Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd October 2013, 08:13   #256
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertfox View Post
Of late I have heard of and seen two more instances. Yokohama are planning to put up a new factory in India if they wish to succeed they better address this issue fast.
Would over inflating the tyres to 5-6 psi beyond recommended psi of 30 prevent in avoiding the sidewall bulge issue from cropping up?
Had heard this May help.
Old 23rd October 2013, 09:08   #257
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by princey View Post
Would over inflating the tyres to 5-6 psi beyond recommended psi of 30 prevent in avoiding the sidewall bulge issue from cropping up? Had heard this May help.
The ride quality will be horrible
Old 23rd October 2013, 13:31   #258
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Mahindra Scorpio : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Guys, many of you would have gone for aftermarket alloys on the Scorp. What is the acceptable ET value? None of the alloys I saw have the (stock) value of 55. Mostly its either 0 or in the range of 30-40.
Old 23rd October 2013, 13:44   #259
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
Guys, many of you would have gone for aftermarket alloys on the Scorp. What is the acceptable ET value? None of the alloys I saw have the (stock) value of 55. Mostly its either 0 or in the range of 30-40.
Check the Sai Mag Wheels site, they have several models with 0 offset for the Scorpio.

http://www.alloywheelsindia.com/product1.php

Cheers,
Vikram
comfortablynumb is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2013, 13:52   #260
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
Check the Sai Mag Wheels site, they have several models with 0 offset for the Scorpio.

http://www.alloywheelsindia.com/product1.php

Cheers,
Vikram
Yes Vikram, I did check that and several others online, as well as in person at a few nearby shops. But unable to find anything that matches the factory spec (as shared by BD earlier) -

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
... I would request all of you to refrain from deviating from the OEM specifications which are as follows, ....

Wheel mounting PCD - 160mm
Wheel offset - +55mm (wheel centre is 55 mm inside brake drum). Please DO NOT change this value as if this is changed, the scrub radius changes which completely upsets the suspension and steering performance. Aftermarket wheels have +10 and +45 mm offset which will increase your wheel track by 90 mm and 20 mm respectively. It will also introduce additional eccentricity on your wheel bearings which is not good. As the tyre envelope will change, the tyre will touch all over the place and make you miserable. By the time you will realise all this, you would have paid a lot of money to get your car spoilt and your ego will not even let you speak out that you were right royally taken. Please be careful. Except perhaps for the fact that aftermarket wheels look snazzy, they do nothing. We don't even know the material composition of what we are buying and everybody will agree that a wheel is a safety critical item. My recommendation - NO DEVIATION FROM OEM SPECIFICATION.
Wheel nut geometry - the wheel nuts supplied for Scorpio with steel wheels and Scorpio with alloy wheels are of different geometry in the mounting area. Please DO NOT deviate at all. This is an assembly which must be useed as a set. No matter what any shopkeeper tells you, please do not compromise on safety. The steel wheel nut has a spherical seat whereas the alloy wheel nut has a taper seat.

Hence the query, what values do others settle with for offset? Any adverse impact noticed later?
Old 23rd October 2013, 16:57   #261
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
The ride quality will be horrible
Tried that, you have to ride it believe it.
But notwithstanding that, why should a All Terrain tyre suffer sidewall bulge ?
Old 8th November 2013, 22:55   #262

Hello experts,
My 7 year old SLX has done 71K on OE JK Elanzo tyres. A few punctures so far (Puzzlingly, 90% of the time it's the rear left tyre - don't know why), but generally they have served well.
Request some expert advice on what new tyres should I buy ? I almost ordered Yoko Geolander last month, but after seeing some bad reviews here, I'm confused.
My driving is 60% in the city, ~30% on highways and the rest on village mud roads. Budget is not a major issue.

Thanks in advance
Old 9th November 2013, 12:03   #263
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veeram View Post
Hello experts, My 7 year old SLX has done 71K on OE JK Elanzo tyres. A few punctures so far (Puzzlingly, 90% of the time it's the rear left tyre - don't know why), but generally they have served well. Request some expert advice on what new tyres should I buy ? I almost ordered Yoko Geolander last month, but after seeing some bad reviews here, I'm confused. My driving is 60% in the city, ~30% on highways and the rest on village mud roads. Budget is not a major issue. Thanks in advance
Am happy with my Geolanders, to date have run 3k plus. Perhaps too early to comment. Ride and handling much improved, so is the sway and body roll. My vote goes to them after having experienced Army Gypsy's running Geolanders in Kuchh. They claim their tyres last almost 55k and beyond. Choices!
princey is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th November 2013, 21:48   #264
Senior - BHPian

Re: Need to finalize profile before the Brand and model

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheG2 View Post
Dear agbenny,
Even though 60k is good enough number to change the tyres, but if the tyre condition is good and even the tyre guy feels it can last another 5k KMs then many be you can wait for 5K more.

But this is a call you need to take considering how much are the tyres worn out.

Best,
63K now, and like to change the shoes within next 1000.
Went to shop around found BS Dueler (OE comes with vlx) costs Rs. 6750/- and the seller recommended Michelin Latitude Cross http://www.michelin.in/tyre/patternd.../LatitudeCross ( I am not a fan of asymetric thread pattern though) - Rs. 7400/-

Any recommendations from the above two?

(PS: This thread is long enough with this kind of questions, anyone previously done a compilation for Scorpio Tyres, types and upsizing/downsizing chart - I searched for one, But I couldn't)
Old 14th November 2013, 21:54   #265
BHPian

Re: Need to finalize profile before the Brand and model

Quote:
Originally Posted by agbenny View Post
63K now, and like to change the shoes within next 1000.
Went to shop around found BS Dueler (OE comes with vlx) costs Rs. 6750/- and the seller recommended Michelin Latitude Cross http://www.michelin.in/tyre/patternd.../LatitudeCross ( I am not a fan of asymetric thread pattern though) - Rs. 7400/-

Any recommendations from the above two?

(PS: This thread is long enough with this kind of questions, anyone previously done a compilation for Scorpio Tyres, types and upsizing/downsizing chart - I searched for one, But I couldn't)
Dear agbenny,
Personally out of the 2 I would suggest BS Dueler, since its a proven horse with mostly good reviews.

~Best,
TheG2 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th November 2013, 22:10   #266
BHPian

I would vote for Latitude Cross if the price is fine for you and will last for nearly 60K kms. BS has terrible grip on wet surfaces.
Old 9th December 2013, 20:00   #267
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Sir, I am grateful and honoured that a person of your immense qualifications and exposure in the world of motor-racing, rallying and off-roading, with hands-on experience of driving a variety of vehicles on and off road that I can only dream of, should deign to advise me regarding the safety aspects of over-using tyres like I have, thus exposing my family, myself and many, many other road users to the perils of a potentially out-of-control vehicle that can kill or maim. Please forgive me for blatantly transgressing the limits of safety, because I knew not what I did.

I am also impressed by your further qualifications as described by you in another thread, and which I take the liberty of quoting here...

Unfortunately, I can boast of no such qualifications. I don't remember how many km I have driven on road or off it, I have received no safety training from any agency or manufacturer or team, and I have survived as many summers as you (and perhaps one or two more) probably only because the Lord Almighty did not wish me to stop existing on Earth. I understand very little physics, hardly any mathematics (I failed in Maths in my Board exams), and the organic chemistry behind the construction of tyres is beyond me.

I have never been inside a Toyota Land Cruiser, forget about even the thought of owning or (God forbid) racing one - I don't have the financial resources to buy and maintain a Fortuner, never mind an LC (though I dream of driving a tractor and a JCB off road some day - and so at one time I went and wrote this thread), and the few substandard vehicles (a few Ambassadors, once upon a time a Morris 8, a couple of M-800s, a Zen, an Indica, and an Accent) that I (and my family) have owned and driven were all bought after careful consideration about the economics of how little we can spend and still remain mobile. I am not wealthy enough to be able to afford racing or rallying cars on or off road and incur repair bills that run into tens of thousands of rupees for a few hours of fun & relaxation (sleeping is cheaper, and more relaxing); call it stinginess if you will, but I hate to go to a mechanic at odd hours of the day and pay them a lot of money, so I try to find ways of not calling them when stuck on the road. That same **stingy** DNA in my cells also makes me try to get the maximum number of km out of my tyres, engine, clutch, brakes, in fact, the whole car.

And here you are, Sir, giving me an inferiority complex by brandishing your qualifications, and asking me to spend 30,000 INR and more (which I can ill-afford) to replace all the tyres of my till-now-well-behaved vehicle. I bleed in my soul to imagine that such large displays of wealth might turn my beloved H-4® into a spoilt brat, and I pray that kind gentlemen like you would donate a few slightly-used Bridgestones from your own Scorpios to keep my darling's feet warm, while deciding that those Jimmy Choo and Michelin shoes are the most worthy footwear for your own vehicles.
Well said SST, having survived a few more summers than you too, I fully endorse your sentiments. Whatever you have said applies to me as well, to the extent that even I failed Maths in board exams (year of the lord 1983). Desertfox bhai kabhi ghumao yaar apni landcruiser me.
windiesel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th December 2013, 14:20   #268
Senior - BHPian

Friends,

I have decided to go with Bridgestone Dueler, the stock tyres.

I have a question:
I never used the spare tyres so far. Shall I just buy three tyres and use the spare in a wheel? Is the rubber ok, as its 4years old now though unused?

If yes I can use of the best among the 4tyres as spare. Please suggest.

Thanks
Old 30th December 2013, 00:40   #269
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by agbenny View Post
I never used the spare tyres so far. Shall I just buy three tyres and use the spare in a wheel? Is the rubber ok, as its 4years old now though unused?

If yes I can use of the best among the 4tyres as spare. Please suggest.
Ideally speaking, a 4-year-old tyre that has not been used at all is more prone to cracks, cuts and punctures, with lower levels of grip and flexibility, due to hardening of the rubber compound. But if your usage is limited to city and moderate-speed highway driving, you can safely use the old but unused tyre on one of the rear wheels.
SS-Traveller is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th January 2014, 12:44   #270
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tyres for the Scorpio - New shoes now!

Went ahead with BS Duler H/T 235/70/R16 (Rs. 7750 each and Rs. 400 for alignment and balancing) - and new shoes are in on 31st Dec 2013 (I thought I could remember the day easily) at 64945 Kms. Thanks to the old guys, they were very supportive and I felt very bad seeing then laying on the floor. Said good bye to them.

My old spare Tyre is in one of the rear wheel now, Got a free tyre polish, which made it like new. A new Tyre is in Spare wheels.

I recommend to stick this, if you are in the stock alloys.
1. I see no noticeable change in road noise
2. Grip seems to be fantastic
3. Improved steering response
4. Better breaks - Easy to notice this as soon as you change
5. Looks-vise I liked Yokahama, But BS isn't bad either. Thread pattern looks agile and solid.

I was worried about using the old (unused) stock initially and went as per SS-Traveller's advice.

Auto Planet at Coimbatore (MTP road) completed it in 1.5 hrs, overall great service and I am happy with the price too. I checked the price with M&M A.S.S it was Rs. 8020/- and another Tyre dealer too and finally decided to go with Auto planet.

PS: I tried to upload pictures, But I see I can do only from URLs?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks