Search this Thread
Old 8th December 2014, 10:14   #196
BHPian

Re: Mitsubishi Pajero Sport - A Super Upgrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
Here is the url for the FB group:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/2323...73774/?fref=ts

Thank you for those kind words. I only share what little I know.
@n.devdath and @anshuman_v- I did join the group.

Also, I took my big dog for a long drive. I put the third seat up (only one), and put dog hammock. My dog is not a very good traveller in previous experience, but this ride he was comfortable and did not jump around because of jerky ride.
Old 8th December 2014, 18:25   #197
BHPian

First of all congrats to you Satpal. We also upgraded recently to the Pajero Sport and love the vehicle. I took it for a drive from Bangalore to Kerela, and it drove like a dream.
Apart from the hard gearbox, which you get used to eventually, I think this is an amazing vehicle. Especially the suspensions, as this vehicle can literally fly at the speed of 80-90 on bad roads, without you feeling anything inside. I did that on the way to Kerela and was inching to do the same stretch on the way back and test this beasts capability.
Just Amazing !!
Drive Safe
Karlitoz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2014, 21:34   #198
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlitoz View Post
First of all congrats to you Satpal. We also upgraded recently to the Pajero Sport and love the vehicle. I took it for a drive from Bangalore to Kerela, and it drove like a dream.
Did you try the 4H mode on highways, and if yes, did you feel any difference?
Old 8th December 2014, 22:19   #199
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asinghal View Post
Did you try the 4H mode on highways, and if yes, did you feel any difference?
Yes..In fact when I took the test drive itself, I tried that at a speed of 160. I found the handling and braking to be much better in 4H. But when I took it to Kerela recently, I did try the 4H a few times to see the difference. In terms of acceleration, it went down a few notches, but the handling was just superb.

In fact, on high speeds, 4H was really good and stable, and cutting through the traffic was very easy.

Waiting to try the 4L in though. Had tried it in some heavy slush during the test drive. Waiting for the real thing now
Old 8th December 2014, 22:53   #200
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlitoz View Post
Yes..In fact when I took the test drive itself, I tried that at a speed of 160. I found the handling and braking to be much better in 4H. But when I took it to Kerela recently, I did try the 4H a few times to see the difference. In terms of acceleration, it went down a few notches, but the handling was just superb.

In fact, on high speeds, 4H was really good and stable, and cutting through the traffic was very easy.

Waiting to try the 4L in though. Had tried it in some heavy slush during the test drive. Waiting for the real thing now
Considering that this is not a fulltime 4wd vehicle, you are looking at serious gearbox failure if you drive in 4H at high speeds on tarmac.
jaysmokesleaves is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2014, 23:26   #201
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysmokesleaves View Post
Considering that this is not a fulltime 4wd vehicle, you are looking at serious gearbox failure if you drive in 4H at high speeds on tarmac.
Hey Jay...I was in 4H, and not in 4Hlc....If you actually check the first page of this thread, there is a picture posted of the various modes, and when can they be used.

In 4H fuel consumption is higher and the pick up is reduced. I don't think it will have an impact at the Gear box. I confirmed this with the guys at the dealership as well. In fact, during my test drive itself, they made me change the mode to 4H, and then asked me to accelerate further and check the handling. I touched 180 in the 4H mode, and handling was superb while cutting through the highway..
Karlitoz is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th December 2014, 10:18   #202
BHPian

Quote:
Jay, do you have any data/article around this? I have the Pajero Sport, and in my research and driving as well - this did not seem to be the case. In fact, the 4H mode is recommended for higher speeds on the highways since it adds to the stability.
anshuman_v is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th December 2014, 11:03   #203
BANNED

Quote:
Wrong.
The 4H in the Pajero Sport uses a viscous coupling which is meant to be used on all surfaces as any other AWD vehicle without any damage to any components.

The only negative here is higher fuel consumption and slightly increased front tire wear.
n.devdath is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th December 2014, 10:39   #204
Senior - BHPian

Ok. Good to know that. I always thought that the lack of a full time 4wd was the only negative feature in the Pajero Sport and one of the reasons why i would put my money on the Fortuner instead of the Pajero.
But this information changes that.
But can you clarify why this needs to be engaged only on the highways/ high spped driving?
Can it be driven in 4H at all times including urban driving, if fuel consumption is not a concern for the user ?

Devdath, can you explain why additional front tire wear in 4H?

Last edited by jaysmokesleaves : 10th December 2014 at 10:41.
Old 10th December 2014, 11:28   #205
BHPian

Quote:
But can you clarify why this needs to be engaged only on the highways/ high spped driving?
Can it be driven in 4H at all times including urban driving, if fuel consumption is not a concern for the user ?
You can engage 4H anytime, even during the regular urban driving. I generally drive in 2H and shifts to 4H only during rain or in hilly areas or if going through extremely rough patches on road.

2H does improve fuel consumption and since you've this amazing shift-on-the-fly feature so why not use it when not in immediate need for 4H. Atleast this is the advantage we have over AWD cars. Although if you choose to drive 4H all the time, I don't think there would be any major concerns apart from fuel consumption.
satpalsharma is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th December 2014, 12:42   #206
BANNED

Quote:
Absolutely.

Quote:
Devdath, can you explain why additional front tire wear in 4H?
When the front tires need to cope up with traction along with steering force, they tend to wear out faster than tires which only steer. However, the rate of wear and tear is negligible.
n.devdath is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th December 2014, 15:44   #207
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Pajero and Pajero sport both have centre differential and can be driven in 4H permanently in all conditions and all speeds. Unlike in the Fortuner, Pajero allows you to go to 2H to reduce wear and tear and fuel consumption.
4x4addict is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th December 2014, 21:22   #208
BHPian

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post messages that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further. We request you to post ONLY when you have something substantial to add to a discussion.

Last edited by GTO : 23rd December 2014 at 13:30.
daebis is offline   Received Infraction
Old 17th February 2015, 01:44   #209
BHPian

I own a Pajero sport so wanted to share a few things
1. What is the average fuel consumption on driving at speeds above 80. For me its around 17kmpl at 70 and at 100 it drops down to 10. Such a drastic difference. Do you experience the same?

2. The car is difficult to drive in rain. With difficult i mean a disaster. Going to some good size puddles which are easy to find in India the water is pushed both forwards and onto windshield instead of dissipating the to sides at speed over 40 and if its on a highway then its like getting ready for a disaster.

3. There are rattles and creaking inside the dashboard

4. The Turbo Lag is annoying
Old 17th February 2015, 05:20   #210
AAD
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V12Doc View Post
I own a Pajero sport so wanted to share a few things
1. What is the average fuel consumption on driving at speeds above 80. For me its around 17kmpl at 70 and at 100 it drops down to 10. Such a drastic difference. Do you experience the same?

2. The car is difficult to drive in rain. With difficult i mean a disaster. Going to some good size puddles which are easy to find in India the water is pushed both forwards and onto windshield instead of dissipating the to sides at speed over 40 and if its on a highway then its like getting ready for a disaster.

3. There are rattles and creaking inside the dashboard

4. The Turbo Lag is annoying

Hi V12Doc,

Since I don't own a Pajero Sport I can't comment on points 1, 3 & 4, though the drop in fuel efficiency does look dramatic. Certainly there is the aerodynamic factor at play here but that it can cause such a massive difference is an eye opener. Maybe other Pajero Sport owners can throw more light on this.

Regarding Point 2, the Pajero Sport has very short front overhangs for better approach angle and greater off road ability. Therefore when you hit a puddle, the water will tend to come up over the windshield. I had a Maruti Gypsy earlier and it also exhibited similar behaviour.

I understand that this can be disconcerting but the best way to reduce such occurrences is to drive at a slower speed on bad stretches, especially when it's raining.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks