Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Excursions
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 22nd July 2009, 21:34   #181
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by discoverwild View Post
What's that on the back of the same jeep above the spare wheel?
That one is Bike(bi-cycle) carrier, useful if you like to do camping at a valley. The one sanjay fitted on his Jeep is light weight and good one.

I wish to see a aluminum body(frame) cycle hanging out there, in fact I had similar plans and inquired with the BSA dealer here for the light weight cycle and the quote came around Rs.16K
Old 22nd July 2009, 22:16   #182
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by trammway View Post
That one is Bike(bi-cycle) carrier, useful if you like to do camping at a valley. The one sanjay fitted on his Jeep is light weight and good one.

I wish to see a aluminum body(frame) cycle hanging out there, in fact I had similar plans and inquired with the BSA dealer here for the light weight cycle and the quote came around Rs.16K
Hi Shiva
If you are looking at light weight Sturdy MTB Check with Fire fox,i bought Hercules with aluminium Frame I am Not Satisfied,My Sons Fire fox is Very Good in All Aspects.
Old 22nd July 2009, 22:21   #183
Senior - BHPian

Thanks, Trammway.

Will be in Chennai this weekend. Let's see if we can meet.
Old 22nd July 2009, 23:10   #184
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swastikviji View Post
Hi Shiva
If you are looking at light weight Sturdy MTB Check with Fire fox,i bought Hercules with aluminium Frame I am Not Satisfied,My Sons Fire fox is Very Good in All Aspects.

Sir, Do post some pics of it. Is firefox an Indian brand and available easily ?
Old 22nd July 2009, 23:46   #185
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Personally I don't like the placement of the Hi-Lift jack in Sanjay's Jeep.
I agree. Even I am not happy with that position, I am more curious about the mount brackets, their strength, etc.

Quote:
2. They are heavy and handling it above 4ft height impractical and again this will add up the damages to the area it is fixed
I may not have Arka's muscles, but I am no slouch. I too have the 48 inch HLJ and I have even considered how it can be wielded as a weapon in a pinch.

Quote:
I think similar setup has been done with SwasticViji MM540.
And I remember what happened to it in Munnar. I am really scared about dropping it on the highway from an improper mount and cause a major accident.
Old 22nd July 2009, 23:59   #186
BHPian

Quote:
And I remember what happened to it in Munnar. I am really scared about dropping it on the highway from an improper mount and cause a major accident.
Hi Samurai

The bolting System has been rectified, i don't have any problem with the mounting after Munnar OTR .

Last edited by khan_sultan : 23rd July 2009 at 09:33.
Old 23rd July 2009, 14:38   #187
Senior - BHPian

Hi-Lift -Low-Mount

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
I agree. Even I am not happy with that position, I am more curious about the mount brackets, their strength, etc.

I may not have Arka's muscles, but I am no slouch. I too have the 48 inch HLJ and I have even considered how it can be wielded as a weapon in a pinch.

Hi Samurai,

You can mount it on the foot rest behind the front fender.

The Army Pick Axe Edge Head bracket can be used to hold the Hi-Lift Jack (as in Sanjay David's vehicle)

Regards,

Arka

PS - In a pinch you can pull out (twist 'n' release) the Hi-Lift jacking handle, I personally prefer wielding the entire assembly
Old 23rd July 2009, 17:20   #188
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Since this will enable the hi-lift jack to stay vertical position and only maximum of 2ft above the ground level, the handling of the hi-lift jack become easy in an emergency.
WHat about the effects on GC?

BTW, lets request the Mods to shift this HLJ stuff into another thread. please!
Old 23rd July 2009, 19:43   #189
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
WHat about the effects on GC?

BTW, lets request the Mods to shift this HLJ stuff into another thread. please!
Ok, what I mean by 2ft height is above the rear bumper and by fabricating an additional platform from the chassis. Hence no issues in the GC.

May be a 14 gauge steel plate to bolt on the chassis to provide platform to the hi-lift jack to stand. There could be another clip or lockable holder near to the top edge of the body tub to hold the hi-lift jack and also protect it from falling down or unauthorized removals. I'm going to fabricate this one in the near future, may be it will give better idea.

Surely, Mods please create and shift this posts to a new HLJ thread.
Old 25th July 2009, 12:00   #190
BHPian

Quote:
Ok, what I mean by 2ft height is above the rear bumper and by fabricating an additional platform from the chassis. Hence no issues in the GC.

May be a 14 gauge steel plate to bolt on the chassis to provide platform to the hi-lift jack to stand. There could be another clip or lockable holder near to the top edge of the body tub to hold the hi-lift jack and also protect it from falling down or unauthorized removals. I'm going to fabricate this one in the near future, may be it will give better idea.

Surely, Mods please create and shift this posts to a new HLJ thread.
Quote:
Hi Samurai,

Personally I don't like the placement of the Hi-Lift jack in Sanjay's Jeep. The reason is

1. You may damage the area while taking out and fixing Hi-Lift jack in an emergency situation. Since it is placed horizontal position you need to drag it from either direction.

2. They are heavy and handling it above 4ft height impractical and again this will add up the damages to the area it is fixed

My Suggestions:

As I've also got a Hi-Lift jack (48" all cast), I would like to find a permanent place on my Classic. Now we both stand on SWB Jeep category, I don't know what size is your Hi-Lift jack. Even the 4ft or 48" Hi-lift jack don't have space inside our body tub.

I always think that we need to retrofit an additional plate(platform) to hold the high lift above the rear bumper right hand side without touching the tail lamps. There could be one more holder setup with lockable hinges to protect the Hi-Lift jack getting stolen or unauthorized removal.

Since this will enable the hi-lift jack to stay vertical position and only maximum of 2ft above the ground level, the handling of the hi-lift jack become easy in an emergency.

I think similar setup has been done with SwasticViji MM540.

Since the recovery stuffs are going to be used in emergency situation, access to those tools should not have any hindrance. Ask yourself "Looks or Purpose"
You seem to be preparing quite hard for the event. Quite visible from the kind of background work you have been doing. Hope to see the classic in action. All the best for TPC 09
Old 26th July 2009, 00:31   #191
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrol_head View Post
You seem to be preparing quite hard for the event. Quite visible from the kind of background work you have been doing. Hope to see the classic in action. All the best for TPC 09

Not really, I'm planning for an all alone offroad adventure in the near future hence all possible recovery items.

As of now my schedule stands outside the TPC 09, it will be a disappointment.
Old 26th July 2009, 08:20   #192
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Not really, I'm planning for an all alone offroad adventure in the near future hence all possible recovery items.

As of now my schedule stands outside the TPC 09, it will be a disappointment.
Hey Siva. I thought you were preparing well for the TPC09. Sad to see you miss out on a good event that sharpens your skills!

Be careful when you offroad alone - One of the thumbrules is never offroad alone !
Old 26th July 2009, 11:35   #193
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
Hey Siva. I thought you were preparing well for the TPC09. Sad to see you miss out on a good event that sharpens your skills!

Be careful when you offroad alone - One of the thumbrules is never offroad alone !

Yes, I agree on the thump rules but we break the rules all the time. ;-)

I wish all you guys have good experience in Palar. All the very best.
Old 27th July 2009, 18:48   #194
BHPian

Hi siva, what do you mean by wishing us, aren't you joining us for TPC?
Dr.Jones
Old 27th July 2009, 19:59   #195
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drjones View Post
Hi siva, what do you mean by wishing us, aren't you joining us for TPC?
Dr.Jones
Hi Doc,

Yup, I won't be able to participate on the TPC 09.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks