Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th September 2014, 17:54   #2356
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Review: 2nd-gen Maruti Swift (2011 - 2017)

The Suzuki Swift has reached a magical figure of 4 million units sold across the globe! No surprise that half of these sales come from India! Here is an excerpt from article followed by the news link:

Quote:
In June 2008, the model crossed one million units in cumulative worldwide production and in January 2011 total global sales reached two million units. Last year in January, Swift had reached the three million mark in cumulative worldwide sales. The model is currently produced in eight countries worldwide and sold in more than 140 countries and regions around the world.----------
Suzuki clocked four million milestone in total global sales of its successful premium hatchback Swift with about half of them coming from India in August 2014.
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/b...w/42015308.cms

Thanks,
Saket
Old 9th September 2014, 14:39   #2357
BHPian

I did a 450 kms drive last weekend in my swift vxi, drive was mainly on highways from pune -> Mumbai -> Shahapur -> thane -> Pune.
I want to tell you guys that, the more I drive the swift, more I fell in love with it, and this does not happen when I drive my dad's old gen i-10

Also the MID showed 19.2 kmpl when I reached home which I think is quite okay.
Old 13th September 2014, 15:23   #2358
Senior - BHPian

Guys, my friend has bought a Swift ZDi recently and he is facing an issue with the car and asked me to consult team bhp Swift owners.

The car judders/vibrates slightly when the clutch is let go off in 1st gear without stepping on the the throttle, the same happens in reverse but it is much milder.

Have driven so many diesel cars and the low end is sufficient to pick the car up from 1st gear without any throttle inputs but in the Swift, we can feel juddering/car vibrating when doing so.

Is it an issue with the clutch flywheel? The car has done 1700 kms so far and is 2 months old, is it recommended to get it checked, a little hesistant to get a new car opened up for clutch/flywheel inspection.
coolboy007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th September 2014, 16:44   #2359
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolboy007 View Post

The car judders/vibrates slightly when the clutch is let go off in 1st gear without stepping on the the throttle, the same happens in reverse but it is much milder.

Is it an issue with the clutch flywheel?
I guess the clutch release bearings need to be looked at.

Do get it checked under warranty.

Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th September 2014, 16:55   #2360
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
I guess the clutch release bearings need to be looked at.Do get it checked under warranty.
Thanks a lot Anurag.
Where is the clutch release bearing located? Is it a major repair work and does it involve opening of the whole clutch plate assembly? The car is new so my friend is a little apprehensive about getting the car opened up for this issue.

Is this a manufacturing defect because i saw a lot of posts on our forum regarding this juddering issue, any harmful effects on the car if this job is delayed till the 5,000 kms mark.
Old 13th September 2014, 17:00   #2361
BANNED

Quote:
Thanks a lot Anurag.
Where is the clutch release bearing located? Is it a major repair work and does it involve opening of the whole clutch plate assembly? The car is new so my friend is a little apprehensive about getting the car opened up for this issue.

Is this a manufacturing defect because i saw a lot of posts on our forum regarding this juddering issue, any harmful effects on the car if this job is delayed till the 5,000 kms mark.
Could be a defect. So checked since it is under warranty. I have seen quite a few posts here.

Anurag.
Old 17th September 2014, 16:54   #2362
BHPian

Hi, I've got couple of questions.
Day before yesterday when I stopped, range showed in MID was 50 Kms, So when yesterday I started my car for fuel-up MID showed only 40 kms, this is fine no issues.
I had just moved 500 mts and suddenly car beeped once and fuel light was lit and range in MID was "---".

Que 1: How come from 40 it came down to 0?

But car did not stop and I drove 5 kms without any issue to reach petrol pump.
I asked the attendant ( he) to do full tank.
Since MID showed 0 earlier I assumed that car will take 43 ltrs or more to full tank, that is the fuel tank capacity of swift, but to my surprise when fuel meter was showing 36.x liters the fuel nozzle stopped automatically but he somehow managed to push 2 more liters of petol in my car.

Que 2: How come nozzle stopped merely at 36 ltrs? where did the room of 7 ltrs go?
Old 17th September 2014, 17:08   #2363
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by INJAXN View Post
Since MID showed 0 earlier I assumed that car will take 43 ltrs or more to full tank, that is the fuel tank capacity of swift, but to my surprise when fuel meter was showing 36.x liters the fuel nozzle stopped automatically but he somehow managed to push 2 more liters of petol in my car.

Que 2: How come nozzle stopped merely at 36 ltrs? where did the room of 7 ltrs go?
Que 1: The answer -

MID reading are not to be believed blindly. They are just a source of information that needs to be just cross-checked and not totally rely on.

Coming to the issue, the range will read '50' and suddenly it becomes '--.- km/L'. This is normal and not to worry, the sensor is not getting the fuel quantity in tank so it went blank.

Que 2: The answer -

The fuel tank capacity as per the owners manual is 42 litres, so ll assume the brim capacity to be 42 litres which is wrong.

The fuel tank has reserve capacity and there is some room for vapour contain! Like in the below situations:
  1. As outside temperature increases the fuel temperature does increase causing it to expand;
  2. When the vehicle moves the fuel in the moves too;

To counter the above the tank is designed in such a way that there is no spillage when on move.

When you see the fuel tank from underneath there are two depressions and one flat part which is where the fuel pump is mounted. The depressions that I mentioned together hold 5 litres fuel so:

42 - 5 = 37 litres +/- 2 litres will be the usable fuel by the fuel pump. This is the 'original fuel tank capacity'

PS: The above information has been given to me by the service manager whom I know since 10 years.

Hope it helps clear the doubt.

Anurag.

Last edited by a4anurag : 17th September 2014 at 17:10. Reason: Spelling correction
Old 17th September 2014, 17:09   #2364
BHPian

Quote:

Que 1: How come from 40 it came down to 0?

But car did not stop and I drove 5 kms without any issue to reach petrol pump.
I asked the attendant ( he) to do full tank.

Ans 1: 40 is the minimum MID range in Swifts. After 40, it comes to "---" directly. Even I have observed this in my Swift. Still there is some amount of reserve fuel in the tank which is good enough for around 80 kms.

Ans 2: As I said above there was still some fuel left in the tank. It was not completely dry.

Under no circumstances should you try to overfill the tank once the supply is cut-off automatically. Fuel may expand under hot weather conditions and can be a cause fuel leakage and a remote possibility of a fire.
beast_within is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th September 2014, 18:04   #2365
BHPian

Quote:
Que 1: The answer -

MID reading are not to be believed blindly. They are just a source of information that needs to be just cross-checked and not totally rely on.
I was not completely and was hoping that car would run for few kms and it did. But what to expect that it would run more or run less than what is showed in MID. I guess that can only be figured out by experimenting.

Quote:
Hope it helps clear the doubt.
Anurag.
Mostly yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by beast_within View Post
Still there is some amount of reserve fuel in the tank which is good enough for around 80 kms.
80 kms ( 4-5 liters of petrol )? are you sure, I mean have your ever tried? From what I knew was cars don't have any reserve concept that means only one opening from fuel tank to engine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beast_within View Post
Under no circumstances should you try to overfill the tank once the supply is cut-off automatically. Fuel may expand under hot weather conditions and can be a cause fuel leakage and a remote possibility of a fire.
Well I wont do it from now on, I also read somewhere that if you try to put more fuel when supply is cut-off automatically, the extra fuel goes into the fuel repository of petrol pump and not into the car, thats how they cheat us, Not sure how true is this?

Thank you both for swifty replies
Old 17th September 2014, 19:14   #2366
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Day before yesterday when I stopped, range showed in MID was 50 Kms, So when yesterday I started my car for fuel-up MID showed only 40 kms, this is fine no issues.
It is never good for the fuel pump to run it this low, as it has to over work to get fuel to the required areas. Always, fill up with at least good quantity of fuel left. I always refuel when the fuel tank reaches halfway or a little less than half way. Complete peace of mind.
Old 18th September 2014, 01:02   #2367
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Guys, my friend has bought a Swift ZDi recently and he is facing an issue with the car and asked me to consult team bhp Swift owners.

We are facing the same issue in our brand-new Swift ZXI ever since our 6th August, 2014 purchase. The Maruti technician checked out the same during first service and said it was an issue inherent to all Swifts and it wouldn't cause any problem, and to drive freely.

(Highlighted in my ownership thread + subsequent first service update)

Frankly, it's annoying when the 1st-to-2nd gearshift is done. Haven't observed it during reversing though. Maybe I haven't been paying close attention.
Old 18th September 2014, 01:11   #2368
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
We are facing the same issue in our brand-new Swift ZXI ever since our 6th August, 2014 purchase. The Maruti technician checked out the same during first service and said it was an issue inherent to all Swifts and it wouldn't cause any problem, and to drive freely.
Then it seems to be a issue/design pertaining to Swift's as your car and my friend's car is of the same month of manufacture. There is shudder/vibration in first gear and reverse as well. Also the first gear is slightly notchy, rest all are fine but then gearbox in your car must be smooth since it is a petrol.
Old 18th September 2014, 09:16   #2369
BHPian

Quote:

80 kms ( 4-5 liters of petrol )? are you sure, I mean have your ever tried? From what I knew was cars don't have any reserve concept that means only one opening from fuel tank to engine.
By "Reserve" I meant only the logical/virtual reserve as per MID (below 40 kms range) and its around 7-8 liters of fuel left.
beast_within is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th September 2014, 11:50   #2370
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Then it seems to be a issue/design pertaining to Swift's as your car and my friend's car is of the same month of manufacture. There is shudder/vibration in first gear and reverse as well. Also the first gear is slightly notchy, rest all are fine but then gearbox in your car must be smooth since it is a petrol.
Did some keen observations yesterday. The shuddering is not present during reversing, but only during the shift from 1st gear to 2nd gear (upshift). RPM is around the 1100-1200 mark. Downshifting from 2nd to 1st doesn't cause the shuddering. No other shifts, upshift or downshift, creates the shuddering either.

I don't think it's a problem with the clutch, else it would have been present for all/most gear shifts. It's more to do with the 1st/2nd gear plates and their shift releases, IMO. I'll take a call if the issue increases in intensity, or in the next 5 months when the next service is due. Right now it's not as bad, and can be lived with.

Our Swift is of July 2014 make.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks