Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 19th March 2014, 00:28   #121
BHPian

Re: Beware 'Out of State' cars: RTO (Bangalore) taxation amendment from 28th Feb, 201

good point Shireesh.. in which case, the rest of the verbiage in the recent ammendment supercedes even court orders!

"...notwithstanding anything contained in the provisions on the Motor Vehicles Act 1988 (Central Act 59 of 1988) and in any order or direction contained in any judgement or order of any Court, tax shall be levied..."

and if you look up the Karnataka motor Vehicles Taxation Act of 1957, it gives the police the authority to stop vehicles for tax reasons -- which is in conflict with the current Bangalore police website.

All these conflicting laws, may give law enforcement the convenience of using any law that they please and deem fit for the situation.
Old 19th March 2014, 07:24   #122
Senior - BHPian

Re: Beware 'Out of State' cars: RTO (Bangalore) taxation amendment from 28th Feb, 201

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight Rider View Post
Question: I want to pay the tax for my car which is KL registered, However the registered owner is my father, Would it be easy to change the ownership in kerala and get the car re-registered here or otherwise? Has anyone done this before?
You can get the NOC in your name from your home state. No need to change the registered owner in your home state. In NOC there is field called "intend to sell". Once you produce same NOC in destination RTO, it will be transferred in your name.

I had exactly same situation and I did the same. See the form # 28 here. http://www.rtopune.info/forms/form28.pdf.

These forms are same all over India.
anujmishra is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th March 2014, 08:52   #123
BHPian

Guyz.. I see lots of comments and the causes for this. Rule is a rule, RTO officers won't even listen to anything, anyone who has or had experienced it would not deny this fact.

I have signed the online petition, and to get to 10000 signatures will take a lot of time ( it's ~400 as of now) , if this is forwarded to the commissioner, would this be taken up for review?? I do not know, so this is a genuine question from a novice in this online signature thing.

PIL, yes that's the only hope, but do we have anything moving on that? If someone knows how to do it, please let me know and I believe that there should be a group formed for this - no?, I will try and do it. I guess if I get in touch with any advocate, he might be able to help, if someone knows any ideas of how this actually works, Please suggest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ::CMS:: View Post
The seized vehicle is a pvt vehicle and the PUC was taken on Jan24th from his home town (dont remember the exact date). RTO says that they consider car had entered karnataka at that time and its more than 1month in karnataka and assuming that the car will be in bangalore for long time, so he has to pay the tax and before that they will not release it. What I heard from him that he is planning to approach court. I feel there should be a PIL filed since it condemns the karnataka high court rule related to a similar incident and violates the central motor taxation rules act. Moreover, the 30 days amendment was done on Feb28th and they seized the car even before completing the 30days period. At RTO he could meet a lot people in similar situation.
CMS what's the status of the car? It was siezed, has he got it back? if so how?

Last edited by informmaha : 19th March 2014 at 08:57.
informmaha is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th March 2014, 10:22   #124
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by informmaha View Post
Guyz.. I see lots of comments and the causes for this. Rule is a rule, RTO officers won't even listen to anything, anyone who has or had experienced it would not deny this fact.

I have signed the online petition, and to get to 10000 signatures will take a lot of time ( it's ~400 as of now) , if this is forwarded to the commissioner, would this be taken up for review?? I do not know, so this is a genuine question from a novice in this online signature thing.

PIL, yes that's the only hope, but do we have anything moving on that? If someone knows how to do it, please let me know and I believe that there should be a group formed for this - no?, I will try and do it. I guess if I get in touch with any advocate, he might be able to help, if someone knows any ideas of how this actually works, Please suggest.

CMS what's the status of the car? It was siezed, has he got it back? if so how?

I am happy to sign the petition along with a few others - how do we do it?
Old 19th March 2014, 11:19   #125
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ff1609 View Post
I am happy to sign the petition along with a few others - how do we do it?
Please find the link.

https://www.change.org/en-IN/petitio...s-in-karnataka
swiftnfurious is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th March 2014, 11:21   #126
BHPian

Me too. where can I sign that petition?
Old 19th March 2014, 12:19   #127
BHPian

Just a question. Has someone or someone known to fellow members become a victim of the "1" month rule ? I have my toll receipts from November and if caught I can produce those that I am in here temporarily. However , is this rule really being implemented ?

Reading the posts so far , do the cops go after states where taxes are lesser than KA ? The most people who were caught are from TN or KL.
PY sure has cars cheaper since its a Union territory but then people buy a car there and then pay little tax. This attracts cops.

Cops are there everywhere these days but mostly their impression is out state vehicles , things to check
1) Seat belt
2) Speed
3) Dark , really dark films.
4) Attitude (some folk display a sort of over-confidence of not being local and then show that in their driving. Trust me cops can make that out.
This also leads to law-breaking such as jumping lights and going up one ways. This often leads folk to get caught since they stand out in the crowd.
Old 19th March 2014, 12:31   #128
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddjango View Post
The inspector told me to come to Bannerghatta office. The stamp on the receipt says Electronic city RTO. Probably the only reason he took my documents is because I actually showed him the documents, toll receipts, PUC etc...
Also I tried telling him that I had been there just for 5 days and not 30 days, which is required. This for some reason pissed him off and he Made me wait for one hour saying he will talk to me later. He also told me to go to court and prove all that and he is least bothered about my proofs. I tried telling him that I was leaving the next day to get the car back to trivandrum.
maddjango, any further update?
Old 19th March 2014, 14:20   #129
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambivalent_98 View Post
Just a question. Has someone or someone known to fellow members become a victim of the "1" month rule ? I have my toll receipts from November and if caught I can produce those that I am in here temporarily. However , is this rule really being implemented ?...
All the below, in case you get stopped.

If I may suggest, please keep one or two xerox copies of all the toll receipts and also activate your mobile cam and keep it pocket so that you could shoot your conversation with the inspectors, candidly.

In case something goes wrong and you wanna take it further, these might help you.
swiftnfurious is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th March 2014, 14:26   #130
BHPian

Posting an article from the web :

"The Transport Department has asked owners of motor vehicles registered in other States and intending to keep their vehicle in Karnataka for a period exceeding 30 days to change their address and place of business.

They were told to register in Karnataka at the jurisdictional Regional Transport Offices. The Commissioner, Transport Department, said in a release that lifetime tax should be paid by the vehicle users as specified in parts A1, A2, A4, A6, A7 and A8 of the Taxation schedule of the Karnataka Motor Vehicles Taxation Act 1957. However, the tax will be refunded in case the vehicle users move to other States."

Source -

http://www.thehindu.com/todays-paper...cle5794221.ece

PS - Though A5 is not mentioned in the press release above, it is their in the circular. A5 covers the Life Time Tax for Motor Cars, Jeeps, Omni Buses and Private Service Vehicles

Last edited by aajohn : 19th March 2014 at 14:51.
Old 19th March 2014, 17:59   #131

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddjango View Post
After he finally relented and gave me a receipt, he made another statement "you keralites are all habitual offenders and make all this receipts up. Otherwise how would you have all the documents ready". Not even for a moment did he consider that I could actually have been right. Very bad attitude from a "responsible" official.
Its unfortunate that you had to undergo lots of trouble. But RTO's statement is not surprising to me as I have seen few people who were acting smart. Due to few guys mistakes lots of people are made to pay!

Like a friend/colleague of mine in Bangalore, bought & registered a car in Kerala. To escape from the RTOs he used to keep 'fuel receipt book' of Kerala address. Which he used to fill in every 15 days! One more thing was he never stick'ed the 'parking sticker' of our office on the car. I think he continued to do this for 2-3 years before he moved out of Bangalore!
Old 20th March 2014, 12:24   #132
BHPian

With any rule, always remember that you are innocent until proven guilty.

There are a few rules that everyone should know about Bangalore.

1. The onus of proving that your vehicle has been in the state for (1 month/1 year) lies with the RTO or the cop who has stopped you. If you have a single toll receipt, fuel receipt,PUC from outside the state, you are good. If the officer cannot prove that your vehicle has been in the state for 1 month/1year, you are free to go(that is the firm stand you should take when discussing with the cop)

2. Vehicles in Bangalore cannot be stopped randomly unless you have flouted a rule.
Old 20th March 2014, 13:25   #133
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinavrm View Post

There are a few rules that everyone should know about Bangalore.

1. The onus of proving that your vehicle has been in the state for (1 month/1 year) lies with the RTO or the cop who has stopped you. If you have a single toll receipt, fuel receipt,PUC from outside the state, you are good. If the officer cannot prove that your vehicle has been in the state for 1 month/1year, you are free to go(that is the firm stand you should take when discussing with the cop)

2. Vehicles in Bangalore cannot be stopped randomly unless you have flouted a rule.
Is point number 1 a valid rule or rather you are saying that one should stand ones ground ? Point 2 also sounds good but is it officially acceptable ?
Old 20th March 2014, 14:17   #134
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdman View Post
Me too. where can I sign that petition?
Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Can I request the moderators to add the link on the thread tittle ? May be this will enable more people to sign the petition.
Old 20th March 2014, 14:30   #135
BHPian

My friend's Baleno with non-KA plate was seized and fined 60k recently. He could get the car back only after paying fine. His attempts to justify irritated them further.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinavrm View Post
But in practice, one is looked upon as guilty until proved innocent.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks