Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th February 2009, 23:23   #511
Senior - BHPian

Gentlemen,

While both Fiat and anti-Fiat (or 'XYZ' Fanboys vs Rest) camps surely have valid and invalid arguments, can that all be moved in to a separate thread? Let it be "no-holds-barred" mudslinging match on that thread.

This is a Linea test drive thread and let the discussion revolve around Test Drives. Give your opinion on your test drive and be done with it. Please refrain from posting if there is nothing specific to add about the car. Some guys will just love the car and some will hate it from bottom of their hearts. So be it!

Sorry for my own OFF TOPIC ranting!

P.S.: I too am tempted in jump in this heated debate, but I'll reserve it for the appropriate thread.
Old 24th February 2009, 23:23   #512
Senior - BHPian

Guys... guys... Wonder what a Nano would do to this argument!

Let's all cool off for a moment.

I am sure we are all given to our flights of fancy/fantasy - and so be it - It's an intensely personal thingy afterall!

In the ICE world there is a saying - " go by YOUR ear" .. So in this case " go by/with YOUR Rear" and decide if that is what you want! Haven't we all heard the saying " One Man's Nectar - Another's Poison" ... And either way the world will be a better place!

Personally I would love for the auto manufacturers to take us seriously - and to contribute to the growth of the business by introducing newer and better technology, and backing it up with exemplary service.

What I would like is a basic car... and OPTIONSsss! I want to be able to decide WHAT - within reasonable limits - I want in it! (esp since I am footing the bill)

Stop treating us like lesser mortals in a community soup-kitchen chowline!

Last edited by kb100 : 24th February 2009 at 23:26.
Old 24th February 2009, 23:54   #513
Senior - BHPian

OH I forgot - My comments on the subject...

I am afraid I have to agree - the 'GO' does not match the 'SHOW'! :((

Last edited by kb100 : 24th February 2009 at 23:56.
Old 25th February 2009, 00:32   #514

Quote:
Originally Posted by rippergeo View Post
Please note- this discussion still centres on how average the car is.
Just to clear your own bias, before you go out of this thread. You talking about bias from other people.

Please be logical, and analyse your statements only one by one, in a sequence. And please ask the question once again to yourself.

Fact (also from you): You have said, "The acceleration of this car is average". Agreed. You also said "the engine is quite good". Agreed. You have also said "the very justified praises for its looks/braking/ride quality"

Follow this logic: Accelarataion is part of overall performance of the car. And performance is only a part of the overall car as a package.

The conclusion: You have a bias against the car to keep on telling that the Car is average. And at the same time criticising others of having a bias.

Quote:
Simple question
Is this car Brilliant? If you think so, Why?
By the same logic, going backwards. As per your own exact words.

The car is a brilliant package.

Quote:
I wont be posting any more on this thread
You have all the rights to do that. As it also seems that you do not have any more value to add. Please do the thread a favour.

This thread, I am 200% sure, will serve its purpose extremely well to the readers who come out on Team-BHP to seek actual test drive reports or initial ownership reports.
Old 25th February 2009, 00:53   #515
Senior - BHPian

I second the suggestion

Quote:
Originally Posted by psp62in View Post
Nearly 500 posts on this thread so far, and last 60 or so have very little to say about the test drive. At one point I thought i was wasting my time trying to look for some real useful information.
Mods, I think time has come to split this thread into three:
a) Linea -diesel test and comparison with others
b)Linea -petrol test and comparison with others
c) All other love-hate discussion about FIAT, and you can have hundreds of posts in that.
Please consider

I agree wholeheartedly. One has to wade through a lot of irrelevant and unconnected matter like business tie-ups, A.S.S., predictions of success/failure etc. to get through to the 'meat' of the thread i.e. the driving impressions and test drive reports.

Cheers,
Old 25th February 2009, 08:40   #516
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
Is that what we should expect from a distinguished member? And if this is what you think, can you also give us a reason why this is happening with every Fiat owner on the forum? Again isnt it convenient?
Did it ever occur to you that he might be a Distinguished bhpian because of his unbiased view of all things on wheels through all these years in his 5K+ postings.That is what separates a Fanboy from a Bhpian.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pawan Singh View Post
Just to clear your own bias, before you go out of this thread. You talking about bias from other people.
Please be logical, and analyze your statements only one by one, in a sequence. And please ask the question once again to yourself.
Fact (also from you): You have said, "The acceleration of this car is average". Agreed. You also said "the engine is quite good". Agreed. You have also said "the very justified praises for its looks/braking/ride quality"
Follow this logic: Acceleration is part of overall performance of the car. And performance is only a part of the overall car as a package.
The conclusion: You have a bias against the car to keep on telling that the Car is average. And at the same time criticizing others of having a bias.
By the same logic, going backwards. As per your own exact words.
That my friend is what we called an unbiased statement, calling a spade a spade and some people can't simply handle the truth, yes the acceleration is poor in this engine but the same engine is a very brilliant piece of machinery in other cars it is being used.Those are not contradictory statements those are the facts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
IMO, the T-FAL (Tata-Fiat Auto Ltd) marriage will probably not last for long.
Destiny is a strange thing!
Disclaimer: Kindly excuse, this is a completely personal opinion!
Trouble has already started brewing in Tata-Fiat Marriage, Tata Fiat guys are having a row over Tata not wanting to give the Palio a Minor Model Change and Fiat wanting it desperately, currently the production of the Palio is very very negligible.
Old 25th February 2009, 09:28   #517
BHPian

So the argument continues!

I for once have been lurking on this thread the last couple of days without a single post, since there was nothing constructive from most of the message’s except for the odd Linea TD done by a few members

Frankly thought this thread was about the Fiat linea test drive not about the pros and cons of the car itself. I am sorry to see that the thread has taken a whole new twist.

I have taken both a test drive of both the Linea petrol and diesel. I have put up as detailed a report as possible on this thread. I fail to understand why, members are bickering about their views. I have learnt a great deal about other members test drives as well, had exchanged a few PM’s with other members who have booked Linea’s.

Guys, sorry but this has become quite a immature debate, senior distinguished and newbie’s alike are becoming increasingly passionate about their views. I can’t contain myself from seething with anger at everyone who has been defensive or offensive instead of contributing towards the topic of this thread.

Frankly this whole time I thought this thread was about the Car and its TD. But suddenly I see “Fiat Fanboys”, and insistent remarks, whatever that is? Unless someone is putting their 2 paisa onto this thread about their personal TD, that reply is crap and worthless.

OH @anupmathur
Sir, this is not a thread about betting on the survival of Fiat in India, this thread is purely about the Test Drive of the newly released Linea.

@muneemmk
If I am not wrong, Steeriod has been accorded with the title "Distinguished bhpian" for a certain achievement(sorry not aware of that). It has nothing to do with biased/unbiased views or reviews.

@MODS
Excuse me for for the outburst, I do not have the time or the patience like all my other senior and distinguished friends to type a couple of hundred posts and defending their views.

Unless someone posts a TD, this thread is worthless for the members.

Last edited by downsouth : 25th February 2009 at 09:31. Reason: Typo's
Old 25th February 2009, 10:44   #518
Senior - BHPian

Folks!

We have 38548 members at this very moment. Let us not have another 38k odd posts all restating what should or shouldn't have been posted ! Indignation aside, I think the point has been made!!

LEAVE THE THREAD FOR TDs - and the rest of us do not have to agree or disagree with anything in it!!

Last edited by kb100 : 25th February 2009 at 10:47.
Old 25th February 2009, 15:30   #519
Senior - BHPian

No new TD's by anyone- petrol/diesel?
I have seen few Lineas but all in Red. Seems people are not buying any otehr color.
Old 25th February 2009, 17:04   #520
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
No new TD's by anyone- petrol/diesel?
I have seen few Lineas but all in Red. Seems people are not buying any otehr color.
Fiat dealers have been trying to really push their Flaminco Red colour. Seems something to do with their, logo colour. The logo colour is actually deeper and rich shade than the colour on the car.

In fact the Linea in Flaminco Red is easily available atleast in Hyderabad.
Old 26th February 2009, 11:46   #521
BHPian

For those interested in the 0-100 timings for the Linea Petrol :-

ACI has clocked the following figures,

0-60 - 6.21 seconds
0-100 - 15.14 seconds
1/4 mile - 19.27 seconds

Cant remember the in gear times, but they are modest to say the least. Further, they mention the following points :-

- The 1.4 motor is gutless at low end but the all aluminium engine is rev-happy,
- It has decent overtaking ability on the highways
- The road manners of the petrol Linea are fantastic and the ride - handling package is peerless.
- The engine is smooth and has a raspy note to it, while it is very refined at idle.
- The gearbox needs to worked hard to extract the best out of this motor, hampering drivability
- The gearing is short, hence the car is an average cruiser, the tacho needle hovers around 3400 rpm @ 100 km/h.

So, both the petrol and diesel clock similar timings for 0-100 of roughly 15 odd seconds, which is lethargic.

Last edited by roms : 26th February 2009 at 12:01.
Old 26th February 2009, 11:55   #522
Senior - BHPian

I have tested both Petrol and Diesel one after another.
Definitely Petrol is way ahead of Diesel in power.
Very Linear acceleration and good mid range.Engine is very silent.
I have taken the car for a big spin.very comfortable with 5 members on board and AC on.
Yes,Steering in Linea Petrol is very light compared to Diesel.
For City and Highway driving,Linea Petrol never let down us.
But i booked Diesel only as i used to travel to native 1200KMS often.
Old 26th February 2009, 12:01   #523
BANNED

AFAIK, ACI did their tests in 2008. Later before launch, the engine was detuned. Not sure if ACI tested after launch (with detuned engine).
Quote:
Originally Posted by roms View Post
For those interested in the 0-100 timings for the Linea Petrol :-

ACI has clocked the following figures,

0-60 - 6.21 seconds
0-100 - 15.14 seconds
1/4 mile - 19.27 seconds
Old 26th February 2009, 12:17   #524
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabloo View Post
AFAIK, ACI did their tests in 2008. Later before launch, the engine was detuned. Not sure if ACI tested after launch (with detuned engine).
This data is from the March '09 issue of ACI where they've tested the Linea Petrol.
Old 26th February 2009, 12:24   #525
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabloo View Post
To answer your question, the official answer from Fiat India's CEO corner to me is that ACI tested the same engine as what we are testing now, i.e., the detuned engine, even the diesel one when it tested in 2008.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks