Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th May 2012, 10:52   #211
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Where is it now? - Lost & Found Classics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Selva View Post
An 71` Ambassador "TNB 641" in Coimbatore,
a 62` Sky Blue Standard Companion "CAC ****" last spotted in Mathikere,Bangalore and a 68 Standard Herald,modified, " MEQ 8283", last spotted in a Kannada Movie in early 90`s.
Could this be your Companion?

Standard Companion - 1963 - Palakkad - Cars

Also what was the name of the Kannada movie that had your Herald in it?
Stanher is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2012, 12:07   #212
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
Could this be your Companion?

Standard Companion - 1963 - Palakkad - Cars

Also what was the name of the Kannada movie that had your Herald in it?

Don`t remember the name, it was a Vishnuvardhan movie,had old actors like Ashok as his brother,Ashwat as his father.The theme song had a tune in trumpet.Will try check in the web. This car was sold in 1988 for 6.5k

This is truly amazing.Its the same old Companion we had.Good to see this has survived.Brought from a doctor in 1989 by my Dad and Uncle,This car was sold in 1995 for 8K.

Thanks

Last edited by Bob Selva : 18th May 2012 at 12:15. Reason: Update
Old 18th May 2012, 13:33   #213
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
This is truly amazing.Its the same old Companion we had.Good to see this has survived.Brought from a doctor in 1989 by my Dad and Uncle,This car was sold in 1995 for 8K.
Glad to know this was your car...I can understand the feeling!

You interested in buying it back BTW?

If only it could be had at the same price or even just double of what you sold it for!

Ironically, this car was put up for sale September last year and more pics. of it were emailed to me by a fellow tbhpian who was considering buying it..the asking price was then less than half of what is now quoted for it!
Old 18th May 2012, 13:41   #214
BHPian

Quote:
Glad to know this was your car...I can understand the feeling!

You interested in buying it back BTW?

If only it could be had at the same price or even just double of what you sold it for!

Ironically, this car was put up for sale September last year and more pics. of it were emailed to me by a fellow tbhpian who was considering buying it..the asking price was then less than half of what is now quoted for it!
Would love to buy it back,but I will have to sell off both my cars for that. Will check out if the car is still available and speak to the current owner.I doubt the car papers have been transferred.I will have to dig in to check if it was a fourth owned car with us or third owned car.If the car has not been transfered, may be I can negotiate hard upto 40K or so.Will update the fourm.
Thanks so much for your help Stanher,never thought I will be able to see her again.
Bob Selva is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2012, 13:46   #215
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Would love to buy it back,but I will have to sell off both my cars for that. Will check out if the car is still available and speak to the current owner.I doubt the car papers have been transferred.I will have to dig in to check if it was a fourth owned car with us or third owned car.If the car has not been transfered, may be I can negotiate hard upto 40K or so.Will update the fourm.
Thanks so much for your help Stanher,never thought I will be able to see her again.
My pleasure, am glad to see people still having interest in these cars!

GOOD LUCK!

BTW, in the pics. I received by email, she was fitted with Fiat tail-lamps, Amby meters and a Herald/Gazel steering wheel. Were all these alterations done when the car was in your ownership (if you can remember?)
Old 18th May 2012, 14:00   #216
BHPian

Quote:
My pleasure, am glad to see people still having interest in these cars!

GOOD LUCK!

BTW, in the pics. I received by email, she was fitted with Fiat tail-lamps, Amby meters and a Herald/Gazel steering wheel. Were all these alterations done when the car was in your ownership (if you can remember?)
When we sold the car,there was a pair of cup type tail lamps and not the padmini ones.The had original speedo and the glowing indicator hand(you will be able to guess it). I remember my father telling me that he changed the steering wheel to a herald`s since he had a spare as he was more comfortable in a herald one than a companion`s.

I still have retained it original jack and a starter key.

I still remember the day my Dad and Uncle brought the car home with a new coat of paint and those new blue rexin seat covers.

Myself,my brother and cousin sister (Uncle`s daughter) use to occupy the rear dicky.My Dad and Uncle in the front (Both were die hard drivers),my mom,aunt and the grandmother in the back seats.It was so fun playing in the car during the younger days being in a joint family.This car had served us really well after heralds and elgents we had and before the Padmini`s,Amby`s and Maruti`s.

Thanks
Old 26th May 2012, 14:53   #217
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manishk123
There was an orange VW Karmann Ghia in Malabar hill, Mumbai. The owner had maintained it very well. He had these oval stickers of different countrys names on the car as was the trend in those days. Used to see her quite regularly till around 15 years ago. Don't know where she dissapeared after that. Was a real beauty. Anyone remember seeing her?
Hi when I used to work in Brady Gladys Plaza, an office complex in Lower Parel, Mumbai, one of the textile unit owners (Arun Nayyar and his brother) was a collector of cars. Have spent many a lunch hour admiring the one you have mentioned, he also had a lime green Beetle, and four other classics parked there. I'm sure they are all there even today.
Old 2nd June 2012, 13:45   #218
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Automaton

Hi when I used to work in Brady Gladys Plaza, an office complex in Lower Parel, Mumbai, one of the textile unit owners (Arun Nayyar and his brother) was a collector of cars. Have spent many a lunch hour admiring the one you have mentioned, he also had a lime green Beetle, and four other classics parked there. I'm sure they are all there even today.
Was passing Khar Subway, near Wellingdon Gym, waited for a Sky Blue dukkar Fiat (MRC 3808) driven by two old friends and a lady sitting behind.
Unfortunately it had the tail light taped up with red electrical tape :(
Old 2nd June 2012, 14:18   #219
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Automaton

Was passing Khar Subway, near Wellingdon Gym, waited for a Sky Blue dukkar Fiat (MRC 3808) driven by two old friends and a lady sitting behind.
Unfortunately it had the tail light taped up with red electrical tape :(
Boss this post does not make any sense, this is not a personal diary or travelogue, you must make sure what you post is informative and contributes to the overall thread quality. Thank you!
the mole is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2012, 15:23   #220
BHPian

Thanks for the feedback. The thread started with people trying to find their personal cars, 'Where are they now'.

They have detailed number plates and car makes. People have replied back with sightings.

Hence I was just posting a nice 1100 that I just saw, for ex-owners and lovers of the said model.

I can be brusque about it and just mention the model and car number, but the extra information that you see as a 'travelogue' might actual help piece incomplete information better. And saves me time to reply back to people regarding 'where, what condition, etc.'

I find it charming to see gentlemen in their retirement years drive these old vehicles with gusto, and the care that they take of their vehicles in messy traffic. You should have been there to see him wave his free arm to stop incoming traffic as he took a difficult turn.

The earlier post was about the few cars I know are parked at Brady Gladys Plaza in response to a query.

Not entirely my fault if this thread was dying and no one else is contributing.

Also if you read my life story in the introduce yourself section, you'll realize why I identify with this thread. And why I read it so thoroughly at @Karlosdeville's prompting.

Sir, I have changed 29 houses in 32 years. Air Force kids should know. My life is a travelogue.

All in all, this verbal diarrhea is probably the initial enthusiasm of joining this forum. Maybe it's just my style. Time will tell.
Automaton is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2012, 15:36   #221
Distinguished - BHPian

Automaton, as you are relatively new to the forum, the mole I'm sure is simply trying to point out that your post is probably in the wrong thread. This thread is for people looking for their particular old car (a couple of cases have been solved too).

If you see a nice sighting of a Fiat in Mumbai, perhaps the Fiat Club thread would be more apt. Should you see a classic car being worked on at a garage, perhaps the 'Classics being restored in India' thread is apt. A pristine Rolls Royce passes you by? Then the Rolls thread. It is a bit daunting at first, but the large number of threads does ease navigation. Should you ever have a question, dont hesitate to shout out. Most of us (if not all) are a friendly, helpful bunch.

Many Armed Forces backgrounds are seen in this thread. Do contribute if possible.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/vinta...-cars-153.html
Old 2nd June 2012, 15:49   #222
BHPian

Thanks. Going into self imposed silence mode.
Old 2nd June 2012, 17:32   #223
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
I'm sure is simply trying to point out that your post is probably in the wrong thread. Many Armed Forces backgrounds are seen in this thread. Do contribute if possible.

Unfortunately Karl, the Nostalgic Pictures of Our Family Cars' link that you've posted above, has become the most Off-Topic thread, IMHO. It's replete with pictures that are taken not from our own family albums but from unknown ones, from lots of photos purchased from here and there...not to mention the pictures copied and pasted from obscure websites.

And then, there are also pictures of bullock-carts and other ADVs being posted, with an automobile in the background, but not the focus of discussion though!! Bumping a dormant thread with OT posts is no justification, but that may just be my opinion.

It's enjoyable to see old photographs, I like them too, but it's the deviation from the family album theme that bothers me. There should have been a new thread started called Old Photographs or something like that, not even restricting it to automobiles. For instance, how nice it would be to see a period photograph of an elephant riding a trike at one of the good old circuses, Ramon, Apollo, Gemini, carting water for the gymnasts!
Old 2nd June 2012, 18:32   #224
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prabal View Post
Unfortunately Karl, the Nostalgic Pictures of Our Family Cars' link
Would those circus pictures be in colour?
You are so right, we had debated about renaming the thread, many old pictures have stories to tell. But so far no decision was taken. And we did have some nice pictures, na?
Karl, is it still possible to split the posts into family and non family? And specify that every post must clearly state how family was related, my family, wife's family, neighbours family. Unknown family would be a no no.
Lets see what mods do.

Cheers harit

In posting those pictures in the Nostalgic thread the intention is not to bump up. And on rare occasions the forum gets bumped up due to inactivity.

Last edited by harit : 2nd June 2012 at 18:40.
Old 2nd June 2012, 22:22   #225
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
Automaton, as you are relatively new to the forum, the mole I'm sure is simply trying to point out that your post is probably in the wrong thread. This thread is for people looking for their particular old car (a couple of cases have been solved too).

If you see a nice sighting of a Fiat in Mumbai, perhaps the Fiat Club thread would be more apt. Should you see a classic car being worked on at a garage, perhaps the 'Classics being restored in India' thread is apt. A pristine Rolls Royce passes you by? Then the Rolls thread. It is a bit daunting at first, but the large number of threads does ease navigation. Should you ever have a question, dont hesitate to shout out. Most of us (if not all) are a friendly, helpful bunch.

Many Armed Forces backgrounds are seen in this thread. Do contribute if possible.

Give him and other new members the benefit of doubt and shift the posts to the correct thead Karl with a PM to them explaining the reason......you dont want new members to be scared to post anything because of the rules do you ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks