Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd November 2012, 13:50   #5401
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINI View Post
Did your car come pre-configured with these features??Does your car make a noise when locked/unlocked??
mine is april 2012 model, yes it came with all pre-configured functions.

No my car does not make noise while unlocking/locking. Most of us prefer it that way as the noise element use to notify the lock-unlock is the single pulse horn which is pretty noisy. But if you prefer you can get it enabled.

Most useful feature to check is speed sensitive door lock
newtonMeter is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th November 2012, 19:21   #5402

Hey, guys! Newbie here!

Ok, after breaking our heads for almost over a week, visiting car showrooms and testing the vehicles, my father and me have finally decided to go for the Vento Highline. The Honda City V MT was our direct rival to the Vento but we were in favour of the Vento, period. The problem we are facing now is whether to opt for a diesel or a petrol after ruling out the City.

I know the most obvious response I will be getting for the next statement I make. The car will only be run for around 10,000km/yr.

Now, the factors to be considered:

1. Majority of the driving will easily be within the city. Outstation trips are very rare. Also, we live in Mysore so traffic is ALWAYS smooth-flowing.
2. My father will be using the car almost always.
3. The car will be in our possession for a very long time. I mean VERY LONG. Father isn't into changing cars very often.
4. Fuel efficiency is of utmost priority for him. A-S-S comes second on the list.
5. Since my father is well past his good years, the car won't be pushed to its limits or anything. Very light-footed driving.

To help simplify our complication, I made a general calculation only on fuel savings between the petrol and diesel. The diesel turned out to have an almost 50% saving over the petrol.
The problem is that I have no clue as to what the other aspects are which have to be considered when choosing between the two.

As of now, the diesel seems to make more sense to me because the car will be kept for long, has better fuel economy, better resale value and also similar servicing costs when compared to the petrol albeit the spares are a slightly different matter. Could someone actually tell me what the percentage difference is between the two when it comes to spares?

After all the calculations for cost, discounts, accessories and what not, the on-road prices we got were:

Petrol - Rs.10.70L
Diesel - Rs.11.99L

My father has been having a really tough time making this decision! He asked me to give him an answer by tonight because he is very eager to book the car tomorrow itself!

Please help, guys?
Old 27th November 2012, 21:09   #5403
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by freddy_t View Post
Hey, guys! Newbie here!

Please help, guys?
Okay first of all the price of the Diesel variant seems to be higher by atleast 50k.

10k kms a month means you will end up doing 800+ kms a month.This is the borderline IMHO.Vento Diesel owners in Metros have reported mileage of 14-15!!So it would be reasonable to expect a mileage of 16 in Mysore city.I highly doubt if the MPI Petrol unit of the Vento can match that.Taking all these factors into consideration,I suggest you go for the Diesel.

Hope this helps!!
Cheers

PS:Also remember the MPI unit of the petrol is being phased out worldwide.
Old 27th November 2012, 21:21   #5404
gemi_kk

Quote:
I know the most obvious response I will be getting for the next statement I make. The car will only be run for around 10,000km/yr.

4. Fuel efficiency is of utmost priority for him. A-S-S comes second on the list.
5. Since my father is well past his good years, the car won't be pushed to its limits or anything. Very light-footed driving.

To help simplify our complication, I made a general calculation only on fuel savings between the petrol and diesel. The diesel turned out to have an almost 50% saving over the petrol.
The problem is that I have no clue as to what the other aspects are which have to be considered when choosing between the two.

After all the calculations for cost, discounts, accessories and what not, the on-road prices we got were:

Petrol - Rs.10.70L
Diesel - Rs.11.99L
As you are running hardly 10000 KM, Petrol would be the correct choice. You can get much better discounts on petrol cars as the car market has migrated to diesels. Resale is not an issue as you are planning to use the car for many years. Petrols reliability is a bit better too.

Break even comes at 30k kms if you buy a diesel. In your case, it would be 3 years. So you would be paying more for the car initially and you will reap the actual benifits after 3 years. The initial excess amount you have spent while buying the car, a diesel is > 1.3 Lakh. If you invest this amount in bank for 3 years, you would be having around 175000 after 3 years @ bank interest rates.

i hope you know that Diesel engines are more complicated than petrols. Servicing cost is a bit costly affair for diesels. Also there are more parts in Diesels, so probability of braking down is again more.

The difference between petrol and diesel is 25/- and your interest earned on (Diesel car cost- petrol car cost) 1.3Lakh will be 975. With this amount you can buy 40 liters of petrol @ the cost of diesel which would be equal to 14KMpl*40 = 560 KM. for rest of the km's clocked, you pay the petrol price. in your case it would be say another 200 KM. note that, the 1.3 L will be yours any time.

You would be in profit, if either Tax on diesel cars is increased or if the price of diesel is de regulated. Ofcourse, no one can say if the prices of petrol goes up again. but, the chances are less.
my 2 cents.

Last edited by gemi_kk : 27th November 2012 at 21:25. Reason: adding value

Old 27th November 2012, 21:50   #5405

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINI View Post
Okay first of all the price of the Diesel variant seems to be higher by atleast 50k.
Higher by 50k? How could that be possible?!

Quote:
10k kms a month means you will end up doing 800+ kms a month.This is the borderline IMHO.Vento Diesel owners in Metros have reported mileage of 14-15!!So it would be reasonable to expect a mileage of 16 in Mysore city.I highly doubt if the MPI Petrol unit of the Vento can match that.Taking all these factors into consideration,I suggest you go for the Diesel.
This does help but what about spare parts? Any idea on that?

Quote:
PS:Also remember the MPI unit of the petrol is being phased out worldwide.
Being phased out? By when? Could that actually prove to be a very serious issue later on?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemi_kk View Post
As you are running hardly 10000 KM, Petrol would be the correct choice. You can get much better discounts on petrol cars as the car market has migrated to diesels.
Discounts are out of the question. That's the best offer that the SA could give us!

Quote:
Petrols reliability is a bit better too.
I've heard that petrol engines need a lot more care after 1L km whereas diesels will run strong even after 2L or 3L km. Any clue regarding this?

Quote:
Break even comes at 30k kms if you buy a diesel. In your case, it would be 3 years. So you would be paying more for the car initially and you will reap the actual benifits after 3 years. The initial excess amount you have spent while buying the car, a diesel is > 1.3 Lakh. If you invest this amount in bank for 3 years, you would be having around 175000 after 3 years @ bank interest rates.
My father doesn't plan to actually invest the extra amount. That's what he told me when I asked him about this before. So I don't think this can be considered though it does make a lot of sense.

Quote:
i hope you know that Diesel engines are more complicated than petrols. Servicing cost is a bit costly affair for diesels. Also there are more parts in Diesels, so probability of braking down is again more.
So far, in the forum, I've read that the owners of diesel Ventos are paying something between 7k-10k for services. And none of the diesel owners have actually reported anything serious happening to their vehicles!
The SA, for that matter, told me that the amount for the petrol Vento would be 10k when I asked him to be honest with me!
Old 27th November 2012, 21:55   #5406
Senior - BHPian

freddy I have a Petrol Vento (the AT model) and I get about 10 kmpl in Bangalore city. If I leave office a bit late (after 8pm), I have seen upto 15 on the console depending upon traffic (driving distaince is about 6KM)

I guess you can expect about 10-11 in Mysore or even 12 (will depend upon traffic in your area). I guess for your kind of running Petrol could make more sense. As you said the diesel engine rush is not the kind of thing your father is looking at, also the OTR diff is big (1.3L). If you are taking a loan that means extra every month towards EMIs. So even if you have to take 1L loan extra, assuming for 3 year loan, that would mean extra outlay of about 3300 per month. You could buy petrol to run 500km with that amount.

I think all other things should be same. By the way you said you are looking at long term ownership. How are the VW dealerships in your area? Important criteria while taking this decision if you ask me! Otherwise the trusted straight 'H' is the only option. Or else even the Fluidic Verna if City didnt impress you.
Old 27th November 2012, 22:15   #5407
BHPian

If A.s.s is priority then stay away from vw / skoda as of now. Trusted manufacturers : Maruti , Hyundai, Toyota , Honda ( in order of merit)

Petrol sedan makes sense for you. My choice would be verna and the city.
Old 27th November 2012, 22:17   #5408

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
I guess you can expect about 10-11 in Mysore or even 12 (will depend upon traffic in your area).
Traffic is never an issue. Our house is situated on the outskirts, just off the Mysore-Coorg highway so it's always one straight road into the city.

Quote:
I guess for your kind of running Petrol could make more sense. As you said the diesel engine rush is not the kind of thing your father is looking at
Agreed, the rush wouldn't make a difference to him but the fuel efficiency definitely will right?

Quote:
also the OTR diff is big (1.3L). If you are taking a loan that means extra every month towards EMIs.
We won't be taking any loan. Full payment upfront.

Quote:
I think all other things should be same. By the way you said you are looking at long term ownership. How are the VW dealerships in your area? Important criteria while taking this decision if you ask me!
Yes, I still have to find out about the lone VW dealership in the city. I happened to find another Vento owner in the area so plan to ask him for his opinion.

Quote:
Otherwise the trusted straight 'H' is the only option. Or else even the Fluidic Verna if City didnt impress you.
We were impressed with the City but my father and me are very biased towards the Germans. We prefer German cars any day! However, if we are to receive negative opinions regarding servicing, I think we'll be jumping back to Honda!
And the Verna? Hate that car! Dad didn't like it much too. And the rear seat was too low for mum according to what she said so had to consider that.
Old 28th November 2012, 09:56   #5409
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by freddy_t
Hey, guys! Newbie here!

Ok, after breaking our heads for almost over a week, visiting car showrooms and testing the vehicles, my father and me have finally decided to go for the Vento Highline. The Honda City V MT was our direct rival to the Vento but we were in favour of the Vento, period. The problem we are facing now is whether to opt for a diesel or a petrol after ruling out the City.

Please help, guys?
Your Running is borderline in my opinion. A little increase in diesel price would make diesel car purchase futile. But as the petrol prices could go up the roof, that could be an expensive proposition.

Also, you seem to be very concerned about after sales support. In that case, i would suggest you to get the hell out of the VW shop. Show the horror stories of the vw owners on team-bhp to your father. He will understand the problem with VW service.

In petrol sedans, the undisputed winner has to be the City. It is a better product than the Vento and has great after sales support.
The Japenese cars have exemplary reliability.
I sold a honda city after 7.5 years with no problem at all. It was still running like a dream. Hassle -free

VW is working to get the service support right and i sincerely hope that they do. But in the meantime if you don't want to take a gamble simply close your eyes and go with the Honda
Old 28th November 2012, 10:09   #5410
BHPian

Quote:
Higher by 50k? How could that be possible?!
It costs 11.1L OTR here in Chennai w/o the Navigation kit.With the kit it comes upto 11.3L.Even accounting for the higher road tax in KA,there shouldn't be a difference of 70-90k depending on whether the quote you got included the kit or not!!

Quote:
This does help but what about spare parts? Any idea on that?
VW spares generally are on the higher side.But I don't know about the service costs and spares of the petrol variants.Check out Noopster's or Josclix's ownership reports for the info.

Quote:
Being phased out? By when? Could that actually prove to be a very serious issue later on?
Them MPI unit is already being phased out worldwide and should start in India soon!!Spare parts availability COULD be a problem in the longer run.You might have to wait longer for critical parts.

Quote:
Discounts are out of the question. That's the best offer that the SA could give us!
That's what all them say.Try harder!!

Three other reasons I'm pushing for the Diesel
1.If your running does increase unexpectedly(like it happened for us),a Diesel car will have you well covered.
2.There is a higher possibility of petrol prices rising than a tax on Diesel cars.Atleast in the short term Diesel prices will be stable.
3.If and when Diesel is deregulated well into the future,the inherent fuel efficient nature of the Diesel car will be a boon.

Hope this helps!!

Cheers
Old 28th November 2012, 12:38   #5411
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by el lobo 6061 View Post
Try using Meguiars Ultimate Compound, it shall definitely lower the damage. Should be available with UD. They would help you out with application & reducing it. Repainting at VW is too costly for such regular occurrences. Maybe outside workshop help you out, if repainting is the option you did want to go with. My advice try Ultimate Compound and it would even be handy if later that lady puts another ding.

+1 Using Meguiars UC will lower the damage. Also to it up with Ultimate Polish then wax.

Regards,

rashv
Old 28th November 2012, 12:57   #5412
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rashv View Post
+1 Using Meguiars UC will lower the damage. Also to it up with Ultimate Polish then wax.

Regards,

rashv
Thanks but the Meguiars UC itself is quite costly if I remember correctly. For now I have done nothing and left it to be there as given the way people are driving/parking these days, theres every chance there will be more more of these scratches. Just noticed that there is a very faint dent on the rear bumper in middle! Gifted by some biker, no doubt.

Will try to drop by 3M this weekend if they can do something about these scratches or else will try to just forget about it.
Old 28th November 2012, 13:24   #5413
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
Thanks but the Meguiars UC itself is quite costly if I remember correctly. For now I have done nothing and left it to be there as given the way people are driving/parking these days, theres every chance there will be more more of these scratches. Just noticed that there is a very faint dent on the rear bumper in middle! Gifted by some biker, no doubt.

Will try to drop by 3M this weekend if they can do something about these scratches or else will try to just forget about it.

Yes, UC 16 oz will cost you around Rs 1495 + Shipping from BBIMPEX but you will get UP 16oz for Rs 750 + Shipping from vicky.in.

I believe 3M will also use Compound, Polish and sealant and it might be complete package for whole car which will cost you around 3k - 5k (Depends on the Package) for one time.

Regards,

rashv
Old 28th November 2012, 13:34   #5414
Senior - BHPian

THIS WILL BE HELPFUL FOR VENTO BUYERS.

I got a call from VW Gurgaon as I had shown interest a few weeks back. no longer Intrested as I will pick either a Innova or Jetta in Februaury.

Anyways - here is the latest deal - on TL & CL of Vento Diesel I am getting free insurance and 50k cash discount if I do not opt for any VW scheme.

They did have a 0% scheme which is now over and that also had free insurance.
I was being offered the TL Diesel vento for a smashing price of 8.4 lacs otr gurgaon
Old 28th November 2012, 13:37   #5415
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rashv View Post
Yes, UC 16 oz will cost you around Rs 1495 + Shipping from BBIMPEX but you will get UP 16oz for Rs 750 + Shipping from vicky.in.

I believe 3M will also use Compound, Polish and sealant and it might be complete package for whole car which will cost you around 3k - 5k (Depends on the Package) for one time.

Regards,

rashv
Are you sure of the prices? The only place I've seen UC is on Vicky.in and its much more expensive thah that (@3900)

http://www.vicky.in/shopping/meguiar...=ASC&limit=100

I have Meguiars Ultimate Polish and Meguiars Ultimate Quik Wax at home. Does it make sense to try them if they can lessen the scars or get rid of them? I have not yet tried anything for fear of exacerbating them.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks