Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th March 2015, 00:10   #6031
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by barcalad View Post
There' ---------snip-----------s. The th of fresh air. Different, interesting and captivating. Must watch.

Rating : 5/5
Yes, but What is it about???
If you could give the genre, at least.

Last edited by mayankk : 4th March 2015 at 00:11.
Old 4th March 2015, 10:31   #6032
BHPian

Re: The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)

Quote:
Originally Posted by barcalad View Post
There's this French movie called Amelie. .... It's incredibly refreshing every time I see it.....
It's a movie which is a breath of fresh air. Different, interesting and captivating. Must watch.
Totally agree, also if you like Amelie - I suggest you watch "Priceless" as well. It is another french movie starring stars Audrey Tatou and a lovely romcom kind of movie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
umm.... Kind of hard to classify it, but I will say that it is essentially a movie about romance, not just with another person but with life, with some brilliant and very subtle humour thrown in.

More than that - I suggest you must watch it to coz the movie presentation is very unique. It was nominated at the Oscars in the Best Foreign Film category (alongside Lagaan). However, failed to bag the award that year!!
Old 4th March 2015, 12:01   #6033
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
I think it's a rom-com. An innocent form of rom-com which will make you smile, rather than laugh. But then, it's a movie which will stay with you after you're done watching it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGNarain View Post
Totally agree, also if you like Amelie - I suggest you watch "Priceless" as well. It is another french movie starring stars Audrey Tatou and a lovely romcom kind of movie.
I agree. Shall watch Priceless soon, then. Tatou has such an amazing charm about herself.
Old 6th March 2015, 07:44   #6034

Had a good week of viewing.

1. The Rewrite: 3.5/5
Hugh Grant and Marisa Tomei take the movie to a different level. Storyline is not something new. Hugh Grant's acting is so natural that one would wonder if he wasn't acting and just being himself!

2. Night At The Museum: The Secret Of The Tomb 2.5/5
I felt it was an unnecessary movie, but finally the saga(if it can be called that) is put to rest. Nothing of real note in the entire film. Only some entertainment value.

3. Northmen - A Viking Saga 3/5
Same story retold for the nth time. Time pass movie for action buffs.

4. The Book Thief: 3.5/5
Suspense, drama, love, sorrow all rolled into one beautiful movie. Great script and excellent acting from the entire cast. The only thing lacking is the silence and introvertness of the protagonist - which is apt initially but it's intermittently portrayed throughout the movie; even in places where it makes no sense! A really good watch though.

And I watched Real Steel and Rush just for the heck of it (like I frequently do).

Last edited by aah78 : 7th March 2015 at 22:50. Reason: Smiley had showed up incorrectly. Removed.
Old 6th March 2015, 18:54   #6035
BHPian

Glad to see that Amelie has many fans here.

I simply love the soundtrack, and the innocent charm portrayed by Tatou. Her happy go lucky character really does make me smile.
Old 9th March 2015, 16:03   #6036
Senior - BHPian

Yesterday watched Kidnapping of Mr Heineken.

Rating: 6/10

Reason for six cause i thought there would be a twist to the climax, however i was disappointed. Didn't like the ending.
Old 10th March 2015, 04:16   #6037
Senior - BHPian

Hobbit and the Battle of Five Armies - Not sure if this movie was made short on purpose, but it lacked depth. There are jumps here and there in the movie that you don't have a clue why. The movie was good in parts, especially Thorin and Bilbo's character portrayal. Legolas stunts were downright silly. Would give a 7/10.
Old 13th March 2015, 01:16   #6038
Senior - BHPian

Watched The Theory OF Everything

Brilliant movie with an insight on the non techie side of Professor Hawking. Eddie Redmayne has done a fantastic portrayal & its no wonder he got the Academy & many other awards for this role, he was simply brilliant.

The movie is probably a little more positive about some of the events than they actually were but nevertheless is a must watch.

5/5
Old 13th March 2015, 19:30   #6039
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
Watched The Theory OF Everything

Brilliant movie with an insight on the non techie side of Professor Hawking. Eddie Redmayne has done a fantastic portrayal & its no wonder he got the Academy & many other awards for this role, he was simply brilliant.

The movie is probably a little more positive about some of the events than they actually were but nevertheless is a must watch.

5/5
+1 to that. Watched it with wife on our anniversary. Brilliant performances.

Regards
Dieseltuned
Old 13th March 2015, 21:48   #6040
Distinguished - BHPian

Vice

Bruce Willis.
Enough said, you'd think?
You'd be wrong. This movie is clap-trap,utter,and complete. The plot line is good, and could have been sustainable, but after about 5 minutes, I just wanted it to be over.

-3/5
Old 14th March 2015, 16:15   #6041
BHPian

Watched Chappie last night.

Rating : 4.5/5

Made by South African national Neil Blomkamp, hence didn't expect a high budget movie. It stars Dev Patel as male lead, but has Hugh Jackman and Susan Sarandon - relatively big names in Hollywood.

The theme of the movie being AI was the reason I watched it, and I don't think you will be disappointed. Although once the AI robot was created, it seems a bit slow paced and the characters who "adopt" the AI robot - named Chappie - as surrogate mom and dad does add a touch of humour to an otherwise serious movie. I did find it strange that the characters who played adoptive parents are otherwise ruthless criminals , it's a bit of a stretch to imagine them become caring parents. But as Chappie's consciousness evolves, the movie picks up pace and gets more interesting, though I wish there was more coverage of how AI evolves to understand and decide on how to act when faced with moral dilemmas.

Not your usual way of how AI oriented movies are handled, Neil Blomkamp has done an admirable job. I did like his previous movies too ( District 9 , Elysium ).

Definitely worth a watch if you're into AI.
Old 14th March 2015, 17:27   #6042
GTO
Team-BHP Support

American Sniper

Long movie by English flick standards, still definitely time well spent. Will give it a solid 4.5 / 5 rating. What makes the movie more interesting to watch is that it's a true story about Navy Seal Sniper Chris Kyle (DON'T click on the link before watching the movie).

Clint Eastwood's direction is top class, as is Bradley Cooper's acting. I liked him in Hangover, but boy, this one is at a different level.
Old 14th March 2015, 18:59   #6043
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricci View Post
It stars Dev Patel as male lead, but has Hugh Jackman and Susan Sarandon - relatively big names in Hollywood.
Oops, I meant Sigourney Weaver. This sort of memory goof up happens to me a rather lot.
Old 15th March 2015, 23:08   #6044
BHPian

Whiplash

One if the finest films I have seen in my lifetime. Based on a story of an ambitious music student and a demanding teacher. Brilliant acting and superb direction. It is amazing to see the kind of detailing that directors in Hollywood pay attention to.

Do not miss it.

Rating - 5/5
Old 16th March 2015, 09:30   #6045
Senior - BHPian

Fargo - 3/5

It somehow kept showing up on my Netflix list but I never got to watching it all this time.

Pretty ok movie. Nothing great. About a fake kidnapping gone wrong. Steve Buscemi was hilarious.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks