Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd May 2015, 20:31   #2521
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
As I am not very satisfied with my Grand i10, test drove the Swift.

Petrol version I drove was lxi. But found the brakes to be very, very poor.

Can anybody confirm the brake feel and performance on non ABS models ?
My colleague has just bought a Swift VDi two months back, the non - ABS variant.

I have extensively driven that car plus was accompanying him from TD till delivery stages. Never did I feel that it had weak brakes.

Not sure of Petrol ones but diesel is good enough.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2015, 21:28   #2522
BHPian

re: Review: 2nd-gen Maruti Swift (2011 - 2017)

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
My colleague has just bought a Swift VDi two months back, the non - ABS variant.
Is Swift Vdi non-ABS variant still available ?
Old 23rd May 2015, 22:14   #2523
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grand Drive View Post

Is Swift Vdi non-ABS variant still available ?
Pre-facelift version it is. He got hefty discounts on it hence went for it. It is one of the few last cars with that dealer.
Old 23rd May 2015, 22:30   #2524
BHPian

Quote:
As I am not very satisfied with my Grand i10, test drove the Swift.

Petrol version I drove was lxi. But found the brakes to be very, very poor. Reminded me of my Bajaj Caliber with drum brakes.
Quote:
What concerns me is brakes.
The car I drove had done only 4.8 kms., and this could be a parameter as even the tyres would not have run in.
Can anybody confirm the brake feel and performance on non ABS models ?
We have a Swift VXI at home and I find its braking to be adequate.
At low speeds I have no issues with the braking, but while braking from high speeds, say even 70-80, I always feel that I am loosing grip. But isn't this the case with all the Non ABS cars? It might also be due to the fact that we are still running on those puny 165mm tires which are highly, yes highly insufficient for a car like Swift. An upgrade to 185mm is a must.

Also please bear in mind that you are coming from a Grand i10 which has super sensitive brakes.

But one thing I can definitely say is that our car's braking feels much better at currently 5k kms than what it was when we took delivery. Also my friends 2013 VXI which has done 30k kms, brakes better than my VXI. Don't know why.

But please take multiple Test drives and don't leave any doubt in your mind, especially the braking.

Quote:
Mid range of new Swift is flat, top end is fair enough.
You test drove an LXI which doesn't have a tachometer and beyond the 3000 rpm the car is simply a beast. Okay, saying it a beast might be too much but what I mean to say is that it accelerates rather well. The way this K series engine revvs is quite addictive.
Anything above 1500 rpm is good enough but below that the car feels dead.
Grand i10 petrol has a slight advantage here.
But I have never find the low end rpm to be weak as I have learned to work up the gears. I find that 1800-2500 rpm is the sweet spot. Anything above it is always fun.

Quote:
It felt as if the engine was literally starving to get more fuel, but that is how they have tuned even the K14B in Ciaz.
I haven't driven the recently facelifted Swift petrol but maybe they have de-tuned the engine even further as its ARAI FE ratings have increased is what I have heard.
And these guys can do anything just to publish those high FE numbers in the newspapers and everywhere.
Try TDing the pre facelifted Swift to have an idea.
Sherlocked is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th May 2015, 09:26   #2525
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I have extensively driven that car plus was accompanying him from TD till delivery stages. Never did I feel that it had weak brakes.

Not sure of Petrol ones but diesel is good enough.
Thanks for the input A4anurag. The car I drove was just out of transit truck. About 4 kms. on odo., may be the brakes and tyres were not run in at that time.

The petrol lxi I test drove was at Kataria Automobiles ( a dealer ) and went to another dealer for petrol non abs version test ( Kiran Motors ), but they did not have petrol variant for test drive. Diesel was zdi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherlocked View Post
At low speeds I have no issues with the braking, but while braking from high speeds, say even 70-80, I always feel that I am loosing grip. But isn't this the case with all the Non ABS cars? ...

But one thing I can definitely say is that our car's braking feels much better at currently 5k kms than what it was when we took delivery. Also my friends 2013 VXI which has done 30k kms, brakes better than my VXI. Don't know why.

