Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd March 2008, 23:05   #1096
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
All you have to do is ask.

EDIT - My mistake, this car is behind Fergusson College, not Law College. I heard a lot about that car, but never saw it. Is it the same car?
Karl, I think the fintail I saw was a whiter white, so am not sure if this is the same one. But then, the condition is quite similar, so could be too. I was petrified on Law College Road that day, as the traffic on it has become quite scary these days from what I was used to, so was concentrating more on keeping myself in one piece!

I'll swing by again next time I'm in Pune and check out if the car is still there. She was right next to the main road, just before FTII as I said, so maybe you could do a reccee too.

By the way, there's one in Kirkee cantonement also. Blue in colour and I saw it just this January. Quite ravaged, but can be given a new lease of life. Will rendevous with you when I'm there next (quite likely in April), unless of course you already know about it (quite likely that too!).

Was just talking to a friend from FTII, who used to ride in the 'ol Mercedes Bus as a student there. He thinks she is still there, feeding the tin worms! All their old stuff is sold off in scrap, including rare photographic equipment, like Debries (a brand of camera, hope I got the spelling right).
Old 23rd March 2008, 08:21   #1097
BHPian

Atleast this herald still looks like a herald. In chennai some penants & heralds have a platform bult on the whole car, the driver sits beneath the platform. On the platform, the wedding band group plays !!. It is impossible to rape a car any further.
Old 23rd March 2008, 10:39   #1098
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.S.ANANTH View Post
Atleast this herald still looks like a herald. In chennai some penants & heralds have a platform bult on the whole car, the driver sits beneath the platform. On the platform, the wedding band group plays !!. It is impossible to rape a car any further.
I do recall seeing a type 2 Gazel with such a platform welded onto it when I went to Madras in 2001, it was painted red with a TMJ(?) regn.....forgot which area I saw it in. And yes also saw a Pennant like the one you speak of somewhere onthe outskirts (Sriperumbudhur I think) while coming to Madras by road later in 2001 again, a yellow+orange one with an MDS regn. It seemed otherwise complete, although it had not just a platform but what looked like a throne fitted on top, maybe used for religious processions!

Fortunately or unfortunately I have no pics. of these cars!
Old 23rd March 2008, 11:11   #1099
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prabal View Post
By the way, there's one in Kirkee cantonement also. Blue in colour and I saw it just this January. Quite ravaged, but can be given a new lease of life. Will rendevous with you when I'm there next (quite likely in April), unless of course you already know about it (quite likely that too!).
Yessir, I know it well. It sports an MRZ regn if im not mistaken. Been meaning to go down and photograph it before its too late.

Quote:
This Gazel was up for sale, and then converted into a bandwagon. I saw it run for a while, but havent seen it in a couple of years. I think it just collapsed.
Attached Thumbnails
Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-gazel11.jpg  

Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-gazel13.jpg  

Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-band01.jpg  

Old 23rd March 2008, 11:22   #1100
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Yessir, I know it well. It sports an MRZ regn if im not mistaken. Been meaning to go down and photograph it before its too late.

Is this the same one which we saw in disintegrated condition in Khadki cantonment area?
Old 23rd March 2008, 11:25   #1101
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
Is this the same one which we saw in disintegrated condition in Khadki cantonment area?
The very same. Remind me to get some pics the next time we are somewhere there.

Its quite likely that the car was used for high ranking Army Officers looking at the location it has been dumped - all army quarters.
Old 23rd March 2008, 15:08   #1102
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
But, she has a lot to give yet, if not as a restoration project herself, definitely at least as a donor car. Trims, lights, meters, etc. and maybe the powertrain too.

Quote:
The very same. Remind me to get some pics the next time we are somewhere there.

Its quite likely that the car was used for high ranking Army Officers looking at the location it has been dumped - all army quarters.
Nope, this couldn't have been an official car belonging to the Armed Forces, may have been individually owned by a defence personnel, although there're plenty of civillians living in Khadki too. The only Mercedes that I've known of belonging to the Forces is a midnight blue '69-70, 115 at HQ Eastern Command, Fort William, Calcutta (that's how the City of Joy was then known, fortunately there's no diktat yet on renaming the 'foreign' names of automobiles!), which was captured from Bangladesh during the '71 war and then did duty for the CinC Eastern Command. The GOCinC Eastern Command was driven around in a Chevy Fleetmaster. Wonder if both still survive, and where?

I know of many Mercs individually owned by Armed Forces' officers, bought on foreign postings as also other makes, including the Japanese cars starting from the 70s.

Pre-independence of course there were many marques owned by the military - ranging from the smaller cars for general staff duty to the expensive ones for senior officers. There were Rolls Royce Armed Personnel Carriers too for the troops - how egalitarian! There was a vintage Standard 10 pick-up also in Shillong, that I've heard of, amongst many other interesting stories.

There's a late 60s white Ford Galaxie/Fairmont that was the Air Chief's official wheels once upon a time, dispalyed in the Air Force Museum, Palam, Delhi nowadays.

Calcutta also used to have an Austin Sheerline (silver coloured), which used to be originally the British Commander-in-chief General Roy Bucher's staff car, left behind after independence. I believe it occasionally participates in the Kolkata rallys.

The Forces pet buy of course were the Kurla-assembled Dodges and Plymouths (Kingsways, Belvederes, few Savoys and the Station-wagons - Suburbans, et all). Incidentally, the older green station-wagon that's still with the Army in Khadki, which was posted on TBHP recently, gave me a few joy rides too, while I was in school!

What say, sirs, should we start a thread on military vehicles? I may not have many supporting pictures, but maybe as we progress, all the resources here may start coming up with those. We could have separate ones for cars, bikes, jeeps, trucks/buses, etc.
Old 23rd March 2008, 16:18   #1103
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
But, she has a lot to give yet, if not as a restoration project herself, definitely at least as a donor car. Trims, lights, meters, etc. and maybe the powertrain too.
Bad news, I just returned from that place, the car is no longer there. A blue Ford Ikon rests in its place! Im quite sure it was the same spot, but just to be sure Ill make one more round to confirm.

Quote:
Calcutta (that's how the City of Joy was then known, fortunately there's no diktat yet on renaming the 'foreign' names of automobiles!)

Quote:
Calcutta also used to have an Austin Sheerline (silver coloured), which used to be originally the British Commander-in-chief General Roy Bucher's staff car, left behind after independence. I believe it occasionally participates in the Kolkata rallys.
Here it is. Note the Padmini bumper guards. Thankfully the Lucas P100s seem to be relatively intact.
Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-austin01.jpg

Quote:
The Forces pet buy of course were the Kurla-assembled Dodges and Plymouths (Kingsways, Belvederes, few Savoys and the Station-wagons - Suburbans, et all). Incidentally, the older green station-wagon that's still with the Army in Khadki, which was posted on TBHP recently, gave me a few joy rides too, while I was in school!
Interesting! She runs a diesel now im told.

The NDA Commandants 57 Dodge Kingsway in presentable original paint was auctioned a few years back I believe, and even came to a rally in Pune, bearing a MH 12 CK regn I think, and still sporting blacked out NDA motifs. No pics unfortunately.[/quote]
Old 23rd March 2008, 17:24   #1104
BHPian

There is an Austin Sheerline for sale in Chennai. It was imported a few years back .It has the Customs papers but it has not been registered with the RTO. It is a non runner. Needs restoration. But the bad news is-It has a Fordson Diesel Engine, the original engine was left behind in England. If any one interested, just send a PM
Old 23rd March 2008, 18:58   #1105
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
There is an Austin Sheerline for sale in Chennai. It was imported a few years back .It has the Customs papers but it has not been registered with the RTO. It is a non runner. Needs restoration. But the bad news is-It has a Fordson Diesel Engine, the original engine was left behind in England. If any one interested, just send a PM
I know where to get an original engine and gearbox. Anyone interested, PM me and if i can get pics of the car i may be interested.

Last edited by V-16 : 23rd March 2008 at 19:01.
Old 23rd March 2008, 21:31   #1106
BHPian

just PM me. I shall give you the mobile No. of the owner. You may contact him directly
Old 24th March 2008, 16:05   #1107
BHPian

Chevrolet Bel Air in Goa

I was recently in Goa and chanced upon this beauty rusting away at Vasco.

I think it has'nt moved from that place for years. But this beauty looks restorable. Take a look.
Attached Thumbnails
Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-pic1.jpg  

Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-pic2.jpg  

Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-pic3.jpg  

Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-pic4.jpg  

Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-pic5.jpg  

Old 24th March 2008, 16:42   #1108
Senior - BHPian

Chevy Bel Air Rusting away

i wish I had money to restore these classics.
Old 24th March 2008, 17:45   #1109
BHPian

Many Chevrolets, Fords cars were available in Jeddah in much better
shape and running condition. Only problem is how to bring it to India.

I have one Chevrolet Caprice 1986 very strong body and comfortable
car.
Old 24th March 2008, 21:09   #1110
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post
Chevy Bel Air Rusting away
1968 Chevy Belair or Biscayne. God Shes a LHD so maybe shes got a V-8 Auto...wow. Is it for sale?? I had an Identical Impala RHD, straight six. MRD 3025. Someone from Poona bought it from my family in the early 80's Wish I could trace the car back.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks