Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th July 2015, 18:42   #2566
Senior - BHPian

re: Review: 2nd-gen Maruti Swift (2011 - 2017)

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Problem is finding the roads which can handle redline in 3rd.

Your heart is gonna break while redlining. Those 30 seconds will be a hellish experience. Please make sure the car is warm (5-10 kms run) before you do this & roads are clear & good.
I redlined my Swift yesterday first time. I forgot to do it for 30 seconds, will do it next time.

The top speed in 2nd gear was 80kmph. Is it normal for a Swift Diesel 2013?
Old 9th July 2015, 19:14   #2567
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by mukeshgoel View Post
The top speed in 2nd gear was 80kmph. Is it normal for a Swift Diesel 2013?
Yes it is normal. Happy revving and he careful.

One tip, so the redlining from 3rd gear rather than starting from 2nd. I do it in 3rd and 4th.

Lack of safe roads prevent me from doing it for 30 seconds.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th July 2015, 23:07   #2568
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
One tip, so the redlining from 3rd gear rather than starting from 2nd. I do it in 3rd and 4th.

Lack of safe roads prevent me from doing it for 30 seconds.
But the problem is, in the 3rd gear, it reached 120kmph but RPM was still not near red zone.
Old 9th July 2015, 23:34   #2569
BHPian

Just a question as the redlining discussion was going on, should you do redlining of the vehicle as for me that means using the whole juice of the machine? Also would like to ask the pros and cons of redlining? I have a Swift VDI 2011 model already done 86K but I ride her decently in the sense keep it around 2000rpm, only when I hit the highway for touring then I cross that mark and zoom off.
Old 10th July 2015, 01:36   #2570
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shivanshu View Post
Just a question as the redlining discussion was going on, should you do redlining of the vehicle as for me that means using the whole juice of the machine? Also would like to ask the pros and cons of redlining? I have a Swift VDI 2011 model already done 86K but I ride her decently in the sense keep it around 2000rpm, only when I hit the highway for touring then I cross that mark and zoom off.
Advantage of redlining a diesel car is to get rid of the carbon deposit. Other than that, its to make sure you give a work out to the mechanicals. One con is the fuel consumption. Redlining a vehicle without warming up might damage the parts too. It's nice to take the car thru it's paces at times. The cars are designed with high level of tolerances, so even at redline, you are not at the limit of the machine.
swiftnfurious is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th July 2015, 02:00   #2571
BHPian

Quote:
Advantage of redlining a diesel car is to get rid of the carbon deposit. Other than that, its to make sure you give a work out to the mechanicals. One con is the fuel consumption. Redlining a vehicle without warming up might damage the parts too. It's nice to take the car thru it's paces at times. The cars are designed with high level of tolerances, so even at redline, you are not at the limit of the machine.
So what should be the interval of redlining and also as the discussion is saying that you should not redline on 1st and 2nd gear right? But that means once in a while I should hit the highway (as I think if I do redline in 3rd gear its going to hit three digits on the speedometer) and do it right? Can you shed some more light in the process of redlining?
And yes thanks for the prompt reply.
Old 10th July 2015, 08:38   #2572
BANNED

Quote:
So what should be the interval of redlining
If you drive majorly in city speeds then you'd need to do this frequently as carbon build up will be higher.

If you drive frequently on highways and higher RPM then the tune up can be done at a longer intervals.

I do this ever 3K to 5K which is every month or 1.5 months.

Quote:
But that means once in a while I should hit the highway
Finding the right roads and utmost safety is important.

Quote:
Can you shed some more light in the process of redlining?
This process is otherwise also called as Italian Tune up. It usually refers to a process whereby one takes the engine up to run at full load for extended periods in order to burn carbon buildup from the*engine (combustion chamber, spark plugs etc) and exhaust system.

Exercise caution that this should be done after the engine has reached its operating temperature else it would be harmful.

Last edited by a4anurag : 10th July 2015 at 08:40.
a4anurag is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th July 2015, 21:35   #2573
BHPian

Please pardon my lack of knowledge on these matters, but i have a few doubts here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pranjal1984 View Post
Anytime Maruti says that handling charges for purchase of vehicles comply to their company policy since it is a part of the contract agreement between the company and the dealership. The exshowroom price of the Zxi is 6.57 lakhs in Guwahati as per the website but when I visited the dealership it was mentioned as 6.72 lakhs.
Why and how are the ex showroom prices of cars are different in different cities? If it is about transportation costs, the showrooms do charge handling charges in the final bill. Isn't it? For me the Ex showroom price for my Zxi was 6.39L in the month of April and why is this difference of 18k rupees?

Quote:
If the car is not in the right rpm/gear, heavy acceleration will give black smoke. Do you redline your car (after warming up)? If not I suggest, do some redlining. There may be carbon deposits which is causing the black smoke. Take the car to an empty road, redline in 1st & 2nd gears for around 30 seconds and you should be good. Do this done once in a while.
Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
+1

The cure against black smoke is to take the engine to the higher rpms every once a while. The ECM will keep up, the car won't be sluggish and the carbon deposits too will not get time to settle down. And 3rd is the best gear for that. Have fun clearing carbon.
Hi sirs, I have a doubt regarding this too. I am completely new to the car world. My swift is just 3months and 2400km old and I have just about 3000kms of driving experience.
I always keep the car in 2000 rpm range and very rarely have gone to 3000 rmps at times during overtaking etc. High speed driving doesn't excite me, and i drive very sedately. So is this redlining necessary for all cars or just for the diesel ones? Will it affect my car's engine life if i don't take it into higher rpms once in a while?
Old 10th July 2015, 22:05   #2574
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by magic.dwarf View Post
Why and how are the ex showroom prices of cars are different in different cities? If it is about transportation costs, the showrooms do charge handling charges in the final bill. Isn't it? For me the Ex showroom price for my Zxi was 6.39L in the month of April and why is this difference of 18k rupees?
AFAIK, it depends on the tax structure prevailing in that state and the way the dealership is billed by the Manufacturer when the car is shipped from the factory to the dealership yard.

Quote:
I always keep the car in 2000 rpm range and very rarely have gone to 3000 rmps at times during overtaking etc. High speed driving doesn't excite me, and i drive very sedately. So is this redlining necessary for all cars or just for the diesel ones? Will it affect my car's engine life if i don't take it into higher rpms once in a while?
There is no harm and not a rule that one should redline the car to keep it running. This exercise is to get rid of the excessive carbon build-up that we encounter in our driving cycle.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2015, 03:50   #2575
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
.... So is this redlining necessary for all cars or just for the diesel ones? Will it affect my car's engine life if i don't take it into higher rpms once in a while?
Yes, only for diesel. It wouldn't affect the engine life, but too much baby'ing it is neither good. Just think of redlining as a work out for the car, to stretch itself once in a while.
Old 11th July 2015, 06:42   #2576
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mukeshgoel View Post
But the problem is, in the 3rd gear, it reached 120kmph but RPM was still not near red zone.
The red line for Swift MJD is at 5000 rpm. You don't have to go anywhere near that to clear the soot even though the engine is rev friendly compared to other diesels. I used to frequent between 3k to 4k, as I didn't feel comfortable taking the revs even beyond 4k in a Diesel.

And hitting 3k+ and more was easy as I had the Pete's box and it made the car all the more rev friendly.

Quote:
I always keep the car in 2000 rpm range and very rarely have gone to 3000 rmps at times during overtaking etc.
We were talking specific about Diesel engines magic.dwarf. But let me tell you that the 1.2 K in your Swift is amazing above 2k rpm. Do try and hit the higher rpms once a while, the engine will be more responsive, else the ECM becomes a bit lazy.
deetjohn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2015, 07:41   #2577
Distinguished - BHPian

Easier to redline - actually go near the redline and not above - two three time in first and second gear. Cleans out soot from exhaust system. And you can do this easily from red light stop and go if you are at head of queue. No need to break speed limits either.
sudev is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th July 2015, 08:19   #2578
BHPian

Quote:
Please pardon my lack of knowledge on these matters, but i have a few doubts here.

Different tax structures are prevalent for different states. Maruti Suzuki also clubs handling charges of Rs 5000/- to the ex-showroom price provided in Website and clubs it as new ex-showroom price. So in my case new ex-showroom price is Rs 6.57L + Rs 5000/-=Rs 6.62 lakhs.
When I took up this matter with Anytime Maruti last week, they informed me that handling charges clause forms parts of the dealership's agreement with the company and it is standard procedure as per the Company Policy.
Old 11th July 2015, 21:32   #2579
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
....that you should not redline on 1st and 2nd gear right? ....
Do redlining IN first & second gears to manage controllabe / possible safe speeds. Redlining in 3rd (in a Swift D) means you are already at 120 kmph speed.
swiftnfurious is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th July 2015, 15:07   #2580
BHPian

My Swift diesel just completed 60k. Want to get the service done.
Its been a long long time since the last service (30k kms).
The cars is being used daily(all 7 days a week, running atleast 60-70 kms per day) and is running absolutely fantastic.
Mostly used in city and once in a month on highway drives.
Its driven single handed, by me only.

Which parts need more attention? Apart from engine oil and oil filter change?

EDIT : Redlining the engine is what I've read for the first time, sounds interesting. Its it advisable to do it before servicing or later?

Last edited by iamahunter : 14th July 2015 at 15:09.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks