Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th February 2013, 16:27   #1771
BHPian

re: Maruti Swift : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain_slow View Post

My mind says Polo is better VFM with its latest features (ACC, bluetooth, USB/AUX) and better quality but my heart says Swift simply because of its handling.
If handling is the criteria, then Swift is an all-rounder but not the best. Here the king still is the Punto and Figo is good as well. Do check out the Punto. A.S.S is dicey for Fiat but I do think the issues are over-hyped. Maintenance wise more expensive. The 3 cylinder TDI in the Polo is a deal breaker for me. Definitely not up to standards

Turbo does not get damaged or under-performs massively due to lack of service in my opinion. Probably, the engine oil hasn't been changed as per schedule. However, I find it very unusual that the TD car is not maintained with missed services. Let us know if anything changes after your second TD
Old 10th February 2013, 19:55   #1772
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I'll be going for another TD I've asked the SA to arrange for a car that had not been abused during TD.
PLEASE do NOT agree to TD on a customer's car or a new one to be delivered to someone. Most dealerships will have ONLY one TD car (unless they bring the TD car from another branch), so my gut feel is he might bring you a customer's car. Why don't you go to another dealer & try out the car there?

Quote:
The SA agreed to this and when I enquired about the Turbo, SA told me that the vehicle is due for service which is why the turbo was not performing up to its mark.
CRAP!! Turbo hadly has performance issues because of the time to service. And for 24,000 kms, the service should have been done at 20,000 kms and NOTHING can go wrong / reduce in performance in 4000 kms in a Swift. At best it needs an air filter cleaning, nothing more.

Quote:
....Prices in Bangalore have increased by up to 50K but there have been no added features Maruti is charging so much simply because it can .
If you noticed, all other manufacturers also would have raised the prices in the very same time. NOT saying that Maruti is a great pick at this price point, still!

Quote:
My mind says Polo is better VFM with its latest features (ACC, bluetooth, USB/AUX) and better quality but my heart says Swift simply because of its handling.
Have you TDed Polo? Polo should be equally good or better than Swift in handling.

May I know what other cars have you TDed along with Swift? Would like to know your feedback on others too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shome View Post
...Do check out the Punto. A.S.S is dicey for Fiat but I do think the issues are over-hyped. Maintenance wise more expensive...
Do you mean to say Punto is more expensive to maintain? If Swift uses synthetic oil, Punto should undercut it on service costs. Also remember Swift goes for service every 10K kms (even with synthetic oil) but Punto at 15,000 kms. So there is one extra service required for Swift every 30,000 kms compared to Punto.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 10th February 2013 at 19:59.
Old 10th February 2013, 20:56   #1773
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufus_M View Post
If handling is THE factor, you can look at the Punto too. Swift @ 8.66 lakhs is just not worth it IMHO.

Well, the choice is yours :-). But when it comes to resale, Swift wins hands down.
Hey Rufus, I didn't choose the Punto. I had three cars in mind the i20, Polo and Swift. i20 was ruled out because of the steering.

Quote:
If handling is the criteria, then Swift is an all-rounder but not the best. Do check out the Punto. A.S.S is dicey for Fiat. Maintenance wise more expensive. The 3 cylinder TDI in the Polo is a deal breaker for me. Definitely not up to standards
The 3 cylinder engine of the polo is disappointing indeed but the build quality negates the effect. I did not choose the Punto had three vehicles in mind i20, Polo and Swift. Didn't choose the i20 because of the steering (its like putting your hand in butter).

Quote:
Turbo does not get damaged or under-performs massively due to lack of service in my opinion.TD
I'll get to do another TD after the vehicle is back from service hopefully this time it'll be in better condition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
PLEASE do NOT agree to TD on a customer's car or a new one to be delivered to someone. Most dealerships will have ONLY one TD car (unless they bring the TD car from another branch), so my gut feel is he might bring you a customer's car. Why don't you go to another dealer & try out the car there?
I certainly agree with you every owner treats his car well. I will not go for a TD of a car that does not have Test Drive graphics on it.

Quote:
CRAP!! Turbo hadly has performance issues because of the time to service. And for 24,000 kms, the service should have been done at 20,000 kms and NOTHING can go wrong / reduce in performance in 4000 kms in a Swift. At best it needs an air filter cleaning, nothing more.
The SA kept insisting that the car hadn't been for service and it had been abused after many TD. I'll be getting to go on a TD again will let you know how it went.

Quote:
If you noticed, all other manufacturers also would have raised the prices in the very same time. NOT saying that Maruti is a great pick at this price point, still!
Hyundai has increased prices by 20,000/- INR
Volkswagen has increased prices by 12,000/- INR
If Maruti has placed the Swift in the price segment of the VW and Hyundai the build quality should be better. I don't have any problems with the car its handling is superb, suspension very good but the interior plastic has that 'tak-tak' noise that is perilous with thin plastic and the buttons on the driver side, why didn't they think to put better designed buttons, after all this is the best seller in Maruti they should have taken more care in making it better.

Quote:
Have you TDed Polo? Polo should be equally good or better than Swift in handling.

May I know what other cars have you TDed along with Swift? Would like to know your feedback on others too.
I did a TD of Polo, i20 and Swift. Here's what I think about them

The i20 is loaded with features some of these features are not even in a top end sedan for this price. The seat is fantastic it offers excellent lumbar support and the space at the back seat is good, the quality of the interior superb they feel premium and long lasting. When I did a TD of the car I was immediately disappointed with its steering. The steering can be controlled with one finger certainly not confidence inspiring I couldn't feel where the tires where and was guessing as to which way they were pointed.

The Polo: Sit inside and everything is good. The build quality, paint, interiors and its latest features are all mucho grande. Took a TD of the car and felt it is a class apart from other vehicles it had everything pinned to almost perfection. The looks of the car very good, cabin and interior feel very good, seats offer good lumbar support. The rear leg room space comes at a premium though. Ride quality is plush and the bumps are hardly felt, suspension is good sitting back during the TD I couldn't feel the bumps even when my friend took a harsh road filled with potholes at 40 kmph. My gripes the 3 cylinder engine is a bit harsh though its not very noisy, the engine rattles(vibrates) a bit other than this I have absolutely nothing to complain about this car.

The Swift: I was excited when I sat inside this car I immediately felt like I was in a roller coaster ride. The car changes direction like a bee and the suspension is amazing, the car hugs the road like a terrified toddler holding its mothers hands. Seats offer good lumbar support under thigh support is good not great though, looks are good and it feels young, AC is a chiller, the audio system is good, steering feels almost hydraulic type and there is no body roll. The quality of the car not good. The paint job does not make it stand apart from other cars and has a lackluster feel. The dashboard is made of low grade plastic and the black interiors made me feel claustrophobic.

I'm deciding between the Swift and Polo. At 8.66 Lakhs OTR Bangalore, Swift is demanding a premium that its not offering in terms of quality. Polo is 8.77 Lakhs OTR Bangalore with a better fit and finish definitely VFM.
D'Artagnan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th February 2013, 22:52   #1774
Senior - BHPian

If you liked swift's handling and suspension,try a punto once especially the 90 HP ,once.
And fiat's spares and service are not expensive at all and after sales issues are over hyped.
Old 10th February 2013, 23:13   #1775
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
If you liked swift's handling and suspension,try a punto once especially the 90 HP ,once.
And fiat's spares and service are not expensive at all and after sales issues are over hyped.
Was about to tell the same as you said, but OP has clearly mentioned he isn't looking for a Punto.
To each, his own
Old 11th February 2013, 07:44   #1776
BHPian

Quote:

Hey Rufus, I didn't choose the Punto. I had three cars in mind the i20, Polo and Swift. i20 was ruled out because of the steering.

The 3 cylinder engine of the polo is disappointing indeed but the build quality negates the effect. I did not choose the Punto had three vehicles in mind i20, Polo and Swift. Didn't choose the i20 because of the steering (its like putting your hand in butter).

I'll get to do another TD after the vehicle is back from service hopefully this time it'll be in better condition.

I certainly agree with you every owner treats his car well. I will not go for a TD of a car that does not have Test Drive graphics on it.

The SA kept insisting that the car hadn't been for service and it had been abused after many TD. I'll be getting to go on a TD again will let you know how it went.

Hyundai has increased prices by 20,000/- INR
Volkswagen has increased prices by 12,000/- INR
If Maruti has placed the Swift in the price segment of the VW and Hyundai the build quality should be better. I don't have any problems with the car its handling is superb, suspension very good but the interior plastic has that 'tak-tak' noise that is perilous with thin plastic and the buttons on the driver side, why didn't they think to put better designed buttons, after all this is the best seller in Maruti they should have taken more care in making it better.

I did a TD of Polo, i20 and Swift. Here's what I think about them

The i20 is loaded with features some of these features are not even in a top end sedan for this price. The seat is fantastic it offers excellent lumbar support and the space at the back seat is good, the quality of the interior superb they feel premium and long lasting. When I did a TD of the car I was immediately disappointed with its steering. The steering can be controlled with one finger certainly not confidence inspiring I couldn't feel where the tires where and was guessing as to which way they were pointed.

The Polo: Sit inside and everything is good. The build quality, paint, interiors and its latest features are all mucho grande. Took a TD of the car and felt it is a class apart from other vehicles it had everything pinned to almost perfection. The looks of the car very good, cabin and interior feel very good, seats offer good lumbar support. The rear leg room space comes at a premium though. Ride quality is plush and the bumps are hardly felt, suspension is good sitting back during the TD I couldn't feel the bumps even when my friend took a harsh road filled with potholes at 40 kmph. My gripes the 3 cylinder engine is a bit harsh though its not very noisy, the engine rattles(vibrates) a bit other than this I have absolutely nothing to complain about this car.

The Swift: I was excited when I sat inside this car I immediately felt like I was in a roller coaster ride. The car changes direction like a bee and the suspension is amazing, the car hugs the road like a terrified toddler holding its mothers hands. Seats offer good lumbar support under thigh support is good not great though, looks are good and it feels young, AC is a chiller, the audio system is good, steering feels almost hydraulic type and there is no body roll. The quality of the car not good. The paint job does not make it stand apart from other cars and has a lackluster feel. The dashboard is made of low grade plastic and the black interiors made me feel claustrophobic.

I'm deciding between the Swift and Polo. At 8.66 Lakhs OTR Bangalore, Swift is demanding a premium that its not offering in terms of quality. Polo is 8.77 Lakhs OTR Bangalore with a better fit and finish definitely VFM.

I think captain is right. To add on you can also add various discounts available on polo that may be on offer like Corporate discounts, Insurance waiver etc. You can also bargain for some more, however AFAIK maruti would not give any discounts on Swift.
rahulk2510 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th February 2013, 12:37   #1777
BHPian

Quote:

I was in the exact same dilemma few months ago.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...pressions.html

Very rightly summarized review of your TDs, i agree with your observations.

To add to some details, the ground hugging characteristic is not unique to Swift, the Polo also has an amazing grip and planted road presence at all speeds it is even more noticed when you throw the car around a large turn like at a flyover, underpass etc, the drive exudes such confidence that even at 70-80kmph you feel you can go faster w/o any body roll.
I'm not sure if it's the car alone, or it's the effect of those 15" rubber on HL, it works great.

The drive in Polo is more sedate as compared to Swift indeed, but that doesnt mean it's boring, when put in the right gear and rpm the car is swift enough. Not to mention that the car doesn't run out of breath at highway speeds though the noise level is more compared to japanese engines, It doesnt sound bad.

But if you are looking to burn rubber, or do drag stunt at red lights, Polo is not the car. Swift is a looker too, but far more common in big cities now.

Last edited by envy : 11th February 2013 at 12:39.
Old 12th February 2013, 20:49   #1778
BHPian

@captain_slow
The new Swift is a delight to drive despite the turbo lag. The turbo boost is smoothened now & the car is driveable post 1500 rpm.After 2000 rpms it is excellent and never felt short of power with a/c and full load. The ride is much more improved than the old swift without any compromise in its handling. The interior looks good and if you are bothered about the black interior, why don't you pick up the Dzire which has better boot space, dual tone interior, a bit more plush ride and better rear seat. IMHO, the new Dzire is basically a extended hatch more than a sedan i.e. almost all the frills of the swift plus some better stuff.

However as others have mentioned, Swift's quality of build, painting and plastics is a big let down considering the cost of the car. My car already rattles (boot door, b-pillars, door plastics), is a scratch magnet both inside and outside. I guess the premium it demands is more due to availability of a.s.s all over India, quick availability of spare parts, re-sale value than the quality of the car itself which MSIL seems to be milking the market every bit.

On an different note, after the recent oil change on my ZDI to Shell synthetic at 10k (the car came up with synthetic from the factory), I am delighted with the smoothness and reduced nvh levels. Have tried Mobil1, mobil delvac mx, and Shell helix ultra My recent experience with Shell synthetic for my car, my bro-in laws old swift and my friends Vista has been pretty good.

Last edited by Sridhar K : 12th February 2013 at 20:52.
Old 13th February 2013, 00:00   #1779
Distinguished - BHPian

Had a TD of the new Swift today. Really liked all the improvements. I could actually feel the turbo surge and power delivery didn't really look linear - it's NOT as violent as the previous fen though. Superb suspension, damps well and there is no bumpiness like the previous gen. The NVH levels are good, and there is NOT much noise creeping in (in-spite of the claimed thinner windows). Liked the interior bits too. In fact, I guess, I found it a bit more spacious compared to the previous gen as well.

What I did NOT like - rattles! The 7K done TD car had enough rattles from the rear, but I guess it's still better than the previous gen. The way prices have gone for ZDi, I had my heart in my mouth when I looked at the quote!!

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 13th February 2013 at 00:01.
Old 13th February 2013, 01:18   #1780
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quality and VFM are a very subjective.
When you think about quality, I would recommend that you also think of durability, support quality which are very related.
And with VFM, you should also be considering cost of maintenance and re-sale value.

If you are ok with the space, ergonomics and braking of the Swift ( these were the 3 reasons that went against Swift, when I had it as one of the potential buys ) ,
Swift is a fantastic buy.

End of the day, there is no good or bad car. Everything boils down to the requirements and constraints of the buyer.
Old 13th February 2013, 07:58   #1781
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I'm deciding between the Swift and Polo.
If you're thinking about the ZDi, please take a look at the long term ownership review of our car. http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...km-review.html

I have tried to keep it as objective as possible. Some TDs along with the information on the thread will help you decide better.

I recall your handle when I was a active on the Figo thread. I am a huge TG fan. You had a petrol Figo, isn't it?
Old 20th February 2013, 20:55   #1782
BHPian

I think two things are never going to change - Swift's rattle and i20's vague steering.

Recently drove my friend's 2012 VDi. Rattles all over the car. I haven't heard a single one from my 4 year old Getz CRDi. Maruti clearly knows the market and is giving just what's needed - A superb handling car with gem of an engine.
Vdrive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th February 2013, 22:28   #1783
Senior - BHPian

I too have to agree that although it rattles less than the previous model the new Swift does rattle a bit and most of it seems to come from the rear. I narrowed the source of most rattles to the rear parcel shelf, i removed it and now things are a lot better i don't need that anyway. I think some extra foam insert to hold the shelf tightly when the hatch is closed should reduce it the noise.
Old 24th February 2013, 12:46   #1784
BHPian

what are the options to have a bluetooth system for phones in the Zdi?

on the forum, most reviews are for Jabra in car bluetooth speakers which seems like a stand alone speaker which hooks to the visor.

What i would want is a kit that connects the phone to the car speakers. and not so expensive. the Jabra comes in at almost 7k!
Old 24th February 2013, 14:50   #1785
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
...I narrowed the source of most rattles to the rear parcel shelf, i removed it and now things are a lot better i don't need that anyway.
I was told that a parcel tray is better to get the cabin chilled quicker as it actually kind of seals the vacant boot space. Not sure from a technical point of view, but makes sense logically.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
I think some extra foam insert to hold the shelf tightly when the hatch is closed should reduce it the noise.
This is what I have done very recently on my 2008 Swift. Looks like there are enough rattles still coming from the hatch plastic and also while turning hard, some left-right sliding of something! Can't figure it out as I don't have ANY loose objects in the boot.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks