Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th February 2009, 12:29   #526
Senior - BHPian

As i read somewhere,FIL CEO told ,the car is not detuned.it's exactly the same engine tested by Car Magazines.
But ARAI tested and approved output as 86 Bhp instead of 90 Bhp for Diesel and 90 Bhp instead of 95Bhp for Petrol.
Old 26th February 2009, 13:27   #527
BHPian

Just slipped out of my head, the FE figures claimed are 9.4 kmpl in city and 13.4 kmpl on highways. On the lower side but with a light foot and in 80-100 km/h range, the highway figure could be close to the 15-18 kmpl range, considering I get the same from my 1.6 engine.
Old 26th February 2009, 14:58   #528
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roms View Post
For those interested in the 0-100 timings for the Linea Petrol :-

ACI has clocked the following figures,
0-60 - 6.21 seconds
0-100 - 15.14 seconds
1/4 mile - 19.27 seconds
this makes it the slowest petrol Sedan in the market now? At least in the segment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roms View Post
Just slipped out of my head, the FE figures claimed are 9.4 kmpl in city and 13.4 kmpl on highways.
and combined with this - the petrol is doomed.

They should have just stuck to the MJD. At least it provides better in gear acceleration than the segment, provides better quarter miles than some of the slower (Logan/Fiesta) cars in the segment and provides a decent FE. Or they should have instead given the 1.4 TJet.

On the positive side, there's always looks and loads of equipment
Old 26th February 2009, 16:57   #529
xPK
BHPian

Linea MJD and Petrol

Well.... before starting with my experience with Linea, let me tell you I don't hate FIAT, Maruti, TATA or Mahindra (even after Xylo). Neither am a Fanboy of any brands. I'm pretty a common man you can say.

Since many days I'm looking for a car. Perhaps more appropriate word is "thinking" than "looking" because of some "factors" (no prize for guessing). Currently I do have Wagon R, which is shared with my father. I rarely use it other than weekends. On the other hand my father is using it quite frequently now a days (which makes me see if the car is available for me). There comes the new car requirement. So a car for myself which also be used preferred over Wagon R for travelling out-station. So boot is kind of necessary.

So when I look for the car, what I see in one??
Performance,
Comfort,
Styling and over all look and feel,
FE,
and VFM.

for me all the constraints are equally important. I don't want to compromise absence one against excellance for others.

Performance: I won't mind cars overtaking me, but definitely want to over take more cars than overtaken by. So I'm quite ok if the car isn't really performer like vtec (I would really love to have one though, but it's quite out of my budget).

Comfort: Cannot afford D class comfort, but surely will be happy with descent comfort level.

Styling and over all look and feel: It should definitely look nice and feel nice.

FE: Around 10 in city is fine.

VFM: Strictly yes. Absolutely no compromise.

So being happy Wagon R user (and M800 earlier), if my constraints are best satisfied, I won't spend a moment to Maruti again.

After various TDs, I selected Fiesta and SX4 but always kept expecting some nice surprises from Linea (as it was yet to be launched).

Linea arrived. And I went to see and TD Linea. Well I have to say I was quite impressed by the looks and interiors. (I won't mention them specifically as those are already praised quite often in this thread) Now the question was how it performs. Only MJD was available then, so went for it. It had a decent performance. Loved the 3rd gear performance though. I kept thinking about Linea next two days though it didn't match the accelaration of Fiesta(petrol) and SX4. As Linea was the only diesel sedan I TDed, next week I went to check diesel models of Fiesta and Logan and Linea MJD immediately after them. I started inclining towards Linea, but I was more interested in Petrol.

One day while reading on T-BHP, it turned out petrols are available now. So went again for a TD. Thankfully the sales person didn't try any cranking prank on me. But yes, it is really difficult to tell if engine is running or not in idle condition. Also felt that it accelerates faster than MJD. But it doesn't sound aggressive as SX4 (which I personally like).

So now it's time for commenting Linea against my constraints.

Performance: For petrol it's an average performer when other petrol sedans are considered. But has an edge when MJD Linea is concerned. For Diesel, definitely above average than other Diesel sedans.

Comfort: Definitely above average in the segment.

Styling and over all look and feel: One of the best in segment.

FE: You can expect petrol variant to return in double digits. For MJD you already know what engine is capable of.

VFM: Very good value for money. It gives definitely more than what you have paid for.

Now the conclusion time.
If you have somewhat similar constraint, if you are looking for a car which doesn't exceed in some and fail in some, but does well for all the constraints, if budget is holding you to find a car which satisfies these constraints, (in short if you are me)
This car is for you.
Indeed if you don't mind stretching your budget by around 2 Lacks (that's quite a lot of money for a guy who recently has bought a home, recently have been married and working today with software firm [just like me ]), ANHC is the car for you.

Though A.S.S. is a problem for FIAT, it will be very unfare to rule out this car off the board.

P.S.
Some people might want to jump on me as I did not mentione Linea as "underpowered". Instead of which I'm mentioning average for petrol and above average for diesel. Please note that the comparison is between same segment petrol and same segment diesel. (please refrain comparing Linea MJD with other petrol cars)

Here are some numbers to judge whether Linea is "underpowered" or not.
The Fiat Linea test drive thread-carcomp.jpg

Please correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 26th February 2009, 21:17   #530
xPK
BHPian

Oops. water mark got on note.

So here is the note for price*, prices are in INR and of base models for with particular engine.
Old 26th February 2009, 21:58   #531
BHPian

@xpk. One of the very few logical (as opposed to Emotional [sic]) TD report I have seen on this forum. If Fiat can make Linea appeal to folks like you, which IMHO, constitutes the majority of the car buyers, then they got themselves a hit.
Interesting to note that the RPM for max power for all the diesel cars is at 4000 (Lancer the exception). No other diesel cars revs more than that?
Old 27th February 2009, 10:00   #532
xPK
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thalavoy View Post
Interesting to note that the RPM for max power for all the diesel cars is at 4000 (Lancer the exception). No other diesel cars revs more than that?
No. It's not like that. RPM in PS @ RPM is not the max RPM of the engine, but it's the RPM when max power is generated by that engine. Typically diesel engines generate maximun power in comparatively lower RPM than petrol engines.
Old 27th February 2009, 10:07   #533
Senior - BHPian

xPK, while you tabulated the power, rpm, cc etc for comparing performance, what you missed is the kerb weight. Makes a lot of difference to the power delivery, FE etc.
Old 27th February 2009, 10:31   #534
Senior - BHPian

I hope after selling descent number of Lineas, FIAT will bring "1.4 TJet" and "1.6/1.9 MJD" to scare all enthu drivers
Old 27th February 2009, 10:44   #535
BHPian

I am sure Fiat will. They, like any other manufacturers, will like to keep themselves in the news. But, IMO, they will release Linea in new colours (external) before new engines.
Old 27th February 2009, 11:31   #536
xPK
BHPian

My mistake!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
xPK, while you tabulated the power, rpm, cc etc for comparing performance, what you missed is the kerb weight.
Oops sorry for missing that. (Well.... you can clearly see I cannot make a good statistician )

But as you have mentioned, let's consider kerb weight also.

Let's see the kerb weights of all other cars,

Cars Kerb weight (in tonnes)
Fiesta 1.150
Logan 1.140
Lancer 1.150
Indigo XL 1.165
Linea 1.291

My oh my. I new Linea was heavier, but never new that much heavier. It should definitely affect the performance and FE. No doubt about that.

So let's consider weight as well and try to find out PWI (Power per Weight Index) by normalizing weights of all cars to 1 tonne.

Cars Power (PS) Kerb weight (in tonnes) PWI (PS/weight)
Fiesta 68 1.150 59.13
Verna 110 - -
Logan 65 1.140 57.02
Lancer 68 1.150 62.10
Indigo XL 70 1.165 60.10
Linea 86 1.291 66.62

So I don't think Linea is that underpowered.

NOTE: I couldn't get exact weight for Verna (but do we need those? There is no doubt that it tops the list)

NOTE: These figures are for Diesel and not for Petrol engine. As I already said (or meant) petrol engine is not impressive when compared with SX4 and Fiesta, so haven't compared petrols.
Old 27th February 2009, 12:16   #537
xPK
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoonwheels View Post
I hope after selling descent number of Lineas, FIAT will bring "1.4 TJet" and "1.6/1.9 MJD" to scare all enthu drivers
Then Linea would be a record breaking blockbuster hit.
Old 27th February 2009, 13:09   #538
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xPK
So I don't think Linea is that underpowered.
Hmm. See, while the biggest grouse I see people on tbhp hold against the Linea is 'under-powered', I personally don't know because I did not TD it. So, from my side, I will still give Linea the benefit of the doubt.

But, let us go by your TD report itself. In your first post on this thread, you say "Linea has decent performance. Loved the 3rd gear performance though". This sort of syncs with the comment of other guys who found the 1st 2 gears useless, which is not really an indicative of good power. Esp. in city traffic.

Now, when kerb weight comes into the picture, you use that data to say it is not underpowered. Maybe you should come to a conclusion yourself first.

And anyway, I am more of an FE guy than power guy. So, my reason for asking you to add kerb weight to the equation was not for you to re-evaluate your opinion on Linea's power, but about the FE you suggested -double digit FE for petrol. From a car weighing 1300kgs ? Yeah, sure.
Old 27th February 2009, 13:45   #539
Senior - BHPian

xPK - if you really want to judge performance, look at the following.
quarter mile, 0-100 for outright performance
20-80, 40-100 for city drivability
80-0,100-0 for braking

Once again 15 seconds for a petrol for 0-100 is slow. Most petrol Sedans will do it <13 seconds. Lets accept that and move on. But if you find the performance to be fine, nothing else matters - go get it.
Old 27th February 2009, 14:03   #540
Senior - BHPian

Fiat Linea Black Beauty

Black Fiat Linea.

With black tints its gonna be drool.
Attached Thumbnails
The Fiat Linea test drive thread-fiat.jpg  

The Fiat Linea test drive thread-dsc00079-medium.jpg  

The Fiat Linea test drive thread-dsc00080-medium.jpg  

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks