Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th June 2010, 22:27   #361
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sujith1100 View Post
Okay people, here are the rest. Din't click many pics of the engine bay, as i got distracted by other things
Thanks Sujith! These pictures are good enough. The carburettor is the famed SU and its the BMC (now Hindusthan) OHV engine.
The gear lever knob is the black one from later Ambys. This one can be fitted with the original one, which was ivory white with a chrome ring at the tip.
Old 7th June 2010, 23:50   #362
Senior - BHPian

This is one peice of Art car, apart from Mark II this is the most favourate cars of mine. Congratulations of having such an iconic car Imperial sir . Looks very original. Can you please share some history of hers. When did you acquire it, your experience with her, have you done any rides/drives, I will just love to hear them.

Last edited by chanu : 7th June 2010 at 23:52.
Old 8th June 2010, 00:24   #363
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
Thanks Sujith! These pictures are good enough. The carburettor is the famed SU and its the BMC (now Hindusthan) OHV engine.
The gear lever knob is the black one from later Ambys. This one can be fitted with the original one, which was ivory white with a chrome ring at the tip.

O boy, you know a lot about these cars. I have no Idea about the cosmetics and not familiar with Ambassadors. I see very few British designs in their 110% stock form.
Old 8th June 2010, 11:01   #364
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sujith1100 View Post
The pictures am posting is of an 1961 ambassador, which belong to Mr. Sherief of FCB (Imperial s.a on team bhp).
Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
That is a super car Sherief. Couple of questions - is the door pillar mounted interior light switch 100% original? I ask because I saw a similar unit in a shop but wasn't sure to which car it went. If original I shall buy a pair for my pair of 62 Ambys (one of which originally came from Bangalore incidentally.)

I think the white knob with chrome ring was fitted to Landmasters, not Ambys. Can someone else confirm?

But the real rarest and most coveted item on the car is the transluscent plastic decorative elements around the meters and switches. These are very delicate and easily crack, and are never seen these days.

Last edited by karlosdeville : 8th June 2010 at 11:03.
Old 8th June 2010, 11:23   #365
BANNED

What I heard from Mr Sherief is that, the B-pillar switch is original and rare.
Go get them soon, before some one else carries them off!
Old 8th June 2010, 13:29   #366
Senior - BHPian

On my way to the scrapyard today i took a wrong turn and found these cars standing neglected on the road. I am sure that it belongs to some scrapper. Don't know the exact model but Amby lovers can definitely guess, at first sight, its model no.
Attached Thumbnails
Landmaster And Ambassador Picture Gallery-image0359.jpg  

Old 8th June 2010, 13:36   #367
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsag12 View Post
On my way to the scrapyard today i took a wrong turn and found these cars standing neglected on the road.
Don't know the exact model but Amby lovers can definitely guess, at first sight, its model no.
The car's a Landmaster, predecessor of the Amby.

(OT) The jeep's a Willys station-wagon.
Old 8th June 2010, 13:52   #368
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
The car's a Landmaster, predecessor of the Amby.

(OT) The jeep's a Willys station-wagon.
Thanks for pointing out the details on the said cars. The jeep seems to have been standing there for more than a year. It has some sort of angular front grill with stripes. A very rare car i guess.
Old 8th June 2010, 17:05   #369
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for pointing out the details on the said cars. The jeep seems to have been standing there for more than a year. It has some sort of angular front grill with stripes. A very rare car i guess.
The williys Wagon is not that rare, how ever an all original one is sure rare .
Old 8th June 2010, 17:10   #370
Distinguished - BHPian

There is a similar (if not the same) Willys wagon here. The design of the rear windows seems odd though, wonder if they were added later.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/1364110-post1.html
Old 8th June 2010, 17:37   #371
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
There is a similar (if not the same) Willys wagon here. The design of the rear windows seems odd though, wonder if they were added later.

I think they are original, both look to be very complete and restorable. Do they have the original engines?
Old 8th June 2010, 19:42   #372
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post

Quote:
On my way to the scrapyard today i took a wrong turn and found these cars standing neglected on the road. I am sure that it belongs to some scrapper. Don't know the exact model but Amby lovers can definitely guess, at first sight, its model no.
The Willys Station Wagon shown here has original rear windows with two doors. It is an import perhaps by the UNICEF from the late 1950's or early 1960's. In fact the UNICEF used to import such Station Wagons for medical duties.
In India two models were made- one with a 4WD that had front split windscreens and the 2WD version with a full front windscreen.

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 8th June 2010 at 19:43.
Old 8th June 2010, 21:53   #373
BHPian

hi guys the willeys station wagon most of them were in govt departments here i had got one for a friend in coimbatore single owner the tax was exemptedthe vehicle was MYV it belonged to postal department its the first SUV produced in the world it comes with an hurricane engine
Old 9th June 2010, 16:46   #374
BHPian

A Mark 1 seen used as a daily driver in Hyderabad. Sorry about the cell-phone pictures.

Landmaster And Ambassador Picture Gallery-mark1-front.jpg

Name:  Mark1 Rear.jpg
Views: 2790
Size:  26.4 KB
Old 10th June 2010, 01:44   #375
Senior - BHPian

Welcome Suren Anna! its been quite a long time heard from you. I should say Hyderabad is blessed with some original and few cosmetically original Mark 1 and 2's . I happened to see a Land master with most of original fittings including the monograms on the side fenders at Raidurgam police station limits. I wanted to click pics today and unfortunately is went off after a quick repairing.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks