Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th November 2013, 13:28   #421
Senior - BHPian

re: Never thought I'd buy a Mahindra Thar! My Jeep Story. EDIT: Now sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by showboat View Post
Well thats good news. I guess the next step is figuring out how easy it is to take the soft-top off with the new screws. If its too difficult, I might end up getting a hardtop sooner than I want.
The new plastic screws have only replaced the plastic clips, which had a tendency to break off. Irrespective of these screws, removing and fixing the soft-top is not an easy affair.

But I will let you figure this one out when you get your Thar. Let this suffice for now - before buying mine, I was quite sure I wouldn't go for a hard top. And it didn't take me very long to get one.

Quote:
How happy are you with the sound quality of your ICE with the hardtop? Is it worth spending a lot and put in a top tier system with the works.
Not worth it at all. Although I had the doors damped and went in for components, the thin panels and lack of space/ general insulation don't help the SQ any bit. I finally moved the speakers out of the doors to boxes in the rear and the acoustics are slightly better now.

Whether you spend 10k on ICE or 40K, there's not going to be much difference. Stick to sasta, sundar, tikaoo for the Thar.

Last edited by manveet : 9th November 2013 at 13:31.
manveet is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th November 2013, 18:36   #422
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manveet View Post
The new plastic screws have only replaced the plastic clips, which had a tendency to break off. Irrespective of these screws, removing and fixing the soft-top is not an easy affair. But I will let you figure this one out when you get your Thar. Let this suffice for now - before buying mine, I was quite sure I wouldn't go for a hard top. And it didn't take me very long to get one.
That seems to be a common sentiment among the Thar owners that I have met here in Chennai. After a Bimbra top and an HHT there are two happier customers. I've budgeted 1 lakh for the hardtop so let's hope I can collect some interest first.

Quote:
Not worth it at all. Although I had the doors damped and went in for components, the thin panels and lack of space/ general insulation don't help the SQ any bit. I finally moved the speakers out of the doors to boxes in the rear and the acoustics are slightly better now. Whether you spend 10k on ICE or 40K, there's not going to be much difference. Stick to sasta, sundar, tikaoo for the Thar.
Ok good to know. I was planning on just using my Jabra Solemate bluetooth speaker for the short term. Spending on tyres and probably an unnecessary amount of OEM accessories, so in no rush to spend on ICE in the beginning. Any recommendations on tire width? If I go all the way upto a 255 will I have issues with rubbing against the fenders?
Old 10th November 2013, 11:26   #423
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Ok good to know. I was planning on just using my Jabra Solemate bluetooth speaker for the short term. Spending on tyres and probably an unnecessary amount of OEM accessories, so in no rush to spend on ICE in the beginning. Any recommendations on tire width? If I go all the way upto a 255 will I have issues with rubbing against the fenders?
Slow down on the OEM accessories and figure it out as you go along. Some of the accessories are good whereas others are overpriced and crap quality.

Yokohama Geolanders AT 255's in 16 inches are recommended all purpose tires. The pictures on the first page of my thread will give you a fair idea of what they would look like.
Old 11th November 2013, 06:17   #424
BHPian

Quote:
Slow down on the OEM accessories and figure it out as you go along. Some of the accessories are good whereas others are overpriced and crap quality.
I'm getting a good deal on the accessories so thought I'd go with OEM over custom making them later. Accessories ordered:

Big Items
  • SA Roll Over bar
  • Front bumper with winch plate
  • Chrome Side steps
  • Wheel arches from expedition kit
  • Center Console
Small Items
  • Seat Covers
  • Gear Shroud
  • Front Light Grill
  • Rear Light Grill
  • Insect Mesh
Quote:
Yokohama Geolanders AT 255's in 16 inches are recommended all purpose tires. The pictures on the first page of my thread will give you a fair idea of what they would look like.
I really like the size of your tires. Did you use any spacers to avoid any contact between tire and the underneath?

For the tires, I am deciding between:
  • Michelin Lattitude Cross
  • Yoko Geolander
  • Pirelli Scorpion
  • Continental Conti Contact 4x4

I'm leaning towards the Latitude Cross because they are supposed to be great in mud, and I have a lot of mud in my daily commute. I have had great history with both Yokos and Pirellis so will be comfortable with either of those. I do not know much about the Continentals, but they look good.

I think final pricing for the 255's will play a role. Would you be able to post or PM me how much the trade-in value was for the stock tires and caps. I want to make sure my tire guy is quoting me a fair value.
Old 12th November 2013, 17:16   #425
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I'm getting a good deal on the accessories so thought I'd go with OEM over custom making them later. Accessories ordered:

Big Items
  • SA Roll Over bar
  • Front bumper with winch plate
  • Chrome Side steps
  • Wheel arches from expedition kit
  • Center Console
Small Items
  • Seat Covers
  • Gear Shroud
  • Front Light Grill
  • Rear Light Grill
  • Insect Mesh
I like the homework done on your accessories list. Are you sure you want to go for the chrome side steps?

And AFAIK the gear shroud comes as part of the centre console. Unless I am off the mark on what a gear shroud is. Also, will you be retaining the side facing seats, etc. .. why not hold on to the seat covers decision until a little later.

Quote:
I really like the size of your tires. Did you use any spacers to avoid any contact between tire and the underneath?
The tire size I am using will give you absolutely ZERO problem with fenders or touching anywhere else.

But yes, I have used spacers on the rear wheels with the objective of matching rear tire track to the front and hence improving the stance. In the stock Thar the rear tire track is narrower than the front and looks kind of weird from behind.

Quote:
I think final pricing for the 255's will play a role. Would you be able to post or PM me how much the trade-in value was for the stock tires and caps. I want to make sure my tire guy is quoting me a fair value.
If I remember correctly I paid approx. Rs. 2500-3000 per tire extra when I traded in the OE tires and rims. The cost of alloys was over and above the trade-in.

Last edited by manveet : 12th November 2013 at 17:17.
Old 12th November 2013, 21:48   #426
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Sorry guys. DB ji's response on passive snorkel is still eagerly awaited. Lately, he has been conspicuous by his absence.
Dear Manveet - sorry for delayed response, I have moved on to many new and exciting projects. Anything below 25 tonnes payload seems like a toy now. Driving a vehicle after sitting on the first floor balcony is a wonderful experience. Also, no time at all.

On passive snorkel, its very simple. In the production set-up, the dirty air comes inside the air cleaner through the front and the clean air goes out the back. In principle, you can turn the air cleaner assembly by 180 degrees so that the dirty air inlet faces backwards. Make a hole in the dash panel near the brake booster (reinforce it suitably otherwise body crack will start) and route the dirty air hose in the area behind the instrument panel. Take care to ensure clear air path to the dirty hose. You don't really have to have the elephant's snout hanging out of the vehicle. Be careful if you attempt to do this, you will need to develop the air cleaner mounting brackets, new hoses and change the bend of the clean air hose because of the new orientation.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th November 2013, 06:16   #427
BHPian

Quote:

I like the homework done on your accessories list. Are you sure you want to go for the chrome side steps?

And AFAIK the gear shroud comes as part of the centre console. Unless I am off the mark on what a gear shroud is. Also, will you be retaining the side facing seats, etc. .. why not hold on to the seat covers decision until a little later.
So no accessories have been paid for yet. It's all been negotiated and on delivery I will look at each one and decide.

The chrome sidesteps are not my first choice but I live next to salt flats, and my daily commute requires me to drive through them. The OEM powder coated ones will rust within a week I'm sure. If I go chrome atleast I know I can get it replated as needed. Any other suggestions would be great though.

Thanks for the tip on the shroud, I'll check when I go in for the PDI. I plan on removing the back seats fully, so maybe I will pass on the seat covers also, unless they can just give me the front seats. Otherwise will look at aftermarket options. I'd like to put in some nice art leather or even leather seats, but only after a HT is installed.

Quote:
The tire size I am using will give you absolutely ZERO problem with fenders or touching anywhere else.

But yes, I have used spacers on the rear wheels with the objective of matching rear tire track to the front and hence improving the stance. In the stock Thar the rear tire track is narrower than the front and looks kind of weird from behind.

If I remember correctly I paid approx. Rs. 2500-3000 per tire extra when I traded in the OE tires and rims. The cost of alloys was over and above the trade-in.
Ah ok. I definitely like the bigger tires. Oh that's all the upgrade was? They are asking almost that much for the 235 geolanders, and more than 4000 for the 255. Would it be possible to PM me so we can take the tire discussion offline?

Thanks.
Old 13th November 2013, 09:44   #428
BHPian

Quote:
Ah ok. I definitely like the bigger tires. Oh that's all the upgrade was? They are asking almost that much for the 235 geolanders, and more than 4000 for the 255. Would it be possible to PM me so we can take the tire discussion offline?

Thanks.
In my case, i paid Rs 500 per tyre (for four tyres) and no cost for the stepney to upgrade to 235s Geloanders. And there were two dealers who agreed to this arrangement. Apparantly, the bridgestone duellers which come stock on the Thar are in great demand for the Taxi operator's Scorpios for there great service life.
samwagon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th November 2013, 11:23   #429
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The chrome sidesteps are not my first choice but I live next to salt flats, and my daily commute requires me to drive through them. The OEM powder coated ones will rust within a week I'm sure. If I go chrome atleast I know I can get it replated as needed. Any other suggestions would be great though.
I would still suggest to hold on to that decision. There are some good aftermarket manufacturers down south for bumpers, rock sliders, sidesteps, etc. Trust me, with the kind of inflated prices (of all) and poor quality of (most) accessories, any price saving you think you are having is only notional.

Quote:
Thanks for the tip on the shroud, I'll check when I go in for the PDI. I plan on removing the back seats fully, so maybe I will pass on the seat covers also, unless they can just give me the front seats. Otherwise will look at aftermarket options. I'd like to put in some nice art leather or even leather seats, but only after a HT is installed.
Quote:

Thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by samwagon View Post
In my case, i paid Rs 500 per tyre (for four tyres) and no cost for the stepney to upgrade to 235s Geloanders. And there were two dealers who agreed to this arrangement. Apparantly, the bridgestone duellers which come stock on the Thar are in great demand for the Taxi operator's Scorpios for there great service life.
Which also reminds me, double check on the Roll-over bars. Those guys committed me the SA ones but what they finally put was some local crap. On the tires and seats, cannot PM you as you're still a newbie. But all this is covered in first few pages of this thread but anyhow, I have rechecked my notes and compiled the info.

I paid 12,500/- for a set of 5 Yoko Geolanders of 255 section. The rate agreed on with my dealer of choice was 12,000/- but it was late evening and he had shut shop by the time I got delivery of the vehicle and bought alloys (which were 30-35K) for a set of five. I was keen to get the tire upgrade on the day of delivery so didn't mind paying extra.

On the seats, you should be able to trade in the front and rear seats for about 4-6K and old Innova front seats cost 2-2.5K. They will be beige but doesn't matter since you plan to change the covers anyway.

The Innova seats were one of the best decisions I have made my on Jeep. Strongly recommended. Avoid re-upholstery or extra-cushioning of the existing seats. Nothing you get done aftermarket on those seats can be as good as Toyota Innova OE seats.

Hope I was able to help.

Cheers!

Last edited by manveet : 13th November 2013 at 11:27.
Old 13th November 2013, 14:42   #430
BHPian

Quote:
I would still suggest to hold on to that decision. There are some good aftermarket manufacturers down south for bumpers, rock sliders, sidesteps, etc. Trust me, with the kind of inflated prices (of all) and poor quality of (most) accessories, any price saving you think you are having is only notional.
Ok, I'll ask around and see who people recommend down here. I've negotiated my accessories discount into the base cost so even if I don't take an accessory I get my discount.

Quote:
Which also reminds me, double check on the Roll-over bars. Those guys committed me the SA ones but what they finally put was some local crap.
Very good to know. They ordered the parts according to the part numbers provided in the Thar threads. So I'm hoping it will be all legitimate. They did say they will fabricate the part that joins the roll bar to the targa band.

Quote:
On the seats, you should be able to trade in the front and rear seats for about 4-6K and old Innova front seats cost 2-2.5K. They will be beige but doesn't matter since you plan to change the covers anyway.

The Innova seats were one of the best decisions I have made my on Jeep. Strongly recommended. Avoid re-upholstery or extra-cushioning of the existing seats. Nothing you get done aftermarket on those seats can be as good as Toyota Innova OE seats.

Hope I was able to help.

Cheers!
Did you have to do some changes to your seat tracks to get the seats installed? I don't know if I know a mechanic shop trustworthy enough to do all the work. If any of the Chennai team know of a good place please let me know. I'd like to do some carpet work also.

Quote:
On the tires and seats, cannot PM you as you're still a newbie. But all this is covered in first few pages of this thread but anyhow, I have rechecked my notes and compiled the info. I paid 12,500/- for a set of 5 Yoko Geolanders of 255 section. The rate agreed on with my dealer of choice was 12,000/- but it was late evening and he had shut shop by the time I got delivery of the vehicle and bought alloys (which were 30-35K) for a set of five. I was keen to get the tire upgrade on the day of delivery so didn't mind paying extra.
Quote:
Originally Posted by samwagon View Post
So sounds like I'm getting a rotten deal. I've put on my negotiating hat now. Let's see what I can get them down to. Thanks for the info.
Old 14th November 2013, 10:00   #431
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Ok, I'll ask around and see who people recommend down here. I've negotiated my accessories discount into the base cost so even if I don't take an accessory I get my discount.
You can try Prad4x4. They are Bangalore based and deliver to Chennai. Plus there are a few Chennai Thar based threads on this forum so I am sure you will find good leads within Tbhp community.

Quote:
Very good to know. They ordered the parts according to the part numbers provided in the Thar threads. So I'm hoping it will be all legitimate. They did say they will fabricate the part that joins the roll bar to the targa band.
Fabrication of that part is not required. It comes as OE in SA so there would be part no. of that as well. The dealership should not have a problem figuring it out. Either ways, must say your dealership is very accommodating ..discounts, fabrication, and the works. Up here in the North, the demand-supply gap is such that no negotiation on car value is possible. Just some slight discounts on the accessories.

Quote:
Did you have to do some changes to your seat tracks to get the seats installed? I don't know if I know a mechanic shop trustworthy enough to do all the work.
Good question. Seats are traded in WITH the tracks. So its pretty much an unplug-drill-plug-play job. The Innova seat tracks may be slightly wider plus you may also want to play around with the fore-aft placement to best suit your needs. Any half-decent mechanic should be able to do the job with ease.
Old 14th November 2013, 13:08   #432
Senior - BHPian

What did you do with the original bench seats. I am willing to buy the smaller one if you have retained it to replace the one behind the passenger seat. Need some space to push back the seat there.
Old 14th November 2013, 19:58   #433
BHPian

Quote:
You can try Prad4x4. They are Bangalore based and deliver to Chennai. Plus there are a few Chennai Thar based threads on this forum so I am sure you will find good leads within Tbhp community.
I will go through their catalogue. Thanks.

Quote:
Fabrication of that part is not required. It comes as OE in SA so there would be part no. of that as well. The dealership should not have a problem figuring it out. Either ways, must say your dealership is very accommodating ..discounts, fabrication, and the works. Up here in the North, the demand-supply gap is such that no negotiation on car value is possible. Just some slight discounts on the accessories.
We tried requesting the part via the number DB sir gave. They were unable to locate it. Maybe I'll have them call their parts counterpart in Delhi or Bangalore. Maybe the guys at Koncept know.

Yes they have been very good. Of course it was an easy sale for them as I walked in and said 'I want to buy a Thar, got any?'. I'll explain in more detail in my ownership thread. But I would recommend any prospective Chennai buyers goto Zulaika Motors Velachery. Sales guy is Sriram. He's easily the most knowledgeable Thar rep in Chennai.

Quote:
Good question. Seats are traded in WITH the tracks. So its pretty much an unplug-drill-plug-play job. The Innova seat tracks may be slightly wider plus you may also want to play around with the fore-aft placement to best suit your needs. Any half-decent mechanic should be able to do the job with ease.
Awesome. Will definitely look into it if it's that easy. I'll try out the OE seats for a
bit then decide.

Did my PDI today and everything looked good. Brake booster has the new part number (751). According to the sales guy the vacuum is the same as before. Not upgraded to the bigger Scorpio one. Bummer.

And by the way sorry if I've hijacked this thread.
Attached Images

Old 16th November 2013, 12:03   #434
BHPian

Hi Manveet,
Do you know if anyone has tried putting power seats in the Thar? I was thinking once I put the hard top electric seats might not be a bad idea. But maybe I'm missing something? Will it be easy to run power to them?
Old 16th November 2013, 15:42   #435
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Manveet,
Do you know if anyone has tried putting power seats in the Thar? I was thinking once I put the hard top electric seats might not be a bad idea. But maybe I'm missing something? Will it be easy to run power to them?
I know someone who had put Accord seats in a City, but when I saw them the electrical connections were still pending. Not sure if he managed it or not. Also, more recently, Raj Kapoor (of Performance Auto) is using XUV500 seats in his Thar, not sure if XUV comes with electrically operated seats though.

But seriously, Lol. Your Jeep is not a BMW. And your BMW is not a Jeep. Enjoy the Jeep for what it is keeping electronic gizmos to the minimum.

That aside, I kind-of like the frequency you are on. Eagerly awaiting your Thar thread.

Last edited by manveet : 16th November 2013 at 15:43.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks