Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th June 2011, 19:35   #541
Senior - BHPian

Re: Landmaster And Ambassador Picture Gallery

Amazing car is an amazing piece of machine, I wish I get one someday, once done this car should be one stunner.
Old 24th June 2011, 19:55   #542
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manishalive View Post
Ok this one for Dr. Anjan and other Ambassador lovers. The car has come for body work with a mechanic. Let the pictures speak .
Thanks Manish, seeing an original example after a long, long time. The car appears to be a 1964-65 model with the Smiths meters and its original buff cream colour. Largely untouched or unspoilt by any modded feature, the AC fitment and perhaps the Solex carburettor are the only items that need a re look.
Even the fading rear tail lights are kept original.The dash is very original to the hilt.The indicator switch assembly might have been fitted as a sign of desperation, when the originals were not available to the owner.
Mostly the dash and the tail lights, front grille, headlights are modded by owners in these old Ambassadors. And to our horror there may be a diesel fitted inside the bonnet.
Old 25th June 2011, 00:22   #543
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manishalive View Post
Ok this one for Dr. Anjan and other Ambassador lovers. The car has come for body work with a mechanic. Let the pictures speak.
Yes, this car will bring nostalgic moments to any Amby no Ambassador lover. The pet name Amby evolved at a later day.
Nice find.

Can you unmask the engine number of the car at least the first three which are alphabets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
Thanks Manish, seeing an original example after a long, long time. Yes very true.The car appears to be a 1964-65 model with the Smiths meters and its original buff cream colour. Largely untouched or unspoilt by any modded feature, the AC fitment and perhaps the Solex carburettor are the only items that need a re look.
Even the fading rear tail lights are kept original.See the plate with the graph paper like lines are still intact.The dash is very original to the hilt.The indicator switch assembly might have been fitted as a sign of desperation, when the originals were not available to the owner. This type of combination switches for Ambassadors were common in the late70s and early 80s as an after market fitment even for new cars.

Mostly the dash and the tail lights, front grille, headlights are modded by owners in these old Ambassadors.The knobs of the panel switches were originally like the one in this car at the instrument light control position. The starter and wiper switches are of a later model-after 1970-
Also what is that light at the choke position?
And to our horror there may be a diesel fitted inside the bonnet.
Mr Anjan, I have a doubt here. When did the Smiths speedometers changed to KMH graduation? I can not recollect. The Autometer make Smiths clones, which debuted in 1966 or 67, were all in KMH.

The park lamp glasses are mounted reversely. It was the other way as original fitment.Even in those days, these were fitted ulta by many a mechanics.

Last edited by rajeev k : 25th June 2011 at 00:30.
Old 25th June 2011, 01:26   #544
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I don't see that. It is just a different (push type) choke switch.

a '62 model with MPH. (Mark 1)
Landmaster And Ambassador Picture Gallery-1.jpg

Source-http://bharatbuysell.com/bs/Ambassad...17370.htm?fl=1

Last edited by amit V8 : 25th June 2011 at 01:34.
Old 25th June 2011, 01:27   #545
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I don't see that. It is just a different (push type) choke switch, which should have been a pull type....I guess.
Old 25th June 2011, 01:38   #546
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit V8 View Post
I don't see that. It is just a different (push type) choke switch.
No push type choke ever was an OE in Ambassadors. The one in the picture
you have attached is also a pull type one and the other switches are all post-1970 model ones. The starter is a key enabled one which was launched in 1970 models, but the meters are older version ones. This is a mix 'n' match dash/cluster.
Old 25th June 2011, 01:43   #547
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
No push type choke ever was an OE in Ambassadors. The one in the picture
you have attached is also a pull type one and the other switches are all post-1970 model ones.
I know this. But I can't see the light you talked about.
Old 25th June 2011, 01:49   #548
Senior - BHPian

^^^ Sorry. I was referring to the light look alike at the choke position, which probably is a push switch. Then for what purpose, definitely it is not a choke.

Or, perhaps, it could be for masking the hole. Manish may be able to clarify.
Old 25th June 2011, 09:11   #549
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
Thanks Manish, seeing an original example after a long, long time. The car appears to be a 1964-65 model with the Smiths meters and its original buff cream colour. Largely untouched or unspoilt by any modded feature, the AC fitment and perhaps the Solex carburettor are the only items that need a re look.
Even the fading rear tail lights are kept original.The dash is very original to the hilt.The indicator switch assembly might have been fitted as a sign of desperation, when the originals were not available to the owner.
Mostly the dash and the tail lights, front grille, headlights are modded by owners in these old Ambassadors. And to our horror there may be a diesel fitted inside the bonnet.
No Sir , correct me if I am wrong 1964-65 had MPH (Miles Per Hrs) meters, pull switches were black in colour and skinny in shape, indicaters were operated from steering centre sliding lever with a H motiff,head light rings were more protruding and heavy in looks then these(seems to be mark 3), trip setting knob used to be located below dash board and was spring loaded and could be operated by rotating it while kept pressed,these are few I could see ..Regards
Old 25th June 2011, 09:50   #550
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit V8 View Post
I don't see that. It is just a different (push type) choke switch, which should have been a pull type....I guess.
Quote:
^^^ Sorry. I was referring to the light look alike at the choke position, which probably is a push switch. Then for what purpose, definitely it is not a choke.

Or, perhaps, it could be for masking the hole. Manish may be able to clarify.
Quote:
Originally Posted by IQBAL VEERJI View Post
No Sir , correct me if I am wrong 1964-65 had MPH (Miles Per Hrs) meters, pull switches were black in colour and skinny in shape,
I noticed the single black switch too. Similar ones were used on the Standard 10/Pennant/Companion. I guess they were common to some British-origin cars of that period.

Anyways, now I know where to get a wiper switch for my Companion!
Old 25th June 2011, 21:30   #551
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The colour is also not vintage.

The wiper assembly is latest. I mean not chrome ones.

It would be difficult to find such neat Amby taxis now as Indica/Indigo s are going the rounds in the present.
Sir ji I am refering not to wiper arms and blades, I am refering to PARKING POSITIONING it used to be similar to our latest HODA CIVIC.
Ah. those steel arms and steel blades casing were simply fantastic and of cource stolen during monsoon.
Old 25th June 2011, 21:45   #552
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
I noticed the single black switch too. Similar ones were used on the Standard 10/Pennant/Companion. I guess they were common to some British-origin cars of that period.

Anyways, now I know where to get a wiper switch for my Companion!
Stanher ji, four knobs ,they were for following.
*First pull knob was for cable operated choke to SU Carburettor.
*Second knob was for wipers ,single speed.
*Third was rotating hand grip type switch to operate lights , first click for dim lights,second click for Head lights.Dipper was placed on the floor bed near steering coloumn.
*Fourth knob was again for the lights ,it was a dimmer to dim the light illumination on both large dials having speedometer, and fuel guage,oil pressuer amp meter, and a small green light to indicate light are ON.
*In the speedometer we had total miles covered and trip meter(how to operate this trip I have already shown earlier). It had a Red light to show if the battery is being charged or not by a dyanamo and voltage regulator.
Simple and best NO ELECTRONICS used as of today times..
I am adding one more info regarding Smiths speedometer ,some had the needle with thick center plastic point while some had just a shiny center portion, we had in our 1965 Amby MRZ 3129 the later one .

Last edited by IQBAL VEERJI : 25th June 2011 at 21:49.
Old 25th June 2011, 22:28   #553
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IQBAL VEERJI View Post
Sir ji I am refering not to wiper arms and blades, I am refering to PARKING POSITIONING it used to be similar to our latest HODA CIVIC.
Ah. those steel arms and steel blades casing were simply fantastic and of cource stolen during monsoon.
I was not referring to the wiper arm locations nee positioning but highlighting that the arms were also changed.

Quote:
I am adding one more info regarding Smiths speedometer ,some had the needle with thick center plastic point while some had just a shiny center portion, we had in our 1965 Amby MRZ 3129 the later one .
If have any snaps of this, kindly upload.

Last edited by rajeev k : 25th June 2011 at 22:30.
Old 27th June 2011, 19:42   #554
Senior - BHPian

Recently a Amby mark 2 came to a local scrapyard. nothing cosmetic is left on it though an air filter is lying which looks same as the one in the picture. I think its original Mark 2 one. Does anybody requires the air filter box, if yes then do PM or email me.
Attached Thumbnails
Landmaster And Ambassador Picture Gallery-amby-restore-57.jpg  

Old 27th June 2011, 22:20   #555
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsag12 View Post
Recently a Amby mark 2 came to a local scrapyard. nothing cosmetic is left on it though an air filter is lying which looks same as the one in the picture. I think its original Mark 2 one. Does anybody requires the air filter box, if yes then do PM or email me.
The car is from the earlier lot of Mark II's. A SU carburettor is very much seen.The car must have been scrapped by now.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks