Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War

Search this Thread
Old 23rd February 2012, 09:52   #631
Senior - BHPian

Re: Landmaster And Ambassador Picture Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by venkat kumar View Post
Hi everyone,
I am posting pictures of my 1966 Ambassador , which was restored by me and also she has the original petrol engine . i would like to hear your comments.

With regards
S.Venkat Kumar
Wow!! it looks like as if rolled down from assembly line. This is what I call a MINT condition. I know how much of efforts must have gone behind this magnificent machine, any pics of engine bay? can you also try to post some before and restoration pictures. All the very best and you must be proud having this legend Mr Kumar.
chanu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2012, 11:45   #632
BHPian

Thanks for the compliment. In 1966 the cars came with rubberized mats which I was not able to locate, the gear lever is the original and I have not put the wheel mats as the cars came from the factory without them and it was only an add on.
The car was done at a place called G T Tuners at Coimbatore
Contact Person Gopal Telphone no9487515362

Dear Sri Anjan
I have used Dupont. I shall post pictures of the engine bay and the boot shortly. I could not find the white wall tyres and I was eager to get the car on the road that is why I went to fix the nylon tyres. Thanks for the compliment
Venkat Kumar

John,
I shall try and if sucessfull will keep you posted
Venkat kumar

Quote:
Q:Was that gear lever knob also offered on Mk IIs? I would think it would have been a black unit by then.
That is the original gear lever knob.The black knobs came only later.I am elated by being complimented by Gurus like you.

Last edited by karlosdeville : 23rd February 2012 at 14:16. Reason: Consecutive posts, fixing quotes and punctuation
venkat kumar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2012, 12:18   #633
BHPian

Quote:
Hi everyone,
I am posting pictures of my 1966 Ambassador , which was restored by me and also she has the original petrol engine . i would like to hear your comments.

With regards
S.Venkat Kumar
Hello Venkat,

I truly admire your efforts. Your car looks so original and as good as new. Congrats! You must be feeling proud of your car.

Can you tell me if you faced problem sourcing the parts during restoration? How long did the duration take?

It's my absolute dream to buy a Mk-II Ambassador and restore it to stock condition just like what you've done.

Thanks,
Jose.
Old 23rd February 2012, 14:03   #634
BHPian

Looking awesome, get hold of a set of white wall tyres too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagadeesh.b View Post
Hi Venkat,

Can you help me get the the rubbers with the steel beeding for front & rear wind shield.

Thanks,
John.
Quote:
[
Thanks,
John.
I shall try and if sucessfull will keep you posted
Venkat kumar[/quote]

I'm also in need of these beedings with steel inserts for front and rear windshield. Pls do keep me posted too if these are available.

Regards,
-Vinay.
Old 23rd February 2012, 14:17   #635
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
That really is a beauty - amongst the nicest looking Mk IIs I've seen in a long time, especially love the colour. Great to see the trim on the windscreens and the non locking petrol cap, amongst other bits. Well done! Do share some more detailed pictures.

Was that gear lever knob also offered on Mk IIs? I would think it would have been a black unit by then.

Incidentally the rear numberplate with the 'ledge' is very much the original plate that was (and probably is still) offered on Ambys.
Ok....I thought the initial ones with this type of speedos had the white gear knob.
Also I am talking about those no. plates which had the nos. embossed on them.
Old 23rd February 2012, 16:56   #636
BHPian

Quote:
Hi everyone,

With regards
S.Venkat Kumar

Mr. Kumar, all I can say is that as far as restoration goes, to my eyes, this is as good as it gets. The restoration is so well done, the overall panel fit, the colours used (and I like the interior colours A LOT), the chrome etc. etc., it's all just too good. I think it's so good that even if there are some tiny bits that others have pointed out (I don't know much about classic Ambassadors/Landmasters), I would disregard all that and just stare at the car the whole day and seen my reflection if I owned the car.

I'd also be in a dilemma; with the traffic and roads in Calcutta, I would be very scared to drive such a pristine car!

Many many congratulations and yes, engine and other detailed pics please.

Best Regards
Prithvi
Old 23rd February 2012, 17:16   #637
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicmanaman View Post
Hi Anjan,

Those are some nice old aticles you have put up, kind of nostalgic. I had never seen a interior snap of the Hindustan Porter before.
Just day before yesterday I was tailing a car trying to figure out what the contraption was (from behind). The moment I managed to overtake him I saw that the front was that of an Amby! Now I know what that contraption was

PS: The car was a govt registered car which still had the 'white lettering on black back ground' number plate
Old 23rd February 2012, 18:24   #638
Distinguished - BHPian

I also noticed the absence of the clock between the two guages - were Mark IIs ever offered with this clock?
Old 23rd February 2012, 20:03   #639
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
I also noticed the absence of the clock between the two guages - were Mark IIs ever offered with this clock?
This is the Ambassador in its avatar around 1965 or so. That configuration of the two Smiths meters sans the clock lasted for maybe a year till the Smiths were replaced by Yenkay's.
The 1964 Mark II indeed had the same dash as the Mark I it had replaced. The chrome plated ashtray, atop the dash also came with the Mark II. There were air vent slots in the Mark I on the dash top that gave way to the ash tray. Believe there were more smokers buying Ambys rather than people who wanted their cars to be well ventilated.
Landmaster And Ambassador Picture Gallery-morris-oxford-series-3-4.jpg
The threesome with the air vents on the flat surface above (Mark I)
source teambhp
Landmaster And Ambassador Picture Gallery-picture_33709.jpg
The twosome with the ashtray (Mark II 1965-66)
source teambhp classifieds

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 23rd February 2012 at 20:07.
anjan_c2007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2012, 20:31   #640
BHPian

Awesome painting and restoration!.Congrats Venkat!.

Now, I'm confused about the meters.In a mark 2 manual,I had seen three small meters and 1 speedo with 3 round lights in the center and the same is there in my mark 2 1968 model. Is this correct or should I fix meters as in Venkat's car?
Old 23rd February 2012, 20:38   #641
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjeevkanjoor View Post
Awesome painting and restoration!.Congrats Venkat!.

Now, I'm confused about the meters.In a mark 2 manual,I had seen three small meters and 1 speedo with 3 round lights in the center and the same is there in my mark 2 1968 model. Is this correct or should I fix meters as in Venkat's car?
Sanjeev your car is perfectly original. The Yenkay combo as you state came after 1966 and continued till 1969. Yenkays came around as the Ambassador was under government orders indigenised and so the imported components stopped after 1966.
Landmaster And Ambassador Picture Gallery-instrument-panel1965.jpg
This picture is from teambhp. Here two of the small meters shown may not be original, but the original configuration is like this.The speedo and the fuel meter with the three light cluster is original however and so are the dash plate and the switches.

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 23rd February 2012 at 20:40.
anjan_c2007 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th February 2012, 10:15   #642
BHPian

Quote:
pictures of my 1966 Ambassador , which was restored by me and also she has the original petrol engine . i would like to hear your comments.
Sir, that is an absolutely beautiful restoration!! The interiors look exceptional!

Excellent job, and congratulations!

Would love to see some pictures of the car before the restoration, and some more of the engine bay.

Cheers,
Rahul
Old 26th February 2012, 20:14   #643
Distinguished - BHPian

This 1965 Ambassador belongs to my paternal uncle who passed away about 8 years ago. The car was in fine running condition, but has turned into such a condition, lately. Though I am a regular visitor to their residence, only today I could click some pictures of the car. Its front part is abutting against the compound wall, so access to click frontal portion pictures was not possible. The headlight rings have gone missing, though the tail lights are intact. The original seat upholstery (red and grey), under the torn front seat cover can be seen. The car is quite original (including the cream paint from the company), other than the clock on the dash that has been replaced. The chrome plated ashtray atop the dash has also been replaced.This is from among the last lot of Ambassadors to be fitted by HM with the clock and the 2 big Smiths meters. The clock disappeared maybe within a few months and the later ones came with the two big Smiths meters only. The car needs lots of TLC,which will come its way do not know when? It will sometime undergo restoration. So rather than post this in the rotting cars thread, with optimism, I am posting the pictures here. They will never like to part with the car however.
A quote here in Hindi " kash waqt ki kuch lagam hamare bus me hoti to" meaning " wish we had some control for regulating time." We see many cars in decaying conditions, but if it happens to be one that one or his/her near and dear one/s were personally possessed with, its painful !
Landmaster And Ambassador Picture Gallery-dsc08876.jpg

Landmaster And Ambassador Picture Gallery-dsc08877.jpg

Landmaster And Ambassador Picture Gallery-dsc08878.jpg

Landmaster And Ambassador Picture Gallery-dsc08879.jpg

Landmaster And Ambassador Picture Gallery-dsc08880.jpg

Landmaster And Ambassador Picture Gallery-dsc08881.jpg

Landmaster And Ambassador Picture Gallery-dsc08883.jpg

Landmaster And Ambassador Picture Gallery-dsc08884.jpg

Landmaster And Ambassador Picture Gallery-dsc08885.jpg

Landmaster And Ambassador Picture Gallery-dsc08886.jpg

Landmaster And Ambassador Picture Gallery-dsc08887.jpg

Landmaster And Ambassador Picture Gallery-dsc08888.jpg

Landmaster And Ambassador Picture Gallery-dsc08889.jpg

Landmaster And Ambassador Picture Gallery-dsc08893.jpg

Landmaster And Ambassador Picture Gallery-dsc08892.jpg

Landmaster And Ambassador Picture Gallery-dsc08890.jpg

Landmaster And Ambassador Picture Gallery-dsc08891.jpg

Landmaster And Ambassador Picture Gallery-dsc08894.jpg

Landmaster And Ambassador Picture Gallery-dsc08895.jpg

Landmaster And Ambassador Picture Gallery-dsc08896.jpg

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 26th February 2012 at 20:27.
anjan_c2007 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th February 2012, 06:00   #644
Senior - BHPian

I couldn't believe this Anjan ! such an intact and original car is slowly rotting, this can can be as good looking as the one below. I hope thi car is cleaned and kept in such a way that it survives for some more time i.e., some cleaning and a proper cover, wooden blocks under the axle, storing the important cosmetic parts like the tail lamp, meters, grille etc till you lay your hands on her, I hope she gets your care soon.
chanu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th February 2012, 19:51   #645
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chanu View Post
I couldn't believe this Anjan ! such an intact and original car is slowly rotting, this can can be as good looking as the one below. I hope thi car is cleaned and kept in such a way that it survives for some more time i.e., some cleaning and a proper cover, wooden blocks under the axle, storing the important cosmetic parts like the tail lamp, meters, grille etc till you lay your hands on her, I hope she gets your care soon.
Thanks Chanu for the suggestions. Hopefully some day that should happen. The relatives say it is not on their priority list, but let me try and convince them.

Most Viewed