Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th May 2011, 11:00   #496
BHPian

Re: Landmaster And Ambassador Picture Gallery

i saw that picture looks positively ugly.Looks like someone has just taken a big knife and chopped the back off. Dont know why they cant be more imaginative in their work take a look at this.
Attached Thumbnails
Landmaster And Ambassador Picture Gallery-2011hindustanmotorsambassador.jpg  

Old 15th June 2011, 14:24   #497
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
Ambassadors clicked last week during my Kolkata trip;
Attachment 539619
Attachment 539620
This WBJ Amby (originally a Mark II) is performing its last journey for getting broken. It was a 1968/9 model basically but was turned into a Mark 3. The dash was also of the black kind with the speedo, ammeter, temp, oil and fuel gauges of the older Amby Deluxe.I could presume that this car must have had the best of loving care in the 1970's, as it was modded then and later perhaps it was used and used.
Attachment 539621
A taxi being broken into pieces
Attachment 539622
A Mark 4 rotting near the Gariahat square
Attachment 539623
Attachment 539624
Another taxi being taken for breaking. This should have been an early 1990's Amby which has been affected by the 15 plus year commercial vehicle ban.
Attachment 539625
Attachment 539626
This is an original dashboard of a 1974 Ambassador Mark II (WMB series).The car has quite original interiors but has the Mark 4 trimmings outside.The gentleman was kind enough to allow me to take pictures of the interiors (dash) that I liked the best.The warning lights cluster is not original.
here are two pics i clicked today-for Dr Anjan as promised the Land master and Mercury V8 standing in my porche, the cars are out as the garage is being expanded,so got an idea of the picture,as Dr.Saab know better than me, i need a steering wheel for my Land master may be from any amby early models ,atleast better than the recent amby wheel,pls do comment
Attached Thumbnails
Landmaster And Ambassador Picture Gallery-img2011061502385.jpg  

Landmaster And Ambassador Picture Gallery-img2011061502386.jpg  

inderpalgill is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th June 2011, 18:55   #498
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by inderpalgill View Post
here are two pics i clicked today-for Dr Anjan as promised the Land master and Mercury V8 standing in my porche, the cars are out as the garage is being expanded,so got an idea of the picture,as Dr.Saab know better than me, i need a steering wheel for my Land master may be from any amby early models ,atleast better than the recent amby wheel,pls do comment
Thanks Inderpalji, the Mercury looks graceful. Also too happy to see the Landmaster giving it company. Its like the allies US and UK being so friendly alongside each other under the same roof!
Would suggest you please try for original Landmaster steering,that may take time a long time to procure. In the meantime, to preserve the classic look, the new 1990's steering now fitted to your car can be swapped for that of an old Ambassador.
Old 15th June 2011, 21:51   #499
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
SSA Veerji, good to see a Maharashtra registered Land master in Punjab, how you manage cops in your town, here in Mumbai these creeps stop any one with out of state registered Gaddi.V G J K K V G J K F.
Old 16th June 2011, 00:20   #500
Senior - BHPian

Inderpal ji is it a car or a boat? man a pure american muscle car! where did you acquire it from, i'm sure there must be a tale behind the car, please share it sir may be in a different thread. How many cars or rather how many of them (Cars & Bikes) you have in your collections, I am excited and restless to see them all, please.
Old 16th June 2011, 12:02   #501
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IQBAL VEERJI View Post
SSA Veerji, good to see a Maharashtra registered Land master in Punjab, how you manage cops in your town, here in Mumbai these creeps stop any one with out of state registered Gaddi.V G J K K V G J K F.
ssa veerji, well the cops are not at all an issue here in Punjab,infact i have never been intercepted in such cars ever, and allmost 90% of my cars are non punjab regn i have regn like JKC,BYJ,DLJ,DLC,PNE(when ambala was in Punjab) two vehicles with MDJ(again a hosur regn ,30kms from bangalore,purchased when i was studying in Blore from a missionary hospital ,its vw microbus<its a madras state regn when Madras was a State-interesting isnt it) and my latest purchase an 88 vw camer is yet to be registered and still runs on a D(german) plate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chanu View Post
Inderpal ji is it a car or a boat? man a pure american muscle car! where did you acquire it from, i'm sure there must be a tale behind the car, please share it sir may be in a different thread. How many cars or rather how many of them (Cars & Bikes) you have in your collections, I am excited and restless to see them all, please.
Ha Ha , very well said we too term this car as a ship,its really huge and obviously a gas guzzler too,i got it from a very rich and famous family of Chandigarh and our family friends, they have with them a car in which they came from pakistan to india in 47 during partition and is his fathers wedding car too its a 1937 ford,being an enthusiast he had a buick eight, a mercury and the 37 ford, after uncle passed away,his son,a very delightful and respectable gentleman,passed the car to me as he is busy enough and cant maintain 3 cars in addition to his regular cars, i tried my luck for 37 ford,but he has a bundle of emotional attachments(obviously) with that car,so i got this mercury last year,i was having a dream sort of thing come true,as i was chasing this car since 95,when i did my entrance test coaching in chandigarh and the time i saw her for the first time,the car has an original A/C and heater, she is a manual four speed column shift car,and is pillarless,with fibre top, the owner told me that once when he was very young,his dad removed the fibre top, to have the feel of the convertable,but i have not tried it yet,the only thing not original is the carb,she has been fitted with a petrol jeep carb,original yet huge again the air cleaner was found lying in the boot, iam searching for the carb and found one new,holley brand in USA for $300,but again double mind for money as i wouldnt be able to drive this car much as i drive my other cars eg vw beetle or landmaster ,then why to waste money,she is good enough and runs good enough for a small drives of 4-5 kms for which she guzzles up 4-5 litres of petrol,what you guys suggest,she also needs good and american type of roads to roll, being huge and LHD its somewhat hard to manage her on road,as people keep on coming parallel (as they do to all classic cars)asking qustions and distracting the conentration,i prefer her to stay safe and clean at home

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team: Please use the "edit" button if posting within 30 minutes of the first post, instead of creating another back-to-back post. Thanks!

Last edited by karlosdeville : 16th June 2011 at 13:04. Reason: Consecutive posts
Old 16th June 2011, 12:21   #502
Senior - BHPian

If you are a Amby or a Landmaster fan please watch this new release called 'West is West' starring Om puri and Ila Arun.
Old 16th June 2011, 13:40   #503
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chanu View Post
hi the vintage-classic cars and bikes i have are-Restored ones
5 vw beetles (including a super beetle ie 61,61,65,71,71 super)one 68 microbus(9Seater),69 vw Westfalia( camper) 88 vw water cooled westfalia.1929 Austin 7,covertable,a Landmaster,66 ford mercury,65 Toyota corona(can see her in a separate thread by me)then is 2 merc (1971 and 73),and a conteass classic,bikes come as 61 lambretta, and 70 model vespa(separate thread)Rajdoot GTS,1957 BSA ,one 1957 BSA Gold flash(650cc-twin),a jawa and yezdi,dads 79 model chetak, last but not the least 1942 Norton H16.
unrestored include a 1953 willys,centre light fiat millicento, 1953 Hillman minx,1938-standard flying eight(two door ,sunroof,vary rare car,i know only 3,mine being 4th ,pls update if some one knows any more ,its one in mumbai,one in chennai,regular visitors to local rallies,pls note its FLYING eight not standard eight.i think iam not forgetting some and iam not mentioning my regular,new era cars
Old 16th June 2011, 13:52   #504
Senior - BHPian

I think so there is a flying 8 with a collector in bangalore, I may be wrong. I will dig up the pictures.

Meanwhile I saw this Mark II in cambridge layout bangalore, in the road opposite to marry brown restaurent.

The dash is of Mark IV tough.

Landmaster And Ambassador Picture Gallery-dsc09101.jpg

Landmaster And Ambassador Picture Gallery-dsc09102.jpg

Landmaster And Ambassador Picture Gallery-dsc09106.jpg

Landmaster And Ambassador Picture Gallery-dsc09100.jpg

Landmaster And Ambassador Picture Gallery-dsc09099.jpg

Landmaster And Ambassador Picture Gallery-dsc09098.jpg
manishalive is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th June 2011, 19:55   #505
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manishalive View Post
I think so there is a flying 8 with a collector in bangalore, I may be wrong. I will dig up the pictures.

Meanwhile I saw this Mark II in cambridge layout bangalore, in the road opposite to marry brown restaurent.

The dash is of Mark IV tough.
Great viewing Manish and thanks for the pictures!
The car is a pre-1971 model, though I am not able to slot it exactly against the year in which it was manufactured.
From the first picture it appeared like a 1974 model- pre-Mark3 because of the headlight rings which resemble a Mark 3 or 4.There was a phase from 1974 till June 1975, when the Ambys had such headlight rings and the sharp edged tail light (later used extensively in the Mark 3 and 4). but the car was a Mark II and it had the brown sunmica at the top and bottom, with the ribbed aluminum centered dash.
But the Mark II emblem at the front fender (pre-1971) and the classic tail-light disproved my assertions.
Coming to the dash, the replaced black dash unit is a HM OE spare supply (post 1978) but all the meters are separately purchased and do not go with the black dash.
The gear knob is black and is post 1966. The ivory with a chrome ring ones came with the older Mark II's.
Had the dash been original, the car model year would have been easier to slot. In such cases only the engine and chassis numbers help identification.
Old 16th June 2011, 20:10   #506
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SILVERWOOD View Post
If you are a Amby or a Landmaster fan please watch this new release called 'West is West' starring Om puri and Ila Arun.
Was also seeing some promos of the film. Now I guess I will have to see it and also get its VCD/DVD to see only the cars ,even if the storyline is a bore (sorry may be a good film too!).
Quote:
Ha Ha , very well said we too term this car as a ship,its really huge and obviously a gas guzzler too,i got it from a very rich and famous family of Chandigarh _ _ _.
_ _ _ _ i wouldnt be able to drive this car much as i drive my other cars eg vw beetle or landmaster ,then why to waste money,she is good enough and runs good enough for a small drives of 4-5 kms for which she guzzles up 4-5 litres of petrol,what you guys suggest,she also needs good and american type of roads to roll, being huge and LHD its somewhat hard to manage her on road,as people keep on coming parallel (as they do to all classic cars)asking qustions and distracting the conentration,i prefer her to stay safe and clean at home
Inderpalji, I too am getting fascinated by this grotesque Mercury of yours. Do post more pictures and if need be start a new thread as it should be a very rare car in India.At the same time do get it checked for fuel consumption. These should run at least 3 kmpl in the worst road conditions.My friend had a 1966 Chevy Nova II automatic with A.C..It had a six cylinder petrol engine but consumed around 3 kmpl.
I was too happy to learn that you will retain the classic "BYJ" number. BY was for Bombay state and "J" for Nagpur.
Old 16th June 2011, 20:16   #507
Senior - BHPian

Hi, Amby Lovers here is something you will love to see to. A original Amby 1966 maybe with original mumbai No. MRZ series (we too had our 1965 Amby mark 2 with MRZ 3129).
It was being driven by a old man , it is OK in condition, with black painted bumpers.had mark 3 tail light glasses, mark 4 rear number plate light.
Could not click front photo as he went ahead of me and I got stuck in traffic.
Attached Thumbnails
Landmaster And Ambassador Picture Gallery-photo0070.jpg  

Landmaster And Ambassador Picture Gallery-photo0071.jpg  

Last edited by IQBAL VEERJI : 16th June 2011 at 20:17.
IQBAL VEERJI is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th June 2011, 20:30   #508
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hi, Amby Lovers here is something you will love to see to. A original Amby 1966 maybe with original mumbai No. MRZ series (we too had our 1965 Amby mark 2 with MRZ 3129).
It was being driven by a old man , it is OK in condition, with black painted bumpers.had mark 3 tail light glasses, mark 4 rear number plate light.
Could not click front photo as he went ahead of me and I got stuck in traffic.
Great Iqbal, the car's number plate proves its year of registration/ make.Our family friend had a MRZ 8770 Fiat 1100 with the blue dialled meters and the square meshed front grille, also a mid 1960's model.
The elderly gentleman with the Amby must have got tired of the coastal weather and the rusted bumpers. So he must have decided about the black paint. It was typical of those Uttarpara (W.B.) made, later day chrome work of the Amby to get rusted and you may be very aware of the fact since your family too owned one.
Old 16th June 2011, 20:41   #509
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
Great Iqbal, the car's number plate proves its year of registration/ make.Our family friend had a MRZ 8770 Fiat 1100 with the blue dialled meters and the square meshed front grille, also a mid 1960's model.
The elderly gentleman with the Amby must have got tired of the coastal weather and the rusted bumpers. So he must have decided about the black paint. It was typical of those Uttarpara (W.B.) made, later day chrome work of the Amby to get rusted and you may be very aware of the fact since your family too owned one.
Anjan ji, at times in late 60's when my dad used to get his MRZ 3129 painted , he used to think twice if to get bumpers chrom plated or paint them in .SILVER PAINT, But never he got them painted . I will try to locate any old pic of the car and post it.
My mom had one picture in black and white of the car with full family .It was taken near Kanheri Caves,taken with my dads YASHIKA 635 camera.
Sad news is My mom expired last september due to throad cancer after she was in Hinduja Hospital for almost 3.5 months.She was 85 yrs young noble lady.

Last edited by IQBAL VEERJI : 16th June 2011 at 21:01.
Old 16th June 2011, 22:19   #510
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Anjan ji, at times in late 60's when my dad used to get his MRZ 3129 painted , he used to think twice if to get bumpers chrom plated or paint them in .SILVER PAINT, But never he got them painted . I will try to locate any old pic of the car and post it.
My mom had one picture in black and white of the car with full family .It was taken near Kanheri Caves,taken with my dads YASHIKA 635 camera.
Sad news is My mom expired last september due to throad cancer after she was in Hinduja Hospital for almost 3.5 months.She was 85 yrs young noble lady.
Thanks for the information Iqbalji. Hope to see the picture/s soon.I was quite saddened to learn of your respected mother's untimely demise. May her soul rest in peace.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks