Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd March 2009, 14:22   #586
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
Someone acquires a Fiat 4 years ago and that automatically makes him an authority on not only Fiat, but Ferrari, Masseratti, Alfa Romeo, Carla Bruni, Pizza, the Sicilian mafia and all things Italian.

P.S. : The sad part is that the Fiat in question is neither here nor there. Instead if it had been a Palio1.6, you could cheer him for money well spent on a fast/quick car. But no, all that Fiat experience comes from owning a car which is neither quick, nor fuel efficient.

But then hey, it is a tank. And who cares about the car being quick or FE when the doors close with a 'thud'.
We would have surely done without this in this thread. Now that you have started it the 1.2 in question here is as quick if not more than the other cars in it class and has a ride and handling balance that can teach cars higher up the segment a lesson or two including the one in your screen name. And because its built like a 'tank' it doesnt disintegrates or rattles like a tin house in a tornado in 2 years time but then again 2 kmpl+/- is what makes or breakes the deal for these people.
Old 3rd March 2009, 14:44   #587
Senior - BHPian

@e_t, it was not my intention to bring the 1.2 here. And I agree that this thread could have done without it. But when the following comment came up, I could not resist. Especially because I (who supposedly has no clue) did not attribute any particular FE figure (good or bad) to the Linea.
Quote:
Would you believe the Linea owners who've quoted actual FE figures or someone who has no clue about Fiat cars?
But in hindsight, I should have just ignored that comment because when it comes from someone who earlier on issued a royal decree that all tbhp-ians should keep track of the Lineas getting delivered, I should have known that such comments are not even worthy of a response. Not even worth a sarcastic rejoinder.

EDIT: Only now did I notice that you dragged in my ride too in the fracas. Already we have the 1.2 in the fray, and don't want to bring another car into this - so am not biting the bait. Let's just say that to teach it a lesson, you need to keep up with it first.

BTW while we can talk all day about ride & handling, we down south get to see and try out all these cars in action on the track, which would be where the highest test of handling takes place. And believe me, I have seen 5-speed M800s doing it better on track than the said 1.2. So, I will take your arguments with a pinch of salt.

Last edited by supremeBaleno : 3rd March 2009 at 14:53.
Old 3rd March 2009, 14:56   #588
BANNED

This figure appears credible. +2 or -2 for good drivers and bad drivers respectively.

So for time being we can rest the speculation on Linea FE and focus on other aspects of Linea.
Quote:
Originally Posted by deepakhon View Post
ACI says it is 9.4 for city and 13.4/5 on highways, if I remember correctly.
Old 3rd March 2009, 19:46   #589
rdp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machine freak View Post
Hi every one... i got the delivery of my petrol linea yest. have just driven it for around 75km that too in the city. not crossed 80 km/h speed as yet. I m very happy with the quality of the car.

but the pick up seems a lil less than the car i had test driven on. Can anyone tell me if that too will improve after the first service?

The fe in the electronic meter shows 13.2 as the avg fuel consumption. this might be off by 1-2. got my tank filled yest so will know the actual fuel efficency only after a week. and hopefully it ll come to around 13 after the first service.

the car is no rocket. it performance is avg in terms of pick up. it tends to be much better after crossing 2500rpm. the high gear low speed driveablity is very good.

i m very happy with the control of the car. it takes in the pot holes well. the turning and cornering also feels very safe even at slightly higher speeds.

the acc does it s job very well. and the quality of equipment provided feels good and long lasting.

one thing i have not yet figured out is how to put the head light on high beam without continously pulling on the stick. will have to go through the manual for it. if anyone could thro some light on this.

Machine Freak, congrats on your new purchase. Have been reading in various posts about Linea regarding broken levers, handles and even the ORVM getting broken easily. Does the quality of fittings actually feel this fragile ? Have booked a petrol emotion++ and am quite alright with the engine power and fe (whatever it is). But things coming apart in the car is something quite unimaginable even in the case of the first Maruti 800 that I bought years ago. Your comments would be appreciated.
Old 4th March 2009, 15:53   #590
BHPian

@Machine_Freak
Congrats on your new ride. I have test driven Petrol Linea E+ and I felt that the car has adequate power. The engine grunt was nice to hear. I only drove it for few KM's and will do a much exhaustive TD later in the week.

Regarding high beam, did you try pushing the lever away from you? In some cars to activate high beam you need to push the lever.
Old 4th March 2009, 18:22   #591
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdp View Post
Machine Freak, congrats on your new purchase. Have been reading in various posts about Linea regarding broken levers, handles and even the ORVM getting broken easily. Does the quality of fittings actually feel this fragile ? Have booked a petrol emotion++ and am quite alright with the engine power and fe (whatever it is). But things coming apart in the car is something quite unimaginable even in the case of the first Maruti 800 that I bought years ago. Your comments would be appreciated.
@Rdp, yeah some(I mean few) of the plastics of the Linea are suspect. You can put them as a pessimist - Fragile or bad or as an optimist - delicate or soft . You take the pick, some of the platics are going to come out in your hand if you are a little rough. The only high point is hopefully they will not cost a bomb for replacement .

Now I am going to run from here, before others pounce on me.
Old 4th March 2009, 22:15   #592
BHPian

Ok, finally I saw a Linea on road in Bangalore today. On my way to office today morning from Bannerghatta rd to E-city, a flamingo red Linea overtook me and I tried to follow him. This stretch is with lots of speed breakers and trust me whoever says that Linea is underpowered, they must be kidding. It could really pick up well and gain speed within a short time. Ok, may be for a race driver it may not be good enough, but for a common man it is adequate. I assume that was a Diesel one, as I could see some smoke coming out of exhaust. Is it normal for even a new generation diesel vehicle?

Any of our T-Bhp members uses this road?
Old 4th March 2009, 23:58   #593
BANNED

Finally, me too - I spotted Linea on Bangalore road !

Few observations: Rear is OK. Fiat ought to do something with that front grill - due to this car design doesn't new. Front is too rounded. Most modern cars have taillights extending on boot. But in Linea, boot opening tapers off to make place for taillights and hence the boot opening is narrow.
Though Linea is dimensions match Corolla/Civic, it doesn't look big on road.
Old 5th March 2009, 07:40   #594
BHPian

I am curious to the see the black grille of the active variant. Anyone has seen that so far ?
Old 5th March 2009, 08:39   #595
BHPian

Post edited by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT use external picture hosts such as photobucket, imageshack etc. Your pictures have been reloaded via the Team-BHP Attachment system. We advise you to read our board rules carefully, before proceeding any further.

Any of you guys reminded of the Chrysler Concorde on seeing the front end?

Last edited by GTO : 5th March 2009 at 12:16.
Old 5th March 2009, 11:33   #596
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdp View Post

I dont think the levers are overly fragile. thought i have been pretty gentle with all the levers in my car. so only time will tell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pk_del View Post
@Machine_Freak
Congrats on your new ride. I have test driven Petrol Linea E+ and I felt that the car has adequate power. The engine grunt was nice to hear. I only drove it for few KM's and will do a much exhaustive TD later in the week.

Regarding high beam, did you try pushing the lever away from you? In some cars to activate high beam you need to push the lever.
thanks PK. i figured out how to put the beams on high mode. you have to pull the lever a lil more than regular and it stop s there. pull it again and it ll go back to the low beam.

during my intial 100km i thought the car was a lil slow in picking up. but i find it to be improving slightly now that i v driven some 300kms. though it might just be all in the head.
but taken the car to 120 the other day and it felt nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by downsouth View Post
@Rdp, yeah some(I mean few) of the plastics of the Linea are suspect. You can put them as a pessimist - Fragile or bad or as an optimist - delicate or soft . You take the pick, some of the platics are going to come out in your hand if you are a little rough. The only high point is hopefully they will not cost a bomb for replacement .

Now I am going to run from here, before others pounce on me.

i found the seat recliner a lil hard. but apart from that i dont think there is any other part which might come off.
also in the car that i had test driven the bonnet opener was broken off. so even that might be another suspect.

only time will tell. but i definately wont be treating these 2 parts roughly.
Old 5th March 2009, 11:53   #597
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by marathp View Post
Ok, finally I saw a Linea on road in Bangalore today. On my way to office today morning from Bannerghatta rd to E-city, a flamingo red Linea overtook me and I tried to follow him. This stretch is with lots of speed breakers and trust me whoever says that Linea is underpowered, they must be kidding. It could really pick up well and gain speed within a short time. Ok, may be for a race driver it may not be good enough, but for a common man it is adequate. I assume that was a Diesel one, as I could see some smoke coming out of exhaust. Is it normal for even a new generation diesel vehicle?

Any of our T-Bhp members uses this road?
I too use that road. I overtook a red emotion linea at the speed breaker village just before EC last week. I guess we must have seen the same one.
Old 5th March 2009, 13:15   #598
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by marathp
Ok, finally I saw a Linea on road in Bangalore today.
Quote:
Originally Posted by diabloo
Finally, me too - I spotted Linea on Bangalore road !
Looks like a day of Linea sightings. I also saw my first Linea in Chennai - at the Perungudi toll today at 11:45AM. It was a red one and a stickered TD vehicle. Had phone numbers on it to call for TD + a sticker on the rear bumper with the Fiat-India url. I think they were going to give TDs at some IT company on OMR.

Impressions : Looked big to me. Even though most tbhp-ians are buying that particular red color, I think Linea looks better in black.

Quote:
This stretch is with lots of speed breakers and trust me whoever says that Linea is underpowered, they must be kidding. It could really pick up well and gain speed within a short time.
What car were you driving ? Just to get a comparitive idea.

Quote:
I assume that was a Diesel one, as I could see some smoke coming out of exhaust. Is it normal for even a new generation diesel vehicle?
Yep, have seen Swift-D's smoking really bad. Even opened a thread on that since I expected modern diesels to be clean, but thread was locked due to some reason I don't remember.
Old 5th March 2009, 13:29   #599
Senior - BHPian

A few days back, while driving, I was wondering why I didn't get to see any Lineas on the road.
A moment later, I see this silver linea on the other side and told myself "Finally!"
And then, do i see the yellow stickers on the side...it was a demo car!
Old 5th March 2009, 14:03   #600
BHPian

I spotted a Silver Linea near SBOA school in Annanagar West. Looks real big and it was not a Demo car.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks