Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th May 2013, 23:03   #1081

re: Review: 1st-gen Honda Amaze (2013)

Friends,
I took a test drive of Amaze V MT D last week end.
Some points:
  • The vehicle was a pleasure to drive. Engine, seating position etc.,
  • Plastic quality was good for most part. I did not like the brown slabs of plastics on the doors (hand rest area). I wouldn't call it cheap. It felt durable but just that the color and finish made it look bad on the car.
  • The NVH was on the high side and the car was wearing Goodyear tyres which only made it worse.
  • In the test vehicle the plastic panel on which the AC controls are mounted had come out about 5 mm. I was not carrying a camera so sorry but no photo evidence. I pushed it in instinctively and then it did not feel loose.
I was told that Diesel model waiting period is 2.5 to 3 months and petrol is at least 3 months. The sales representative also told me that Honda is selling only S and V variants of ANHC and has stopped production of Jaaz and Civic to make space for producing Amaze. Probably experts can comment on the truth.

Overall I felt that Honda was charging a premium for its compact sedan. I am guessing Honda is making the most of our excitement at Diesel compact sedan. I for one wouldn't be surprised if there is a price correction/discount after the initial response settles at sustainable levels.
-Bh
Old 31st May 2013, 00:35   #1082
BHPian

The only concern i feel are the NVH levels. I had taken a test drive of this car 2 weeks back and found its NVH are a bit higher than the 1.3 MJD in swift Dzire. My suggestion would be to wait for a facelift version of the Amaze, may be down the line 1 year's time and expect Honda to minimize them and may be add Climate Control option as well.
Old 31st May 2013, 02:57   #1083
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHaskar_AS View Post
Friends,
. The sales representative also told me that Honda is selling only S and V variants of ANHC and has stopped production of Jaaz and Civic to make space for producing Amaze. Probably experts can comment on the truth.
-Bh
Half truth. Civic has already been stopped for quite some time. Can't be sure about he Jazz as well actually, as to how significant the production numbers were for it to be stopped to make a difference. But then every little counts.
Old 31st May 2013, 09:10   #1084
BANNED

@amitdan; The Civic and Jazz have been stopped. The latter for the same reason as for the Fabia. Another issue, the bonne cannot take the diesel. I expect a new Jazz and the Civic (1.6) Ds to come when Honda are more confident about their diesel engines. Also, a New City may be on the cards. The Amaze uses a Honeywell FGT and churns out 100 horses. So the same motor with a VGT should be more like 120+. The MJD goes up from 72 to 90 on the change over to a VGT.
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st May 2013, 15:52   #1085
BHPian

Quote:
Friends,
I too came back from a TD. When I started it, for a moment it felt like a 3-cylinder engine with that vibration. But yes, turbo lag felt lesser than on the DZire and also, it pulls neatly from speeds of 30kmph in 4th gear. Good driveability for city.
Still confused if I should let go of my '08 City ZX which plasters a smile on my face everytime I ride it in city.
Old 31st May 2013, 17:16   #1086
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Friends,
Overall I felt that Honda was charging a premium for its compact sedan. I am guessing Honda is making the most of our excitement at Diesel compact sedan. I for one wouldn't be surprised if there is a price correction/discount after the initial response settles at sustainable levels.
-Bh
They are charging similar to what Swift Dzire is charging. While Zdi may appear better deal because of ACC, if you compare lower trims like S MT with Dzire Vdi, you will see that Honda is giving you ABS, Steering mounted audio controls, and if i am not wrong, even audio system that Vdi does not have. Similar comparision for EX vs Ldi.

So i feel everybody is overcharging us in that context. and i mean it too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamseller View Post
I too came back from a TD. When I started it, for a moment it felt like a 3-cylinder engine with that vibration. But yes, turbo lag felt lesser than on the DZire and also, it pulls neatly from speeds of 30kmph in 4th gear. Good driveability for city.
Still confused if I should let go of my '08 City ZX which plasters a smile on my face everytime I ride it in city.
Yes,After a TD i too felt that vibration was pretty pronounced in comparison to other diesel cars, but once it is on, It felt like any other diesel car from inside. I have no clue about outside NVH.
City driving is just bliss due to that flat torque.

You seem to be already owning Honda city and 08 means it is one generation older ? In that case it may not look like you are buying a new car because Amaze looks like older generation City.

What is your monthly running ? Do you really need a diesel is what you should ask yourself due to increasing diesel prices.
Old 31st May 2013, 18:09   #1087
BHPian

took delivery of Amaze SMT Diesel White today from Automax Honda Delhi. driven around 80 kms so far. car is definitely a breeze to drive in the city. fuel average is about 17.5km/l right now.

will post a complete review soon
coolmob is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st May 2013, 18:23   #1088
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post
You seem to be already owning Honda city and 08 means it is one generation older ? In that case it may not look like you are buying a new car because Amaze looks like older generation City.

What is your monthly running ? Do you really need a diesel is what you should ask yourself due to increasing diesel prices.

I partly agree with you on this (wrt looks). The Amaze looks better than my NHC but it has a decidedly smaller road presence. Yes it does look proportional and not as oddball as the Dzire. But then, the interiors of the Amaze felt very bare basic, compared to the Dzire (or even compared to my NHC). But yes, I agree that the lesser turbo lag does feel like a boon.

To be honest, I'm still thinking if I really need a new car. Last highway ride, with a controlled right foot, I got an FE of 19.1 kmpl. Coupled with GTO's article, I'm seriously contemplating keeping the current ride. The only thing I miss is a bit of power when on the highway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolmob View Post
took delivery of Amaze SMT Diesel White today from Automax Honda Delhi. driven around 80 kms so far. car is definitely a breeze to drive in the city. fuel average is about 17.5km/l right now.

will post a complete review soon
Congratulations! Do put up your ownership experience soon.

Last edited by dreamseller : 31st May 2013 at 18:42. Reason: MultiQuote
Old 31st May 2013, 18:59   #1089
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamseller View Post

I partly agree with you on this (wrt looks). The Amaze looks better than my NHC but it has a decidedly smaller road presence. Yes it does look proportional and not as oddball as the Dzire. But then, the interiors of the Amaze felt very bare basic, compared to the Dzire (or even compared to my NHC). But yes, I agree that the lesser turbo lag does feel like a boon.

To be honest, I'm still thinking if I really need a new car. Last highway ride, with a controlled right foot, I got an FE of 19.1 kmpl. Coupled with GTO's article, I'm seriously contemplating keeping the current ride. The only thing I miss is a bit of power when on the highway.
Dude i get 16 on my swift. You are getting good economy with city as expected and it should be reliable too

It again depends on your city usage where you might be getting 12-13. But if you drive a lot in city then you might be spending more on petrol

I am going through similar confusion right now. My car is still perfect for a petrol car but just trying to have economical diesel
Old 1st June 2013, 11:18   #1090
BHPian

Quote:
Friends,
Some points:
  • The vehicle was a pleasure to drive. Engine, seating position etc.,
  • Plastic quality was good for most part. I did not like the brown slabs of plastics on the doors (hand rest area). I wouldn't call it cheap. It felt durable but just that the color and finish made it look bad on the car.
  • The NVH was on the high side and the car was wearing Goodyear tyres which only made it worse.
  • In the test vehicle the plastic panel on which the AC controls are mounted had come out about 5 mm. I was not carrying a camera so sorry but no photo evidence. I pushed it in instinctively and then it did not feel loose.
I was told that Diesel model waiting period is 2.5 to 3 months and petrol is at least 3 months. The sales representative also told me that Honda is selling only S and V variants of ANHC and has stopped production of Jaaz and Civic to make space for producing Amaze. Probably experts can comment on the truth.

-Bh
Goodyear tyres are available only for variants after Ex. I mean they are available for S, V, Vx. The E and Ex get MRF ! Regarding the NVH levels, yes it is on the higher side but not so high as I thought of, yes it definitely requires some tweaking but still Its kind of ok.
Old 1st June 2013, 22:57   #1091
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pravinkenator View Post
Goodyear tyres are available only for variants after Ex. I mean they are available for S, V, Vx. The E and Ex get MRF ! Regarding the NVH levels, yes it is on the higher side but not so high as I thought of, yes it definitely requires some tweaking but still Its kind of ok.
I am afraid, but this doesn't look to be true. I have taken the delivery of E MT Diesel and it has come with Goodyear tyres.
Old 2nd June 2013, 23:08   #1092
BHPian

I have a question as to how the average FE gets calculated in the Amaze. Is it average to date, average for the 'trip' or something else?I guess it can't be average to date because then, the FE wouldn't have changed so much every time ( the more kilometres you have done, the slower would the average move for every incremental km). But then, I am not sure. Any idea, friends? Or has this already been discussed?
Old 3rd June 2013, 09:44   #1093
BHPian

The most accurate way to calculate fuel economy is to fill a tankful of fuel and reset the trip meter before driving out of the fuel station. After driving a good distance, say more than half tankful, top the tank upto the cutoff again. Now take the distance you have driven on the trip meter and divide it by the amount of diesel you just filled. You get the vehicle's mileage in km/l. This old school method hands-down beats trusting a digital mileage readout which are sometimes very optimistic.
Old 3rd June 2013, 11:04   #1094
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motored Mindset View Post
..... fill a tankful of fuel and reset the trip meter before driving out of the fuel station. After driving a good distance, say more than half tankful, top the tank upto the cutoff again. Now take the distance you have driven.....
Even here you will find error of about 1litre quite common. So look across a few tankfuls. It is not easy to always use the same bunk AND the same attendant.
Old 3rd June 2013, 11:55   #1095

Hi BHPians,

Just read that HCIL has hit the highest ever monthly sales in May 2013.

Largely due to the AMAZing AMAZE

Have attached the full report from their website.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf HCIL Sales Release -May '13 (final).pdf (548.9 KB, 1023 views)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks