Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th March 2008, 22:54   #1111
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by star_is_here View Post
I was recently in Goa and chanced upon this beauty rusting away at Vasco.

I think it has'nt moved from that place for years. But this beauty looks restorable. Take a look.
Except for the bootlid and part of the roof sides I dont find too much corrosion on her. Also the front windscren looks like an alteration in place of the original, note the 'leftover' spaces on either sides between the glass and the A-pillars.

Anyways, atleast you find classics like these off-road in other states. AP/Hyderabad seems to have been totally wiped out of even rusting rare classics!

Last edited by Stanher : 24th March 2008 at 22:55.
Old 25th March 2008, 11:37   #1112
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
1968 Chevy Belair or Biscayne. God Shes a LHD so maybe shes got a V-8 Auto...wow. Is it for sale?? I had an Identical Impala RHD, straight six. MRD 3025. Someone from Poona bought it from my family in the early 80's Wish I could trace the car back.
Gogi, this is a Bel Air. I think it could be up for sale if one enquires. The time I clicked the pics, no one was around. I asked a shop keeper (it was a sunday hence most of the shops were closed) about the owner and he said that car is lying there earlier than he set his shop, hence he had no clue. Moreover, I was just passing by so could'nt hound the owner myself. I know the exact place (where the car is lying) hence if some one from our team can go and check the car it would be a super idea.
Old 25th March 2008, 21:47   #1113
BANNED

Oh i should have spoke about this car(The Belair) before. I have being seeing this car for the last 4 years in the same spot. I tried locating the owner, found 3 of them. None of them had either the keys or the papers so i am not sure whether they were the actual owners, or whether they didnt want to show them to me. None of them wanted to sell though. Only one guy i thought was genuine, he stays in a lodge. I have met him, if someone is interested i can guide you folks there.

About the vehicle, i think its too much of an issue to restore it. It has rusted very badly, not that it can be restored but to me(an amateur) it looked in quite a bad state. It is indeed an automatic with a V8 engine, according to the owner the engine packed up and it was beyond his means to repair it. He said the whole drivetrain needs to be replaced if it needs to work or swap the engine. The rear right hand window pane is broken and the interiors have all but rusted. The hubcaps on the left are missing. Its a massive vehicle though and still looks quite good. The owners wont sell rather cant sell it as there is some dispute over it.

Its placed quite prominently in Vasco, ask anyone there for a big red car rusting, the whole of the city knows about it.
Old 25th March 2008, 23:53   #1114
Senior - BHPian

Buddy in the last pic do I spot a floor shift? looks like he even didnt bother to remove the column mounted shift lever??
It certainly looks like that and if its got a floor shift then in all probability the engine is a diesel. If that is the case the car is a strict no no unless available for pennies, with the original engine and gearbox.
Old 26th March 2008, 10:41   #1115
Senior - BHPian

A 1948 Dodge fluid drive. Rotting away. Its been there for 10 years or more. Note the Montana on its roof!!!

P.S: The guy wanted 1.5 lac for this piece of junk!!
Attached Thumbnails
Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-02032008660.jpg  

Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-02032008663.jpg  

Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-02032008662.jpg  

Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-02032008664.jpg  

Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-02032008666.jpg  

Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-02032008667.jpg  

Old 26th March 2008, 11:33   #1116
BANNED

@V-16: The owner thinks he owns a gold mine with that car, he is hoping he can get 5 lakhs for it its present state. I think too many people are contacting him.
Old 26th March 2008, 11:45   #1117
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
he is hoping he can get 5 lakhs for it its present state. I think too many people are contacting him.
Thats the issue, he will not get 5 lakhs but will get some fool who will pay him an amount that is not at all worth the condition of the car.
Old 26th March 2008, 12:43   #1118
BHPian

Hi JayD,
Will he sell only the Propeller Shaft & gear Box?I am interested
Old 27th March 2008, 12:08   #1119
Distinguished - BHPian

Came across neat this photo on a flickr album (I think) ages ago.
Attached Thumbnails
Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-junks.jpg  

Old 27th March 2008, 15:48   #1120
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
@V-16: The owner thinks he owns a gold mine with that car, he is hoping he can get 5 lakhs for it its present state. I think too many people are contacting him.
You know that the problem with these idiots. Until very recently, the car would have sold for nothing more than 15K but everyone who has a car like that thinks hes got, as you said a gold mine. A little but i think you will enjoy this little incident that I encountered.
I was informed about a 47 Chrysler Windsor almost i the same condition if not worse, than the one JayD has posted. The car was sitting there for around 15 years. A lot of calls later the so called owner agreed for a meeting. The price quoted was 10lacs. For what I inquired? Was he selling his flat with it ( those who know me, know I would have said that actually) This angered the guy and ge said that he has been offered 9 by a "foreigner". I decided to have fun with the guy so I apologized for my earlier comment and said I would pay last 9 Lacs for it but needed to see the papers and then the payment would be immediate. You should have seen the guys expression. He almost thought he had me where he wanted. Coke was ordered and he became from arrogant to super polite. Even came to drop me to my car. He took my number and said hed call me in a day. Needless to say that there was no call and he kept on insisting for a deposit as the foreigner was after his case. I forgot to add that there was a perkins P-6 engine in it.
Then I realized that he was not the owner and that there were no papers to the thing. I continued to call him for a week after that till he told me the truth. It hurts to say the car went as junk to the chor bazar, what it was worthy of and from where I got a call. They wanted 75K for it. Imagine what they bought it as.
So the moral is that there fools kill the goose that would lay the proverbial golden egg by their attitude and lack of knowledge.

Last edited by V-16 : 27th March 2008 at 15:50.
Old 27th March 2008, 16:32   #1121
BHPian

Same scene everywhere...3 years back when I started my hunt for a convertible Morris minor in Goa, I cam across a guy who wanted to sell off his 4 door minor (had some radiator problem though!) for Rs. 10K. Few days back, when the search started again, my brother informed a guy asking Rs. 18 lakhs for a (newly painted; decent condition) Morris minor. Can’t believe what’s happening. The guy has a beetle and a merc as well. Quoting higher than this for the other cars. What should I be quoting price for a well maintained, running condition Morris Minor (2 or 4 door)?
Old 27th March 2008, 23:53   #1122
BANNED

@V-16: Exactly!! It pains to see such beautiful cars go to waste because of the owners(?) greed. I really wanted to give back to the guy but then it was of no use.

@DarshanS: Are you talking about the guy in Margao with that small provision store behind a prominent girls high school? Stay "AWAY" from that guy, i know him well and his dealings. PM me with your number and we can have a talk. He has a Morris 8 and a Willy's up for sale. The price depends a lot upon the condition, but the most important thing and on which the price depends are the papers. Transferring a car from Goa RTO is a big headache, or rather it is going to get really messy with some new rules coming in.
Old 28th March 2008, 01:16   #1123
Senior - BHPian

Yikes!! Thats quite a heal,Karl!

Sigh...if only these beauties were restored back to its original glory. Sad to see the Yezdi rusting this way..
Old 28th March 2008, 02:10   #1124
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarshanS View Post
Same scene everywhere...3 years back when I started my hunt for a convertible Morris minor in Goa, I cam across a guy who wanted to sell off his 4 door minor (had some radiator problem though!) for Rs. 10K. Few days back, when the search started again, my brother informed a guy asking Rs. 18 lakhs for a (newly painted; decent condition) Morris minor. Can’t believe what’s happening. The guy has a beetle and a merc as well. Quoting higher than this for the other cars. What should I be quoting price for a well maintained, running condition Morris Minor (2 or 4 door)?
I know a person who has the following for sale. Please send me a PM if anybody is interested. I can forward you his contact details
  1. Hillman - 1 lac
  2. Morris Minor 1000 (1970) - 2.5 lacs
  3. Dodge - 5.5 lacs
I am posting his email here

" All the vehicles are in excellent condition... Hillman
need small tinkering & painting work.
Morris Minor 1000 we are having this vehicle for the
past 12 years we are using it daily too.... It is in
excellent condition. Dodge is in paint workshop at
present. It will take 30-45 days to deliver the
vehicle. "
Old 28th March 2008, 07:40   #1125
BHPian

Hillman-Which year & where is the car & what is the condition?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks