Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th May 2014, 10:14   #466
Senior - BHPian

Re: Hyundai Grand i10 : Official Review

1) After 1300 kms., 1 service and about 2.5 months of ownership, I have to admit that Grand i10 diesel is a very boring car to have. Very Boring.
There is no sense of occasion when I am driving, a stage or state of mind I never encountered with Baleno or even Wagon R.
Either the car is too perfect or just dumb ( or I am now getting more dumb ? ). I already am ready for change and looking at Nissan Micra ( this proposal might make my parents kick me out of home! ). Were it not for the useless Nissan operating methods of outsourcing sales and service, I was seriously contemplating Micra as a part of my garage.

Those out for buying Grand i10 ( I have diesel ), please be ready for a very dull driving experience. Celerio might be more entertaining to drive.

2) Another observation which has cropped up is that the fixed head restraint height is a bit low. IIRC, it was Hyundai which pioneered this fixed head restraint design. Really pathetic. Even Santro, which once had very generous head restraints, has fixed head restraints now. They should not have messed up with something as important as this.

3) The rear suspension seems to have a longer travel than front. My observation might be wrong, but when both the wheels are going in pothole, the front seems to hit the end of its travel, but not the rear. May be because the rear seat is empty, but somehow, that is what I felt.

4) Xcent has some improvements to ECU for a better torque curve and wastegate operating is a bit longer in duration or something like that. Can anybody shed some light on this ? Is the hardware bolt-on fit from Grand i10 and Xcent has only different software setting/tuning ?
I would like to have Xcent's ECU maps/setting/tuning for my Grand i10 diesel. Might get a bit more involving to drive then.

EDIT : ACI mentions in its review :
Quote:
However, the engine has been tweaked for use on the Xcent, with revised ECU mapping and the addition of electronic control for the turbo’s wastegate for longer sustained boost. The result is a flatter torque curve with a 13 percent improvement in torque and a 1bhp increment in power to 71bhp.
Is it possible to have the same in Grand i10 ?

5) Over inflating/higher PSI in all wheels of Grand i10 seriously affects its steering behavior. And having around 34-35 PSI all the times seems to improve the inconsistent steering feel. It does not get sorted out, but the sudden, unexpected over-assistance and extreme sudden urge for self centering is reduced when I am having 34-35 PSI rather than 36.

Last edited by aaggoswami : 6th May 2014 at 10:19.
aaggoswami is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th May 2014, 17:16   #467
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
I have to admit that Grand i10 diesel is a very boring car to have. Very Boring. There is no sense of occasion when I am driving, a stage or state of mind I never encountered with Baleno or even Wagon R. Those out for buying Grand i10 ( I have diesel ), please be ready for a very dull driving experience. Celerio might be more entertaining to drive.
Thank you - the Grand i10 kept occasionally tugging at my heartstrings, particularly in the diesel guise, and your comments serve as a reality-check.

Quote:
3) The rear suspension seems to have a longer travel than front. My observation might be wrong, but when both the wheels are going in pothole, the front seems to hit the end of its travel, but not the rear. May be because the rear seat is empty, but somehow, that is what I felt.
Is that due to the added weight of the diesel engine that the front suspension travel is reduced? Have you tried running with slightly higher tire pressure at the front compared to the rear? Maybe 1-2 psi higher in front than the rear?
Old 7th May 2014, 20:48   #468
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Either the car is too perfect or just dumb ( or I am now getting more dumb ? ). I already am ready for change and looking at Nissan Micra ( this proposal might make my parents kick me out of home! ).
Oh! I was thinking that the Grand i10 D was next to Micra D when it comes to lag-free turbo. Or is the pep of the Micra D missing due to 'the jerk-free nature of this engine'?

From the official review:
Quote:
A light touch on the accelerator is all you need to get moving. The U2 diesel's torque curve is flat as a result of which, power delivery is straight & linear. Hyundai stressed on the jerk-free nature of this engine and I have to agree. Turbo-lag is minimal and you really won't be downshifting in traffic as much as its 1.3L MJD competition. I could let the car fall to crawling speeds in 2nd gear, and then pull off effortlessly. At one point, I slowed down and executed a U turn without downshifting to 1st. This engine & turbocharger have been tuned for city driveability and it shows. Combine the lag-free nature of the diesel with the light controls (steering, gearbox, clutch) and what you end up with is an effortless urban commuter. When it comes to city driveability, the i10 diesel - along with the Micra 1.5 DCi - are hard to beat.

I'm also interested to know the realistic highway FE when compared to the tall claims of ARAI rating of ~24 kmpl and vs Amaze's.

Last edited by thoma : 7th May 2014 at 21:01.
Old 7th May 2014, 23:41   #469
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunphilip View Post
Is that due to the added weight of the diesel engine that the front suspension travel is reduced? Have you tried running with slightly higher tire pressure at the front compared to the rear? Maybe 1-2 psi higher in front than the rear?
I felt that having more air pressure in front changes the steering feel. It becomes too light with higher tyre pressure, and also the ride gets slightly bouncy.
Hence sticking to what is recommended by Hyundai, which IMO might be on higher side for FE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoma View Post
Oh! I was thinking that the Grand i10 D was next to Micra D when it comes to lag-free turbo. Or is the pep of the Micra D missing due to 'the jerk-free nature of this engine'?

I'm also interested to know the realistic highway FE when compared to the tall claims of ARAI rating of ~24 kmpl and vs Amaze's.
Micra has sharper response. Grand i10 is good till 3rd gear. Hitting 4th before 50 kmph is too much for the small motor. In Liva, one can make U turns in 2nd gear, but not so easy in Grand i10. Liva has better torque curve and more responsive engine.
Grand i10 has taller 4th and 5th ratio. 5th is taller than 5th of Innova. Helps in highway cruising, but hitting 5th before 70 kmph makes the car lethargic.
The gap between 3rd and 4th is too much IMO. At 1500 rpm in 4th, the car wont gather speed the way Micra does or even Liva does. My real day to day problem is constant shifting between 3rd and 4th.

The power delivery is linear, but the intensity and sharpness, rather crispness that I was expecting is missing. Simply put, in 4th and 5th below 2000 rpm the car is lethargic. First three gears help in city driving, but the car is not as quick to close a gap as Micra or even Fiesta 1.4 diesel.

I am yet to check FE as the car has only done 1300 kms. Have to admit that engine is not as free revving as Micra. I hope that over a period of time, the engine would really open up further.
As of now, even a rather crude motor of Innova seems more free revving throughout the revv range than Grand i10.

Let me see till 2K kms if things change. I will also now use throttle a bit more than my usual light foot driving till date in city driving conditions.
aaggoswami is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th May 2014, 10:41   #470
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The gap between 3rd and 4th is too much IMO. At 1500 rpm in 4th, the car wont gather speed the way Micra does or even Liva does. My real day to day problem is constant shifting between 3rd and 4th.

Simply put, in 4th and 5th below 2000 rpm the car is lethargic. First three gears help in city driving, but the car is not as quick to close a gap as Micra or even Fiesta 1.4 diesel.
Now, you have put down specifics, things are more clear; thanks.

The least-strain shifting pattern on the Micra D is 3rd gear at 30kmph, 4th at 40kmph and 5th at 60kmph. To top it, 3rd and 4th can be stretched either way and any time you press the pedal, you zoom past. Plus, you can use 2nd from even a standstill. But above ~120, there is no punch till the max of 140.
thoma is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th May 2014, 02:14   #471
Senior - BHPian

When I took delivery and drove my Grand i10 the first time I absolutely hated the steering feel. It was too light and too imprecise. The only logical solution was to drive straight to a tyre upgrade store and replace the 165/65 R14 tyres with 185/60 R14 Yokohama Earth1 tyres.

Hyundai Grand i10 : Official Review-dsc_0076.jpg

The steering weight has considerably improved and although at dead straight position it feels light to use, when the car gains speed / at turns, it weighs up exceptionally well offering tremendous feedback. A highly recommended upgrade for Grand i10 owners.
S2!!! is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 9th May 2014, 13:59   #472
BHPian

Took the delivery of Grand i10 Asta [O] diesel in the first week of April; crossed a month now and covered 3600kms so far including a trip to Goa (Chennai – Murdeshwar – Goa – Chennai). Surprised to have received an average of 21.1kmpl with 100% AC in this trip (Tank full method). Overall I’m happy with the choice I have made.

As aagosaami rightly said, it’s not for someone who likes spirited driving. I have upgraded from an Alto; so for my standards, performance is much better and engine feels much more responsive. Can maintain 110 all day without sweat.

Excellent NVH and cabin insulation; muted cabin even at 3 digit speed
Fuel economy
Feel good features (start stop button, auto folding mirrors etc)

Dislikes:
Blower is slightly noisy in 2 and above
Dashboard is placed higher. I’m 5.6 (seat height adjust helps here)
Not a Punto or Figo in terms of steering response. But miles ahead of Alto.
Indicruz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th May 2014, 14:41   #473
Senior - BHPian

Hyundai Grand i10 : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by S2!!! View Post
When I took delivery and drove my Grand i10 the first time I absolutely hated the steering feel. It was too light and too imprecise. The only logical solution was to drive straight to a tyre upgrade store and replace the 165/65 R14 tyres with 185/60 R14 Yokohama Earth1 tyres.

Attachment 1238616

The steering weight has considerably improved and although at dead straight position it feels light to use, when the car gains speed / at turns, it weighs up exceptionally well offering tremendous feedback. A highly recommended upgrade for Grand i10 owners.

Well done on the tyre upgrade. I guess that the 185/60 will be safer on the highways. Will the tyre upgrade not cause any speedo errors? Have you noticed?
How is the stability on the highway?

Last edited by Arjun Reddy : 9th May 2014 at 14:46.
Arjun Reddy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th May 2014, 21:12   #474
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
1) After 1300 kms., 1 service and about 2.5 months of ownership, I have to admit that Grand i10 diesel is a very boring car to have. Very Boring.
Having myself driven Grand i10 and Xcent diesel a couple of times, i agree with you on the boring part. Infact that was my first impression as well. I felt a certain disconnect between the driver and the car - the kind of which is not felt when driving other cars. Maybe its the slow acceleration.

But as a point A to point B car, the diesel Grand/XCent can't be beaten. The feel good factor of the cabin, the rich feature list and low NVH levels are all factors that are hard to ignore.

I myself booked an Xcent, though a petrol one. The Petrol drives much better than the diesel for obvious reasons, and i don't think that one should go for diesel versions of these cars unless and until the monthly running is very very high.
DCEite is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 9th May 2014, 23:40   #475
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjun Reddy View Post
Well done on the tyre upgrade. I guess that the 185/60 will be safer on the highways. Will the tyre upgrade not cause any speedo errors? Have you noticed?
How is the stability on the highway?
The speedo error will be +1.3% which is well within the safe zone. I used this website to understand the correct upsize.

The car has not had a single highway run yet but taking curves at relatively higher speeds is quite confidence inspiring, and the tyres do feel very grippy. When compared to Michelin XM2s from my Ritz, these Yokohama Earth 1s are not as quiet but when it comes to everything else I could hardly find a reason to pay a premium for Michelins over these.
S2!!! is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th May 2014, 00:18   #476

Mod Note : Please avoid typing with excessive dots.........like................this. Thanks

Growing from a Zen Petrol to Grand I10 Petrol, observed the following over 2.5k Kms and a round of service.

1) Low torque in lower gears. Really got to floor the accelerator to be first at the junction lights...

2) WORST THING. Got the battery out after parking for two days... cant imagine the embarrassment of pushing a month old car in the parking lot of the apartment!!! Should have followed this thread more often to know the update to be done.

3) Soft Suspension - Can relate to the bouncy suspension Hyundai is associated with. I feel Zen being a small car had more mature drive

4) Clutch - the 85k run Zen had enough play to let me pressure at my pleasure, but grand is crisp! a thing i have got used to.

5) Brakes - the bite as described by many users is surely there. The worst part is when urgent braking is required, it is as if the brakes don't bite for long and then bites, lurching the car.

6) Mileage - Have started to file reimbursement with my employer. A tankful and Zen never complained for more for the next 15 - 20 days, Grand I10 is more demanding!!!

Otherwise the car rules. Had been doing weekly outings, 300 - 400 kms .... no issues.. but battery issue is really scary!

Thanks Guys

Last edited by GTO : 13th May 2014 at 16:48. Reason: 2 smileys per post only....
renjithgn is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th May 2014, 14:12   #477
BHPian

Grand i10 bags a four star in EuroNCAP

Hyundai Grand i10 : Official Review-i10_euroncap_crashtest.png

Source: http://www.euroncap.com/results/hyundai/i10/545.aspx
groom is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th May 2014, 14:50   #478
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by renjithgn View Post
4) Clutch - the 85k run Zen had enough play to let me pressure at my pleasure, but grand is crisp! a thing i have got used to.
Didn't quite get the Clutch part. Can you please elaborate a bit more?
Old 14th May 2014, 15:55   #479
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by groom View Post
Grand i10 bags a four star in EuroNCAP

Attachment 1240710

Source: http://www.euroncap.com/results/hyundai/i10/545.aspx

amolbh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2014, 16:00   #480
BHPian

Guys with i10 Grand - I have a question. Its my day 2 with the new Grand i10 Sportz and I noticed that the boot is not getting locked if I lock using the central locking system by using the key.

Is there any way the boot can be locked? Otherwise outsiders can have free access to the car from the boot if it is parked! Any pointers are welcome.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks