Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 24th February 2012, 20:35   #946
BHPian

re: Maruti Swift : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by devil_klm View Post
Guys. Time to torture people who waited for swift by Maruti again. Next price hike around the corner. I called my dealership today. SE told no way i can get my car before march. Production of ZDI is very less. Silver color is available and they are ready to give it within 7 days. I dont prefer silver. Asked about VDI. It is not available but i can pay the full amount in advance and get the car for current price. Totally confused.
I am in the same boat. There is no Silver ZDI either in Chennai but only a Silver VDI ABS RITZ which I am not interested due to the color. After reading the official review on the forum about the breaks, am very skeptical about taking the new Swift VDI as an alternative. People at MSM whom we know claim that there was an issue with the breaks on the earlier batches but current ones are fine.. Unfortunately, no VDI vehicles is available for a test drive to confirm if it is true.

Does any one who has bought a new VDI recently confirm that the break issue has been fixed in LDI/VDI?
Old 24th February 2012, 21:00   #947
BHPian

I have a Vxi that I bought during Nov-2011. It has been 3+ months that I have used the Vehicle, I find the brakes sufficient and 'to be' as good as my earlier i10. But as a precaution, is it possible to check and compare the brakes (or brake booster) in my swift with that of the current batch? will it be possible to go in for better brakes, say the ones that come in Zxi/Zdi? or may be aftermarket performance brakes? (or even MGA spares - better brakes).
Old 24th February 2012, 21:05   #948
BHPian

Break issue is the reason i am also not interested for VDI. Just called the maruti helpline and no info about price hike.
Old 25th February 2012, 11:59   #949
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn
Update on filling Mineral/ Synthetic oil for new Swift
All new Swifts from VIN 179480 onwards comes with synthetic oil from the factory.
That is a useful update. Makes sense now when some diesel Swift owners claim they did not have to change oil during the first service while others say they did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bala80
Thanks for the update deetjohn.

I'm not able to understand why have a oil change interval of 10k kms for synthetic oil? It is normally 15k kms for other cars using synthetic oil, isnt it?

Given the driving conditions in India, changing the oil after every 10K km interval is not such a bad idea. 15K km interval IMO is over optimistic and is used as a selling tactic especially by the VW and Fiat guys to show lower maintenance costs. For mineral oil, interval of 5 to 7.5K seems to make sense rather than 10K. Again, these numbers could vary depending on driving conditions in your city.

Quote:
Originally Posted by devil_klm
Guys. Time to torture people who waited for swift by Maruti again. Next price hike around the corner. I called my dealership today. SE told no way i can get my car before march. Production of ZDI is very less. Silver color is available and they are ready to give it within 7 days. I dont prefer silver. Asked about VDI. It is not available but i can pay the full amount in advance and get the car for current price. Totally confused.
ZDi production has always been low. Looks like Maruti does not want to promote this variant. I am sure there are enough ZDi bookings to warrant a larger production. Or is this due to the new DZire effect?

Last edited by fuel_addict : 25th February 2012 at 12:00.
Old 25th February 2012, 14:33   #950
BHPian

My dealer is telling the next price hike is due to budget. Min of 4K and up to 15K for all cars he is telling. In effect this will be the 3rd price hike for me after booking. and above that we can expect green tax.
devil_klm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th February 2012, 14:48   #951
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuel_addict View Post
Given the driving conditions in India, changing the oil after every 10K km interval is not such a bad idea.15K km interval IMO is over optimistic and is used as a selling tactic especially by the VW and Fiat guys to show lower maintenance costs.
Huh! Then how do you justify Maruti for making customer change the oil at 10k irrespective of whether the oil is mineral or synthetic? Your remarks makes me feel that Maruti were pushing the interval of mineral oil too far so as to make the maintenance costs lower.

Does the Maruti Swift use semi-synthetic or fully synthetic oil? AFAIK, VW & FIAT uses semi-synthetic oil.
Old 25th February 2012, 15:14   #952
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devil_klm View Post
My dealer is telling the next price hike is due to budget. Min of 4K and up to 15K for all cars he is telling. In effect this will be the 3rd price hike for me after booking. and above that we can expect green tax.
I don't think this is a price hike per se. Your dealer is referring to the increase in excise duty on cars, which happens in every budget and car prices go up by say 5k(for a car in Swift's price range) year on year.

The actual price hike was what Maruti did in November an January, which pushed the car's cost by 30-36k depending on the road taxes applicable in your state.
Old 25th February 2012, 15:41   #953
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
T
Given the driving conditions in India, changing the oil after every 10K km interval is not such a bad idea. 15K km interval IMO is over optimistic and is used as a selling tactic especially by the VW and Fiat guys to show lower maintenance costs. For mineral oil, interval of 5 to 7.5K seems to make sense rather than 10K. Again, these numbers could vary depending on driving conditions in your city.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klub Class View Post
Huh! Then how do you justify Maruti for making customer change the oil at 10k irrespective of whether the oil is mineral or synthetic? Your remarks makes me feel that Maruti were pushing the interval of mineral oil too far so as to make the maintenance costs lower.
Does the Maruti Swift use semi-synthetic or fully synthetic oil? AFAIK, VW & FIAT uses semi-synthetic oil.
Heard that Maruti is asknig Swift owners to change the oil to synthetic during first service, how can we justify that?

I have changed the engine oil of my Punto two times according to the service guidelines. I have not faced any issues due to NOT changing the oil within 10K kms. Not even lack of smoothness or anything. My friend recently got his car's engine oil also changed after 15K kms. He didn't notice much difference either.
Old 25th February 2012, 15:54   #954
Senior - BHPian

Not really. When the manufacturer recommends it, wouldn't they have taken into consideration the harsh operating conditions? They cannot provide warranty on their engine components if it is just a marketing tactic and they would know their engines better than anyone of us here. Maruti has recommended mineral oil change interval of 10k for earlier swift's. I have always changed oil at 10k for my swift and have never had an issue.

Ofcourse, no one is going to stop you from doing it any earlier if you personally feel good about it, but the manufacturer cannot force it on you. You will end up with a service bill of close to 8 -10k for 10k km's and do you think it is acceptable for a car like swift?

Quote:

Old 25th February 2012, 18:43   #955
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax

Heard that Maruti is asknig Swift owners to change the oil to synthetic during first service, how can we justify that?
They should not make this mandatory. It is uncalled for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax
I have changed the engine oil of my Punto two times according to the service guidelines. I have not faced any issues due to NOT changing the oil within 10K kms. Not even lack of smoothness or anything. My friend recently got his car's engine oil also changed after 15K kms. He didn't notice much difference either.
I am sure you won't feel the change even if you change the oil after 20K km. I would check the colour of the oil after say 5-7.5K km (for normal oil) and then take a call. For synthetic, I would stretch that to 10K km. The longevity of the engine is what improves with a shorter interval for the oil change. Short term benefits or ill effects will not be tangible even if you change or not change the oil after the short interval I mentioned above.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bala80

Ofcourse, no one is going to stop you from doing it any earlier if you personally feel good about it, but the manufacturer cannot force it on you. You will end up with a service bill of close to 8 -10k for 10k km's and do you think it is acceptable for a car like swift?
How did you arrive at 8-10K? I would suspect with synthetic oil plus regular servicing, your bill should be around 5K. Again this is assuming no major parts other than oil filter are changed.

Last edited by fuel_addict : 25th February 2012 at 18:45.
Old 25th February 2012, 19:40   #956
Senior - BHPian

Old swift used to take 3.1 litres of oil. Synthetic oil alone would come close to 5k, and add the rest of the components, your bill would easily touch 8k if not more. I'm talking about DDIS here.

My Old swift used to cost me around 5k for every 10k service.

Quote:
How did you arrive at 8-10K? I would suspect with synthetic oil plus regular servicing, your bill should be around 5K. Again this is assuming no major parts other than oil filter are changed.
Old 25th February 2012, 23:16   #957

Re: Compatible bluetooth for Swift 2011 Zxi / Zdi

Quote:
Originally Posted by amrithraj.sagar View Post
Hey folks,
It is pretty sad that the Swift 2011 high end versions, the Zxi and Zdi, do not come equipped with bluetooth. And when I enquired with the local Maruti dealer, they said the add-on bluetooth adapters had been withdrawn due to some issues in pairing with certain mobile devices. Has anyone found a compatible device that can be integrated with the factory-fitted audio system? Any pointers on the make / model would be highly appreciated.
Cheers,
Amrith
I had mentioned on this thread on the bluetooth accessory I bought. Its the "Scosche bluetooth Hands free and streaming audio kit" and it works well with the factory fitted system
Old 25th February 2012, 23:20   #958
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post

Guys its all in how to talk to SA. there is no written rule that you have to shift to synthetic. I spoke to GM of a car showroom here and that is what he said. IT is recommended that is all. Now, it is your call to take it or leave.
Old 25th February 2012, 23:21   #959

There is a strange phenomenon am seeing, hope my car is not the only one on this. When I switch on the ACC, for the first minute there is a foul smell emitted and then it is normal. When i asked the Service Enginer, he said all swifts will have this issue - something to do with the plastic in the car!! I was not convinced with his explanation.

In the meanwhile FE seems to be getting a bit better, now getting 16.5 with 50% AC. Still seems less though. Unfortunately now , the car is being driven by 3 people ..so very different driving styles are also adding , I guess
Old 25th February 2012, 23:33   #960
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nri199 View Post
There is a strange phenomenon am seeing, hope my car is not the only one on this. When I switch on the ACC, for the first minute there is a foul smell emitted and then it is normal. When i asked the Service Enginer, he said all swifts will have this issue - something to do with the plastic in the car!! I was not convinced with his explanation.
I had this complained during delivery, 1st service and 2nd service. was never fixed. Escalated and spoke to GM of service and the vehicle will be taken on Monday for the same reason.

Most Viewed