But please take multiple Test drives and don't leave any doubt in your mind, especially the braking.

You test drove an LXI which doesn't have a tachometer and beyond the 3000 rpm the car is simply a beast. Okay, saying it a beast might be too much but what I mean to say is that it accelerates rather well. The way this K series ...

I haven't driven the recently facelifted Swift petrol but maybe they have de-tuned the engine even further as its ARAI FE ratings have increased is what I have heard.
Yes, the tyres are simply inadequate on lower and mid variants of Swift. An upgrade is required even if one drives the car mostly in city. Braking would for sure improve.

The engine was new, but somehow the eagerness was missing. 4 Adults + AC means car was sufficiently loaded for a good drive. As is the case with VVT, the engine responded a bit better in higher rev range, but it was too late and I did not want to stretch the car as it was new.

Another think I had observed : Under flat out acceleration, the A/C compressor cuts off. Realized this when twice I floor the pedal in 5th at around 60 kmph. Higher ambient temperatures meant we realized this super fast.
Engine has been detuned for more FE, and that does affect performance IMO.

Will not move further till I drive a non abs car which has clocked some kms.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 24th May 2015 at 09:45. Reason: quote fixed
Old 26th May 2015, 07:27   #2526
Distinguished - BHPian

Speculations are that Maruti Suzuki Swift AMT in under development and will debut this festive season , would be available in both Petrol and Diesel variants.

Along with AMT version exteriors could get DRLs, Chrome inserts on bumpers, chrome slat grille or multi-lined grille, fog lamps, projector headlamps.

http://gaadiwaadi.com/maruti-suzuki-...s-year-362051/
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th May 2015, 23:38   #2527
BHPian

Quote:
Another think I had observed : Under flat out acceleration, the A/C compressor cuts off. Realized this when twice I floor the pedal in 5th at around 60 kmph. Higher ambient temperatures meant we realized this super fast.
Never observed this AC compressor cutting off on both WagonR as well as Swift.
Sherlocked is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th May 2015, 00:56   #2528
BANNED

Quote:
Another think I had observed : Under flat out acceleration, the A/C compressor cuts off. Realized this when twice I floor the pedal in 5th at around 60 kmph.
Are you sure you felt that happening? Any indications regarding the compressor going OFF during flat-out throttle input?

Quote:
+1. Never have felt this happening in any of the cars I have driven till date.
Old 27th May 2015, 09:21   #2529
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Are you sure you felt that happening? Any indications regarding the compressor going OFF during flat-out throttle input?

+1. Never have felt this happening in any of the cars I have driven till date.
Yes, double checked it.
The ambient temperature was 45 Deg C. as indicated in Innova’s outside temperature display when I reached the dealership. During test drive, we were 4 adults in the car and after 4-5 mins of drive, I floored the throttle and in 3-4 seconds, the heat in the cabin increased.
As soon as I drove with less throttle input, the cabin was getting cooled well again.

So when on the highway, I asked the sales person to keep his hand near the A/C vent. Floored the throttle and asked him if still the cold air gushes out, he confirmed cold air is not coming. Released the throttle, cold air starts coming.
Tried this myself in city driving. May be they have included this in newer models.

The sales person was clueless about this cutoff, so was I. I drove LXi swift straight out of transit container. Dealer : Kataria Automobiles.

Did not observe this in Zdi I drove that day, dealer : Kiran Motors. Also test drove Ritz petrol, it did not have cut off.

Last edited by aaggoswami : 27th May 2015 at 09:27.
Old 27th May 2015, 22:46   #2530
BHPian

The key to happiness
Review: 2nd-gen Maruti Swift (2011 - 2017)-20150527_212032.jpg
Review: 2nd-gen Maruti Swift (2011 - 2017)-20150527_221139.jpg
Current odo reading
Review: 2nd-gen Maruti Swift (2011 - 2017)-20150527_221520.jpg
With the vast amount of knowledge available here on our forum, i don't think there is a need of an initial ownership report here. However, if anyone needs to know anything about the new swift and I will be happy answer your questions.
Thank you.
magic.dwarf is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th May 2015, 22:57   #2531
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by magic.dwarf View Post
The key to happiness

Current odo reading
Congrats on acquiring the Swift ZXi.

Please do post a details regarding the deal, a few more pictures of the car.

All the best, Have a long peaceful ownership experience.
Old 29th May 2015, 01:46   #2532
BANNED

Since this is the Official review thread for the Swift Petrol and Diesel, I'd like to add something on the Vibrations felt by certain BHPians in their diesel cars.

Below is the link to thread with an update to the issue.

A Solution!

Didn't want to repost here hence providing the link.
Old 30th May 2015, 23:59   #2533
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Yes, double checked it.
Just wanted to update on my previous post.
Today I visited a dealer and took my mom along with me for moving one step ahead towards decision making.
Petrol Swift VXi, 8 kms. done, better braking, no A/C cutoff.
Mom was impressed and after the test drive, (had a look at celerio diesel, and) went to the route taken for Swift test drive in my grand i10. Mom clearly told me that Swift feels smother, less jerks and feels much, much more safer than Grand i10.
At 100 kmph. Swift felt rock steady and I had to inform mom about the speed we were doing. In grand i10 at even 70 kmph, instructions start coming in to reduce speed.

I am yet to understand about cut off, and braking was not at all bad in today's drive. Yes, Grand i10 has super sharp calibration, but Swift VXi had linear braking calibration and were easy to modulate, just like in my Wagon R. Was impressed.
But the flat midrange was evident. Did not push hard and never crossed 100 kmph. Driveability is nice in Swift, picking up speed from even 40 kmph in 5th seem to take only little effort. Unless one gets absolutely slow, 2nd gear is more than enough.

Best part : Less engine noise till 3000 rpm and fantastic seats.
After we came home, mom said that your Grand i10 is nice, but Swift seems to be a different thing altogether. Mom is not very technical about cars, but Swift was one of the few cars she appreciated after Baleno, the other being Innova.

PS : I had highway covered during that test drive and hence the speeds of 100 kmph. and 70 kmph.

Last edited by aaggoswami : 31st May 2015 at 00:03.
aaggoswami is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st May 2015, 11:41   #2534
BHPian

Quote:
After we came home, mom said that your Grand i10 is nice, but Swift seems to be a different thing altogether.
AFAIK, I think you have Grandi10 Magna Diesel. If you compare the Grandi10 Diesel with Swift Petrol, Swift is clearly the winner here. The Diesel engine (1.1) of Grandi10 ( and Xcent) is underpowered but the same cannot be said for Grandi10 Petrol. The Grandi10 Petrol is very peppier equivalent to Swift K series and effortless to drive in bumper to bumper traffic. Swift and Grandi10 has its own advantages and disadvantages but the biggest deal breaker for me in Swift is the boot space and the rear seat comfort which I found it far better in Grandi10.

I will go with 1.2 Grandi10 or K series Swift for Petrol and Swift Ddis for Diesel.

Last edited by Grand Drive : 31st May 2015 at 11:45.
Old 1st June 2015, 19:48   #2535
BHPian

Quote:
Congrats on acquiring the Swift ZXi.

Please do post a details regarding the deal, a few more pictures of the car.

All the best, Have a long peaceful ownership experience.
Thanks again, I will share the details of deal along with more pictures as soon as I click more of them. But now I have something else to say. Today along with a friend, I had taken the car to Trivandrum. On the way back my friend was driving the car. After reaching his home, he didn't turn of the engine, he got down there and I took the car from there and returned to my home. As you all know here, the 2015 Swift comes with the push start stop mechanism. It's when I reached back home, I noticed that the key was still with him. Isn't this a big security flaw? Is it the same with all the new cars equipped with this system, or is there something wrong with my car. Please do note that I have driven approximately 4km from his house.

Last edited by ampere : 1st June 2015 at 20:03. Reason: Formatted Post

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks