Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th September 2014, 10:02   #511
BHPian

re: Hyundai i10 : Tyre & wheel upgrade Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyesice View Post
Thanks for the info. Will this affect me in the longer run? Is it ok if I keep it like this? He has done balancing for me. Will try to post the report today.
In theory, you would be closer to perfection with the correct orientation. In normal circumstances, with a good set of wheels and tyres the difference would not be noticeable.
It is necessary to re-balance if you decide to correct the orientation now. Honestly, it does not make sense just for tyre orientation. In my opinion, you should only make the effort to redo if you have any complaints of a wobbly ride. In most cases this is best noticed between 80 -120 Km/H on a smooth road.
bharatsomany is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th September 2014, 10:04   #512
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thank you guys for your valuable opinions. Based on all these input, I went and purchased four sets of alloys and tyres. Although I thought of upsizing to 175/70/R13, I changed my mind and upsized to 185/60/R14 Yoko A-drives
Nice wheels, which one are these and how much did they cost, just the wheels?

Another query hows the ride now, the tires look a little on the lower profile.
motomaverick is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th September 2014, 13:08   #513
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motomaverick View Post
Nice wheels, which one are these and how much did they cost, just the wheels?

Another query hows the ride now, the tires look a little on the lower profile.
The wheels are of Ava I believe. Was too excited to note the exact model name. I got 4 pieces for 16000 INR.

All 4 tyres are now filled with Nitrogen at 32 psi. The ride is a bit bumpy but you get used to it over time. However handling has improved by miles. Earlier,
it was scary to take an acute curve at say 60 - 70 km/hr. Now the car is planted on the road hugging corners with ease.

One peculiar thing that I noted was the fuel efficiency has gone up! I got around 13 kmpl even in peak city traffic. I have to confirm it with a couple of tankful methods though.

Last edited by eyesice : 15th September 2014 at 13:10. Reason: Formatted text
eyesice is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th September 2014, 21:05   #514
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you guys for your valuable opinions. Based on all these input, I went and purchased four sets of alloys and tyres. Although I thought of upsizing to 175/70/R13, I changed my mind and upsized to 185/60/R14 Yoko A-drives
Congratulations on your purchase. 185/60R14 will give you much better handling compared to 175/70R13 with some compromise in ride quality.

You have mentioned a change in FE. Make a few more iterations and see if it has really improved. In my case I did not see any noticeable change in FE.
sbiswas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st September 2014, 00:12   #515
Senior - BHPian

Swapped out my 46K kms old Yokohama ES100s today for fresh new ones today.
Size remains the same - 185/60R14.

Also got some faux sparco mudflaps (wide ones) from ebay - shall fit them myself tomorrow. Should have got these ages ago - the spray from the wide tires are just horrendoues!
blackasta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st September 2014, 10:57   #516
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
Swapped out my 46K kms old Yokohama ES100s today for fresh new ones today.
Size remains the same - 185/60R14.
So, did you get Yoko ES100 again? Did you get any buybacks on the old tires? Post some pics with the new mudflap.
Old 21st September 2014, 11:31   #517
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbiswas View Post
So, did you get Yoko ES100 again? Did you get any buybacks on the old tires? Post some pics with the new mudflap.
Yes - it's the same tires.
Buyback was measly 500 for 4 tires - there are 2 reasons they gave. 1 - the tire size is a little odd and does not fit too many cars, 2 - radial tires cannot be retreaded.
Shall try to post mudflap pics once I am done fitting them.
Old 21st September 2014, 22:22   #518
BHPian

Quote:
Shall try to post mudflap pics once I am done fitting them.
Eagerly awaiting the mudflap pictures. Can you also send me the link of the Ebay seller.
Old 22nd September 2014, 15:56   #519
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by autotranny View Post
Eagerly awaiting the mudflap pictures. Can you also send me the link of the Ebay seller.
Could take a single snap today morning. Sharing the same.
The mudflaps had to be cut extensively in order to fit in the wheelwell and not foul with the wide tires.
Attached Thumbnails
Hyundai i10 : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-1411381578933.jpg  

Last edited by blackasta : 22nd September 2014 at 15:58.
blackasta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2014, 22:43   #520
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The nozzles on my ES100 gave up at 25k+. All four became brittle, cracked and started leaking air. I did not realize this until one of the nozzles cracked completely and refused to hold any air at all.

I was thinking about changing them altogether but then Indo Radial Club said they can fix it without changing the tyre. So got new nozzles/valves fixed @Rs 100/pc.
I realized that I have this same problem with my left rear tire. The brand new tire has lost 50% pressure in just 4 days.
I checked with some soapy water and immediately bubbles started forming. Shall check all 4 tomorrow morning and maybe get the faulty ones changed at lunchtime if possible. Sooner the better. Don't want to waste the brand new ES100s.

Last edited by blackasta : 23rd September 2014 at 22:44.
Old 24th September 2014, 21:25   #521
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I realized that I have this same problem with my left rear tire. The brand new tire has lost 50% pressure in just 4 days.
I checked with some soapy water and immediately bubbles started forming. Shall check all 4 tomorrow morning and maybe get the faulty ones changed at lunchtime if possible. Sooner the better. Don't want to waste the brand new ES100s.
15 minutes and Rs 100 took care of the changing the tire valve. Hope for the best !
Old 28th September 2014, 22:40   #522
BHPian

Quote:
Could take a single snap today morning. Sharing the same.
The mudflaps had to be cut extensively in order to fit in the wheelwell and not foul with the wide tires.
The mudflaps are protruding quite a bit. Do you feel they will survive the onslaught from autos and rickshaws?

If you have gotten your nozzles fixed from Indo Radial, they did a good job on mine. The replacement ones are harder material than Yoko OEM. I am happy with the results.
Old 29th September 2014, 08:29   #523
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The mudflaps are protruding quite a bit. Do you feel they will survive the onslaught from autos and rickshaws?

If you have gotten your nozzles fixed from Indo Radial, they did a good job on mine. The replacement ones are harder material than Yoko OEM. I am happy with the results.
Had to make them protrude by an inch (possibly more) to try and cover the extensive splatter created by the wide tires! Lets hope for the best.
I got the nozzle fitted from a MRF tire world near my house. Didn't want to travel all the way to Topsia again.
Old 17th October 2014, 09:07   #524
BHPian

It's been one month since I have upgraded to 185/60 R14. Since yesterday, I hear a creaking sound ( something like an old rusty door getting opened ) from the front-left portion of my car when I take turns. If I turn the steering wheel when the car is in stand still, there is no sound.

On a flat road, even at high speeds, the sound is not audible.

I think it occurs when the weight shifts between the left and right sides when taking turns.

Your thoughts on this issue guys?

Last edited by eyesice : 17th October 2014 at 09:08. Reason: Added more clarity on the nature of the issue
Old 17th October 2014, 10:24   #525

Quote:
It's been one month since I have upgraded to 185/60 R14. Since yesterday, I hear a creaking sound ( something like an old rusty door getting opened ) from the front-left portion of my car when I take turns. If I turn the steering wheel when the car is in stand still, there is no sound.

On a flat road, even at high speeds, the sound is not audible.

I think it occurs when the weight shifts between the left and right sides when taking turns.

Your thoughts on this issue guys?
Hi,

I upsized my shoes to 175/65 R14.
At that time I did find that 185/60 would be wide and sometimes rub against the inner wheel well.
You can check the gap between the wheel and the well but turning the steering to about 80% of the total rotation and you could observe the gap with your palm. At minimum I have about an inch or so gap. May be yours is smaller though and the wheel could be scratching the inner wheel well at the top.

Other way to see is to check the inner side wall of the tyre for any scratches.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks