Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th February 2009, 14:34   #466
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rippergeo View Post
I'm not much of a petrolhead, and do not fancy going down to RF/concorde for another TD of a car I'm not interested in(petrol), but would really appreciate it, if you could put up the 0-100 of the petrol and prove me wrong.
I dont give much importance to 0-100 timings, what matters to me is how it performs in real time traffic and on highways. 0-100 timings depend on a lot of variables. For example you have the Palio 1.6 which crosses the 100 mark in 11.XX seconds and you have the Swift 1.3 petrol doing the same in about 12-13 seconds, which is quick on paper. But in realilty, this car feels sluggish in city and suffers from poor bottom end torque. So this driveability factor makes the Swift petrol a relatively sluggish car in city conditions. Out on the highway though, this car can move very well.

Coming back to the Linea, the diesel motor feels a bit inadequate below the 2K rpm maek from whereon it starts picking up decently. The petrol motor has pretty good low end torque and is very drievable in the city with a full load of passengers and the a/c switched on. How it performs on highway while overtaking faster vehicles can only be understood once owners give us a fair idea on the same. What I personally feel is that the petrol is the easier motor to drive with since the low end torque is easily accessible coupled with the fact that it requires fewer gear shifts than the diesel.
Old 24th February 2009, 14:39   #467
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I'm not much of a petrolhead, and do not fancy going down to RF/concorde for another TD of a car I'm not interested in(petrol), but would really appreciate it, if you could put up the 0-100 of the petrol and prove me wrong.
0-100 isnt everything for everyone. Daily driving in traffic infested metro's is.... comfort is and bulild quality is.
Old 24th February 2009, 15:09   #468
BHPian

i have been promised the delivery of my silver petrol emotion latest by the 2nd of march. provided the financeing from sbi works out which it should. but the showroom people were pushing for hdfc finance which is 14.5%. so keeping my fingers crossed and hoping i ll get the car in this month itself.

there was a booking cancellation and hence they have an extra car which can be delivered to me...

Anyone else who has already received the delivery of the petrol Linea...?
Old 24th February 2009, 15:19   #469
rippergeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
0-100 isnt everything for everyone. Daily driving in traffic infested metro's is.... comfort is and bulild quality is.
Precisely!
Daily driving in traffic infested metros isnt for everyone. Some of us car enthusiasts like driving fast. 0-100 becomes important then.

My answer was in response to a specific request for the 0-100 timings to be put up. I had the info at hand for the Diesel, I put it up.I was told by the sales staff that the petrol is slower, I passed it on.
I still dont see anyone refuting what I said.
All I get in response is.."0-100 timings are not important"
The GTX does 0-100 in 11secs odd, shall I go around saying that those timings(decent) dont matter? What would the Fiat mafia have to say in response then?

If the 0-100 number of the linea is embarrassing for Fiat, I'm sorry for causing it, but it is the truth. Why should I suppress the facts because it hurts the feelings of fiat fans?

This car comes from the same company that gave India its first hot hatch. This car also comes from the same company that is touted by its fans as the saviour of all enthusiast drivers.
This car is slow.

Old 24th February 2009, 15:34   #470
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If the 0-100 number of the linea is embarrassing for Fiat, I'm sorry for causing it, but it is the truth. Why should I suppress the facts because it hurts the feelings of fiat fans?
Well the car isnt fast but it isnt slow either... not slow enough to cause embarassment atleast. People who are buying the car havent closed their eyes to performance completely.
Old 24th February 2009, 15:45   #471
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Daily driving in traffic infested metros isnt for everyone. Some of us car enthusiasts like driving fast. 0-100 becomes important then.
This car comes from the same company that gave India its first hot hatch. This car also comes from the same company that is touted by its fans as the saviour of all enthusiast drivers.
Fiat has learnt its lessons from Palio 1.6 GTX!
If it continues to cater to the few enthusiasts in this country, it won't make money and sustain in India.
Hence, they have rightfully gone for a engine which offers a mix of decent power, torque, drivebility and FE.
Quote:
I was told by the sales staff that the petrol is slower, I passed it on.
So you will blindly believe what the Sales staff says?
Quote:
I still dont see anyone refuting what I said.
No-one here has tested 0-100 on Linea P so far.
Quote:
If the 0-100 number of the linea is embarrassing for Fiat, I'm sorry for causing it, but it is the truth.
Nobody here claimed that Linea has a powerful engine to burn those 0-100 figures.

Last edited by finneyp : 24th February 2009 at 15:46.
Old 24th February 2009, 15:48   #472
BHPian

Quote:
Well the car isnt fast but it isnt slow either... not slow enough to cause embarassment atleast. People who are buying the car havent closed their eyes to performance completely.

Very well said extreme_torque. I am using the diesel Linea and though it is not a racy or sporty car to drive it is not slow either. I dont know why people so judgemental about its power delivery. i am using this car and I am quite satisfied with it. And I feel its better than the Logan and Fiesta diesels. So if you place it against the competition also only the Verna beats this diesel motor.
Plus the benefit of a good FE, though not wonders i got 14.8 in city driving with AC on 90% of the time.
Old 24th February 2009, 15:52   #473
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roms View Post
I dont give much importance to 0-100 timings
Quote:
0-100 isnt everything for everyone.
Quote:
Well the car isnt fast but it isnt slow either... not slow enough to cause embarassment atleast.
Quote:
Originally Posted by finneyp View Post
Hence, they have rightfully gone for a engine which offers a mix of decent power, torque, drivebility and FE.
Quote:
Nobody here claimed that Linea has a powerful engine to burn those 0-100 figures.
It took about 4 full years on Team BHP, but BOY is this thread worth it just for these comments.

5 Stars!
Old 24th February 2009, 16:00   #474
Senior - BHPian

Steer, what is wrong with those comments?

It is posts like yours which absolutely adds no value to the discussion!
Old 24th February 2009, 16:03   #475
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
It took about 4 full years on Team BHP, but BOY is this thread worth it just for these comments.

5 Stars!
Dunno about others but would you care to explain why do you have a problem if I dont have any problem with the 0-100 performance numbers.

I am not in Dubai and I dont get petrol for cheap here and nor the cars.
Old 24th February 2009, 16:04   #476
BHPian

Linea magazine Road tests

The march issues of both AUTOCAR and Overdrive seem to be having Linea (P) road tests.
So all the performance figures should be out soon!
Old 24th February 2009, 16:04   #477
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Steer, what is wrong with those comments?

It is posts like yours which absolutely adds no value to the discussion!
Thanks for the feedback, finney. I have endeavoured to make my posts as meaningful as yours are, but I understand that I need to try harder.
Old 24th February 2009, 16:15   #478
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukrit7 View Post
harry10- Ur calling a lot of people abnormal; timings don't have much to do with normality, it's just preference, driving styles and wishes that govern these things. Sorry for going ot.
Sukrit you got it completely off the hook.
Meaning of a normal person in a driving term- who is a general car driver whose main purpose is to go from point A to point B in a comfortable and easy way.
the other one is not called abnormal but an enthusiast(which most of us here are including me) - who prefers a good pickup,torque and lots of driving pleasure.
So 0-100 figures are baseless for a normal person like say my Dad who doesnt cares about the torques and bhps. And around 90% car driving people are like that.
Hope my point is much clear now.
Sorry for the OT.
Cheers!
Old 24th February 2009, 16:49   #479
Senior - BHPian

This is the completely howlarious thread - i mean, cmon.

Someone read the Aveo threads to realize the amount of junk that happens with the four letter F word

Heck, GTO's threads in the 'similar threads' section never got half as much attention despite being written by the man himself in his inimitable style.
Old 24th February 2009, 16:56   #480
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Drove a friend's diesel Linea yesterday and I must say I am impressed. Its a lovely car. Feels solid, steering weighted well, good suspension and as long as you keep the engine revved up a little the power is fine. The car does give you an overall feel good factor. Now for Tata to support it well and in time ensure the resale vales remain decent. Fiat might just have a winner.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks