Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th July 2013, 14:13   #1261
BHPian

re: Review: 1st-gen Honda Amaze (2013)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
@Top-Gear; I find the Civic about 12-15% optimistic, while the Brio is about 8%. Now remember you need a differential flow sensor (inflow-outflow) so a few percent error is to be expected. I am a bit surprised by the display being pessimistic, but then it may happen. In the Civic there are two displays, so while I use on for the tank the other I use as a trip meter.
Yesterday when I calculated the average using tankful to tankful method, I found that to be lesser than the digital reading as you pointed out. Don't remember exactly by how much, but it was in the 5-10 % range.
Old 10th July 2013, 16:44   #1262
BHPian

MID Average does not account for fuel evaporation due to heat. Also some MID's do not calculate when the engine is idling. Perhaps that explains the variation?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top-Gear View Post
Yesterday when I calculated the average using tankful to tankful method, I found that to be lesser than the digital reading as you pointed out. Don't remember exactly by how much, but it was in the 5-10 % range.
Old 11th July 2013, 09:24   #1263
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by allajunaki View Post
MID Average does not account for fuel evaporation due to heat. Also some MID's do not calculate when the engine is idling. Perhaps that explains the variation?
Could ne what you say since my Civic is driver far less than the Brio. But evaporation losses are far less in new cars since the stuff is captured in an adsorbent and then sucked back. Also, I do see the figure dropping esp. when stuck in traffic immediately after filling.
Old 11th July 2013, 09:37   #1264
BHPian

I'm no expert, but I think fuel tanks are still designed to vent out some fuel in order protect the tank from excess pressure. So evaporation is still a factor. Also, from what I have read, Diesel evaporation is less than petrol.
I guess most of the modern MID's do account for idling consumption (My Vento does too).
Quote:
Could ne what you say since my Civic is driver far less than the Brio. But evaporation losses are far less in new cars since the stuff is captured in an adsorbent and then sucked back. Also, I do see the figure dropping esp. when stuck in traffic immediately after filling.
Old 11th July 2013, 16:47   #1265
BHPian

Quote:
@ozzyrules; There is far more weight in the Front than the rear. Even the Brio has 29 and 26 recommended, even though it is a petrol
I checked the recommended pressure for my (petrol) amaze again. It's 29 psi for both front and rear tyres . Am I reading it wrong? Can somebody please confirm? Thanks!
Old 11th July 2013, 19:29   #1266
BHPian

Quote:
I checked the recommended pressure for my (petrol) amaze again. It's 29 psi for both front and rear tyres . Am I reading it wrong? Can somebody please confirm? Thanks!
Guess it depends on the car. On my A-star and Optra (petrol), the recommended pressure is the same for all 4 wheels.
But, as Sgiitk pointed out, the Brio needs a higher pressure at front.
Old 11th July 2013, 20:36   #1267
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzyrules View Post
Guess it depends on the car. On my A-star and Optra (petrol), the recommended pressure is the same for all 4 wheels.
But, as Sgiitk pointed out, the Brio needs a higher pressure at front.
I agree, but then, let's not forget that the Amaze is Brio's sibling and the 1.2L i-vtec is the same engine. Hence was surprised at the variation in the recommended tyre pressure. Perhaps Sgiitk can throw some light on this.
Old 12th July 2013, 10:46   #1268
BANNED

Quote:
I checked the recommended pressure for my (petrol) amaze again. It's 29 psi for both front and rear tyres .
Quite likely to be so since their is more weight over the rear tyres.
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2013, 12:47   #1269
BHPian

Quote:
Quite likely to be so since their is more weight over the rear tyres.
Thank you! I take it to mean that as compared to the Brio, the extra weight of the Amaze at the rear would balance out that of the engine in the front?
Old 12th July 2013, 14:17   #1270
BANNED

Quote:
Thank you! I take it to mean that as compared to the Brio, the extra weight of the Amaze at the rear would balance out that of the engine in the front?
Not exactly, you will not get the 50:50 front to rear ratio but it will become more favourable as compared to the Brio. Only a few Beemers and the Alfa's with rear mounted gearboxes, and of course the exotic mid engined lot are in this regime.

Last edited by sgiitk : 12th July 2013 at 14:18.
Old 15th July 2013, 13:20   #1271
BHPian

i have a doubt. heard VW Vento ground clearance is not enough and its hitting the speed breakers with 168 mm of GC. How about Amaze with 165 mm Ground Clearance. people who are using please clarify this. I have booked an Amaze - SMT. awaiting your response.
Old 15th July 2013, 15:45   #1272
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjun1010 View Post
How about Amaze with 165 mm Ground Clearance. people who are using please clarify this.
Though not sure if that is the case here, apart from ground clearance wheelbase and over- hang also are major factors.
Old 15th July 2013, 16:29   #1273
BHPian

Quote:
i have a doubt. heard VW Vento ground clearance is not enough and its hitting the speed breakers with 168 mm of GC. How about Amaze with 165 mm Ground Clearance. people who are using please clarify this. I have booked an Amaze - SMT. awaiting your response.
I personally haven't scraped even once, even with 4 adults on board. Most of the time though, I am alone with my love , so chances of scraping the bottom over speedbrakers, is also low, in all fairness. But I am quite sure it's not an issue as it was with Jazz and Civic.
Old 15th July 2013, 18:08   #1274
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Just completed a 1000 kms drive over all types of roads - 4 laned roads , 2 laned highways , ghat roads with deep potholes , winding roads ,.. With 5 adults and a boot full of luggage. Never had any issues with scrapping the underbody. FE was about 20.5 kpl overall with AC on 60%. Was sticking to 100-120 kph. Top speed is 145 kph , engine hits a limiter at 145 speedo
speedsatya is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th July 2013, 08:32   #1275
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedsatya View Post
Just completed a 1000 kms drive over all types of roads - 4 laned roads , 2 laned highways , ghat roads with deep potholes , winding roads ,.. With 5 adults and a boot full of luggage. Never had any issues with scrapping the underbody. FE was about 20.5 kpl overall with AC on 60%. Was sticking to 100-120 kph. Top speed is 145 kph , engine hits a limiter at 145 speedo
Wow 5 adults and boot full luggage, yet no under body scrapping on the ghat sections leading to Mangalore(Those who know these roads will understand) means we can officially certify the GC of the Honda amaze to be excellent even under full load
rajshenoy is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks