Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 9th February 2010, 12:03   #961
BHPian

Most of the Flyte owners are not satisfied with the after sales service of Mahindra, including me (I started servicing at a known local mechanic). But, it is great scooter compared to a Dio.

The negatives of Flyte are:
  • Mahindra's after sales service
  • Low ground clearance of 115mm (underbelly hits even normal speed brakers with pilion, sometimes without pilion too).
  • Mileage of around 38-40 kmpl only (some people reported even 30s)
  • 4L fuel tank.
  • Though build quality is great, not up to Honda quality. (the plastics loose their sheen very soon)
  • Initially I have seen many people reportin fuel tank leakage.
  • Though the engine is 125 cc, performance equals to a 100cc scooter only.
  • Difficult riding position if you have a pilion because of small seat.
The plus points over a Dio:
  • Front telescopic suspension gives excellent ride quality and handling
  • Easy and zippy to ride in traffic.
  • The largest boot with LED light on a scooter, which is really helpful.
  • 9 amp battery.
  • Front fuel filling.
  • Key hole shutter.
Keeping aside the negatives of Flyte, I have always enjoyed ridinig it (whenever my wife allows). After two years, it is still going good.

Headlight position in Dio is not a problem. Though it is old model, still looks supersexy due to cool graphix, and infact I loved the Dio of all the scooters in looks.

BTW, did you consider Suzuki Access? It is a better package than Flyte.

Last edited by ravi@64bhp : 9th February 2010 at 12:07.
Old 9th February 2010, 12:44   #962
BHPian

Thanks for the details Ravi, I didn't consider Access because it is above my budget.

Among the negatives you have mentioned, following worries me:

1) Low ground clearance
2) Fuel efficiency (I thought it is giving 40+, red in some review)
3) Fuel tank leakage
Old 9th February 2010, 12:56   #963
Senior - BHPian

Among all this talk about scoots has anyone test ridden the TVS Wego? I want buy one for my wifey but apart from the road tests in mags, I have no real world information.

Is it launched? As the website says coming soon ...
Old 9th February 2010, 15:01   #964
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiren.mistry View Post
Among all this talk about scoots has anyone test ridden the TVS Wego? I want buy one for my wifey but apart from the road tests in mags, I have no real world information.

Is it launched? As the website says coming soon ...
Officially Wego is launched in November. It is a pity that TVS has not sent a single scooter to any of the cities. When I enquired last week here in Hyderabad, they said it may be available in March.

As per the road test by Autocar, Bike India, and Overdrive, it makes good alternative to Activa and Aviator. Rating given 9/10.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmanu View Post
Thanks for the details Ravi, I didn't consider Access because it is above my budget.

1) Low ground clearance
3) Fuel tank leakage
Low ground clearance in fact a real worry. If riding single, this does not matter much. The real problem is when you ride with a pillion. Regarding mileage, may be the mileage is 40+ under standard riding conditions. I am sure in Bombay city, it will be near 40. Sometimes low mileage is because of richer fuel mixture. And playing with tuning is not a good idea, particularly with the mechanics at Mahindra service center.

I have not heard of leaky fuel tanks of late, but heard many when Flyte was launched initially. I guess (not proven) some leaky fuel tanks are caused due to underbelly hitting speedbrakers, and you know the fuel tank is located in the floor board and is made of rigid plastic.

If ground clearance and FE of 40 kmpl is not a matter, you can go ahead with Flyte. As I said, there have not been any leaky fuel tanks of late.

Last edited by ravi@64bhp : 9th February 2010 at 15:12.
Old 9th February 2010, 15:03   #965
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

1) Low ground clearance
3) Fuel tank leakage
Totally agree with the negatives and positives listed by Ravi for the flyte.

My dad rides a Flyte. He is happy with the front telescopic suspension so much that he says he does not feel tired even after a ride in heavy traffic over pot holed roads. He is 60 years btw. He does not ride the Activa [old shape] or the Dio in the house. He gave up riding geared bikes as well about 10 years ago. But he always complains about the lack of pick up at certain points in the Flyte [AFR issues i think] and also our tank was replaced twice in warranty due to leakage.

FE of Flyte - Best with very sane riding not crossing 40 kmph on the speedo was 38 kmpl which we got. Else its always in the 30-32 range and Kinetic/Mahindra service have not been able to fix the FE issues. Not sure if this is a problem with only our scoot [which i think is not the case as there are others who are reporting low FE]

You can also add the fuel tank capacity of 4L tops which is a pain in the wrong place. Imagine if you happen to be plagued by low FE coupled with a small tank, the number of visits to the petrol pump. Thankfully they have given front fueling and not under seat.

If its a choice between Flyte and Dio, then Dio is a safer bet if you are ok with the leading link suspension [which is not very bad but yes it is not the same as the scoots with telescopic suspension]. Ground clearance is also better than Flyte and you wont have to worry about fuel tank capacity as well.

My $$

EDIT: Headlight position of the Dio is not a problem. The spread is good and bright enough for the unlit stretches of Bangalore roads.

Last edited by abhinav.s : 9th February 2010 at 15:06.
Old 9th February 2010, 15:54   #966
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravi@64bhp View Post
As per the road test by Autocar, Bike India, and Overdrive, it makes good alternative to Activa and Aviator. Rating given 9/10.

Low ground clearance in fact a real worry. If riding single, this does not matter much. The real problem is when you ride with a pillion...

I have not heard of leaky fuel tanks of late, but heard many when Flyte was launched initially...

If ground clearance and FE of 40 kmpl is not a matter, you can go ahead with Flyte. As I said, there have not been any leaky fuel tanks of late.
Thanks Ravi, it looks like I've to accept the low ground clearance as a fact and have to learn to live with it. 40kmpl sounds reasonable for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
Totally agree with the negatives and positives listed by Ravi for the flyte.

My dad rides a Flyte. He is happy with the ...

FE of Flyte - Best with very sane riding not crossing 40 kmph on the speedo was 38 kmpl which we got....

You can also add the fuel tank capacity of 4L tops which is a pain in the wrong place...

If its a choice between Flyte and Dio, then Dio is a safer bet if you are ok with the leading link suspension [which is not very bad but yes it is not the same as the scoots with telescopic suspension]...

My $$

EDIT: Headlight position of the Dio is not a problem. The spread is good and bright enough for the unlit stretches of Bangalore roads.
Thanks for your $$, Abhinav. I'm aware that Dio will be a safer bet than Flyte, but the 20days waiting period is one of the fact which worries me.

The under seat fueling system is another head-ache for me, because I'm so used to the front fueling (bikes) for more than 12years.
Old 9th February 2010, 16:14   #967
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Ravi, it looks like I've to accept the low ground clearance as a fact and have to learn to live with it. 40kmpl sounds reasonable for me.
The under seat fueling system is another head-ache for me, because I'm so used to the front fueling (bikes) for more than 12years.
Now that you are sold to Flyte, go for it and enjoy your ride. Remember there is no prefect bike that exists.
Old 9th February 2010, 16:16   #968
JVH
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I'm aware that Dio will be a safer bet than Flyte, but the 20days waiting period is one of the fact which worries me.

The 20 days waiting period should not be a deal breaker. I received mine after 75 days

Are you sure its only 20 days? Its really a big leap from a typical 90 days waiting period.
Old 9th February 2010, 16:33   #969
Senior - BHPian

As I already written in this thread , Flyte is a good scooter minus Fuel economy,
ground clearance,small fuel tank.
I made several complaints to the service people regarding the FE but nothing great they can do to improve the FE. I get between 25-28kmpl which is far too low in this segment?
Old 9th February 2010, 16:43   #970
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mail4loys View Post
Now that you are sold to Flyte, go for it and enjoy your ride. Remember there is no prefect bike that exists.
Thanks Buddy, I think I'm sold. Will keep you updated with the progress.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVH View Post
The 20 days waiting period should not be a deal breaker. I received mine after 75 days

Are you sure its only 20 days? Its really a big leap from a typical 90 days waiting period.
It could also be a sales strategy, because what the sales paerson said was "minimum 20 days waiting for all Honda vehicles and we'll call you when your vehicle arrives".
Old 9th February 2010, 16:47   #971
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nairrk View Post
As I already written in this thread , Flyte is a good scooter minus Fuel economy,
ground clearance,small fuel tank.
I made several complaints to the service people regarding the FE but nothing great they can do to improve the FE. I get between 25-28kmpl which is far too low in this segment?
Thanks Nairrk. Fuel tank is not an issue for me because I live next to a fueling station.

Fuel efficiency below 30? of course it is far too less for any scooter. There should be some thing seriously wrong! What does the service station say about this issue?
Old 9th February 2010, 17:24   #972
Senior - BHPian

20-30 days waiting for Honda seems to be okay as compared to here(Nagpur) its still 120 days for Activa and almost similar for other models.Same is the story with Suzuki but at 60 days.Still trying to dodge the waiting periods of both vehicles.
BTW wego was supposed to arrive by mid feb but still its not...could do well amid these waiting periods.Even the site is under construction
http://tvswego.com/

Last edited by agspins : 9th February 2010 at 17:26.
Old 9th February 2010, 17:46   #973
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Nairrk. Fuel tank is not an issue for me because I live next to a fueling station.

Fuel efficiency below 30? of course it is far too less for any scooter. There should be some thing seriously wrong! What does the service station say about this issue?
+
every service I make a complaint on this FE and they assure that it will be attended but after that the situation remains same. Earlier when the scooter was introduced and marketed by Kinetic (I bought this at that time) , there was a service station near my house. However when Mahindra took over, this guy lost the job and now the nearest service station is about 37 kms away from my home hence not economical to visit them often. Anyway they are now in the process of opening a service station near my place, then I can concentrate the FE matter with them more seriously. Till then I will have to live with what I am getting now?
Old 9th February 2010, 17:58   #974
BHPian

I'm sure, Mahindra's acquisition of Kinetic will workout better for Kinetic users. So let us wait and see how Mahindra performs, I heard it is covering the market better than expected.
Old 9th February 2010, 18:49   #975
BHPian

Quote:
I'm sure, Mahindra's acquisition of Kinetic will workout better for Kinetic users. So let us wait and see how Mahindra performs, I heard it is covering the market better than expected.
I agree with you. They have revamped the website and it is really good. The quality of the bikes seems to be consistent now. But, sadly, the service part is left untouched as of now. If they can take care of the after sales, it would be big relief to the customers.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks