Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 4th November 2009, 18:26   #631
BHPian

All the more reason for you to sponsor my ICE upgrade!! hehe, just kidding!!

absolutely agree 100% with all you said about coming together for a cause!! at the end of the day, nothing else feels more great than making a difference in people's lives!!
Old 4th November 2009, 19:16   #632
BHPian

Quote:
Team-Bhp is a good banner for social causes. Public should know we are not a bunch of engine-wengine freaks but a group that stands for many good things.
Good Idea! In fact this morning I met up an environmentalist + Journalist with another colleague regarding some environmental CSR initiatives. During our drive to a project site,I was busy explaining all about my new car and t-bhp to my collegue which the other guy was listening in mute. After a while he reacts telling that he is shocked to know that people are so crazy behind cars while they harm our environment so much. He infact went to the extent of mentioning that he will write an article in his journal about my conversation with the colleague! Little does he know that I do care for the environment in my own way and that I am one of the Sustainability ambassadors of my company.
We t-bhpians should meet up for a good cause and show to the public the we know more than just cars!
Old 4th November 2009, 19:25   #633
Senior - BHPian

We should have this subject for discussion in the next meet, probably mid of November, which Raamki was suggesting me a month back itself. I am IN for any such public related activities, only thing is, it should be planned well, however small we think as introduction of such things. In a city, we never run out of social causes. Once we have some idea on something specific, it could be explained to the seniors of our forum, then take it forward with a full swing participation.

It might be totally offtopic here, let it remain that way until we have something concrete to start a thread on it.
Old 4th November 2009, 21:12   #634
ABZ
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raju_kb98 View Post
I am facing a problem with the Ford Fiesta running with AC on: The windscreen fogs up in places when the atmosphere is humid. The fog is on the outside of the windscreen and the only solution I have found is to periodically run the wipers.
I never face this problem on my Santro though. Has anyone experienced this on their Fiesta and found any solution?
I faced the same a couple of times when in Nashik. You're right the fog was on the outside (a kind of band towards the lower 1/5th of the windshield) and running the wipers periodically was the solution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
It happens on the inside windscreen when its raining heavy, which goes off when AC is put ON. What you find right now is the opposite, which should be alright controlling on the AC knob itself, varying the level. Any specific time you find it more often ? (like early morning or late nite etc).
I noticed that the couple of times it happened it was around 8:00 pm and most of the cars had dew on their roofs as well due to the humidity.

I tried a few options with the AC settings and it seemed to disappear when the cooling was set to max and the direction of the vents was set towards the windshield but this does not make sense to me still hence am not sure if it was what worked.

I have not to see it again since I came back to Pune but if it is a regular occurance for you (raju), you could try a few different settings and let us all know what worked.

Last edited by ABZ : 4th November 2009 at 21:14.
Old 4th November 2009, 21:25   #635

No it is not a regular occurance, at least not in Bangalore. Happened all the time when I had driven down to Kerala for a few days. I guess it is to do with the humidity in the air. Tried different AC settings but nothing worked. The foggy spot was kind of in the middle of the windshield, so it was a pain. The only solution other than the wipers was to roll the windows down and switch off the AC.
Old 9th November 2009, 16:45   #636
Senior - BHPian

Another 1200 kms done !

Atlast the long awaited trip is complete ! It was a combination of NH7, NH47 and MC Road in Kerala, a distance of 580 km one side, total running time 12 hours excluding couple of breaks for short eats, lunch etc. Upward trip on 5th November and return on 8th November. Few details that might be helpful to others:

1) Fiesta can do 160 kmph on highways without any struggle. Anything over that, steering has a slight pulsating vibration, which is not a thing to worry nor complain. Steering also becomes lighter at 140 kmph+.
2) Breaks with ABS does a fantastic job without any concern for fear, including the performance on a totally wet road.
3) Road noise and engine noise is almost silent upto 120 kmph.
4) Long drive comfort is at par, there is nothing I can complain on.
5) Boot space is really commentable. I have a 12" subwoofer, thin amplifier and a large sized bag (contains vehicle related things, towels, emergency lamp, tools, floor rubber mat for tire change) and a Jopasu duster permanently in the boot. I could carry 2 large size bags, 2 back packs, 5 ltr water bottle and couple of small carry bags. On return trip it was added with 5 kgs of banana, Pineapples, Tapiocca and another half dozen vegetables from mum's house. The boot door hinge is a bit inconvenience with a fully occupied boot, it will not close if the hinge path is not clear, so bit of luggage adjustment will solve that issue.

I was really fearing the sub woofer cone would break off and vegetables enter that enclosure and feel comfortable with the DINCHAK ! But a small piece of thermocol infront of the sub box saved my day. I need the grill protection before the next drive.

6) Plenty of small things can go under the seats too. Bigger things should be placed under the front seats opening the back doors, the seat adjustment lever will prevent keeping things from the front, also protect things from rolling to the front.

7) Overall mileage is 13 kmpl approximate, which is not yet finally calculated until the next full tank fill. 'Auto cut-off' is a word unknown to all 3 stations I visited on highway, therefore accurate mileage calculation is possible only at the next city fill.

Total distance done: 1200 kms
Total Petrol consumed: 90 ltrs (approximate)
Total Toll Plazas : 5 (Bangalore-Salem-Coimbatore-Palaghat)
Total amount paid at Tolls: Rs.172 (one side)
Best stretch in the root: Mathukarai to Neelambur (Coimbatore L&T toll road). Speed of 160 kmph without strain.
Second best stretch: CMU-Krishnagiri Toll route. Speed of 160 kmph is an easy target.
Worst route: Salem to Coimbatore (a road that ends at Sankari), its a deviation due to road widening. There are 4 or 5 flyover works in progress and the deviations are in very bad shape, in our return trip it was filled with muck due to heavy rains.

Most surprising moment on highway: A Maruti Omni overtaking and vanishing infront of me while I was doing 120 kmph. I never bothered to catch up with anyone who passed me. We have ABS and EBD for an immediate breaking, what about Omni at the speed of 130 or 140 ?

Most funny moment in the whole trip: An Indica cab overtaking a black scorpio at the speed of 120 kmph or more and irritating the scorpio driver in such a way, they were overtaking each other for another 20 mts until the Krishnagiri-Thoppur toll road ended.

Most shocking moment on highway: There is a speed breaker on coimbatore - Salem route where toll booths are under construction. Its very huge and without any uniform shape. Fiesta went over dead slow but scraped the bottom with a shaking thud, one moment I thought the centre bottom of the car will get pivoted on the hump and the vehicle would act like a seesaw. Luckily nothing happend.

Most worrying situation: Somewhere on the highway the car was doing 120 kmph and I remember downshifting from 5th to 4th. I felt something different in the engine noise and also heard the reverse beep, till now I am confused if the car had gone to Reverse gear. Some english old classics were played at that time, so I am still in confusion if that noise was from the music or from the reverse beeper. Mum (sitting back) confirmed it was reverse beep. So, experts, is there any chance the 5th to 4th can go to reverse by mistake ? If so, what happens to a car that is doing 120 kmph ?

Biggest mistake: It was raining throughout my return trip (started at 6.30am), heavy rain between Coimbatore - Salem stretch. The car got 2 or 3 layers of muck enroute, which I didnt realise. By the time I reached Krishnagiri it was getting dark (around 6pm). Members here know my head lights were upgraded to 100/80, but somehow I found the lights were very poor and I was struggling to find my road after a while. My drive after Hosur became a real painful situation, because I was struggling to see the road in the rain and drizzle and high beams that come from vehicles behind. I dont know how I reached home. I was driving non-stop from 4.30pm until parking within our compound at 7.30pm. Stepping out of the car, I was shocked to see the outer body, it was like a Chillli Bajji, fully coated in mud all around. Back lights and front lights are not even seen. How I wished, I could have cleaned the head light and rear light areas with a wet cloth after Krishnagiri. My night drive would have been a pleasant surprise !!!

I hope I have covered everything of my trip related to the Fiesta. I had to do the complete drive myself, because our 7 month old younger one kept my wifee very busy throughout.

Breakfast stop after Dharmapuri (upward travel, we carried breakfast).
Ford Fiesta 1.6 ZXI: Upgraded ICE, Tires, Lights & now Seats-1.jpg

Last edited by shajufx : 9th November 2009 at 16:53.
shajufx is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th November 2009, 17:07   #637
Senior - BHPian

Nice write up.

Remember, I told you about the rain but it cought you while returning?
(Unfortunately, this side of kerala, not much of rain so far)

Reverse gear beep - some technical experts can explain about professionaly. (may be when you shifted from 5th to 4th, the reverse system sensed and assumed that it is their turn and sent the signals -result short beeps?)

Finally - probably you got re-imbursed the expenses by way of bringing lot of Banana/pineapples/tapiocca/vegetable etc from your home (tharavadu)
Thanks
Old 9th November 2009, 17:38   #638
Senior - BHPian

Shaju, sounds like you had a great trip! This thing below is a bit worrying.

Quote:
Steering also becomes lighter at 140 kmph+.
Old 9th November 2009, 17:48   #639
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nairrk View Post
Remember, I told you about the rain but it cought you while returning?.........Finally - probably you got re-imbursed the expenses by way of bringing lot of Banana/pineapples/tapiocca/vegetable etc from your home (tharavadu) Thanks
Yes, I remember your forecast, it was only very light drizzle we faced towards the end of our upward trip. But return it was rain or drizzle right from the start to finish, non-stop.

Now the reimbursement part: Mum wanted to carry another 20/30 coconuts too . I explained her, the subwoofer in the boot costed me Rs.5500 (excluding the box), our usage of coconut is only 4 or 5 in a month. So, thats a maximum of 60 per year, which is less than Rs.600 in Bangalore. Should we risk 5500 for a mere saving of 200 or 300 ? Somehow she cancelled the coconut transportation.

Quote:
This thing below is a bit worrying.
True Gilead, steering is supposed to be rock solid at high speeds, somehow its not what I experienced.

Last edited by shajufx : 9th November 2009 at 17:51.
Old 9th November 2009, 18:07   #640
BHPian

great write up Shaju, how did your 7month handle the trip.
I am thinking of a drive to Mumbai during decemeber, my son would be 1 by then,just wondering if its feasible or not.
I would be the only driver and would plan to do a stop over instead of a straight stretch.
Old 9th November 2009, 18:11   #641
BHPian

Nice write up there.
Quote:
So, experts, is there any chance the 5th to 4th can go to reverse by mistake ? If so, what happens to a car that is doing 120 kmph ?
AFAIK, this can never happen. You cannot shift from fifth to reverse. The only possiblity IMO is that the reverse parking sensor got some wrong signals and hence gave that beep.
Quote:
Worst route: Salem to Coimbatore (a road that ends at Sankari),
Thats ture, this stretch is very bad. I generally take a right at Thoppur towards Mettur and then Proceed to Bhavani and join the coimbatore highway right after Bhavani. This will avoid the stretch under construction.

Last edited by JackTheCrack : 9th November 2009 at 18:14.
Old 9th November 2009, 18:13   #642
BHPian

Good to see that you are happy with the car's performance. More long drives on the card!!

Quote:
6) Plenty of small things can go under the seats too. Bigger things should be placed under the front seats opening the back doors, the seat adjustment lever will prevent keeping things from the front, also protect things from rolling to the front.
Just a word of caution, it is not advised to have something under the driver's seat. There are chances that it can roll/slide towards the foot well. You really don't want to have a something solid right under your brake pedal!!
Old 9th November 2009, 18:30   #643
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by unni.ak View Post
it is not advised to have something under the driver's seat. There are chances that it can roll/slide towards the foot well. You really don't want to have a something solid right under your brake pedal!!
Unni, its good that you posted now, I was about to post a 'Thank You' note here, the SMS tips and timely checks what you have done in our trip was really appreciated. As you hinted, the private bus drivers enroute are real pain on the wrong side, specially the ones who come on your track in full speed without any indication.

Things what I meant under the seats are not tiny stuff that can roll. Anyway driver's seat was kept empty in my trip, other side had 2 big clay pots bought from kerala for making fish curry, totally wrapped in a big bath tower for protection. If you keep a medium size jackfruit under driver's seat, it can never come front through the seat adjustment lever and the upward body mould on the floor under the seat. I think of it this way: what you can not push under the seat from the front can not roll to the front.
Old 9th November 2009, 19:29   #644
BHPian

The more I read about test drive, long drives its makes more annoying for me to wait till Feb'10 to buy this beast beauty.

Great write up, I really like the way you fiesta owners write smallest of thing in your reviews.
Old 9th November 2009, 20:13   #645
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yajaman99 View Post
how did your 7month handle the trip
She enjoyed the best ! What more a breast-fed infant can get than sitting on the lap of its mother for 12 hours non-stop ? Hope she doesnt expect such trips every week !

Quote:
I am thinking of a drive to Mumbai during decemeber, my son would be 1 by then,just wondering if its feasible or not. I would be the only driver and would plan to do a stop over instead of a straight stretch.
Let me know your date and plan, I have a Bangalore-Goa-Mumbai or Bangalore-Mumbai-Goa trip probably between December 20th to 24th and returning just before the New Year ! One stretch attempt might be very tiring self-driven, so a stop-over at Belgaum could be a wise idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackTheCrack View Post
You cannot shift from fifth to reverse. The only possiblity IMO is that the reverse parking sensor got some wrong signals and hence gave that beep. Thats ture, this stretch is very bad. I generally take a right at Thoppur towards Mettur and then Proceed to Bhavani and join the coimbatore highway right after Bhavani. This will avoid the stretch under construction.
I hope and believe it was a reverse sensor mistake. I had done the Thoppur - Bhavani route 2 years back, but the route goes through many villages and we have to be very careful about carts, stray goats, cows, crossing villlagers, tractors etc. So, this time I planned to stick to the highway. I think NH7 and NH47 will save a lot of time and add driving pleasure once the road-widening and flyovers are complete in few months time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBeastFieast View Post
The more I read about test drive, long drives its makes more annoying for me to wait till Feb'10 to buy this beast beauty.
Respecting your personal reasons for the delay, you will change your perspective towards city roads and highways once you are on the Fiesta driver's seat ! I would not have dared to think about a 1200 km trip if Fiesta was not such a beauty to own and drive.

Last edited by shajufx : 9th November 2009 at 20:15.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks