Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th November 2014, 10:54   #2401
BHPian

re: Review: 2nd-gen Maruti Swift (2011 - 2017)

Quote:
Originally Posted by e46 View Post
Maruti Swift LXI (Made in India) has failed to get any star in NCAP tests! The ZXI with ABS and airbags scored 3 stars.

This is in stark contrast to the European model, which recieved 5 stars. Although, Suzuki's cash register is mostly filled by Indian market, it is depressing to see this.
Depressing thing is that even the top-end Swift is marked as 'unstable' for structure. Besides the one marked as 3-star (with Airbag/ABS) is meant for export to Latin America, and we don;t know if that is same as the ZXi sold here.

Looked at the older report, atleast Polo/Figo got a score of 'stable' for their structure, and Polo gets 4-stars for the variant with Airbags/ABS:
http://indianautosblog.com/2014/01/f...al-ncap-115165

I looked at the Euro NCAP rating when buying Swift and assumed that Indian one would have similar result. Big mistake!
akj123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th November 2014, 12:42   #2402
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by e46 View Post
Maruti Swift LXI (Made in India) has failed to get any star in NCAP tests! The ZXI with ABS and airbags scored 3 stars.

This is in stark contrast to the European model, which recieved 5 stars. Although, Suzuki's cash register is mostly filled by Indian market, it is depressing to see this.
While it is frustrating to see the way Maruti has cut corners, the 5 Star that European Swift got was based on the earlier norms.

If the same car is tested now, it would only be eligible for 4 stars due to the absence of some of the mandatory safety features that are required for 5 stars now. Since Indian Swift got only 3 stars and received an unstable shell rating, this is no excuse for Maruti.
Old 4th November 2014, 13:00   #2403
BANNED

Shocking to see the results for the India's hottest selling hatchback.

No wonder it goes like a stink when compared to Punto which bears the same heart. The build quality and strength which the materials impart speak a lot.

It is high time Maruti get rid of the "Kitna deti hai?!" attitude and get back onto the board to provide us safer cars with the demanded features (read safety).

Maruti is literally playing with 14-16K families in India every month. Hope these results are published everywhere and do get some sense drilled in our citizens when choosing cars.

I am not saying it is the wrist but such results are shocking for a car that India loves.

C'mom Maruti better get going and such responses from them like "we are meeting the government prescribed rules" are just depressing for a customer.

Hopefully the Indian Government does strengthen amd gets down to sone strong enforcement rules where "A car can only be sold of it has the required safety features in 'all' the variants sold". Unless something like these come up, No manufacturer will take things seriously.

Anurag.
Old 9th November 2014, 22:47   #2404
BHPian

I am looking for reviews on stock headlamps of the swift. I find the low beams good for very close light-throw. On highways, I feel the high-beams are mandatory (I personally dislike driving with high-beams on). And there is also this meance of oncoming drivers in full beam. Will it help to upgrade headlamps (halogen/Xenon?)
Old 10th November 2014, 16:58   #2405
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum View Post
Remove the negative terminal of the battery for 15 minutes, fix it back. Go for a drive and give it a good fast run. I ll be fine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
Hope the air filter is clean.
So after I tanked up with BP diesel and drove around for ~50kms the car is back to normal again I took it to MASS a few days ago but they were busy and told me to comeback in a while since I wasn't willing to leave the car with them. So drove around until I hit the quarter tank mark and immediately tanked up with normal BP diesel,50 kms later its back to being perfect.

Just wondering though, what could have caused such a drastic transformation ? Its still diesel,even if from Shell.
Old 10th November 2014, 17:04   #2406
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashank.nk View Post
So after I tanked up with BP diesel and drove around for ~50kms the car is back to normal again I took it to MASS a few days ago but they were busy and told me to comeback in a while since I wasn't willing to leave the car with them. So drove around until I hit the quarter tank mark and immediately tanked up with normal BP diesel,50 kms later its back to being perfect.

Just wondering though, what could have caused such a drastic transformation ? Its still diesel,even if from Shell.
Hey, Glad your Swift D is back to its own self. Well, it could be the diesel, it could be the climate, it could simply be our perception too. No no, don't get me wrong, My Swift D behaves differently everyday. From the directness of the Steering to the push of the turbo kick, to the RPM at which it comes, its different everyday. So much so that sometimes while we are leaving for a long trip and I exit my lane, I am praying in my mind that 'Let the car engine behave and the car handle during this trip exactly how I want it to'.

Anyway, anytime next you have such a doubt, clean the airfilter as step one and remove the negative terminal for 15 minutes as step 2 and then go for a drive and see if anything changes. Also since we have realized your Swift D does not like Shell Diesel, avoid it.
humyum is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th November 2014, 17:13   #2407
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Anyway, anytime next you have such a doubt, clean the airfilter as step one and remove the negative terminal for 15 minutes as step 2 and then go for a drive and see if anything changes. Also since we have realized your Swift D does not like Shell Diesel, avoid it.
Yeah, no more Shell diesel for my car. It feels like its lugging a lot of weight and I don't enjoy that performance one bit. Will do what you've suggested from next time onwards
shashank.nk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th November 2014, 18:10   #2408
BANNED

Quote:
Hey, Glad your Swift D is back to its own self. Well, it could be the diesel, it could be the climate, it could simply be our perception too.

+1. Weather does have a lot of effect on how the car behaves. On a cool day it is peppy and feels like an F1 car but on a hot sunny day the same car feels like an RTC Bus on full load.

Quote:
Yeah, no more Shell diesel for my car. It feels like its lugging a lot of weight and I don't enjoy that performance one bit. Will do what you've suggested from next time onwards
Cars behave just like we humans do, hot weather the body gets uncomfortable whereas on a cooler day the body is happy and at ease.

I feel Shell fuel is deteriorating in quality now a days. AFAIK, all the bunks by Shell have been closed here in Hyderabad and there was a heavy discount on Petrol and Diesel till stocks lasted.

Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th November 2014, 18:46   #2409
BHPian

off late I m getting bit bored seeing swifts and dzires anywhere and everywhere, I mean it was one of most glamorous thing on wheels some ten years back, but now I feel isn't it a bit over the head now. earlier we Indians didn't have much options, but that is not the scene today. just because something is tried and tested doesn't mean other hatches are junk heaps and they don't deserve to sell even 5k per month or so. I am not condemning anyone but just want to know what thought process goes inside some 20-30k brains (swift+ dzire) every month that each and everyone goes and buy one swift or dzire, and other car manufacturers
are not able to follow that. someone will say that their service centres are deep rooted, but today cars are way more reliable and need visiting service centre some 10-15k kms or so. Does it means we all want to play safe and follow the herd mentality. and we Indians really don't deserve something new or fresh? Give us swift or Dzire and 80% Indians are satisfied? I mean are these cars that good and others that bad? Really?
Old 10th November 2014, 18:54   #2410
BHPian

Mod note: Back to back posts, use Multi Quote [Quote+] instead. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Abhi View Post
I am not condemning anyone but just want to know what thought process goes inside some 20-30k brains (swift+ dzire) every month that each and everyone goes and buy one swift or dzire
The tagline 'India comes home in a Maruti' + The national diesel engine in it, I guess is too tempting a concoction for people (read Indians) to resist

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay87kumar View Post
I am looking for reviews on stock headlamps of the swift. I find the low beams good for very close light-throw. On highways, I feel the high-beams are mandatory (I personally dislike driving with high-beams on). And there is also this meance of oncoming drivers in full beam. Will it help to upgrade headlamps (halogen/Xenon?)
You are spot on (wish the headlights were too). Yes the stocks are pretty bad, especially on the highway. I switched to Phillips Extreme vision a couple of months back. Simple plug and play. No more complaints with the lighting now!

Last edited by Jaggu : 10th November 2014 at 19:14. Reason: Back to back posts, use Multi Quote [Quote+] instead. Thanks.
Endless.... is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th November 2014, 21:58   #2411
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
+1. Weather does have a lot of effect on how the car behaves. On a cool day it is peppy and feels like an F1 car but on a hot sunny day the same car feels like an RTC Bus on full load.
This i'm familiar with,but god the drop in performance with Shell diesel was simply too much. Now the engine (helped by denser air) is a delight

Quote:
I feel Shell fuel is deteriorating in quality now a days. AFAIK, all the bunks by Shell have been closed here in Hyderabad and there was a heavy discount on Petrol and Diesel till stocks lasted.
That's interesting. In bangalore, Shell is a big hit though!

Last edited by shashank.nk : 10th November 2014 at 21:59.
Old 10th November 2014, 23:16   #2412
BANNED

Quote:
That's interesting. In bangalore, Shell is a big hit though!
There was a raid by the SWMA (Standards of Weights and Measures Act) officials at bunks of Shell which did get then pay heavy fobbed and eventually close down here in Hyderabad.

Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th November 2014, 13:11   #2413
BANNED

Done the service last week, made the ECU update, and solved the half-clutch brake issue.

Post this, the MID shows about 20% increase in average FE figure - earlier it was 22 on an average (real world figures around 18KMPL), and now it is 26! How does that happen? Will the FE improve because of the ECU update?

Last edited by romeomidhun : 13th November 2014 at 13:24.
Old 13th November 2014, 15:41   #2414
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Abhi View Post
I am not condemning anyone but just want to know what thought process goes inside some 20-30k brains (swift+ dzire) every month that each and everyone goes and buy one swift or dzire, and other car manufacturers
are not able to follow that. someone will say that their service centres are deep rooted, but today cars are way more reliable and need visiting service centre some 10-15k kms or so. Does it means we all want to play safe and follow the herd mentality. and we Indians really don't deserve something new or fresh? Give us swift or Dzire and 80% Indians are satisfied? I mean are these cars that good and others that bad? Really?
Normally first time buyers or those who 'want to be safe' used to buy those cars which sell the most, and the natural choice is Swift or any other Maruti.

I had bought my first car, Tata Indica V2 DLS in 2002. I had it till June 2014. I bought a Skoda Rapid Elegance TDI also in 2012 which is my primary car. I was not a first time or new buyer, I was a guy who had been following Automotive scene from 1990s. Still I preferred to go for a Swift when I traded off my Indica during June 2014.

Actually Swift or any B2 segment car was not in mind, the purpose was a basic car to be kept in the porch of my Trivandrum home which is locked.(I work in Bangalore and fly down to Tvm once or twice for the weekends in Tvm.) My parents would be using it once in a while with 'on call' driver and for my use when I am there. So I started with Alto, then Tata Indica Ev2 then Datsun Go, Wagon R and finally Swift! I had thought of going with Maruti and zeroed in Wagon R then the thought came if I am spending 4.2 lakhs, why one lakh more and buy a Swift which is a style statement too!

The main thing I would say for my decision to go with Maruti would be their fast response. I made my mind to sell off my Indica during a three day off I was in TVM. Thougt being a loyal customer for 12 years, Tata would give me better resale value, I called them first. I was taken aback when they quoted 40k + 10k bonus. Atleast they should not tell such a customer that nobody will take this much old Tata cars now . Will the customer buy another Tata? So my next choice was Datsun Go since it appeared a big car with a 4.2 lakhs price tag. Eventhough the interiors, fit and finish etc were very basic I thought of going with it, visited the showroom and asked to contact my father next day to have a look at my Indica for the exchange.

Till that time Maruti was never in my radar; I was about to fly back next day early morning to Bangalore and that night I stopped to buy diaper for my new born kid. I had parked my car infront of Maruti Dealer Popular Motors showroom and the time was past 8 pm. I thought of just checking out Wagon R, thinking in my mind that I will not be buying from here while getting in to the showroom that late. Anyway things changed from then, starting with the courtesy of the Exective who attended me. Till that time I was thinking that Wagon R costs more than Go, but some discounts were running and Wagon R Lxi was available for 4.16 lakhs. The interiors of Wagon R appeared rich and classy compared to Go. I asked them also to get in touch next day to inspect my Indica and offer a price.

I left Trivandrum at 6 am and Popular Motors guys were at home at 9 am. They offered 60k +10 k for exchange with WagonR and I was happy and the deal was almost sealed then. Datsun dealer called to schedule for an inspection after 4-5 days!! Tata dealer had a follow up call after one week.

Meanwhile my wife posed a question to me which made me rethink. Why Wagon R? Swift is the better car in the Maruti stable, right?. It gave me a thought, if I am spending 4.16, I can spend 90k more and buy a Swift Lxi, spend 10 k more and get 'Maruti Genuine Accessories' central locking and power windows fitted. Thus the choice was made.

I was coming back to Tvm on a saturday, two weeks after. The Popular exective along with an HDFC Bank executive visited me after two hours of my landing in TVM. Got some signatures from me and I was off on next monday. The procedure was as simple as that.

After two weeks I was flying down on another Saturday Morning, the Swift was ready for delivery.

Last edited by sudheeshnairs : 13th November 2014 at 15:51.
sudheeshnairs is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th November 2014, 16:34   #2415
Senior - BHPian

Most maruti owners have a positive experience, even after you purchase the vehicle, the company assures you of service, they do take customer feedback seriously, and they promptly respond in case of issues. You do not need to "know" someone senior at Maruti, like the MD to get things done. One email or letter or phone call is all it takes to bring an errant service center down to earth. You do not even hear of cases like the infamous Harishv Skoda case which dragged on for years in the Maruti world.

Most Maruti customers are happy to have a vehicle thats reliable, decent customer service, fairly reasonable prices (going up these days), and not to mention, fuel efficient. Thats why people in India prefer Maruti.

I hope that Maruti now wakes up and understands that the Indian consumer is now able to pay for safety features and is not going to appreciate being given an inferior product versus the overseas markets. I want to remain a proud Maruti customer and I hope Maruti Suzuki understands that.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks