Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th April 2009, 23:30   #811
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anachronix View Post
A Question to Linea owners here!

Today I spotted a Linea here in Chennai (TN-21 Regd) Linea in Flamenco Red. It had alloys on it... so, I guess it must be the Emotion+.

The car looked like its being abused by the owner with scratches almost all around the car and it was looking quite dirty as well. The important bit that took my attention was the chrome beeding around the windows had some part of the chrome peeled off with the base plastic parts seen. I was not sure if its because of the abuse the owner is getting the car through!

Did any of you guys see any of the chroming peeling off from the window beeding/anywhere from the car!?

I am in process of booking the Linea and the Linea I spotted today has given me nightmares seeing the way the beauty was maintained & seeing the basic chrome stuff damaged!

Hi,

You said it yourself "The car looked like its being abused by the owner". No piece of machinery will give good service or last long if it is abused.

With scratches all around as you say - the chrome too must have been damaged.

Just curious - are you sure it was not just dirt and grime from a real long drive on rural roads that you saw and mistook for scratches? For a car that is barely a few weeks old the amount of damage you mention seems to be too much. Of course, the car might have been used for testing some grinders, abrasives or power tools!

Cheers,
Old 16th April 2009, 23:57   #812
BANNED

So, the legendary Fiat build quality is disappearing or what?
Ahshahid's incident points to it.

initially, when compared to many other cars sold in India, Linea was supposed to be a benchmark in build quality and finish. I think it is so due to the heaviness. But parts falling off etc... isn't a good thing.
Some more weeks into the ownership experiences will tell us more.
Old 17th April 2009, 02:27   #813
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anachronix View Post
A Question to Linea owners here!

Today I spotted a Linea here in Chennai (TN-21 Regd) Linea in Flamenco Red. It had alloys on it... so, I guess it must be the Emotion+.

The car looked like its being abused by the owner with scratches almost all around the car and it was looking quite dirty as well. The important bit that took my attention was the chrome beeding around the windows had some part of the chrome peeled off with the base plastic parts seen. I was not sure if its because of the abuse the owner is getting the car through!

Did any of you guys see any of the chroming peeling off from the window beeding/anywhere from the car!?

I am in process of booking the Linea and the Linea I spotted today has given me nightmares seeing the way the beauty was maintained & seeing the basic chrome stuff damaged!

Yup, good observation .. the chrome bidding around the windows is glued poorly, On the second day of ownership, i had a bit from the rear qtr glass come off in my hand. I've stored in the glove box, i'll get her fixed when im back to the garage.

But on the whole, shes good and the paint and other fittings are fine. The glue on the bidding needs to be fixed surely.

Maz
Old 17th April 2009, 02:42   #814
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedzak View Post

initially, when compared to many other cars sold in India, Linea was supposed to be a benchmark in build quality and finish. I think it is so due to the heaviness. But parts falling off etc... isn't a good thing.
Hey Zak,
it's a very good car, I'm a proud owner, but heck if anyone told you the plastics were benchmark worthy...he was off the mark.
They actually are quite poor, and i hope fiat gets it right sooner rather than later. The chrome bidding did come off on day 2. Apparently the hood release hatch tends to break, so i was advised to operate it carefully, the rear armrest is a joke, it creaks. The fuse box clips are poor ... i see them coming apart in the next 3 - 6 weeks of owner ship.

But, if you ask me, am i satisfied ... ho hum .... i'd say YEAH, lots of stuff that i didn't think about, especially the suspension, corner manners .... that, i tell you from experience of driving a C class Mercedes, is the same if not better.
Also , that little motor with a really advanced turbo, hauls 1.3 tons of metal without a sweat is amazing. My running costs have halved from the accent 1.6 i used to drive.

just, if you dont mind me asking ... were you ever considering the Linea ?
Old 17th April 2009, 09:58   #815

Quote:
Originally Posted by downsouth View Post
I pity you man, have you ever heard "Please read the manual before opreating"?

BTW the clumsily hidden circuit is your Linea's ECU please dont ignore and start fooling around with it. I still cant help myself ROTFL.
Sure have fun at my expense :-). Actually I did not think that just opening boxes ( apparently) required reading the manuals ! But ofcourse I stand corrected.
ROTFL . Now this abbreviation I have still not come across though in software since last 12 years. what is it?
Old 17th April 2009, 10:14   #816
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazherr View Post
just, if you dont mind me asking ... were you ever considering the Linea ?
Zak ever considering a FIAT! Well....

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahshahid View Post
ROTFL . Now this abbreviation I have still not come across though in software since last 12 years. what is it?
Rolling On The Floor Laughing. A simple case of googling it, i must say.

Last edited by SkyWalker : 17th April 2009 at 10:17.
Old 17th April 2009, 10:18   #817
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Rolling on the floor laughing.

ROFL is the more oft used acronym.
Old 17th April 2009, 11:42   #818
BHPian

Quote:
Sure have fun at my expense :-). Actually I did not think that just opening boxes ( apparently) required reading the manuals ! But ofcourse I stand corrected.
Ahshahid, No Hard feelings I have seen that panel being removed on my Linea a couple of times, it comes out real easy.
Old 17th April 2009, 16:26   #819
BHPian

Fiat Linea 'Dynamic' short spin impressions.

At the risk of repeating, here's my driving impression (not a TD report) of the Linea Multijet. I drove the one with 'Dynamic' label.

First, a bit about me - I'm no hard core Car tester, neither do I know much technicalities of a car. I'm just one more enthusiast.

I regularly drive these cars presently - My Getz 1.1 and some of my friends cars which include Ford Fiesta Diesel, Ford Fiesta Petrol, Indigo CS TDi, Indica Xeta, Indica Turbo, Honda City AT, Honda Civic Manual (don't know the trim), Maruti 800, Maruti Swift Petrol & Diesel, Chevy Tavera (if I can call it a Car).

So, much of the impressions are influenced by living around with these cars.

Coming to the topic:

Looks: Gorgeous Italian lines! How true is the Linea TVC jingle - 'Coz I'm stuck, at the sight of you..'.. I don't want a TD. I just want to book it, buy it, possess it!
Stars: Full 10/10.

Engine:

Me: Yeh kitna horse power ka hai?
Rep: Sir, 86.
Me: Turbo Charged hai na?
Rep: Nahi Sir Turbo nahi, CRDi hai!
Me: Ok!

(I gave the rep a chance to malpractice as well since he was sitting with a brochure in his hand and could have easily looked into it and said that it was a VGT, but he chose to answer honestly without knowing)

Tries its best to prove that it has poke. I say, well tried!
Gearshift is nothing to drool about, does its job, that's it. The NVH was bad, I did hear all the racket of the Multijet inside the cabin even with all the windows rolled up.

Performance:
This shouldn't be required as many know about it. But, here's my say, adequate power for the city (Because, I'll be using these lines for my Getz 1.1 as well ). But, I'll still say underpowered. All show, thoda hi Go.
Stars: 6/10.

Handling:
Couldn't test it on any fast curves, but with the couple of fast U turns, I feel that it's handling is decent. The steering has good feedback.
Stars: NA

Ride/Comfort/Suspension:
As I said, it was just a spin rather than a full blown TD, I didn't take it over different avatars of Terra Firma. So comments reserved.
Stars: NA

Build Quality/Interiors/Space:
If we can judge the build quality by listening to the sound when one closes the door, and if the benchmark for that is a 'thud', the Linea gave me a 'clank'.
A few days back, I saw a 1999-2000 model Siena, it still closes with a 'thud'.
Stars: 6/10

In my most humblest form I'll call the interiors Ok. Nothing in the interior felt like it's a FIAT, I almost felt I'm driving a camouflaged TATA vehicle. No offence meant to anyone, but that was how I felt. The quality of plastics is Ok (ah... pains).
The front passenger/driver area is sufficiently roomy. The rear has also decent legroom. But, going by the exterior size, I expected it to be more roomier than what it is.
Stars: 5.0/10 for plastics
6.5 for interior space.

Price: Approx 8.5L in Hubli/Belgaum, Karnataka. Decent VFM.

Will I buy it? If I had the moolah, and if FIAT weren't giving any TDs, I was sold for it purely on its looks. With this short spin I've taken, the grapes are sour!

Last edited by five46 : 17th April 2009 at 16:35.
Old 17th April 2009, 17:30   #820
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by five46 View Post

Engine:

Me: Yeh kitna horse power ka hai?
Rep: Sir, 86.
Me: Turbo Charged hai na?
Rep: Nahi Sir Turbo nahi, CRDi hai!
Me: Ok!
HA HA HA

Sales Rep TATA Buy Buy .....

Thanks for that, i'd like to say, even as a Linea owner, that it was brutal but honest.

Just asking, when you compaired the interior to TATA in disguise ... you did drive the Dynamic with the knobs and stuff right ?
Did you get a chance to look at, sit in the Emotion trim ? that's pretty fresh inside, IMHO
Old 17th April 2009, 18:05   #821
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedzak View Post

I think legendary Fiat build quality is intact, I saw the same thing on my car which is not cleaned since past 3 days, if you look at the window chrome lining it looks as if chrome has been chipped off and below plastic is showing, going near you realise it is just dirt and water that was not cleared up immediately with a dry cloth during the previous wash.

What anachronix might have see would be that i am pretty sure, then again if someone scratched the car from everywhere, who knows !

Cheers!
Old 18th April 2009, 15:30   #822
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazherr View Post
Did you get a chance to look at, sit in the Emotion trim ?
No, I did not. The representative had come to Belgaum from Hubli (approx 100km). He comes once in a week with the Linea and that's when we get the TD.
Old 18th April 2009, 18:22   #823
BANNED

@Five46,
Very good, honest review there.
Your wording were accurate, straight from the heart. Loved reading all of it.

Beauty? Well not to all.
Old 19th April 2009, 23:00   #824
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyWalker
Zak ever considering a FIAT! Well....
Forget Zak. I know people (on tbhp) who waxed eloquently about the Linea, but when it came to their own purchase decision, settled for the "over priced, no alloys, no frills" Honda City.
Old 18th May 2009, 14:31   #825
Senior - BHPian

Seems new colours coming this july. The light blue and a dark blue too. Wish i could have waited!!.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks