Attached Thumbnails
Standard cars in India-dsc01220.jpg  

Standard cars in India-dsc01221.jpg  

Standard cars in India-dsc01222.jpg  

Old 2nd January 2010, 17:47   #1007
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the mole View Post
Well thats what people said when I bought the Fiat I have always had a secret admiration for Heralds my aunt had a mint green and beige one and my mom's best friend had a red one.
Hehe....well yes, it does seem unusual if an aficionado of "higher-end" classics falls for more "humble" ones...!
Uh, green and beige? Or you mean green and cream (actually litchfield green and sebring white) which would make it an early ('62) Herald. Were these in B'bay btw?
BTW, I notice the front wheel of the 13/60 is missing!! Have they been taken off and kept aside??

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun1100 View Post
Rusting in pieces... Standard 10.
Wow, what a find! It seems to be a MH regn. though. Were you able to find the owner? Mr. Behram Dhabar may be interested in it!
Old 2nd January 2010, 17:56   #1008
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
Wow, what a find! It seems to be a MH regn. though. Were you able to find the owner? Mr. Behram Dhabar may be interested in it!
It parked on the road outside a used car showroom near the Shivajinagar Bus stand. And gujiri is just a km away from this car.:(
Old 2nd January 2010, 19:42   #1009
BHPian

Quote:
And gujiri is just a km away from this car.(
That's one ominous statement. Maybe Stephen King and John Carpenter could team up again, this time with a Standard 10 in India!!
Old 2nd January 2010, 23:32   #1010
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
It parked on the road outside a used car showroom near the Shivajinagar Bus stand. And gujiri is just a km away from this car.:(
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prabal View Post
That's one ominous statement. Maybe Stephen King and John Carpenter could team up again, this time with a Standard 10 in India!!
My sentiments exactly! Arun, then what are you waiting for? Beganu hogu!!

Cars like these could be quite restorable , and if not, atleast it could make a good enough parts donor by the looks of it. Unless....the owner wants some "aasmaan" price for it, which could be why it's sitting outside so long!
Old 3rd January 2010, 13:01   #1011
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My sentiments exactly! Arun, then what are you waiting for? Beganu hogu!!

Cars like these could be quite restorable , and if not, atleast it could make a good enough parts donor by the looks of it. Unless....the owner wants some "aasmaan" price for it, which could be why it's sitting outside so long!
Many times that is the case. One select with only 5% originality and lots of metafill and putty is asked for 60 grand .
Old 3rd January 2010, 14:20   #1012
Senior - BHPian

Stanher,

Why did you change your avtar? Any specific reasons other than an urge for change

Best Regards & Drive/Ride Safe

Ram
Old 3rd January 2010, 14:26   #1013
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_nairtvm View Post
Stanher,

Why did you change your avtar? Any specific reasons other than an urge for change
Well, it should be obvious, if you could read the number on that car in the avtaar!

I'll be reverting to a 'regular' avtaar soon.
Old 4th January 2010, 17:08   #1014
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Well, it should be obvious, if you could read the number on that car in the avtaar!
Understood.

Perils of refusing to use specs full time even at half century!

Best Regards & Drive/Ride Safe

Ram
Old 4th January 2010, 18:27   #1015
Senior - BHPian

This is a picture of a 29 Standard Coventry 14 HP six which was on sale in Mumbai a while back. Any idea who owns this car now ?
Attached Thumbnails
Standard cars in India-29-standard-coventry-14-hp-6-cyl.jpg  

Old 4th January 2010, 23:07   #1016
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
This is a picture of a 29 Standard Coventry 14 HP six which was on sale in Mumbai a while back. Any idea who owns this car now ?
That was quite a while ago. This car is now in Goa, went there via Nashik where she was used as a template for a 16HP Standard.

Did you take that picture?

Cheers harit
Old 5th January 2010, 10:11   #1017
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
That was quite a while ago. This car is now in Goa, went there via Nashik where she was used as a template for a 16HP Standard.

Did you take that picture?

Cheers harit
No this puicture and teh Bentley pics were given to me by two brothers who were car dealers out of Bombay and made regular trips to Hyderabad.

Names we Harish and Paresh Solanki. Do you know of them ?
Old 5th January 2010, 10:49   #1018
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
No this picture and the Bentley pics were given to me by two brothers who were car dealers out of Bombay and made regular trips to Hyderabad.
Names were Harish and Paresh Solanki. Do you know of them ?
Yes I know them very well. They work on many of my cars.

Cheers harit
Old 5th January 2010, 11:25   #1019
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
Yes I know them very well. They work on many of my cars.

Cheers harit
They work for you ??

They bought a few cars from us and a lot of spares.

Ask them if they remember me and my friend Zozzy from Marredpally in Sec Bad.
Old 19th January 2010, 23:54   #1020
Distinguished - BHPian

In keeping with my goal on always meeting new standards (), here are a couple I met, although one of them isn't really "new" to me!

'been seeing this rather complete and tidy black mk1 Herald in the compound of an old house in Secunderabad that's remained locked up as long as I remember seeing it. I've passed by this house almost every time I would pass by this street in this colony, but it was only a few days ago that I saw this car in the corner of that compound! The house seems to be kind of attached (ie. in the same property) to a bigger and more magnificent old bungalow beside it, as there is no compound wall between them, and you can enter this compound from the other one even with this gate being locked.
However, when I and my mech. had enquired today from an old caretaker of the bigger house, she wasn't sure whether the car belonged to their house owner or that of this house, and said that it's been sitting unused for ages, but was parked a little behind the house until moved out to the front recently. So I reckon it was safely garaged all this while, and going by the power generator near it plus the apartment construction going on behind, I can just hazard a guess that this house is part of the property behind it that was sold for the same, and is likely to be torn down soon...sad! In that case, it isn't safe for the car to be around there longer!
I was told there is a watchman here though, who was out at the time. Hopefully I could get more details from him the next time.

Incidentally, note that this Herald has been modified with twin leaf-spring and a rigid beam axle suspension, taken either from a Standard 10 or Fiat, most likely the former. A common mod done on Heralds those days, to rid them of the constant problems of the original swing axle halfshafts breaking apart/loosening. The leaf spring set-up on the left is partly visible (arrowed) in the pic. of the rear. This also makes the rear wheels lose their characteristic "tuck-in" when stationary.

Also note the large-ish side-indicators, a common accessory in those days. Our Gazel too had them for ages.

Standard cars in India-blkmk101.jpg

Standard cars in India-blkmk102.jpg

The other Standard is a phase 2 (early-mid 50s) Vanguard that I've seen a couple of times at another place since a year. It was first spotted by suren181:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/1067497-post599.html

Deteriorated quite a bit since! Seemed like it was a runner in regular use (maybe not now though) and also the floor-shift gear makes me suspect it's dieselised! A real pity about the dash/steering wheel though!

Standard cars in India-junkvan01.jpg

Standard cars in India-junkvan02.jpg

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks