Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st April 2020, 22:25   #616
BHPian

Re: Hyundai i10 : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Hi all, I need to replace the Tyres of my i10. Just had a query. Is there any significant difference in the fuel economy if I upgrade the Tyre from 155 to 175?
Also which brand should I go for?
Thanks.
Old 21st April 2020, 23:26   #617
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahil624 View Post
Hi all, I need to replace the Tyres of my i10. Just had a query. Is there any significant difference in the fuel economy if I upgrade the Tyre from 155 to 175?
Also which brand should I go for?
Thanks.
I have the 185/60 R14 in Nexen but I have it with 14" after market alloys. Ride comfort is really good.

Last edited by hareshjethwani : 21st April 2020 at 23:29.
hareshjethwani is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2020, 13:03   #618
BHPian

Disclaimer:
This is going to be a lengthy post and please excuse me in case of any mistakes.

Thanks to:
Thanks to Blackasta, RSR, sbiswas for the details they have shared in this thread, which were helpful, in deciding the correct tyre size.

Prelude:
Tyres and brakes are the most critical parts of a car. A properly sized tyre in a car provides better grip, handling and braking.
It also increases the looks and stance of a car.

But, most of the manufacturers in Indian car market provide undersized tyres as stock spec.
One such car is Hyundai i10, which begs for a tyre upgrade. Even our official Team BHP reviews also suggested that, a tyre upgrade is much essential for i10.

The topic:
I have already upgraded my wheels and tyres in 2017. (was not a Team BHP member then)
So thought to share my experience and contribute to this thread now.
Hope this post helps, if someone is looking for an upgrade.

The background:
After my marriage in 2016, our highway runs increased, thanks to hometown visits and long drives.
So by 2017, the i10 had clocked significant number of KMs on ODO.
With no ABS and airbags, I felt at least a tyre upgrade is much needed as a safety aspect, for better grip and braking.

These were the criteria:
YES for: Better ride, grip, braking and looks
OK with: Marginal drop in fuel efficiency
Not OK with: Bad FE, worst ride, tyres sticking out
Strict NO for: Anything which might create problems related to suspension and stability

The search period:
Plan 1:
To keep the existing OEM 13inch rims and to upgrade only the tyres with 175/70 R13 size.
But many suggested that, the OEM R13 rims are not suitable for 175 sections and the sidewalls might bulge. So this plan was discarded.

Plan 2:
Upgrade to alloy and new tyres with one size up. The best suitable size was 185/60-R14 as per this thread.
The search for the alloys began. But I couldn't find the alloys of my taste, since the collection in 14inch category were less.
So the complete plan was on hold.

Twist in the tale: (Here comes plan 3)
During June 2017, my friend told me that, his colleague had a set of 4 Elite i20 magna's 14 inch steel rims and caps, from his 1 month old car.
(He had replaced them with alloys at the time of car delivery, and the steel rims had hardly run 50 kms)
So, he asked me to check if it fits my i10 and to use it until I find my choice of alloys.

I knew that the i20 14inch rims will fit like a glove on i10.
So I went ahead and bought the rims immediately. The owner being my friend's colleague, sold the rims at a very minimal price.

The D day: July 2017
Went straight to Sai Iyengar Tyres, Indiranagar for the tyres. (Had short listed this shop long back after multiple researches)
My choice of tyres were Yokohama Earth 1 and Michelin XM2 in 185/60-R14 size. Both were in stock.
Based on my usage and budget, the store in charge Keerthi and Ashwin, suggested me the Yokohama.

Here are the details:
Tyre Brand: Yokohama Earth 1
Tyre manufactured on: April 2017
Date of purchase: 27 July 2017
Size: 185/60-R14
Wheels: Steel rims (from Elite i20- 14 inch 5.5j)
Spare wheel: OEM 13inch with 155/80-R13 tyres
ODO when old Apollo tyres were replaced: 39,500 KMs
Current ODO after Yoko's installation: 86,200 KMs

Price split: (as on purchase date)
Quoted Price: 18,400/- (4600 for each tyre)
Discount: 800/- (200 rupees discount per tyre)
Fitting charges: Free
Valves, Alignment, Balancing: Free
Total price: 17,600/-

Observations based on 45k kms usage:
Braking: Braking is more confidence inspiring now

Fuel Efficiency: Reduced by approx, 0.5-1km/litre (I'm fine with this)

Handling: Much better than OEM tyres

Comfort: Almost similar to earlier tyre
(But gets slightly noisy and harsh on rough roads, due to less side wall height. Michelin would have been better in here with its smooth ride)

Steering feel while driving: Helps to feel the road better

Looks: It has changed the complete stance of the car and car looks much better now

Punctures: 2 punctures till date on same tyre, because of nails from construction area near home

Road noise: Road noise was more evident for first 5000 kms, if driven with windows rolled down.

Usage pattern: The car sees 50% of highways, 30% of Bangalore traffic and 20% of sub urban and rough-farm roads.

Current Status: The Yokohama tyres have already run 46k+ kms and are good to go for another 10k kms easily.
And will switch to alloys during next tyre change in same size.

Issues:
(No major aspects/issues to be worried about)
* Ride becomes slightly harsh on rough roads.
* If driven at fast pace on rough patches and speed breakers, the thuds and bumps are passed on to cabin and the passengers. So it’s better to slow down.
* During the first 5,000 kms running, at some instances while making a U turn, the front tyres used to brush the mud flaps slightly.
(The issue is nonexistent as of now. If anyone is worried about this in their car, can opt to remove the front mud flaps)

My verdict:
Tyre upgrade is 100% recommended. The 185/60-R14 is a perfect upgrade for i10.
The feel, braking and grip the upgraded tyres provide, is miles ahead of the skinny OEM spec tyres.
And the looks and stance it provides is an added bonus.

Next plan:
To replace the steel rims with alloys of same size.

Now, let the pictures do some talking:

The i20 steel rims with caps:
Hyundai i10 : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-01-i20-rims.jpg

The old Apollo vs new Yokohama Earth 1s:
Hyundai i10 : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-02.jpg

New tyre being mounted onto the rim:
Hyundai i10 : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-03-mounting.jpg

All wheels fitted:
Hyundai i10 : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-04-done.jpg

Alignment in progress:
Hyundai i10 : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-05-align.jpg

Final look of rims,caps and tyres:
Hyundai i10 : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-06-full.jpg

Skinny Apollo tyre vs Meaty Yokos:
Hyundai i10 : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-11-front-tyre.jpg

Front view: Before and After:
Hyundai i10 : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-12-front.jpg

Rear: Before and After:
Hyundai i10 : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-13-back.jpg

Side profile: Before and After:
Hyundai i10 : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-14-sides.jpg

Side profile: Before and After:
Hyundai i10 : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-15-cross.jpg

Rear tyre:
Hyundai i10 : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-16-rear-profile.jpg

Parting shot:
Hyundai i10 : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-17-parting-shot.jpg

Last edited by DLC5005 : 25th July 2020 at 13:24. Reason: Typo
DLC5005 is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 25th July 2020, 13:50   #619
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLC5005 View Post
Disclaimer:
This is going to be a lengthy post and please excuse me in case of any mistakes.
Your i10 looks very well maintained. Mint condition. Great that even a 3 size upgrade has led to just a 1 kmpl mileage loss. How much has the low end acceleration affected due to the much heavier rim and tires ? You can upgrade to some lighter alloys to negate some of that.
Mr. Nobody is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2020, 15:38   #620
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Nobody View Post
Your i10 looks very well maintained. Mint condition.
Hi,
Thanks for your kind words.
This is my first car, hence I am trying my best to keep it fit and fine. First car sentiment.

Quote:
Great that even a 3 size upgrade has led to just a 1 kmpl mileage loss.
I am a sedate driver. And it's very rare that I do 'pedal to the metal' kind of driving.
Correct tyre pressure is maintained always.
And windows are never opened during driving.
May be all these has helped to mitigate the milage loss to some extent.

Quote:
How much has the low end acceleration affected due to the much heavier rim and tires ?
Yes, the tyre+rims have made the setup a bit heavier. As per my personal experience, it might have affected the low end acceleration by 5-10% at the max.

In comparison with 14inch broad tyres, the OEM spec 13 inch skinny tyres, used to feel much quicker and eager to move, even with slight acceleration in first gear.
But once I got accustomed with the change, I feel the difference is negligible now.
(Have clocked 46k kms already with this setup, without any issue)

Again, the minimal difference is noticeable only if anyone has used both 13 and 14 inch wheels.
If anyone drives it for the first time, say with 14inch wheels, then surely they cannot make out much difference.

The i10 with 1200cc is still a hoot to drive in city and now with upgraded wheels, it's more confidence inspiring in highway drives as well.

Quote:
You can upgrade to some lighter alloys to negate some of that.
Yes, switching to alloys is my next plan.
Thanks for the suggestion.

Had been searching for a suitable alloy from long time. But, the 14 inch size has very limited choices.
Also, incase of aftermarket alloys, getting the alloys with perfect offset suitable for i10 is difficult.

Meanwhile, I already have a set of 4 OEM i20 alloys of 1st gen(same spec as current rims).
It was procured for my wife's erstwhile i20 magna (now sold). But, the alloys were not fitted to it and hence they are still at my disposal.
I might switch to these alloys during my next tyre change.(still thinking)

A glimpse of the alloys chosen currently :
(Pic taken from Team BHP review)
Hyundai i10 : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-picsart_072503.01.36.png

Last edited by DLC5005 : 25th July 2020 at 15:48. Reason: Corrected the quote
DLC5005 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th July 2020, 18:53   #621
BHPian

Quote:

Meanwhile, I already have a set of 4 OEM i20 alloys of 1st gen(same spec as current rims).
It was procured for my wife's erstwhile i20 magna (now sold). But, the alloys were not fitted to it and hence they are still at my disposal.
I might switch to these alloys during my next tyre change.(still thinking)

A glimpse of the alloys chosen currently :
(Pic taken from Team BHP review)
Attachment 2034300
Why even wait if you have the alloys lying around. You can install these on current tires if they are of the right width.
Old 25th July 2020, 21:05   #622
BHPian

Quote:
Why even wait if you have the alloys lying around. You can install these on current tires if they are of the right width.
Yes, as you said, seems like this is the right time to do the switch.

It was getting delayed because, I am struck in hometown due to some personal constraints and the alloys are lying at my Bangalore home.
Also have placed an order for a missing hub cap and new wheel nuts at local Hyundai ASS, which I am yet to receive.

So if everything materializes in time, then, as you said I will go ahead with change.

(Maybe this will answer your question)
Actual plan(as of March) was to cover around 5k-6k kms more on current tyres by July 2020 and to get the below things done at a time, by July end :
* 90k kms scheduled maintenance and service
* New tyres
* Alloys(either new or existing i20 alloys)
* Android ICE
* Interior cleaning
* Insurance renewal
(August marks the 7 year completion of i10, so this plan was like a birthday gift to i10 )

But all plans went for a toss due to the Covid situation and lockdown.

Last edited by DLC5005 : 25th July 2020 at 21:17.
DLC5005 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st September 2020, 23:25   #623
BHPian

Hello everyone.

Our 2009 Hyundai i10 Magna has completed 76k kilometres and is due for tyre change. Recently got hold of 4 nos. of Maruti Suzuki Swift steel rims. We did fit 175/65/14 rubber and checked for scrapping related issues. Thankfully, even during a full turn, there was no scrapping. I intend to change the steel rims to Hyundai's 14" inch alloys when available.

Have gone through the thread and seen some fellow members upsizing to 175/65/14. Is this upsize highly recommended?

Or else, I shall try hunting for Hyundai Accent rims and get 175/70/13 rubber.

Regards,
Vaishak Murugesan.
Old 3rd September 2020, 17:44   #624

Hi All,

I want to change my stock tyres for my Hyundai i10 kappa2. Currently stock Bridgestone tyres are worn out and need replacement.

I am sticking to the original size 155/80R13, which tyres are best option in this size. I am confused between Ceat and Michelin. Please suggest.

Thanks
Old 3rd September 2020, 18:58   #625
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RallyMaster View Post

I am sticking to the original size 155/80R13, which tyres are best option in this size. I am confused between Ceat and Michelin. Please suggest.
Michelin XM2s are quiet and comfortable. Definitely worth the upgrade
Old 4th September 2020, 19:02   #626

Quote:
Originally Posted by avi550m View Post
Michelin XM2s are quiet and comfortable. Definitely worth the upgrade
Any review on Yokohama Earth-1 tyres. Michelin are softer tyres compared to current stock Bridgestone tyres. So how is the Michelin in terms of durability? Any suggestions?
Old 30th September 2020, 13:20   #627
BHPian

Quote:
* Android ICE
Do you have any particular model in mind? One which is preferably plug and play? My car is into its 8th year, which is it's mid life if it goes as per my plans. I too am looking at an Android ICE upgrade
Old 10th October 2020, 12:05   #628
BHPian

Hello folks, I hope this is the right place to ask my queries about Grand i10 Nios tires.

I will be taking the delivery soon and the tires that come from the factory are CEAT Fulesmarrt - 165/70 R14. I’m considering switching to better rubber and maybe upsize it.

I was thinking of going for Yokohama Earth1 175/65 R14 as that has the smallest deviation.

I was talking to the Hyundai accessories team to see the price they offer and they suggested me to go for 185/65 R14 as the 175s are slightly smaller. But the deviation with 185s are much higher so now I’m confused.

While 185s will offer better grip and highway performance I will mostly use the car in the city and the usage will be low. I’m not sure in what direction I should go.

P.S. I have read that Yokos are more noisy but last longer. However, I’m thinking since my running is low whether I should go for Michelin XM2s or considering Bangalore roads its best to stick to a durable rubber.. I am not sure if for my use case it is worth the premium.

Last edited by tinshark : 10th October 2020 at 12:08. Reason: mentioned about B’lore roads
Old 12th October 2020, 14:26   #629
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinshark View Post
While 185s will offer better grip and highway performance I will mostly use the car in the city and the usage will be low. I’m not sure in what direction I should go.

P.S. I have read that Yokos are more noisy but last longer. However, I’m thinking since my running is low whether I should go for Michelin XM2s or considering Bangalore roads its best to stick to a durable rubber.. I am not sure if for my use case it is worth the premium.
Go for Michelin XM2. I'm not a tire expert, but I'm sharing from my personal experience, since I was a in a similar dilemma 3 years back when I was looking for tire upgrade for my i10 Kappa 1.2. I went for cheaper tires, and driving a friend's car with Michelin XM2's later made me realize my mistake.

The cheaper tires have got hard resulting in harsh ride quality, got noisier and have less grip over the years. They are wearing out pretty less and have only got 1 puncture till now (the only 2 advantages). On the other hand Michelin's offer better grip, smooth ride and better handling. The Michelin's were also 2-3 years old when I drove the car. Can't comment on the puncture and wear part, since my friends car is driven in city on smooth tarmac.

And for the tire size, check the tire upgrade calculator. 185 seems a right fit though. Don't deviate too much as it might effect mileage. Also, check with your dealer if that might lead to any warranty issues.

Enjoy your new car and wishing you happy miles...
coolguru4ever is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th October 2020, 16:13   #630
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolguru4ever View Post
Go for Michelin XM2. I went for cheaper tires, and driving a friend's car with Michelin XM2's later made me realize my mistake.

The Michelin's were also 2-3 years old when I drove the car. Can't comment on the puncture and wear part, since my friends car is driven in city on smooth tarmac.
Thanks for the review and comparison with your tires. While the Yokohamas may be better than the average cheap tire, most reviews clearly highlight the better comfort and ride with XM2s. Will consider them more seriously.

Quote:
And for the tire size, check the tire upgrade calculator. 185 seems a right fit though. Don't deviate too much as it might effect mileage. Also, check with your dealer if that might lead to any warranty issues.
Yes, I did check and 175s are about 4mm smaller (-0.68%) while the 185s are about 9mm larger (+1.53%) in diameter. As the deviation for both are under 2% I felt both should be ok.

I was leaning towards the one with minimum deviation (175). But, I think the dealer is considering the drop in ground clearance a bigger drawback.

Quote:
Enjoy your new car and wishing you happy miles...
Thank you!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks