Old 12th March 2010, 23:11   #1096
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
Ford Super Deluxe of late 40s?
I would hazard the same guess but cant say for sure
Old 13th March 2010, 15:21   #1097
Distinguished - BHPian

I do not recall if I had posted these earlier, but here they are. Apparently shot in Kodaikanal

Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-371136226_04d7302b8d_o.jpg

Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-371160150_0a881e80e2_o.jpg

Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-371182423_1e9bd93e75_o.jpg

Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-371195040_b6f9af2811_o.jpg

India and Bangladesh - a set on Flickr
karlosdeville is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th March 2010, 16:09   #1098
Distinguished - BHPian

Here are some gems listed as 'Found photos'.

Description reads "From a set of photos found in a thrift store, They appear to be from someone's Peace Corp or mission trip to India"

Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-4267134003_32d8fb9efa_o.jpg

Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-4267134027_26afc1f4da_o.jpg

Lovely Hudson taxi

Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-4267906794_a414bc7d24_o.jpg

Found Photo : Tourists on Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Found Photo : Willy's Jeep 2 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Found Photo : Stylin' on Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Old 13th March 2010, 20:01   #1099
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
Here are some gems listed as 'Found photos'.
Lovely! Needless to say I found the Herald pic. most intriguing!

It appears to be an early (1961-62) mk1, I suspect its been repainted, especially going by the way the stripe has been painted on the rear wing. They were not known to have come in this colour combo either.

Where would the last pic with the hudson taxi have been taken? The fort seems familiar but am not able to place it, but going by the BYU regn. of the taxi, it seems to have been somewhere in MH itself?
Old 14th March 2010, 16:50   #1100
Senior - BHPian

The last pic with the guys and the Lambretta reminds you of the Beetles
What is that fort in the pic with the Hudson Taxi
Old 15th March 2010, 10:36   #1101
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
Where would the last pic with the hudson taxi have been taken? The fort seems familiar but am not able to place it, but going by the BYU regn. of the taxi, it seems to have been somewhere in MH itself?
Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
What is that fort in the pic with the Hudson Taxi
I have a feeling that it could be Aurangabad, as the city has plenty of similar historic structures. Have also seen a couple of BYU Tata MB trucks there.
Old 15th March 2010, 21:29   #1102
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have a feeling that it could be Aurangabad, as the city has plenty of similar historic structures. Have also seen a couple of BYU Tata MB trucks there.
More precisely Daulatabad, if so these things could be lying around somewhere in the country side. I have seen old cars strewn all over the place in these parts.
Old 15th March 2010, 21:50   #1103
BHPian

Here's a photograph taken just after the main wedding pujas on my grandparent's wedding day, July 9th, 1939. They are being driven out of our former country estate, going back to our residence in Calcuta. My grandparents are the 2 people sitting at the rear of the car, a Rolls Royce Silver Ghost that was bought by my great grandfather in the early 1920s, a photograph of which I had posted in another thread, hoping to find more information on this particular car. The car must have already been nearly 20 years old by the time this photo was taken, but was still used for all important family occasions. It seems to me that the flower decorations on wooden frames with wire netting must have done some damage to the paintwork, though I can at least make out that the licence plate reads WBA 8387. This was the last time that my grand parents actually sat in this Rolls.
Attached Thumbnails
Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-weddingday_2.jpg  

mbz180 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th March 2010, 14:01   #1104
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbz180 View Post
Here's a photograph taken just after the main wedding pujas on my grandparent's wedding day, July 9th, 1939. They are being driven out of our former country estate, going back to our residence in Calcuta. My grandparents are the 2 people sitting at the rear of the car, a Rolls Royce Silver Ghost that was bought by my great grandfather in the early 1920s, a photograph of which I had posted in another thread, hoping to find more information on this particular car. The car must have already been nearly 20 years old by the time this photo was taken, but was still used for all important family occasions. It seems to me that the flower decorations on wooden frames with wire netting must have done some damage to the paintwork, though I can at least make out that the licence plate reads WBA 8387. This was the last time that my grand parents actually sat in this Rolls.
Hi MBZ,
Very nice picture. Unfortunately not very clear. I have a doubt about the number being from WBA series, because that came much after 1939. If the car was registered in the 1920's, then it would have had a number upto 5 digits. Thereafter a number like BLB etc, WBA was probably introduced late in the 1940's.
Please try to get a high resolution scan, and try to restore this pic.
Are there any others?

Cheers harit
Old 17th March 2010, 11:43   #1105
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
Hi MBZ,
Very nice picture. Unfortunately not very clear. I have a doubt about the number being from WBA series, because that came much after 1939. If the car was registered in the 1920's, then it would have had a number upto 5 digits. Thereafter a number like BLB etc, WBA was probably introduced late in the 1940's.
Please try to get a high resolution scan, and try to restore this pic.
Are there any others?

Cheers harit
Hi Harit,

Yes, you are probably right about it not being WBA, that was just a guess, but from the original photo I have, I can see that the numbers on the temporary cardboard plate is 8387. In fact I had a 1939 Austin 8 Tourer that was WGK 230. The actual number plate must have been hidden what with all the flowers etc. I have posted another photo of the same Rolls, a much earlier photo, probably mid 1920s, but that too did not come out very clearly (uploaded on the Rolls Royces in India thread, page 76) because the photo is framed and would not fit in my scanner, so I had to take a photo of the photo! But I will try to get it out of the frame and get a high resolution scan. The best photo of this car is in the house of a late aunt of mine, I will have to try and get permission from her family to get a copy of that photo. I am sure the full number is visible in that. This wedding photo seems quite decent in real but when I scan, it seems to get this whiteish-silver reflection. I also have another small photo where only part of the grille of the car is visible, will try and find that tonight. I am really keen to know more about this car.

Regards
Prithvi

Last edited by mbz180 : 17th March 2010 at 11:52. Reason: worng page written
Old 17th March 2010, 12:44   #1106
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the mole View Post
More precisely Daulatabad.
Yup, a friend confirms it is indeed Daulatabad.
Old 17th March 2010, 17:25   #1107
Senior - BHPian

Another nice old pic.
Is this Ritz Hotel in Pune?
Car is a Kaiser/Frazer.

Cheers harit
Attached Thumbnails
Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-op-frazer.jpg  

harit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th March 2010, 17:42   #1108
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Another nice old pic.
Car is a Kaiser/Frazer.
Nope, Ritz hotel in Pune is much smaller, and not so grand (but still a gorgeous looking building).
Old 17th March 2010, 18:17   #1109
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yup, a friend confirms it is indeed Daulatabad.
Are you sure about that? I am not. Depending upon the angle, there should be a tall pillar, Chand Minar 64 meters high. And Daulatabad Fort is on a hill, I forgot now but some 300 odd steps high. When in doubt, just google.
The Hudson Fort (till correctly identified) is definitely within Maharashtra or close to its borders, and because there is not much apparent height, it could be even some place like Sangli.
Karl, please do visit the tourist attractions in Aurangabad, since you live there for quite a while and check this for us. First you have to identify and find this Fort, then you look for the Hudson.
And seeing Aurangabad's tourist attractions is a new high when seen for the first time.

Cheers harit

Last edited by harit : 17th March 2010 at 18:21.
Old 17th March 2010, 20:11   #1110
BHPian

Quote:
Another nice old pic.
Car is a Kaiser/Frazer.

Cheers harit
Hi ,This is the RITZ hotel in Hyderabad,the original HILL FORT PALACE, the residence ofone of the princes ofTHE 7th NIZAM of HYDERANAD

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks