Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th December 2012, 12:34   #1681
BHPian

re: Maruti Swift : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by indian21r View Post
Any idea what is the buzzing sound when the ignition is turned on. Have been hearing it for the past few days in my ZDi. The sound remains even after the car is started

Well my sister's car completed a year and 14200 km yesterday. A couple of rattles are there but not at irritant level yet. Average remains at a steady 16.3 kmpl. With full tank range never exceeding 580 km.
The buzzing noise could be of the fuel pump; but it normally is so faint that it will be impossible to hear over the engine noise once you crank it up. It could be something else and is advisable to get it checked from MASS. This will sound stupid and highly unlikely but is it noise from FM...some static maybe if the station is not selected etc.

16.3 kmpl is okay but I guess that it is driven mostly in bumper to bumper traffic? I consistently get close to 630 to 650 kms for a tankful with full AC. MID shows around 18.4 kmpl.
Old 20th December 2012, 14:39   #1682
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Guess that's the fuel pump or fuel lines getting activated. Ideally that should go off after 5-10 seconds. I always crank the engine once the sound goes off.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shome View Post
The buzzing noise could be of the fuel pump; but it normally is so faint that it will be impossible to hear over the engine noise once you crank it up. It could be something else and is advisable to get it checked from MASS. This will sound stupid and highly unlikely but is it noise from FM...some static maybe if the station is not selected etc.

16.3 kmpl is okay but I guess that it is driven mostly in bumper to bumper traffic? I consistently get close to 630 to 650 kms for a tankful with full AC. MID shows around 18.4 kmpl.
Fuel pump; I will observe the next time I drive the car.

Not worried about the average as such. just wondering how is the rest of the world managing such high mileages in the range of 20-24 kmpl etc.
Old 20th December 2012, 15:23   #1683
BHPian

Quote:
just wondering how is the rest of the world managing such high mileages in the range of 20-24 kmpl etc.
If you wish you can try changing your driving style a bit, affects the average a lot, no offence intended.
For example you might be driving the car at too low or too high rpms at any given gear, I have noticed that I can improve my mileage by 1kmpl easily by just changing my average rpm by 500.
I also don't care much about the mileage but I got long drives to make, so I pass time by doing such experiments :P
Old 20th December 2012, 15:42   #1684
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Not worried about the average as such. just wondering how is the rest of the world managing such high mileages in the range of 20-24 kmpl etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by envy View Post
If you wish you can try changing your driving style a bit, affects the average a lot, no offence intended.
For example you might be driving the car at too low or too high rpms at any given gear, I have noticed that I can improve my mileage by 1kmpl easily by just changing my average rpm by 500.
I also don't care much about the mileage but I got long drives to make, so I pass time by doing such experiments :P
I wonder how you people manage to achieve such good averages. My FE is in the range of 14kmpl in bumper to bumper city traffic, 17-19 in highway drives. AC on at all the times. I have tried changing my driving styles, but could manage a difference of only ~0.5-1 kmpl in city. I try to keep the revs between 1k and 2k all the time for better FE.
Old 20th December 2012, 18:55   #1685
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
...Not worried about the average as such. just wondering how is the rest of the world managing such high mileages in the range of 20-24 kmpl etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jingaboysr View Post

I wonder how you people manage to achieve such good averages. My FE is in the range of 14kmpl in bumper to bumper city traffic, 17-19 in highway drives. AC on at all the times. I have tried changing my driving styles, but could manage a difference of only ~0.5-1 kmpl in city. I try to keep the revs between 1k and 2k all the time for better FE.
Anything above 20 is difficult with 2+ people on board. Also the traffic / road conditions should be ideal to attain such figures. Very less braking & gearshifts, consistent speeds around 100 etc are required to achieve it.

And above 100 kmph, the mileage drop is quite quick.
Old 22nd December 2012, 10:54   #1686
BHPian

Quote:
Anything above 20 is difficult with 2+ people on board. Also the traffic / road conditions should be ideal to attain such figures. Very less braking & gearshifts, consistent speeds around 100 etc are required to achieve it.

And above 100 kmph, the mileage drop is quite quick.
Simple thumb rule based on observation, sedate driving = higher mileage. Better for the environment, but in a swift?

Maintaining the "right" gear (with a preference to a higher gear), and not pushing the throttle hard, then, achieving 20+ KMPL mileage on highway is easy (even when doing 80+ KMPH), although it entails a slightly longer drive time.

Also, driving in the 60-80 KMPH range, in 5th gear, on flat surfaces lead to the instantaneous mileage in the dash to to display 30 KMPL (and it never goes above that). Although the average fuel consumption and the instantaneous burn some how do not co-relate with the data we get from tank to tank calculation method.
Old 22nd December 2012, 19:27   #1687
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jingaboysr View Post
Even I used to wonder, and tried every method to achieve those insane figures, but maximum I have got is 19.8 with AC. Otherwise, even mine is returning almost similar figures as yours.

Service Update: My ZDi went for the 20k service yesterday. Total Bill~8k, all fluids & filters were changed except coolant. Car is running butter smooth once properly warmed up. Maruti service being cheaper than others is just a myth now, I guess even Polo & Vento's service cost the same and that too at 15k intervals instead of 10k for Swift.

Last edited by ScorpMan : 22nd December 2012 at 19:29.
Old 22nd December 2012, 21:30   #1688
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScorpMan View Post
Service Update: My ZDi went for the 20k service yesterday. Total Bill~8k, all fluids & filters were changed except coolant. Car is running butter smooth once properly warmed up. Maruti service being cheaper than others is just a myth now, I guess even Polo & Vento's service cost the same and that too at 15k intervals instead of 10k for Swift.
I agree service costs have increased overall for these newer cars...
I have a 10yr old Alto and the highest ever I paid for a service was 7k and that too included a lot of overhauling, it was due for a long time, the car was a pleasure to drive after that. Anyhow, in general the service costs are almost half 2-3k (even after 10k kms)

But other brands seem expensive, got the ivtec Honda City serviced today, 30k kms, 8.5k.
I am dreading my Polo service, the first one is still long to go but they quote 6k-9k as estimate for all services.

But sadly the service staff is still not professional enough, be it Maruti or Honda.
Old 22nd December 2012, 23:02   #1689
BHPian

How many of you have actually gone for the 15k 4th service that the dealers are suggesting these days? Is it necessary? Has this actually come from Maruti as the manual says its every 10000 kms? Mine is due but I am wondering if I should go for it. Have a 2500 km-7 day road trip planned for the new year.
Old 23rd December 2012, 01:36   #1690
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
....Anyhow, in general the service costs are almost half 2-3k (even after 10k kms)

But other brands seem expensive, got the ivtec Honda City serviced today, 30k kms, 8.5k....
Comparing the service costs of a 3L car to a 10L car is the most insane thing one can do! If you noticed, the service costs of Swift is at par with a Honda City (which is almost a 40% more expensive vehicle)! Now tell us whether Maruti service is expensive or Honda is expensive!

Quote:
How many of you have actually gone for the 15k 4th service that the dealers are suggesting these days? Is it necessary? Has this actually come from Maruti as the manual says its every 10000 kms? Mine is due but I am wondering if I should go for it. Have a 2500 km-7 day road trip planned for the new year.
15K service is not required. But since you are going for a long drive, I suggest a 5 point general check up to be done. Will cost a mere 250/-. They check all fluids, clean the airfilter & top up fluids if required. Work should be over in 15-30 mins.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 23rd December 2012 at 01:40.
swiftnfurious is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2012, 09:25   #1691
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Comparing the service costs of a 3L car to a 10L car is the most insane thing one can do!
Comparing diesel and petrol car servicing cost is also not correct
narayan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2012, 12:01   #1692
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post
Comparing diesel and petrol car servicing cost is also not correct
Agreed! Overlooked the diesel part. Even on a petrol to petrol comparo, Swift's service cost is NOT cheap by any standards! Definitely not 40% less than a Honda City service costs. From what I understand a petrol service cost will roughly be 2K less than a diesel Swift which still IS expensive! (happy to correct if proper data speaks).

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 23rd December 2012 at 12:02.
Old 23rd December 2012, 14:19   #1693
BHPian

Quote:
Comparing the service costs of a 3L car to a 10L car is the most insane thing one can do! If you noticed, the service costs of Swift is at par with a Honda City (which is almost a 40% more expensive vehicle)! Now tell us whether Maruti service is expensive or Honda is expensive!
FYI the City is a 1.5L car and Swift a 1.2L car, (3L and 10L ?? that's insane) I have inquired about the service cost of Jazz (1.2L) also, they are similar. Even considering the diesel factor, the costs are at par.

Honda is not at all cheap, I have shelled out over 20k in 3 services after the so called free ones, in mere 2.5yrs of ownership.
The previous gen City wasn't as costly to maintain.

The 40% price diff does not account for service cost difference, it accounts for the segment diff, length, engine and primarily the excise duty due to bigger engine.

At intervals of 15k, 20k and now 30k, they always have excuse to do some some kind of cleaning, fluid change etc.

The point is the spare parts, cleaning, fluids cost of newer vehicles is much more than the ones bought half a decade or earlier, these costs are in multiples. The cost increase is flat across all the brands.
Old 23rd December 2012, 15:01   #1694
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
But other brands seem expensive, got the ivtec Honda City serviced today, 30k kms, 8.5k.
Can you please share the break up of the 8.5K amount?
Old 24th December 2012, 09:24   #1695
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
FYI the City is a 1.5L car and Swift a 1.2L car, (3L and 10L ?? that's insane) I have inquired about the service cost of Jazz (1.2L) also, they are similar. Even considering the diesel factor, the costs are at par...
Wow! Thanks for enlightening me. In your post you were talking about Alto which is a 3L (lakh) car & City which is a 10L (lakh) car. And then I brought Swift into the discussion.

Did you really assume that I meant Alto / Swift is a 3L (litre) & City is a 10L (litre) car?

Quote:
Honda is not at all cheap, I have shelled out over 20k in 3 services after the so called free ones, in mere 2.5yrs of ownership...
I didn't claim City is cheap! But please note that the service cost of City is at par with a hatch (Swift) which is 1 or 2 segments below and from a brand synonymous to cheap A$$. Now its for people to decipher whether Swift is expensive to maintain or City is cheap to maintain, based on the cost comparo!

Quote:
The 40% price diff does not account for service cost difference, it accounts for the segment diff, length, engine and primarily the excise duty due to bigger engine.
Could you define 'segment diff'? A car which is built using better quality marterials are bound to be expensive from a maintenance / service / repair costs. By your logic, a Fiat 500 or a VW Beetle should have same service costs since they belong to the same segment as a Swift or a Vista by virtue of length, tax benefits, engine size etc!

Quote:
At intervals of 15k, 20k and now 30k, they always have excuse to do some some kind of cleaning, fluid change etc.
Its on the owners to understand what all includes in each service! They have the right & responsibility to check, question, verify additional items on the job card & reject unwanted items before signing off. The ones who get fleeced are the ones who don't do their ground work.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 24th December 2012 at 09:25.
swiftnfurious is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks