oil was by choice.
The wheel balancing is a ripoff, but the usual price anywhere else also, I guess.

arindambasu13, Can you also share the engine oil used and the volume? I thought a mineral oil would work out to be roughly half of a synthetic?
Old 27th December 2012, 08:17   #1707
Senior - BHPian

What I have seen for the new Swift is that opting for synthetic oil can almost double the service cost.

Synthetic oil with filter = 3100 (approx.)
Mineral oil with filter = 1150 (approx.)

I change oil and filter for our car every 5K (purely by choice) and I chose mineral oil for every service till now. This is not a problem since our car came with mineral oil from the factory and the first oil change was at 1000 KM.

The 20K service will be in a couple of weeks and I am still sitting on the fence with whether to go with synthetic at every 10K or mineral at every 5K. Financially, the latter makes immense sense. Good thing that Maruti has not made synthetic mandatory.
deetjohn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th December 2012, 08:59   #1708
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
You should have specifically told 'five point' general check up & should have pointed out it costs around 250/-. Infact in 2 of the A$$, I had seen proper boards with the details of the job too. This guys have taken you for a ride, the brake pad issue affirms my doubt on it. In city, the pads should last 35K kms easily. My second pad change was done after doing 55K kms on it though not in City conditions.
I actually did tell them. The job card had 5 point check up written on it. Did not haggle with them at the end but now that I think of it, I should have. Somewhere, the washing/cleaning and dashwork made me not argue with them.
Old 27th December 2012, 11:24   #1709
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitewing View Post

arindambasu13, Can you also share the engine oil used and the volume? I thought a mineral oil would work out to be roughly half of a synthetic?
The engine oil used was Mobil, however, I do not have the exact code number and volume of the oil used at the moment. If I recollect, the amount paid for the oil was Rs. 950 or so.

So it appears that this is actually less than one third of the cost of synthetic oil that you used. Of course, the volume used by my car may also have been less (?). Will check on the exact volume of oil used and get back to you.

Last edited by arindambasu13 : 27th December 2012 at 11:25.
Old 27th December 2012, 11:28   #1710
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
I change oil and filter for our car every 5K (purely by choice) and I chose mineral oil for every service till now. This is not a problem since our car came with mineral oil from the factory and the first oil change was at 1000 KM.
... Good thing that Maruti has not made synthetic mandatory.
Is synthetic oil optional only for cars that came with mineral oil from the factory or is it optional for even the newer Swift DDIs that came with synthetic from the factory?

MSM Chennai told me that it is mandatory for all new Swift DDiS that came with synthetic from factory and I would be unhappy if that is the true. My car is due for 10k service shortly and hoping that I can get away with using mineral

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks