Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th October 2014, 12:37   #526
Senior - BHPian

185/60 14 tires on i10 leaves a hairline gap between mudflaps and tire on full lock in my car. I had no oem front mudflaps from 2009 to 2014 for this very reason. Finally could not take the wide spray no more, and fell for fitting thin faux sparco mudflaps.
blackasta is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th October 2014, 12:53   #527
RSR
Senior - BHPian

re: Hyundai i10 : Tyre & wheel upgrade Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyesice View Post
It's been one month since I have upgraded to 185/60 R14. Since yesterday, I hear a creaking sound ( something like an old rusty door getting opened ) from the front-left portion of my car when I take turns. If I turn the steering wheel when the car is in stand still, there is no sound.

On a flat road, even at high speeds, the sound is not audible.

I think it occurs when the weight shifts between the left and right sides when taking turns.

Your thoughts on this issue guys?
There are two possibilities here. One - it could be the mud flaps as mentioned by blackasta.

Two - if that's not the case with your car, then it's probably got to do more with the wheel's offset or ET, than with the 185/60R14 tyres themselves.

Your 14" wheels may have a slightly more positive offset than is ideal for the i10, which results in the tyre scraping against the inner wheel well during a turn. This would be felt only when the car is moving because of the weight shift, just as you mentioned.

On the other hand, blackasta's 14" wheels seem to have a slightly more negative offset which causes no problems on turns, but which makes the tyres protrude out slightly causing mud to splatter on the car's front fenders. He has controlled this by fixing after market mud flaps.

This page offers a simple explanation on wheel offset:

http://www.raceandroad.com/technical...el-offset.html

Last edited by RSR : 17th October 2014 at 13:04.
RSR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th October 2014, 13:29   #528
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSR View Post
There are two possibilities here. One - it could be the mud flaps as mentioned by blackasta.

Two - if that's not the case with your car, then it's probably got to do more with the wheel's offset or ET, than with the 185/60R14 tyres themselves.

Your 14" wheels may have a slightly more positive offset than is ideal for the i10, which results in the tyre scraping against the inner wheel well during a turn. This would be felt only when the car is moving because of the weight shift, just as you mentioned.

On the other hand, blackasta's 14" wheels seem to have a slightly more negative offset which causes no problems on turns, but which makes the tyres protrude out slightly causing mud to splatter on the car's front fenders. He has controlled this by fixing after market mud flaps.

This page offers a simple explanation on wheel offset:

http://www.raceandroad.com/technical...el-offset.html

Thank you very much for the explanation. If my wheels may have a positive offset, will this affect any of the wheel or other components in the long run? Is there anyway to fix them?

Last edited by eyesice : 17th October 2014 at 13:30.
Old 17th October 2014, 13:53   #529
RSR
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyesice View Post
Thank you very much for the explanation. If my wheels may have a positive offset, will this affect any of the wheel or other components in the long run? Is there anyway to fix them?
You're welcome.

Unless your wheels have a H-U-G-E offset difference, there should be no problems with the wheels or any suspension component in the long run.

If it's the alloy wheel offset that is indeed causing the tyre scraping issue, then it only seems to be a minor offset difference on your car. This should not lead to any other problems.

Are you sure it's not the mud flaps that are getting scraped on turns? You can remove the front ones temporarily and drive the car on turns to check if if they are the ones fouling with the tyres.

Only once this has been ruled out, you can be sure of the offset issue causing the problem. There are three solutions in that case -

1) use different wheels of suitable offset with the same 185/60R14 tyres, or

2) use different sized tyres with the same wheels, or

3) use wheel spacers to negate the offset.

Quote:
Wheel spacers are most commonly used to ensure that a particular set of wheels will fit properly on a vehicle if the wheels have the incorrect offset. If wheels interfere with suspension components or body work in the inner wheel arches, then installing a set of wheel spacers may solve this problem by locating the wheels further away from the body work. On the other hand, wheel spacers can potentially cause interference issues since they may locate the wheels closer to the fender lips and body work around the fender openings.

Last edited by RSR : 17th October 2014 at 13:55.
RSR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th October 2014, 08:49   #530
BHPian

Quote:
You're welcome.

Unless your wheels have a H-U-G-E offset difference, there should be no problems with the wheels or any suspension component in the long run.

If it's the alloy wheel offset that is indeed causing the tyre scraping issue, then it only seems to be a minor offset difference on your car. This should not lead to any other problems.

Are you sure it's not the mud flaps that are getting scraped on turns? You can remove the front ones temporarily and drive the car on turns to check if if they are the ones fouling with the tyres.

Only once this has been ruled out, you can be sure of the offset issue causing the problem. There are three solutions in that case -

1) use different wheels of suitable offset with the same 185/60R14 tyres, or

2) use different sized tyres with the same wheels, or

3) use wheel spacers to negate the offset.
Thank you sir. Will definitely check this and post the observations.
eyesice is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 19th October 2014, 21:24   #531
Distinguished - BHPian

Would like to know what make these alloys are and how much a set would cost. Sorry but couldn't take any better pics. Car had moved away by then!

Thanks

Hyundai i10 : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-10661769_10152591578982670_9041684605355788528_o.jpg
Old 23rd October 2014, 19:44   #532
BHPian

Quote:
You're welcome.

Turns out the mud flaps were indeed the culprits. I took them to tyre store and slightly adjusted the tyres and now the sound is gone. Thanks again for all your inputs
eyesice is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 24th October 2014, 10:47   #533
BHPian

Friends, need a suggestion. One of my friend looking for replacing his Hyundai i10's tires. He has some neck pain related issues. Which would be the best product available considering his health condition.
Old 24th October 2014, 16:13   #534
RSR
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxTorque View Post
Friends, need a suggestion. One of my friend looking for replacing his Hyundai i10's tires. He has some neck pain related issues. Which would be the best product available considering his health condition.
He must not compromise on the ride of the car, and choose tyres which offer the best ride quality.

I would advise him to stick either to the stock size of 155/80R13 or choose 175/70R13 tyres. 14" wheels and tyres with less sidewall would worsen the ride quality. If he is upsizing to 175/70R13 tyres, then it's recommended to change the wheels as well, for the stock 4Bx13 rims are too narrow for these.

Considering the above factors, it would be best to stick to the stock 155/80R13 size, and go for tyres which offer the best ride in this size. Softer compound tyres offer good ride comfort. Please tell him to avoid hard compound tyres.

From my experience, the Michelin Energy XM2 is an excellent tyre overall, for it is very silent and offers very good ride quality, lovely road grip and effective braking performance. Despite being made of a softer compound, it's a pretty tough tyre overall. The only downside is that it is a bit expensive comparatively.

I replaced two stock Bridgestone B250s (that had worn out/got damaged) on our i10 to Michelin Energy XM2s over a year ago, based on the recommendation of tyre guru Nikhilb2008. They have been awesome so far, and the difference is very noticeable in terms of road noise and ride quality. Two more stock B250s have almost worn out now, and I'm planning to replace them with XM2s as well.

I'd recommend the Energy XM2 despite them being costlier compared to most other tyres. Softer compound tyres like Amazer 4G from Apollo should also offer good ride quality in this size at a lower price.

I hope your friend ensures the correct air pressure is always maintained in his tyres. I've found that Hyundai's recommendation of 33 psi is on the higher side. 29 psi or 30 psi offers much better ride quality on the i10.

Last edited by RSR : 24th October 2014 at 16:26.
Old 24th October 2014, 18:11   #535
BHPian

Quote:
If he is upsizing to 175/70R13 tyres, then it's recommended to change the wheels as well, for the stock 4Bx13 rims are too narrow for these.
Thanks for the suggestions mate. I will communicate the same to my friend.
MaxTorque is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th December 2014, 11:34   #536
BHPian

My i10 has run over 65K kms in 7 years with the original Bridgestone tyres. So finally I have decided to get them replaced.

Checked with Tyre Empire in HSR layout.
Bridgestone b250 is Rs 3500 and Falken is running an offer of Rs 2700 per tyre.

Can you please suggest if Falken would be a good choice if I can save 3K ?
Old 9th December 2014, 19:18   #537
BHPian

Quote:
I would advise him to stick either to the stock size of 155/80R13 or choose 175/70R13 tyres. 14" wheels and tyres with less sidewall would worsen the ride quality. If he is upsizing to 175/70R13 tyres, then it's recommended to change the wheels as well, for the stock 4Bx13 rims are too narrow for these.
I got Michelin Energy XM2 175/70R13 based on the inputs from the dealer. Will there be any problems? as I have 13" wheels.
Old 10th December 2014, 20:12   #538
RSR
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avinfine View Post
Bridgestone b250 is Rs 3500 and Falken is running an offer of Rs 2700 per tyre.

Can you please suggest if Falken would be a good choice if I can save 3K ?
Bridgestone B250 is strictly an average tyre, but priced rather high. These were the factory fitted stock ones on our i10 too and they are quite average in terms of performance, but they seem to be pretty tough and long lasting. Bridgestone is in the process of phasing out the B250 and replacing it with its successor, the B290.

There aren't many reviews for the Falken Sincera on Team-BHP since Falken has entered the Indian market only recently. I think it should be a decent all-round performer and a good value-for-money product, but I have no idea about its toughness or longevity.

I guess this doesn't matter since you've already purchased Michelin Energy XM2s - these are superb tyres in my opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by avinfine View Post
I got Michelin Energy XM2 175/70R13 based on the inputs from the dealer. Will there be any problems? as I have 13" wheels.
175/70R13 is an ideal upgrade size for the i10. The only thing is that wheels of at least 4.5" width are recommended for this size (the i10's stock factory steel wheels are of 4" width). However, some members are using 175/70R13 tyres with the stock wheels.
Old 18th December 2014, 18:10   #539
BHPian

Quote:

I guess this doesn't matter since you've already purchased Michelin Energy XM2s - these are superb tyres in my opinion.

175/70R13 is an ideal upgrade size for the i10. The only thing is that wheels of at least 4.5" width are recommended for this size (the i10's stock factory steel wheels are of 4" width). However, some members are using 175/70R13 tyres with the stock wheels.
I was in a hurry and took the plunge.

So, finally I drove my car all the way long till Bijapur and returned Bangalore. The drive was awesome, was regretting why I didnt change tyres early.

Totally satisfied with the tyres
avinfine is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th May 2015, 15:58   #540
BHPian

Quote:
Bridgestone B250 is strictly an average tyre, but priced rather high. These were the factory fitted stock ones on our i10 too and they are quite average in terms of performance, but they seem to be pretty tough and long lasting. Bridgestone is in the process of phasing out the B250 and replacing it with its successor, the B290.

Hello all. Sorry for my ignorance but i haven't gone through the whole thread only parts of it.

I own a 2010 i10 Magna 1.2. It is still on the stock tyres
(B250 & 155/80 R13 & 4J steel rims)
All 5 of which are now due for a replacement.
I do want to upgrade them but do not want to change my steel rims.

Hence my query - which size should I use? Should I use the recommended size or something else which will fit the 4J rims?(please guide me as to which size other that stock will fit on the steel rims)

I'm more inclined towards Michelin but it makes only the stock size that fits my rims. Other sizes made by Michelin wont fit my steel rims. I'm want to avoid JK and MRF.

Budget- max rs 4500/tyre or ~ 23000 for the set , excluding balancing and alignment.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks