Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th December 2021, 17:54   #151
BHPian

Re: Asterix, my 2021 Force Gurkha | The adventure begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuuj View Post
Thank you!
What type of TPMS does the Gurkha come with, is it the direct one or ABS sensor kind? Could the different alloys and tyres be any cause for the malfunction?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shekhar Rao View Post
Hi everyone
I had taken Nemo on a 900 kms trip through .
Doc, how is your Nemo holding up? Any gremlins haunting you?
vigneshkumar31 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th December 2021, 18:20   #152
BHPian

Thanks Manuuj for your explanation. My next question is that as the front axle is not driven in 2 wheel drive, the front wheels are anyway free spinning albeit with the axle. When we want to lock the 2 front wheels together we will achieve that using the diff lock. Hence, what additionally would hub lockers do by engaging and disengaging (if they were present) whether manual or automatic ?

Asterix and Benji look wonderful. I enjoyed the various coats you have for Benji and how nicely he has posed on the rear wheel!
I too captured a picture that shows the size aspect of the Gurkha

An in answer to an earlier question, I have not gone into details about the differences in insurance coverage between items where there is need to directly contact individual suppliers. I hope Force will act as central coordinator for any such need.
In terms of driving experience of SUVs I feel that a 4 or 5 seater gives the best driving pleasure. The moment it becomes a 7 seater, this aspect is compromised. Most of the time the last 2 seats are not usable anyway. I don't know about the very expensive 7 seaters though. Therefore I have reservations about how the 5 door version of the Gurkha will turn out in this respect.

MOD NOTE : Please punctuate after your sentence / paragraph, not after or between sentences. Request you to please go through Posting Etiquettes before proceeding any further.
Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Asterix, my 2021 Force Gurkha | The adventure begins-20211226_074011.jpg  

Last edited by Sheel : 29th December 2021 at 11:51. Reason: Mod note attached.
Shekhar Rao is offline   (14) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 26th December 2021, 18:49   #153
BHPian

Another awesome review of the Gurkha by Prashant ji. Very good information shared about the 4X4 capabilities and correct usage of Differential Locks.

Manuuj is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 26th December 2021, 23:04   #154
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shekhar Rao View Post
Thanks Manuuj for your explanation .My further question is that as the front axle is not driven in 2 wheel drive , the front wheels are anyway free spinning albeit with the axle . When we want to lock the 2 front wheels together we will achieve that using the diff lock . Hence , what additionally would hub lockers do by engaging and disengaging ( if they were present ) whether manual or automatic..
You are not correct when you say that the front axle is not driven in 2 wheel drive. The front wheels are anyway free spinning without power going to them but the front axles are also spinning with them as the wheel hubs are locked with them. This causes wear of the CV axles and its mechanism.

The diferential drives the axles. The axle is connected to the wheel hub via a splined shaft. When the axle spins as the car moves so does the wheel hub spin as well. This causes additional friction and wear. Thus free wheeling hubs are installed. When in 2 wheel drive one can disengage the wheel hub from the axle so that the CV axle also does not spin and cause more friction or undergo unnecessary wear and tear.
In some 4x4's one had to manually lock or unlock the wheel hubs to the CV axle when engaging 4 wheel drive. Only then would the vehicle get power going to all 4 wheels.
In modern 4x4's this wheel hub locking to the CV axle joints is permanent whether 2H or when we engage 4 High or 4 Low.

What we want ideally, is that when we are in 2 High that is 4X2 mode then the Wheel Hubs should be "Free wheeling" and not locked with the CV Axle shaft so that the CV axle mechanism does not get unnecessary wear and tear. That is the job of "free wheeling hubs" or "hub lockers" as they are known.

When we want to LOCK the 2 front wheels so that they spin TOGETHER we will achieve that using the diff lockers that will lock both axles as one long shaft that will now spin together with power being distributed equally between them.
Thus we can see that the differential lock has a different function and hub lockers have an entirely different function.

Here is a short video that may explain the working of Hub Lockers

Hope that made things clearer.

Last edited by Manuuj : 26th December 2021 at 23:20.
Manuuj is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 27th December 2021, 03:20   #155
BHPian

Mod Note : Please quote ONLY the relevant bits of a post. Quoting a full, long post inconveniences our mobile readers.

Thanks!

Quote:
You are not correct when you say that the front axle is not driven in 2 wheel drive. The front wheels are anyway free spinning without power going to them but the front axles are also spinning with them as the wheel hubs are locked with them. This causes wear of the CV axles and its mechanism.
I learned something new today, thank you. The world of 4x4 gets more interesting by the day.

Last edited by Sheel : 29th December 2021 at 11:46. Reason: Mod note attached.
ThatBalenoGuy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th December 2021, 11:29   #156
BHPian

Quote:
Another awesome review of the Gurkha by Prashant ji. Very good information shared about the 4X4 capabilities and correct usage of Differential Locks.
Thanks for sharing this Manuuj!

That's a fabulous review I must say!

One thing I observed, the last couple of minutes where he drives the Thar, he is rocking in his seat like someone has held him and shook him. All through the video however, wherever he drove on rough patches, he was pretty stable right? Is that a difference in how both the vehicles are built or am I just seeing something Can someone help if UT really makes that big a difference, as in the ride quality?

Praveen
thepilgrim1424 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th December 2021, 12:18   #157
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepilgrim1424 View Post
Thanks for sharing this Manuuj!

That's a fabulous review I must say!

One thing I observed, the last couple of minutes where he drives the Thar, he is rocking in his seat like someone has held him and shook him. All through the video however, wherever he drove on rough patches, he was pretty stable right? Is that a difference in how both the vehicles are built or am I just seeing something Can someone help if UT really makes that big a difference, as in the ride quality?

Praveen
Even I noticed that he was quite stable in the Gurkha, but when in the end he is driving the Thar up that incline, he is moving with every bump on the ground. So, is the Gurkha such a well balanced machine? I am glad if it is.
AdityaDeane is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th December 2021, 18:13   #158
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepilgrim1424 View Post
One thing I observed, the last couple of minutes where he drives the Thar, he is rocking in his seat like someone has held him and shook him..
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdityaDeane View Post
Even I noticed that he was quite stable in the Gurkha, but when in ...
I noticed this as well. The Gurkha sure has a better suspension than the Thar, that i am confident about. But at the same time i think it may have been a particularly bumpy section of track that he was getting so vigorously shaken about.

I saw another video of a Gurkha being shot from inside a Thar and that person seemed very stable and comfortable in the Thar on the same track while following the Gurkha.

Il post the link to that one as well below. You will notice that the people in the Thar seem quite comfortable and are not getting thrown about.

Last edited by Manuuj : 27th December 2021 at 18:16. Reason: Youtube link added.
Manuuj is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 27th December 2021, 20:12   #159
BHPian

Quote:

This concludes my Initial Review of Asterix my "All New 2021 Force Gurkha".

It has certainly made huge leaps forward and has earned my respect. The same goes for "All New Force Motors" as well.

I shall be happy to answer any questions you may have and also shall keep updating this thread as often as possible with pics and any useful information as things go along.
1. Congratulations on acquiring pure adventure pleasure.

2. Been seriously considering the Gurkha as the next set of wheels once I am forced to let go of my trusted Pajero which has been my partner in Wanderlust adventures all these years.

3. Considering your experience & initial review, I am believing that the present model checks all the boxes for usage as a reliable overlander.

4. When the time comes, will look forward to your valuable inputs, and connect with you.

5. As of now, I have 3 questions:
a. What are the dimensions of the cabin behind the front row seats? (the idea is to set up a folding bed after removing the rear 2 seats just like the set up I have in my Pajero. I will need at least 5'9" of length)
b. What weight can the rain gutter support with a 4-clamp roof rack covering the whole of the roof?
c. Is there a recovery point possible to be clamped to the front?

6. Good luck, and lots of miles off the road!
Unavowed_X9 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th December 2021, 21:06   #160
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unavowed_X9 View Post
5. As of now, I have 3 questions:
This might help for accurate measurement purposes.

Asterix, my 2021 Force Gurkha | The adventure begins-img_0618.jpg
vigneshkumar31 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 28th December 2021, 07:10   #161
BHPian

Quote:
I noticed this as well. The Gurkha sure has a better suspension than the Thar, that i am confident about. But at the same time i think it may have been a particularly bumpy section of track that he was getting so vigorously shaken about.

Agree on this. I had posted the same question on his YouTube video and he confirmed saying it was indeed recorded on a rough patch of road

But on the other video you have shared, I think the video from inside the Thar is stable more because of video stabilization in the instrument used to shoot the video.

The more I think, the more I feel inclined towards the Gurkha. Time to TD I guess

Praveen
thepilgrim1424 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th December 2021, 09:03   #162

Hi Manuuj,
I was wondering if you have encountered the following issue or know someone who has an easy work around.
Whenever I put the car int 4H, and drive for 5-7 mins, and then try to slot it into 3H, slotting it back into 2H takes forever.
Till now, I have not been able to find a repeatable way to slot back into 2H
The Guys at Force motors have been brilliant to date, however in this regard, their suggestions are not working.
Have tried moving in first a few feet, tried to slot, then move a few feet behind, then try to slot. It works some times, but it’s not something that I can count on 100%
I really hope you, or any other guys who have driven the Gurkha have tip, which could lead me to an “Aa-Haaa” moment!!
Cenez is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th December 2021, 09:33   #163
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cenez View Post
Hi Manuuj,
I was wondering if you have encountered the following issue or know someone who has an easy work around.
Whenever I put the car int 4H, and drive for 5-7 mins, and then try to slot it into 3H, slotting it back into 2H takes forever.
Till now, I have not been able to find a repeatable way to slot back into 2H
Try this next time.

Gearbox in neutral.
Press clutch pedal fully.
Handbrake on.

Now try cycling through 2H-4H-N-4L (sequence may differ) different modes on the transfer case, it should shift without much effort.
Kosfactor is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th December 2021, 09:42   #164

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
Try this next time.

Gearbox in neutral.
Press clutch pedal fully.
Handbrake on.

Now try cycling through 2H-4H-N-4L (sequence may differ) different modes on the transfer case, it should shift without much effort.
Thanks Kosfactor!
That was quick. Will try that.
Cenez is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th December 2021, 11:00   #165
BHPian

Quote:

I saw another video of a Gurkha being shot from inside a Thar and that person seemed very stable and comfortable in the Thar on the same track while following the Gurkha.

Il post the link to that one as well below. You will notice that the people in the Thar seem quite comfortable and are not getting thrown about.

https://Youtu.be/EVKjZsM2eAw
Manuuj - in all probability the camera maybe on a gimbal which explains for stable video.
Sandegov is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks