Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th May 2008, 11:49   #1186
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
Nope, there should be no badge at the rear. Some of them did add a badge that said "OHV" though.
The badge came on the first batch of MK1's had the side valve engine from the landmaster. Only very few were produced. The next batch had the OHV angine and thus the 'flying' OHV badge on the rear. (This was in 1960) maybe??
Old 4th May 2008, 12:21   #1187
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayD View Post
The badge came on the first batch of MK1's had the side valve engine from the landmaster.
I dont follow you here.

From what I understand, the sidevalve Amby was launched in 57, (with semaphores) and the OHV came in 59. I cant confirm it though. Ive been hunting for the flying OHV badge for years, without success. Cant even get a picture of one now. Can you locate me one for my car?
Old 4th May 2008, 12:38   #1188
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I dont follow you here.

From what I understand, the sidevalve Amby was launched in 57, (with semaphores) and the OHV came in 59. I cant confirm it though. Ive been hunting for the flying OHV badge for years, without success. Cant even get a picture of one now. Can you locate me one for my car?
Even i'm not sure about the dates, But there is a side valve car here, still with the original engine i'm told. The ohv badged ones came out around 59-60. there was one in my hometown, belonged to a petrol pump owner there, all shiny black.Thet's the only car in which i've seen the ohv logo! I was around 7 at that time, but have wanted a Mk1 ever since. No such luck still... sniff!!

@ karl, even i'm looking out for a badge, will look out for one for u too!
The badge(if i remember correctly) was a slanting OHV script with around 3 horizontal lines on each side which kinda looked like wings!.
Anybody got pix??
Old 4th May 2008, 14:57   #1189
Ram
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The badge(if i remember correctly) was a slanting OHV script with around 3 horizontal lines on each side which kinda looked like wings!.
Anybody got pix??
The badge (per my memory) was a chromium-plated italic OHV script with around 3 tilde like horizontal curvy tails on the right side of the OHV only.

I feel almost certain the left hand side of the car had something like this.

But I am somewhat unclear whether or not the right hand side of the rear fender had something like this.

I remember thinking as a kid, that the monogram was designed to give the kinetic impression that the tails were flagging in the slipstream as the car moved.

It has been forty years since I remember seeing that monogram, so please pardon me friends, if I my photographic memory is playing tricks on me.

Ram
Old 4th May 2008, 15:06   #1190
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram View Post
The badge (per my memory) was a chromium-plated italic OHV script with around 3 tilde like horizontal curvy tails on the right side of the OHV only.

But I am somewhat unclear whether or not the right hand side of the rear fender had something like this.

I remember thinking as a kid, that the monogram was designed to give the kinetic impression that the tails were flagging in the slipstream as the car moved.

It has been forty years since I remember seeing that monogram, so please pardon me friends, if I my photographic memory is playing tricks on me.

Ram
I just knew you would soon be along with an illustration.

Many people would fit these badges on the sides too, where the Mark II badges were also fitted originally (see pic). I doubt these OHV badges were factory supplied, they were probably accessories.

The OHV badges that I have seen were mostly fitted on the boot, right hand side, and at an angle. They had the OHV script in the centre (I dont remember it being italic), and the wings on BOTH sides. The wings were 3 bars, the top most being the longest, the bottom being the smallest.

I can only recall 2 cars in Pune that had the badge. One was a Rajashthan regd powder blue car with a thick white stripe along the side, dipping at the rear door. It had some fancy chrome wheelcovers, and a lot of other accessories. Looked smashing. Havent seen it since I was 10 I think. The other is MHP 390, a navy blue one owner car that hasnt moved in a few years, locked up safely. I must go see it and get some pictures soon.
Attached Thumbnails
Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-mk204.jpg  

Old 4th May 2008, 15:07   #1191
BHPian

There is a 59 model very close to my place with the flying OHV logo on the sides of the car. Will get the pics tomm..

Last edited by egangsta : 4th May 2008 at 15:08.
Old 4th May 2008, 15:36   #1192
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram View Post

Now coming to my memory, if I recall right, there was a 'period' between each alphabet, ie. it read O.H.V. The wings seem correct.
Ive seen these badges on a couple of Ambys not more than 8-10 years ago!
But yes, never seen any since!
Old 4th May 2008, 16:13   #1193
Ram
Senior - BHPian

Fintail chromium plated brass monograms

In fact, Karl, Ed, Stanher, I even seem to remember seeing a couple of Ambassadors with aftermarket (Opera House) chrome OHV logo with the tails mounted (see through) vertically standing on the tail fins of the Ambassador, behind the chrome strips on the upper surface of the tail fins.

Something like this...

Ram
Old 4th May 2008, 16:51   #1194
Distinguished - BHPian

Wow, those would sure have looked pretty snazzy back in the day. Wonder if any survive.
Old 4th May 2008, 17:27   #1195
Senior - BHPian

The OHV badges were original on the earliest ohv mk1's and not an accessory. they were almost similarly postioned like the fiat1100 badges in dukkars.

From my memory, i think they looked something like this.
Attached Thumbnails
Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-2untitled.jpg  

Old 4th May 2008, 17:52   #1196
Senior - BHPian

Two more possibilities. Out of the three i've posted, i've got a feeling its the second one that's correct.
Attached Thumbnails
Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-2untitled.jpg  

Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-2untitled2.jpg  

Last edited by JayD : 4th May 2008 at 17:55.
Old 4th May 2008, 18:19   #1197
Ram
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Two more possibilities. Out of the three i've posted, i've got a feeling its the second one that's correct.
I have been sketching cars since 1961 when I was four years old and I can't seem to remember a symmetric OHV badge like what you've drawn.

The axis of the car runs along the centre of the grille, the hood, dashboard, and centre line of the trunk-lid.

By convention, a symmetric wings badge would be located along this axis at the locations mentioned, and not on one or either sides.

Do tell us where this badge was mounted.
Old 4th May 2008, 18:29   #1198
BHPian

pic of a dodge and a fiat probably of 1920s vintage lying in a shed owned by a "car collector" in hyd, these cars i am told have been in the same place for the last 10 years , the owner is quoting an obscene price for the dodge
Attached Thumbnails
Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-dodge-logo.jpg  

Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-dodge.jpg  

Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-fiat.jpg  

Old 4th May 2008, 18:52   #1199
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I dont follow you here.

karlos,jayD
Karlosdeville is right in the first place.
Just a few minutes ago i checked with a senior Hindusthan enthusiast .He confirms that there were 2 types of badges OHV60 and OHV with the assymetrical bar wings on both sides Theses were not factory ORIGINALS but after market accessories.
Also another info, the bumpers of 60,61,62 Mark1's were more squarish compared to the earlier ones.
Old 4th May 2008, 18:59   #1200
Ram
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay99 View Post
...there were 2 types of badges OHV60 and OHV with the asymetrical bar wings on both sides Theses were not factory ORIGINALS but after market accessories.
What does OHV60 mean? Over Head Valve with 60 bhp?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks