Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 27th January 2021, 09:15   #4741
BHPian

re: Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lambydude View Post
A quick question to Bangalore BHPians. Any idea about PPS Skoda service center? Please do share any any recent experience on how good/bad they might be analysing a problem in the car and not doing the routine service.
I had a good experience for a very different issue documented here: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offic...ml#post4981145

While your mileage may vary, we only have 2 options here in Bangalore!
srvshaun is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th January 2021, 23:22   #4742
BHPian

I would like to know if any Octavia owners face an issue of noise / cracking sound coming from the sun roof area while cruising on rough roads. I am facing this issue since the purchase of my vehicle. Skoda dealer team says this is present in all vehicles but after I really blasted them they have agreed to change the sunroof under warranty. However, they are still not sure whether that would solve the problem.
Old 28th January 2021, 06:41   #4743
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick145 View Post
I would like to know if any Octavia owners face an issue of noise / cracking sound coming from the sun roof area while cruising on rough roads. I am facing this issue since the purchase of my vehicle. Skoda dealer team says this is present in all vehicles but after I really blasted them they have agreed to change the sunroof under warranty.
Supremely common issue across most Octavias in India and abroad. The sunroof seal slowly dries out & the MQB chassis flexes during diagonal stress over rough roads causing the awful creaking noises.

The best bet is to remove the sunroof cassette fully, clean the old sealant and refit the unit. Definitely get them to do it under warranty. Just Google for Octavia sunroof noises in this thread and on other forums like briskoda.
itwasntme is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2021, 18:44   #4744
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by krishnadevjs View Post
Skoda CC too called me today and said this isn't a common trait and they're getting it checked again.
Quick update on this:
Skoda CC directed me to the dealer, EVM Skoda, Ernakulam again. They asked me to get the vehicle again to them - which I said I could not as I live 250km away in Trivandrum. The case was then handed off to Malayalam Skoda, the dealer in Trivandrum.

Gave my vehicle yesterday to Malayalam Skoda. The diagnosis is that the steering column has a defect and needs to be replaced - an in-warranty repair of a part that apparently costs Rs. 80k!? They've put in the request to replace this part, and post receipt of the part (in about 15 days), I'll be able to get rid of this sound, hopefully.

On a related note, I had got a Check Coolant light barely 20 days after getting the car back from the Annual Service. This after I had specifically asked EVM to check for coolant leak. Malayalam Skoda has diagnosed it as a leak from a thermostat seal, which also they'd be replacing under warranty.

Didn't waste any time in taking extended warranty for the 5th and 6th year.
krishnadevjs is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2021, 19:12   #4745
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by krishnadevjs View Post
The diagnosis is that the steering column has a defect and needs to be replaced - an in-warranty repair of a part that apparently costs Rs. 80k!?

Malayalam Skoda has diagnosed it as a leak from a thermostat seal, which also they'd be replacing under warranty.

Didn't waste any time in taking extended warranty for the 5th and 6th year.
Totally agree. Wish Skoda offered warranty for more number of years. Other prone-to-failure parts are the water pump and air compressor.
Old 5th February 2021, 22:11   #4746
BHPian

Hello,

I have received check coolant level error message and saw that there is a leak. My service advisor suggested that I bring the car to service center either after pouring in distilled water into the coolant chamber and driving OR by calling skoda RSA flatbed.

I'm too lazy to call RSA and schedule the pick up of my car. Is it a good idea to drive 10 kms after filling the coolant chamber with distilled water?

If No, can anyone share Skoda RSA contact number? I do have Skoda Shield extended warranty.
Old 5th February 2021, 23:14   #4747
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hello,

I have received check coolant level error message and saw that there is a leak. My service advisor suggested that I bring the car to service center either after pouring in distilled water into the coolant chamber and driving OR by calling skoda RSA flatbed.

I'm too lazy to call RSA and schedule the pick up of my car. Is it a good idea to drive 10 kms after filling the coolant chamber with distilled water?

If No, can anyone share Skoda RSA contact number? I do have Skoda Shield extended warranty.
I would genuinely suggest you call RSA. But incase you still want to drive the car down yourself check for the following.

Pour the distilled water upto the max mark in the tank and let the car idle for 15-20 minutes. If you see that the coolant is leaking out fast, call for the RSA.

If it isn't, keep engine speeds low and drive it to the service centre. Keep a close eye on the temp guage needle and don't let it move beyond 90-95. Carry distilled water as well not to mention.

The issue with the 1.8 TSI apart from the water pump is that the thermostat usually leaks and shorts its own couplers causing engine overheating and EPC in extreme cases. This is the reason why I suggest RSA as first priority. Even with enough coolant, if the thermostat in your car has failed, it will start overheating.

Last edited by vishy76 : 5th February 2021 at 23:16.
vishy76 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th February 2021, 06:08   #4748
BHPian

I need to replace the horn on my 2010 Skoda Laura. I have been using some local horn and it failed within a year. Annoyingly, it has about 3-4 sounds (low pitched to high pitched) right now if I use the horn.

And I don't know if this part in armrest of back seat would be available separately outside or I should go for 3D scanning and printing for this. I am unable to use the armrest due to failure of this part. It shows superb's arm rest in the image but 2010 Laura has identical part. Image attached below.

Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-36-superb-seats-rear-armrest1.jpg

Last edited by Aditya : 9th February 2021 at 06:59. Reason: Quoted text deleted
Restart is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th February 2021, 12:53   #4749

Quote:
A quick question to Bangalore BHPians. Any idea about PPS Skoda service center? I need to service my Octavia and there could be potential repair work as I'm getting "check coolant" message.

I'm getting a service date from Tafe Kudlu gate for Feb 20 th which is almost a month away. However, not sure about diagnostic expertise from the newer PPS skoda. Please do share any any recent experience on how good/bad they might be analysing a problem in the car and not doing the routine service.

I went to PPS, couple of months back, for changing the front break-pads of my Octy 1.8TSi. I reached there at 9.30am and was out from there at ~10.30am. The job was very small - but they didn't make me wait. The SA attended immediately and the vehicle was taken to the bay also without much delay. Overall, happy with the way they dealt. I tried PPS for the first time- because TAFE didn't had any slots for 2 weeks then!
Old 11th February 2021, 10:27   #4750
Senior - BHPian

Guys anyone has the brochure or feature list of 2016-17 Octavia Style TDI AT plus? What was ex-showroom price in 2017? Also, how many air bags did the Style plus version have? Any specific issues I should look at?

I have come across a 2017 registered Octavia TDI AT run around 51K. The dealer is quoting 12.9L for it. Wanted to do my research before approaching him.

Last edited by Pancham : 11th February 2021 at 10:29.
Old 11th February 2021, 10:38   #4751
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancham View Post
Guys anyone has the brochure or feature list of 2016-17 Octavia Style TDI AT plus?

I have come across a 2017 registered Octavia TDI AT run around 51K. The dealer is quoting 12.9L for it.
You could probably look here and see if it helps.
centaur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th February 2021, 11:13   #4752
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancham View Post
Guys anyone has the brochure or feature list of 2016-17 Octavia Style TDI AT plus? What was ex-showroom price in 2017? Also, how many air bags did the Style plus version have? Any specific issues I should look at?

I have come across a 2017 registered Octavia TDI AT run around 51K. The dealer is quoting 12.9L for it. Wanted to do my research before approaching him.
I have 2016 registered MY17 Octavia Style Plus. The ex showroom price was around 22-23 in Noida around October 2016 when i purchased the car.

The basic features of the style plus for 2016-2017 (assuming it is a MY17 car) would be:

1. Xenon headlights (Auto) with the DRL strip and cornering function
2. Auto wipers
3. Leather interiors
4. Navigation with Shark Fin antenna (this was the big differentiator for the MY17 cars from MY16 cars)
5. 8 airbags; ESC, Hill Hold
6. Front and Rear parking sensors with rear camera
7. Start Stop button and keyless entry
8. Paddle shifters on the steering wheel
9. Auto dimming interior and exterior rear view mirror
10. Manual rear glass sunshade
11. Memory seats for driver with auto controls
12. Sunroof

Look out/ keep in the mind for the following issues:

1. Headlight DRL turning yellow (1 headlight changed for me)
2. AC compressor (i have mine changed once)
3. All ac vents for breakage
4. start stop button (can be hesitant at time- replaced for me)
5. Steering wheel scrollers (tend to break easily- replaced for me)
6. Brake discs and pads may be due for a change
7. check the button for memory seats for any damage
8. check the sunroof for rattle (very common for Octavia)
9. the DSG box on this is very reliable but do take a long test drive specially in traffic. the box is known to be slightly jerky in slow moving traffic. Nothing to be worried about there but it should not be a surprise for you if you drive it for the first time.
10. Keep in mind that while the headlights are xenon they are not the brightest and may leave you wanting
11. Get the engine bay and underbody inspected for any leaks. Skoda should give a vehicle history for a nominal fee. This would have come with the 4 year warranty so should have been serviced with Skoda so far
12. At 60k the gearbox oil would need replacement. If the car does not have a service pack, this will cost around 15k with labor. If with service pack, it is included.
13. Check tires. The stock Goodyear are known to go hard in 30-32k km.

If there is anything else, feel free to drop a PM.

Cheers
Rohan
RohanDheman is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 11th February 2021, 12:30   #4753
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RohanDheman View Post

Look out/ keep in the mind for the following issues:

1. Headlight DRL turning yellow (1 headlight changed for me)
2. AC compressor (i have mine changed once)
3. All ac vents for breakage
4. start stop button (can be hesitant at time- replaced for me)
5. Steering wheel scrollers (tend to break easily- replaced for me)
6. Brake discs and pads may be due for a change
7. check the button for memory seats for any damage
8. check the sunroof for rattle (very common for Octavia)
9. the DSG box on this is very reliable but do take a long test drive specially in traffic. the box is known to be slightly jerky in slow moving traffic. Nothing to be worried about there but it should not be a surprise for you if you drive it for the first time.
10. Keep in mind that while the headlights are xenon they are not the brightest and may leave you wanting
11. Get the engine bay and underbody inspected for any leaks. Skoda should give a vehicle history for a nominal fee. This would have come with the 4 year warranty so should have been serviced with Skoda so far
12. At 60k the gearbox oil would need replacement. If the car does not have a service pack, this will cost around 15k with labor. If with service pack, it is included.
13. Check tires. The stock Goodyear are known to go hard in 30-32k km.

Cheers
Rohan
Agree on all the points highlighted by Rohan. Mine too is 2016 MY17 TDI Style Plus DSG, registered in April 17. Had changed AC compressor, Battery, Steering wheel scrollers and rework on sunroof due to rattling - all under warranty. Also check out if the previous owner had taken 2 year extended warranty. Will be very useful. If still time is available, please take it if you are planning to go for the Octy. Also be prepared for occasional door rubber beading rubbing sounds if not cleaned/lubricated atleast once in 6 months.

Otherwise an excellent ride. Have done about 52k kms as of today. Tyres changed at 43 k. Have not come across the DSG jerk till now (touchwood!). Brake pads and rotor are good still for another 15 k kms and have not changed till now.
Karvel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th February 2021, 13:16   #4754
Senior - BHPian

This is incredibly useful guys!! Planning to check out the car today or tomorrow. Lets see. Any thoughts on the dealer quote of 12.9L?
Old 11th February 2021, 13:28   #4755
Team-BHP Support

I’ve noticed that the DRLs on some of the Octavias and Superbs plying on the road, tend to get yellowish and a few with fused DRLs on one side. This seems like a common problem across the brand? Even Kodiaq users may have to worry especially when this happens outside of the warranty period.
Gannu_1 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed