Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 5th September 2014, 08:58   #19096
Distinguished - BHPian
 
phamilyman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 5,581
Thanked: 3,242 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbppjpr View Post
Waited for whole day long and not even a whisper about the launch.

Finally my relative, who is looking for a new phone, told me to get any other phone under 18K so we went in the market. Grand 2, HTC 700 and Xperia C were the close contenders. But all of them looked way inferior against Moto G2. None of the phone comes with Gorilla glass which is biggest drawback in phones having such big screens. And there are other compromises also compared to the MOTO G2. This tells how inferior products are being sold by these big brands at such a big price point. And then we get heavily bloated and laggy user interface in return.

Now its being speculated that the official launch will be today on 5th of Sept. Let's see what happens today.
two options:
a. MI3 from OLX.
b. wait a day or two - has he lost/damaged his phone? moto G2 is practically here! the crappy phones will painyou for a couple of years. why not have patience for a day or two?
phamilyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2014, 09:14   #19097
BANNED
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: India
Posts: 581
Thanked: 458 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
two options:
a. MI3 from OLX.
b. wait a day or two - has he lost/damaged his phone? moto G2 is practically here! the crappy phones will painyou for a couple of years. why not have patience for a day or two?
After reading MI3 'spyware' news, I decided to test MIUI ROM myself on my phone to see what all the fuzz is and I myself witnessed the suspicious behavior in the ROM. Even tried hard to get rid of suspicious connections by uninstalling/freezing lot of inbuilt apps/features (many of hidden services) but it still kept connecting one or other Chinese IP. The connections could only be stopped once every inbuilt feature of the ROM got deleted/disabled. This all was happening when I didn't even set up any MI account or activated MICloud service, even didn't setup my Google account in the phone. The connections were not only 1 or 2, those were plenty.

Afterall which company will make available their user interface for other phones, who does this? Did we hear Samsung, HTC etc make their TouchWiz, Sense UI available in the open market, that too at free of cost? There is a bad smell coming out of this brand.

I know people will question that Google also knows everything about us and invades pour privacy and our personal data. But one thing is for sure, it doesn't do without accepting permission request. I myself checked the other normal ROMs and few of the familiar connections were being established in them, nothing was suspicious.

Now I would stay away from this 'Chinese weapon' thrown in our country and will play extra careful when it comes about buying Chinese mobile devices. Even if its not a spyware weapon and only anonymous information is at compromise, why the hell I should make my data available to China which is not any less dangerous than our west side neighbor for our country? Unfortunately govt is sleeping and not paying any attention on scrutinizing foreign items entering in our country.

And about being patient, there are people who get impatient when they decide to buy something new and my relative was too hard to convince to even wait till today. So we have got grace period of only today and he will become out of control by the evening. So need to finalize something before evening

Last edited by tbppjpr : 5th September 2014 at 09:41.
tbppjpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2014, 10:30   #19098
Senior - BHPian
 
ajay_satpute's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Pune
Posts: 1,778
Thanked: 1,301 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbppjpr View Post
And about being patient, there are people who get impatient when they decide to buy something new and my relative was too hard to convince to even wait till today. So we have got grace period of only today and he will become out of control by the evening. So need to finalize something before evening
This article published 1 hour ago says the event is going to happen today in Delhi. http://tech.firstpost.com/news-analy...ed-232480.html

Hope for the best !
ajay_satpute is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2014, 11:49   #19099
Distinguished - BHPian
 
phamilyman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 5,581
Thanked: 3,242 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbppjpr View Post
After reading MI3 'spyware' news, I decided to test MIUI ROM myself on my phone to see what all the fuzz is and I myself witnessed the suspicious behavior in the ROM. Even tried hard to get rid of suspicious connections by uninstalling/freezing lot of inbuilt apps/features (many of hidden services) but it still kept connecting one or other Chinese IP. The connections could only be stopped once every inbuilt feature of the ROM got deleted/disabled. This all was happening when I didn't even set up any MI account or activated MICloud service, even didn't setup my Google account in the phone. The connections were not only 1 or 2, those were plenty.

Afterall which company will make available their user interface for other phones, who does this? Did we hear Samsung, HTC etc make their TouchWiz, Sense UI available in the open market, that too at free of cost? There is a bad smell coming out of this brand.

I know people will question that Google also knows everything about us and invades pour privacy and our personal data. But one thing is for sure, it doesn't do without accepting permission request. I myself checked the other normal ROMs and few of the familiar connections were being established in them, nothing was suspicious.

Now I would stay away from this 'Chinese weapon' thrown in our country and will play extra careful when it comes about buying Chinese mobile devices. Even if its not a spyware weapon and only anonymous information is at compromise, why the hell I should make my data available to China which is not any less dangerous than our west side neighbor for our country? Unfortunately govt is sleeping and not paying any attention on scrutinizing foreign items entering in our country.

And about being patient, there are people who get impatient when they decide to buy something new and my relative was too hard to convince to even wait till today. So we have got grace period of only today and he will become out of control by the evening. So need to finalize something before evening
So basically as long as MIUI ROMs don't connect to chinese servers but US servers, all is well?

I disagree with your assessment but I do recognize your fear. Now there are two things.
a. You can buy a crappier phone out of your fear.
b. You can buy the MI3 and put another ROM on it if you have the time/energy.

Look at HTC desire 816. Nice phone it is. very premium for the price.
phamilyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2014, 12:50   #19100
BANNED
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: India
Posts: 581
Thanked: 458 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Finally launched and Moto X is just has got few mind blowing upgrades like optical zoom that too without putting any bulky protruded lenses on the slim body. Though the phone will be launched later this month.

Anyways, our current hunt stops at Moto G which will be priced at 12,999/- for 16GB as per this live blog :
http://gadgets.ndtv.com/mobiles/news...i-india-587110

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
So basically as long as MIUI ROMs don't connect to chinese servers but US servers, all is well?

I disagree with your assessment but I do recognize your fear. Now there are two things.
You didn't get the point in my post. I have cleared my thoughts on data sharing at US servers. Actual suspiciousness lies in plenty of connections established without asking user for permissions. And such number of connections can not be way to send just anonymous data.

Quote:
a. You can buy a crappier phone out of your fear.
No need for that as far as phones like Motorola are available at such price point

Quote:
b. You can buy the MI3 and put another ROM on it if you have the time/energy.
Would it had been for me then it could have been an option but the phone in subject is for an layman user who will be apprehensive about such things. I know that MI is okay with rooting etc but still you know how people can be about tempering their newly bought assets. Even if I talk about myself, there is nothing in the MI phones except the MIUI ROM which attracts me over likes of today's Moto launches and announcements.

Quote:
Look at HTC desire 816. Nice phone it is. very premium for the price.
Yeah, heard lot of good about it, whats the price of it? Budget here is less than 18K.

EDIT :
Just searched and found 816 to be priced at 23,290 at Flikart. It doesn't even have Gorilla Glass.
Well now again I may be on gunpoint that the Gorilla Glass isn't that important but then thats just me. I know for the matter from personal experience that how important the Gorilla Glass is, especially when screen size become bigger in a handheld device.

Last edited by tbppjpr : 5th September 2014 at 13:01.
tbppjpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2014, 12:53   #19101
Senior - BHPian
 
fiat_tarun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Pune / Mysore
Posts: 1,092
Thanked: 552 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

http://gadgets.ndtv.com/mobiles/news...s-12999-587154

Moto G (updated) has been officially launched at 12999/- for the 16gb variant !! Updates include a bigger 5" display, 8mp camera and an external SD card slot. Sales start at midnight tonight on flipkart.

Super pricing !

Last edited by fiat_tarun : 5th September 2014 at 13:03.
fiat_tarun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2014, 14:33   #19102
Senior - BHPian
 
DCEite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: NCR
Posts: 3,015
Thanked: 441 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiat_tarun View Post
http://gadgets.ndtv.com/mobiles/news...s-12999-587154

Moto G (updated) has been officially launched at 12999/- for the 16gb variant !! Updates include a bigger 5" display, 8mp camera and an external SD card slot. Sales start at midnight tonight on flipkart.

Super pricing !
The Flipkart website mentions "Launch day offers" but does not specify the exact offers.

Any idea what the launch day offers would be with the MotoG2 ?
DCEite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2014, 14:59   #19103
Senior - BHPian
 
harry10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Faridabad/Delhi
Posts: 2,214
Thanked: 533 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post

The Flipkart website mentions "Launch day offers" but does not specify the exact offers.

Any idea what the launch day offers would be with the MotoG2 ?
Going by their trend it should be phone cover and a screen guard.
harry10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2014, 15:22   #19104
Distinguished - BHPian
 
phamilyman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 5,581
Thanked: 3,242 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbppjpr View Post
Would it had been for me then it could have been an option but the phone in subject is for an layman user who will be apprehensive about such things. I know that MI is okay with rooting etc but still you know how people can be about tempering their newly bought assets. Even if I talk about myself, there is nothing in the MI phones except the MIUI ROM which attracts me over likes of today's Moto launches and announcements.


Yeah, heard lot of good about it, whats the price of it? Budget here is less than 18K
Yes, but IMHO desire 816 is quite nice for what its worth - 22.6k isnt too much above 18k. Worth a look atleast. Phones are a heart purchase, not just a data purchase.

On a price basis, ideal if one can wait is redmi1s which has lot of hardware similar to desire 816 - would be ideal to put a CM types ROM on it and watch it fly. I feel MIUI is bloaty. Its not laggy like Samsung TouchWiz but I only see 100-150 MB free on my S3 though the phone remains quite snappy.

my defy got rooted/ROMed on third day. S3 (second one) got it similarly. Didn't regret it ever.
phamilyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2014, 15:46   #19105
Senior - BHPian
 
DCEite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: NCR
Posts: 3,015
Thanked: 441 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
Going by their trend it should be phone cover and a screen guard.
Thanks, that should be good.

Guys, any tips for successful purchase on day 1?

I hope the hype is not so much this time around, hoping the stocks won't go out within 1st hour or so?
DCEite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2014, 15:59   #19106
BANNED
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: India
Posts: 581
Thanked: 458 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
Thanks, that should be good.

Guys, any tips for successful purchase on day 1?

I hope the hype is not so much this time around, hoping the stocks won't go out within 1st hour or so?
Moto's case is much better than Xiaomi. Buyers atleast can book the phone in case of stock is over so no need to apply any gambling kind of trick etc.
tbppjpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2014, 16:11   #19107
BHPian
 
hrman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 875
Thanked: 296 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
Thanks, that should be good.

Guys, any tips for successful purchase on day 1?

I hope the hype is not so much this time around, hoping the stocks won't go out within 1st hour or so?
At the price it is indeed a great offering. You can sync your computer's timing to the internet timing and log in at least 15 minutes before the sale opens.
I expect it may not be as maddening as the MI3 or Redmi. They apparently have some 70000 units for sale. So it should be open for more than the 3 seconds of Xiaomi flash sales.

Unsuccessful MI3/Redmi purchasers may compete. In isolation its a VFM deal. I use a Moto G and am very happy with it. This after 3 years of Galaxy S1.
hrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2014, 16:15   #19108
BANNED
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: India
Posts: 581
Thanked: 458 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrman View Post
They apparently have some 70000 units for sale. So it should be open for more than the 3 seconds of Xiaomi flash sales.
As I mentioned in my previous post, the fear of not able to buy the phone is not with the Motorola because even if the phone gets out of stock, you can still book the phone and and it will reach to you once it comes back in the stock. Xiaomi's sale formula is kind of gambling where sale itself gets closed once stock is over and you can't even book the phone.
tbppjpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2014, 16:59   #19109
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,026
Thanked: 373 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
So basically as long as MIUI ROMs don't connect to chinese servers but US servers, all is well?
Concent is the keyword I guess.
Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post

b. You can buy the MI3 and put another ROM on it if you have the time/energy.
If manufacturer is not sharing the information how exactly you can be so sure that all the connections originate from AP and not from any-other processor on board ?

Or do you think you can do baseband and other DSP builds and sanitize the code without source code access ?


FYI Lenovo was the first company to install back-doors on the laptops and now Xiomi.

http://www.geek.com/chips/spy-agenci...dware-1563801/

Call me conspiracy theorists but I do see a possibility that it may be part of future PRISM like project from aspiring next super power. It is logical that they will try to spread out first in immediate neighbourhood and largest potential rival.

Since US controls the server assets prism was mostly server based China is controlling device manufacturing so it is logical that they will spread out the wings using device endpoints to have a robust system 5 - 10 years from now.
amitk26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2014, 18:56   #19110
Senior - BHPian
 
NetfreakBombay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Bombay
Posts: 1,375
Thanked: 315 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
If manufacturer is not sharing the information how exactly you can be so sure that all the connections originate from AP and not from any-other processor on board ?
One can run a base station and connect phone to that. This way, all traffic can be monitored and validated.

With Andoid, creation of a Femtocell is free. Exampls of a project that used this approach (and OpenBTS on Android) to connect GSM phones to CDMA.

http://www.tombom.co.uk/blog/?p=144
NetfreakBombay is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Quintessential Tablet PC Thread (Android, Apple, BB et al) vcash Gadgets, Computers & Software 1660 7th August 2017 16:25
BMW iDrive, Connected Drive & BMW Apps - Review & FAQ Thread! karan561 In-Car Entertainment 27 11th May 2017 00:39


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 18:41.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks