Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th August 2015, 19:09   #271
BHPian

Concealing Dashcam Wires: GUIDE

I am going to mention a step by step procedure on concealing your dashcam wires, routing it through the co-passenger side.

DISCLAIMER: All pictures taken using mobile camera, please excuse the quality.

NOTE TO MODS: Don't know how to remove the thumbnail at the the bottom.

DASHCAM USED FOR ILLUSTRATION: My first and recently acquired Blaupunkt BP 2.0 FHD. ( Thanks to BHPian SunnyBoi for posting about the awesome (snap)deal!! )

The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-1.jpg

THE PLAN: Red arrow indicates the route of the wire.
The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-16.jpg
STEP 1: Install your dashcam they way you want it. It does not matter if it is not exactly next to the edge of the roof liner. Just ensure you have left enough wire for connecting the cam.

The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-2.jpg
The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-3.jpg

STEP 2: Now plug in the charger into the power outlet. After that start pushing the wire into the roof liner and to push it firmly use the plastic trim remover or in this case I have used one used to remove the tire off a bicycle wheel. Use it to pull the A pillar panel towards you and push the wire in. You don't have to necessarily remove the panel, just slide the wire in there will be enough space and the panel gap will be the same after sliding it in.

The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-12.jpg
The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-5.jpg
The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-6.jpg
The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-7.jpg

STEP 3: Now remove the weather seal and it will look like this. The bottom part is the seal and the top part in the picture is just an extension to cover up the trim as below. Now this part of the seal has enough space to hide the wire.

The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-9.jpg
The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-8.jpg

Once you reach below the glove box there will be some space between the passenger side kicker panel and the glove box.

The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-10.jpg
The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-11.jpg

STEP 4: Now slide the wire under the glove box and tie to some existing solid wires using zip-ties. In some cars there maybe grooves where you can seat the wire comfortably

The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-13.jpg

Now I chose to tuck the wire from the charger between the center console top and bottom panels.

The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-14.jpg

STEP 5: Now if there is excess wire left you can push it under the gearbox panel. Green arrows indicate to pull the bottom of the panel towards you, pull it gently enough space to slide the wire inside(red arrow).

The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-15.jpg

FINAL STEP: Ensure the dashcam works!!!

The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-19.jpg

The view from driver seat:

The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-17.jpg

The View from outside:

The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-18.jpg

Important points:

* Ensure that the wire is not caught between the edges of the trim.
* Ensure there is adequate amount of slack at both ends of the wire i.e. dash cam and charger.
* Do not force the wire in if there is resistance, 99.9% there won't be.
* Ensure you fix the weather seal back properly. Other wise you might have leaks during rains.

TIME TAKEN FOR THE WORK: 20 minutes

Hope this post is of use.
Attached Thumbnails
The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-4.jpg  

Last edited by Shanksta : 13th August 2015 at 19:14.
Shanksta is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 14th August 2015, 13:33   #272
Senior - BHPian

Re: Concealing Dashcam Wires: GUIDE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanksta View Post
I am going to mention a step by step procedure on concealing your dashcam wires, routing it through the co-passenger side.
Wonderful, Shanksta. Many thanks for explaining the step by step procedure on installing the dashcam and routing the wires. Now the million dollar question, please let us know about the deal on Snapdeal. If still available I would also like to grab one and install it in my Innova.

Also would appreciate if you can share with us the specs of the dashcam.
AutoIndian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2015, 13:50   #273
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
Also would appreciate if you can share with us the specs of the dashcam.
It seems that you are not following this thread. Click here to know the specs and the pictures of dash cam.

Last edited by Grand Drive : 14th August 2015 at 13:57.
Grand Drive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2015, 14:02   #274
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grand Drive View Post
It seems that you are not following this thread. Click here to know the specs and the pictures of dash cam.
Thank for sharing the post Grand Drive. Indeed I was not following this particular thread and only when Shanksta posted about his installation guide link in my ownership thread I came to know about this. All my queries have been answered now
Old 15th August 2015, 10:08   #275
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread

Folks, was able to route the cable for dashcam. Link for the same from my ownership thread.

Actually I was thinking it would be a tedious job, but end of the day it was an easy job.
Old 15th August 2015, 12:08   #276
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by latentpotential View Post
My Dashcam Time.

I bought a Chinese dash-cam from Aliexpress. Costed me approximately 7000 including customs duty.
Can you please provide a link or name of the dash cam purchased?
Old 15th August 2015, 16:03   #277
BHPian

Hi,

Just now managed to ruin my perfectly running SJCAM4000, after somehow paying heed to my itch to get an upgrade on the S/W.

Now, I don't know where I screwed up, but have a dashcam which does not show any display, so dont know what is happening.

This one had 170 degrees view, HD and was of very good quality, had purchased it when I was in Singapore.

Now it seems I have no other option but to buy a new one, the SJCAM online help is practically useless, sadly saw many such users having the same problem, how I wish I had seen this yesterday.. costly mistake.

Please suggest some other readily available options, not interested in anything which has less camera angle.

Regards
Shailesh
Old 15th August 2015, 17:14   #278
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanksta View Post
I am going to mention a step by step procedure ...

That's a nice DIY on Innova Shanksta. Thanks for sharing. I am thinking of it now.

Also, I wanted to ask you a couple of things:
1. Which is this 12V Socket on the left? Looks nice. Does it have a illumination ring around it for night use? I plan to get one like that.

2. What is that switch you put in there besides this socket, what is it for? Just being curious. I don't know and didn't search if you already mentioned somewhere.
parsh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th August 2015, 18:05   #279
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by parsh View Post
That's a nice DIY on Innova Shanksta. Thanks for sharing. I am thinking of it now.

1. Which is this 12V Socket on the left? Looks nice. Does it have a illumination ring around it for night use? I plan to get one like that.

2. What is that switch you put in there besides this socket, what is it for? Just being curious. I don't know and didn't search if you already mentioned somewhere.
Thank you !

1. The 12V socket on the left is an aftermarket one made by XENOS, costed Rs. 300. The orange ring around it is not illuminated, it was just added to ensure a snug fit for the socket.

2. The Black switch next to it is to turn on the interior foot-well illumination manually. Otherwise it comes on while opening the door. The other black switch on the right is to toggle between the OEM horn and roots.
Shanksta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th August 2015, 20:09   #280
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aspire View Post
Hi,

Just now managed to ruin my perfectly running SJCAM4000, after somehow paying heed to my itch to get an upgrade on the S/W.

Regards
Shailesh
Hi,

Please ignore, somehow managed to get back the old version, then the upgrade worked!

Regards
Shailesh
Old 15th August 2015, 21:30   #281
Senior - BHPian

The Blaupunkt seems awesome but just wanted to check - has anyone used SJ4000 as well? http://dashcamera.co.in/products/sjc...m-sj4000-wifi/ looks nice but is 80$ from AliExpress. Is it worth the hassle or should I stick to blaupunkt? Its camera quality seems very decent to me.
Old 16th August 2015, 00:02   #282
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
The Blaupunkt seems awesome but just wanted to check - has anyone used SJ4000 as well? http://dashcamera.co.in/products/sjc...m-sj4000-wifi/ looks nice but is 80$ from AliExpress. Is it worth the hassle or should I stick to blaupunkt? Its camera quality seems very decent to me.
I haven't got or even set eyes on a SJ4000. However I do have the Blaupunkt 2.0, which I bought incidentally 3 days back.

Based on the specs etc available for SJ4000 wifi, it has two clear advantages over Blaupunkt - a wider coverage angle & the ability to download the videos to your mobile on-the-fly with a free app. Blaupunkt 2.0 has only 120° of coverage. This is not enough for me (again purely a personal taste) to catch all the action that happens around me on the Bangalore roads. So I am getting a SJCAM real soon. Will it be the 5000+ of the 4000 wifi is what I'm stuck with.

The 2.0 gives you max bang for the buck at 2020 INR provided you are not obsessed with the coverage provided.
vinjosep is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th August 2015, 13:25   #283
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTeacher View Post
Can you please provide a link or name of the dash cam purchased?
This is what I bought:

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Car-R...429642173.html

There are descriptive pictures towards the bottom of the page.

Will be buying a few more of this soon.

One more that I might be picking up is:

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Full-...224124791.html

This is an Android powered one.
latentpotential is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2015, 14:27   #284
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by latentpotential View Post
This is what I bought
Thank you very much! Would it be possible to share video clips from this dashcam? I'd rather trust a user than something on the seller's site. A sample video day and one for night would be very helpful.
Old 16th August 2015, 19:21   #285
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aspire View Post
Hi,

Now, I don't know where I screwed up, but have a dashcam which does not show any display, so dont know what is happening.

This one had 170 degrees view, HD and was of very good quality, had purchased it when I was in Singapore.

Now it seems I have no other option but to buy a new one, the SJCAM online help is practically useless, sadly saw many such users having the same problem, how I wish I had seen this yesterday.. costly mistake.

Please suggest some other readily available options, not interested in anything which has less camera angle.

Regards
Shailesh
You seem to have applied the wrong patch. There are two versions of software for SJ4000 depending on the type of display (visually they are the same but are of different make). Hope this site helps - http://actioncamfaq.com/2014/04/03/s...-cam-firmware/

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
I have used both and feel that the SJ4000 is better for its video quality. It has better quality videos both during the day and night. It also has a wider angle of coverage and also has more settings that can be controlled. However, the build quality of SJ4000 (at least the earlier ones) really sucks. You have to be very careful while connecting the micro USB cable. In my cam, the USB plug of the camera just broke off. The build quality of Blaupunkt is much better.
pjbiju is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks