Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Bicycles

Search this Thread
Old 14th July 2022, 18:42   #6991
BANNED

Re: The Bicycles thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by kedar3223 View Post
What will be a good 1x upgrade on a triban 100 flatbar? I'm looking to increase spread of gear ratios, especially the climbing gears. Don't feel the need to upgrade the crank and fd.
Nothing. If you are not willing to add a FD, and put on a bigger crank, nothing can be done. You already have a 12-28 cassette. At best, you can make it 11-28 which gives only marginal benefit. Putting a bigger crank in place of the 44 T crank is not advisable because it will put extra x stress on your legs plus result in wide fluctuation in cadence. This, assuming you find bigger 1 x N crankset.

My suggestion is, go for Claris 2 x 8 shifters and derailleurs with appropriate crankset and upgrade the bottom bracket too - to maintain the chaline.

You can consider using thinner "slick" tyres, but you mention gear ratios, right?

Most mechanics will claim that you'll need to replace rear hub. It is not needed. 'RC 100 uses a 7 speed cassette with spacers on a 8/9/10 speed freehub.

Tip - While replacing the crank, check the crank arm length. AFAIK, all sizes of the RC 100 come with 170 mm crank arm. Measure your inseam accurately and find the difference between 1.09 times inseam and 0.883 times inseam. Will indicate if you need different crank arm length. Cranks with 172.5 mm arms seem to be easier to locate, but if you are shorter (frame size S, below 169 cm. Height, chances are bb you are better off with shorter crank arm.
BaCkSeAtDrIVeR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th July 2022, 17:55   #6992
BHPian

Hello All You PedalHeads,

Like most of you, I came back to cycling after my school days. And the first thing that struck me were the jargons. By Jove... to me it was always just two wheels and pedals attached to your seat of freedom.

Anyways, after some a few weeks of google research and hours of how to and what to and review videos and some test rides, I settled for a BTWIN ROCKRIDER ST30 couple of weeks back.... 2nd July to be precise.
The Bicycles thread-img_0700.jpg

I have been taking it lightly. 2-3 kms a day for the first week. Second week I pushed it to 4. With adequate rest and so on. (I have a history of ACL reconstruction, hence just want to ease into the regime)
I did get the sit bone pain on day 4 and was out of action for good 4 days. Again google-baba's advice to remove the seat cover worked. The pain hasn't come back yet. Yesterday and today were my rest days. And I plan to push tomorrows ride to 6-7 kms.

So much for the background.
Now for the queries.

After the sit bone pain issue my but has become very aware of the narrow saddle. Though the pain hasn't returned yet, I am planning to change to a wider saddle. Decathlon offers one. But can't find any review of the same. Any one here has any idea? Or shall I go for after market stuff. Any recommendation for wider saddles?

Secondly, I am feeling a stretch on my lower back after riding. (maybe because I am new to this... though I think I have basic stable core. I can do 12-14 hours of four wheel driving without flinching...but cycling is a whole new game) I understand this is normal. All cyclists feel it. Yet was considering raising the handle bar stem to make it easier. I have read about air-drag increasing but not really concerned about that. My main concerns are two.

First has anyone done it here with a Rockrider cycle and what is the result?

Secondly, as I understand, there are two ways to do this.

a) Buy a bicycle stem extender from amazon/local third cycle shop and get it fixed by a local repair guy. I am guessing it will affect the length of brake wires and I am not sure if decathlon service will accept OEM parts.)

b) Else buy the angular adjustable stem from decathlon and get it fixed there? (decathlon doesn't have the simple stem extenders. This I think will not affect the length of brake wires)

Which one is better?
Is anyone using an adjustable angle stem here?
Does it make any difference?

And my last question.
Am I overthinking this? Should I ride for a few more months, see how my body reacts and then decide what to do? Seat I am fairly sure I need a wider one.
Old 16th July 2022, 07:21   #6993
BHPian

Welcome back. I started 1 week before you did, faced similar pain in the underside but making sure that the bike fit me helped with it. I started off with 5km on day one and have gone all the way up to 25km in the 2nd week. I had done about 150odd km till 10th July from June 26th but the last week has been washed out by the incessant rain.

Does the bicycle look exactly the same as the photo right now? I am referring to the seat height here. That seat height looks OK if you are just about 5 ft tall. If you are not, you need to adjust the saddle height to fit you better.

As a ballpark, the top of the saddle should be roughly the same height as where you would have your waist/belt when you stand next to the bicycle.

For the exact level, place the heel of your foot on any one of the pedals. Now, you should be able to just about fully extend your leg while seated on the saddle. There is a very good video regarding this by GCN. Refer to it. The riding position found this way will take your weight off the underside and on to your arms thus reliving the pain you currently face.

Here's to many more miles on the saddle.

Rain seems to have stopped. #FingersCrossed
antz.bin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th July 2022, 08:51   #6994
BHPian

@antz.bin
To answer the seat height question… this pic was taken after my daughter took a ride on papa’s cycle. I am 5’10”. For me the saddle is much higher. But not exactly to my waist height. Keep it about an inch lower to the height from where the legs bend. I am guessing raising it further will force me to bend down more, putting more pressure on my lower back. But I will give it a try. I did a 7km ride today morning. All seems ok. Hope to touch 10 km next week.
Old 16th July 2022, 10:14   #6995
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by moeinuk View Post
After the sit bone pain issue my but has become very aware of the narrow saddle. Though the pain hasn't returned yet, I am planning to change to a wider saddle. Decathlon offers one. But can't find any review of the same. Any one here has any idea? Or shall I go for after market stuff. Any recommendation for wider saddles?

Secondly, I am feeling a stretch on my lower back after riding. (maybe because I am new to this... though I think I have basic stable core. I can do 12-14 hours of four wheel driving without flinching...but cycling is a whole new game) I understand this is normal. All cyclists feel it. Yet was considering raising the handle bar stem to make it easier. I have read about air-drag increasing but not really concerned about that. My main concerns are two.
Hi. Was in a similar situation some months back.

The ST 30 is, by decathlon standards, a heavy cycle. I believe it weights around 18 kg. Definitely more than 15. In contrast, the Riverside 120, slightly higher priced, weights around 14 kg.

People do 30+ km on the St 30. This model, like almost all models from Decathlon, comes in 3 sizes, and I hope you got the right size for your height. As pointed above, in you need to set the saddle height right. But this being an MTB, the bottom bracket will be about couple of cm higher than typical hybrid, to so you'll find reaching the ground a stretch while at standstill.

About saddle, consider buying a padded shorts. Their "500 trekking gel saddle" is ₹ 2.5 k. A padded shorts is always better. Do check you tube videos on measuring your sit before replacing saddle. You ought to be able to spend 20-30 minutes without any special clothing por saddle after about 15 days riding. A new saddle takes another 10 days of getting used to.

On stem height, first, confirm you have the right size cycle. Size will be written somewhere on the frame - top tube or seat tube. Search their site for bar ends. There are two models. Look at you tubes on the bar ends to understand how they work. Also, some models from Decathlon have height adjustable stems. Not sure about the ST 30. Get this done from decathlon itself, if possible. Please post a good photo of your handle bar, taken from directly about the centre of the handle. You also need to do some exercises to strengthen your core muscles.
BaCkSeAtDrIVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th July 2022, 11:47   #6996
BHPian

Quote:
Hello All You PedalHeads,

Like most of you, I came back to cycling after my school days. And the first thing that struck me were the jargons. By Jove... to me it was always just two wheels and pedals attached to your seat of freedom.

Anyways, after some a few weeks of google research and hours of how to and what to and review videos and some test rides, I settled for a BTWIN ROCKRIDER ST30 couple of weeks back.... 2nd July to be precise.
Attachment 2334304

I have been taking it lightly. 2-3 kms a day for the first week. Second week I pushed it to 4. With adequate rest and so on. (I have a history of ACL reconstruction, hence just want to ease into the regime)
I did get the sit bone pain on day 4 and was out of action for good 4 days. Again google-baba's advice to remove the seat cover worked. The pain hasn't come back yet. Yesterday and today were my rest days. And I plan to push tomorrows ride to 6-7 kms.

So much for the background.
Now for the queries.

First has anyone done it here with a Rockrider cycle and what is the result?

Secondly, as I understand, there are two ways to do this.

a) Buy a bicycle stem extender from amazon/local third cycle shop and get it fixed by a local repair guy. I am guessing it will affect the length of brake wires and I am not sure if decathlon service will accept OEM parts.)

b) Else buy the angular adjustable stem from decathlon and get it fixed there? (decathlon doesn't have the simple stem extenders. This I think will not affect the length of brake wires)

Which one is better?
Is anyone using an adjustable angle stem here?
Does it make any difference?

And my last question.
Am I overthinking this? Should I ride for a few more months, see how my body reacts and then decide what to do? Seat I am fairly sure I need a wider one.
Hi, I'm no expert, but just my 2 cents out of my experience.

- The sit bone area is will ache a little in the first week. Eventually, you'll get used to it.

- Not necessary that a wider saddle will give you comfort. The saddle just needs to accomodate your sit bones. Check you tube on how to measure your sit bone width. You'll understand it better in a video than me explaining it. Get a wider saddle only if your sit bone width is wider than the current saddle.

- A good padded shorts helps in reducing the chaffing and does provide some cushioning, though only for about initial 2-3 hours. If you are not comfortable with wearing lycra, you can get the Padded MTB Undershorts from Decathlon. I did that initially. Or, the essential bibless shorts is also pretty good for starter. I use it even now and no issues for 100+ km rides.

The back pain issue is normally not with bike, but our own bike fit ie. saddle height and setback. Also, while riding, keep the tummy tucked in and the abs a tight. "Suck it in" as they say. It'll help you strengthen your core, provide greater comfort + support and definitely help reduce back issues. Believe me, I've a slip disc and I have switched from a MTB to a road bike and done nearly 4,000 km since Nov'21.

For bike fit,-

- Sit on the bike and make yourself comfortable, while taking the support of the wall/ someone holding the bike / a home trainer. Adjust the saddle height
till the heel just about touches the pedal at the lowest position. You shouldn't shift on the saddle to do so. If you are shifting, the saddle is too high, if the heel easily touches, you are too low. Do wear the shoe and padded shorts you normally wear while riding.

- Next, move the saddle forward/backward by following the Knee Over Pedal Spindle (KOPS) methods. Using a DIY plumb line, the knee should be over the spindle of the pedal. Remember, when moving the saddle forward, move saddle up and vice versa.

The RockRider being a MTB, the reach should not be any issue.

Check a few videos,-

Hope it helps.
Junaid42465 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th July 2022, 12:05   #6997
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
Hi. Was in a similar situation some months back.

The ST 30 is, by decathlon standards, a heavy cycle. I believe it weights around 18 kg. Definitely more than 15. In contrast, the Riverside 120, slightly higher priced, weights around 14 kg.
Riverside 120 has a hybrid structure and gives a pretty upright comfortable stance. I checked it out too. But felt less confident about the thin wheels, given the kind of potholes I face in my daily rides. Hence settled for ST30.

Quote:
People do 30+ km on the St 30. This model, like almost all models from Decathlon, comes in 3 sizes, and I hope you got the right size for your height.
I am sure I too can. It's a great bike. Very easy to ride. I just started real slow to avoid any need of pain management. This is the large size. Prod spec says from 175 to 184cm. Wheel 26 inch. Seat is set at 26in from the centre of the paddle wheel based on inseam calculations.

Quote:
About saddle, consider buying a padded shorts. Their "500 trekking gel saddle" is ₹ 2.5 k. A padded shorts is always better. Do check you tube videos on measuring your sit before replacing saddle. You ought to be able to spend 20-30 minutes without any special clothing por saddle after about 15 days riding. A new saddle takes another 10 days of getting used to.
I am kind of averse to the idea. If I ever plan long distances, I may consider. But presently the target is 30 mins of cardio every day and occasional errands around the locality. At best weekends may see some 10-12 kms. I also wonde

Quote:
On stem height, first, confirm you have the right size cycle. Size will be written somewhere on the frame - top tube or seat tube. Search their site for bar ends. There are two models. Look at you tubes on the bar ends to understand how they work. Also, some models from Decathlon have height adjustable stems. Not sure about the ST 30. Get this done from decathlon itself, if possible. Please post a good photo of your handle bar, taken from directly about the centre of the handle.
The Bicycles thread-img_0716.jpg

The Bicycles thread-img_0717.jpg

The Bicycles thread-img_0718.jpg

ST30 doesn't have height adjustable stem. I mean, it can be lowered. But no space to move it up. The size is large good for 175 - 184 cm. I was wondering should I add a stem extender bar or replace with an angle adjustable stem? There are no handlebar ends at Decathlon. Only one angle adjustable stem is available.

Quote:
You also need to do some exercises to strengthen your core muscles.
I do work out regularly...but now i am realising all the cheat days are getting exposed big time.
moeinuk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th July 2022, 13:31   #6998
BHPian

I bought the ST30 a couple of weeks back. After seeing a ton of GCN and other cycling videos, I tried to do a bike fit on my own (I couldn't find anyone offering these services in Chennai). And I got the 2400 rupee gel saddle from Decathlon.

First off, the gel saddle is a bit more comfy than the default one - but IMO, it is not really worth the money. I find it chafes my inner thighs and while I have adjusted the level, there is still some uncomfortable pressure on my family jewels.

The second issue with this bike is the reach. I am forced to a ton of weight on my wrists while riding even though I got the correct frame size. I have ordered a generic stem raiser from Amazon, which should come next week.

I am able to do only about 3-4 kilometres of cycling daily due to the issues mentioned above and my low level of fitness. My wife, who got a st20, is now cycling 10+ kilometres daily, without any issues. So, I guess, it does depend on a lot of one's fitness as well as the bike fit.
Old 16th July 2022, 14:00   #6999
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hajaar View Post

The second issue with this bike is the reach. I am forced to a ton of weight on my wrists while riding even though I got the correct frame size. I have ordered a generic stem raiser from Amazon, which should come next week.
How do you plan to get it fitted? Locally?
Won’t a stem rises affect the length of the break and gear wires? Will eagerly wait for your update after you have done the fittings.
Old 16th July 2022, 15:52   #7000
BHPian

Quote:
How do you plan to get it fitted? Locally?
Won’t a stem rises affect the length of the break and gear wires? Will eagerly wait for your update after you have done the fittings.
I plan to do it myself. It seems pretty straightforward, going by the YouTube videos. If you haven't already, get an Allen key set - decathlon has one for 250 rupees.

Reg the rest of your question about the wire lengths - that is something I will have to find out when I install the new stem.
Old 16th July 2022, 20:58   #7001
BANNED

Quote:
I bought the ST30 a couple of weeks back. After seeing a ton of GCN and other cycling videos, I tried to do a bike fit on my own (I couldn't find anyone offering these

kilometres of cycling daily due to the issues mentioned above and my low level of fitness. My wife, who got a st20, is now cycling 10+ kilometres daily, without any issues. So, I guess, it does depend on a lot of one's fitness as well as the bike fit.
Yes, there is a shortage of bike fitting skills, and the ones I see cost 30-50% of the ST 30.

If you put weight on the handle, you better get a pair of gel padded gloves - like the Decathlon 900 half finger ones.

Quote:
Riverside 120 has a hybrid structure and gives a pretty upright comfortable stance. I checked it out too. But felt less confident about the thin wheels, given the kind of potholes I face in my daily rides. Hence settled for ST30.
You only needed the 700 x 35 C tyres. Those would be all right, as long as you are not too aggressive.

One problem with Indian market is lack of good commute bikes with tyres in range of 700 x 40 to 45 C sizes. One problem with knobby MTB tyres is that they offer more rolling resistance. So the energy drain is inevitable.

Quote:
This is the large size. Prod spec says from 175 to 184cm. Wheel 26 inch. Seat is set at 26in from the centre of the paddle wheel based on inseam calculations.
It Is 0.883 times inseam - center of bottom bracket v to top of sasaddle. But there are other methods too. Like "knees should be straight when feet are dangling with heels on pedals". Or 1.09 times inseam when pedals at lowest point to top of sasaddle.

Any way, don't rush with anything.
Old 18th July 2022, 22:47   #7002
Senior - BHPian

The real estate on my drop bar is quite limited, even with minimalist bell and blinker.
I realized that to put bell, light, GPS mount, blinker there is really not much space and the light taking most space. Enter this contraption from eBay that mounts on your stem (rather than on the handle) and also holds your light. This was really useful to me since the rubber strap on my NiteRider had broken months earlier and I was using it with zipties.

If you are GoPro junkie, the light can be removed and GoPro cam can be mounted. Attaching pic.

The Bicycles thread-20220718_095012.jpg
amol4184 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th July 2022, 12:44   #7003
BHPian

Quote:
I plan to do it myself. It seems pretty straightforward, going by the YouTube videos. If you haven't already, get an Allen key set - decathlon has one for 250 rupees.

Reg the rest of your question about the wire lengths - that is something I will have to find out when I install the new stem.

So, I returned the ST30 today because of severe quad and back pain. I might go in for the riverside 500. Both the riverside 500 and ST520 were significantly easier on my body when I test rode them today.
Old 20th July 2022, 13:17   #7004
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
So, I returned the ST30 today because of severe quad and back pain. I might go in for the riverside 500. Both the riverside 500 and ST520 were significantly easier on my body when I test rode them today.
Quote:
I tried to do a bike fit on my own (I couldn't find anyone offering these services in Chennai).
Looking at your previous posts, I would suggest still looking out for a bike fit service for whichever bike you eventually purchase. Have you tried connecting with regular riders in Chennai like @mi10 for suggestions? I'm sure there are shops offering bike fit as a paid service.

Mastermind Bicycle Studio is a chain of cycle stores who offer bike fit at least in Mumbai - try connecting with their Chennai store.
ninjatalli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th July 2022, 14:08   #7005
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post

Mastermind Bicycle Studio is a chain of cycle stores who offer bike fit at least in Mumbai - try connecting with their Chennai store.

Thank you. I will try that shop out before buying a new bicycle.

Most Viewed