Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th June 2011, 23:50   #556
Senior - BHPian

Re: Landmaster And Ambassador Picture Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsag12 View Post
Recently a Amby mark 2 came to a local scrapyard. nothing cosmetic is left on it though an air filter is lying which looks same as the one in the picture. I think its original Mark 2 one. Does anybody requires the air filter box, if yes then do PM or email me.
Many years back, during early 1990s when diesel conversion was a great fad amonh Amby owners, the petrol engines like the one in the picture,used to lie around in garages as scrap costing only around Rs 1000 to 1500. Instead of engine overhauling engine swap was the order then for petrol cars.

Remembering the BMC, Matador and Jaya diesels at this juncture.

Last edited by rajeev k : 27th June 2011 at 23:52.
Old 28th June 2011, 00:03   #557
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Recently a Amby mark 2 came to a local scrapyard. nothing cosmetic is left on it though an air filter is lying which looks same as the one in the picture. I think its original Mark 2 one. Does anybody requires the air filter box, if yes then do PM or email me.
I know this not the right question in this thread but Sagar what is that bike next to the engine?. Now the right question is this a original petrol engine from Hindustan, if so what would be the asking price?.
Old 29th June 2011, 17:05   #558
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chanu View Post
I know this not the right question in this thread but Sagar what is that bike next to the engine?. Now the right question is this a original petrol engine from Hindustan, if so what would be the asking price?.
Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
The car is from the earlier lot of Mark II's. A SU carburettor is very much seen.The car must have been scrapped by now.
It appears that you people got confused with the current pics as its a reference pic and not the actual pic of the car which i am talking about. This pic is taken from another amby restoration thread. Hope this clears all the doubts. I have posted this just to give an idea of what type of air filter box i was referring to.
@ anjan_c2007: Sir the carburetor was not in the car as this was an abandoned project. Mark 2 was in the process of restoration when it was scrapped so many fittings and parts appeared missing though i saw a horn button ring fitted to the steering. I doubt if its still available. Will check and revert.

PS : I am desperately looking for a horn ring for my Fiat, have a thin type steering wheel to fit the same.

Last edited by samsag12 : 29th June 2011 at 17:11.
Old 29th June 2011, 17:17   #559
BHPian

Quote:
does the car have an original steering wheel,kindly help as i need one
Old 29th June 2011, 17:22   #560
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by inderpalgill View Post
does the car have an original steering wheel,kindly help as i need one
The wheel had the horn ring fitted to it so it might be the original one. Can you post a few pics for reference.
Old 30th June 2011, 07:55   #561
Distinguished - BHPian

I spotted this one belonging to an embassy last Sunday (26/06/11).We have nearly all classic Ambassadors here on this thread, but this picture shows that the Ambassador despite its old,old everything is still loved by others too!
Landmaster And Ambassador Picture Gallery-dsc07474.jpg
Old 30th June 2011, 12:13   #562
BHPian

Quote:
I spotted this one belonging to an embassy last Sunday (26/06/11).We have nearly all classic Ambassadors here on this thread, but this picture shows that the Ambassador despite its old,old everything is still loved by others too!
Attachment 569524
i remember i saw one too last month near american embassy at New delhi,really makes us proud,an Indian Ambassador is worth being an embassy car!
Old 7th July 2011, 00:16   #563
Senior - BHPian

Mark 4 (STD) - almost original but later gen. overriders, mark 3 tail lights (RHS).

Landmaster And Ambassador Picture Gallery-img0252a.jpg
Landmaster And Ambassador Picture Gallery-img0253a.jpg
Landmaster And Ambassador Picture Gallery-img0254a.jpg

Mark 3 - a lot of things changed including motor and tranny (floor mounted).

Landmaster And Ambassador Picture Gallery-img0255a.jpg
Landmaster And Ambassador Picture Gallery-img0256a.jpg
amit V8 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th July 2011, 07:29   #564
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit V8 View Post
Mark 4 (STD) - almost original but later gen. overriders, mark 3 tail lights (RHS).
Mr Amit, my memory is not getting refreshed. Still, I had a feeling that the above referred tail light glass was standard fitment on the later gen Mark IIs also post 1971/72. Is it or was it on Mark 3 first.

Mr Anjan, you may kindly chip in.

Last edited by rajeev k : 7th July 2011 at 07:32.
Old 7th July 2011, 19:10   #565
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
Mr Amit, my memory is not getting refreshed. Still, I had a feeling that the above referred tail light glass was standard fitment on the later gen Mark IIs also post 1971/72. Is it or was it on Mark 3 first.

Thanks Rajeev for the opportunity. Mark II continued with the old Mark 1 tail lights till the very end. Only the headlight ring and the number plate light of the Mark 3 had appeared in the 1974 Mark II's, perhaps the last lots of Ambys with the price control regime in vogue. Come June 1975,(emergency was declared) and the Mark 3 appeared with the new dash too!
And Rajeev you were right when you had said that the cranking handle hole was omnipresent in Mark II's. I verified and found that these holes were there in the Mark 3's too! Its a surprise that HM believed that even in 1975, cranking handles will be used by the owner/driver as these were so popular in the 1910's, 20's and 30's.
anjan_c2007 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 7th July 2011, 21:27   #566
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Rajeev for the opportunity. Mark II continued with the old Mark 1 tail lights till the very end. Only the headlight ring and the number plate light of the Mark 3 had appeared in the 1974 Mark II's, perhaps the last lots of Ambys with the price control regime in vogue. Come June 1975,(emergency was declared) and the Mark 3 appeared with the new dash too!
And Rajeev you were right when you had said that the cranking handle hole was omnipresent in Mark II's. I verified and found that these holes were there in the Mark 3's too! Its a surprise that HM believed that even in 1975, cranking handles will be used by the owner/driver as these were so popular in the 1910's, 20's and 30's.
Thanks Mr Anjan for the info.

Another use for the starting handle in those days was quite weird. Almost all taxi drivers used to keep the handle below the driver seat at a vantage position to use as a weapon for self defense in case of any attack by muggers during night trips. As per a late tourist taxi driver of Trivandrum.

The cost cutting antics by HM is also evident in the front bumper of the initial Mark4s; only the end pieces were in position and no center piece. Later on, this was added as a cosmetic after thought.

Last edited by rajeev k : 7th July 2011 at 21:36.
Old 7th July 2011, 21:38   #567
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post

As per my knowledge-

the black Mark 3 ^^^ has Mark 4 taillights, because the reflector was started from Mark 4.

the blue Mark 4 ^^^ has Mark 3 taillights on the right, note the difference.

I also agree with Mr. Anjan about the later Mark 2s fitted with Mark 3 headlight rims. But I have never seen them with the later's taillights.
Old 14th July 2011, 23:04   #568
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Here is a very original Mark 3 with provision for the cranking handle.
Landmaster And Ambassador Picture Gallery-dsc01366.jpg
anjan_c2007 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2011, 01:18   #569
Senior - BHPian

A beautiful Mark 1 and a landmaster can be seen here.--

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/vintag...ml#post2439128
Old 5th August 2011, 01:43   #570
Senior - BHPian

Mark 4 (std.) with original metal glass beading and reverse lights.

Landmaster And Ambassador Picture Gallery-img0263a.jpg

Landmaster And Ambassador Picture Gallery-img0264a.jpg
amit V8 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks