Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th September 2020, 11:05   #14071
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
Having used an Android unit worth just INR 8000 & the Sony AX5000 worth more than INR 20000 both in my cars for a long time, I beg to differ a bit. The audio quality difference in the two is not noticeable at all. And certainly not worth the 12K extra that I had paid. Both are my owned units, so first hand experience. Of course there will be poorly made units too, but given the mass produced product dumping, most are identical & equally good.

I think a lot depends on the speakers you are running. A good set of speakers will highlight the limits of a HU. Also, off course the source of music. Playing 128kbps on even a good HU will not make it sound better than an inferior one. That's been my experience.
raaj.bhalla is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2020, 11:05   #14072
BHPian

Re: Car Audio Advice from the Audio Gurus: Use "Search thread" before posting a new Q!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
Having used an Android unit worth just INR 8000 & the Sony AX5000 worth more than INR 20000 both in my cars for a long time, I beg to differ a bit. The audio quality difference in the two is not noticeable at all. And certainly not worth the 12K extra that I had paid. Both are my owned units, so first hand experience. Of course there will be poorly made units too, but given the mass produced product dumping, most are identical & equally good.
can i know the brand of the 8k HU you mentioned, also is it available online to buy. i enquired in a local shop. there are android HU from 8k to 25k he told and confused me even more
jp2u is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2020, 11:41   #14073
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Car Audio Advice from the Audio Gurus: Use "Search thread" before posting a new Q!

Quote:
Originally Posted by raaj.bhalla View Post
I think a lot depends on the speakers you are running. A good set of speakers will highlight the limits of a HU. Also, off course the source of music. Playing 128kbps on even a good HU will not make it sound better than an inferior one. That's been my experience.
Absolutely valid point. In both cars - I had same Pioneer speaker setup. And audio source was/is highest quality audio streaming off Bluetooth from Spotify (paid member quality). I use that as a benchmark as generally satisfies needs of most people for routine music. Maybe not good enough for the pros though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp2u View Post
can i know the brand of the 8k HU you mentioned, also is it available online to buy. i enquired in a local shop. there are android HU from 8k to 25k he told and confused me even more
I ordered mine from here -

Motorbasket.com Online portal - Android HUs

And installed it myself. I got it during a sale 2-3 months back. Around 1.5k flat discount offer was on. Installed it as a DIY. (That project is present within this In-Car Entertainment subforum in fact.) Since your car has a speaker setup etc already - this will be a plug and play installation that won't need more than 30 minutes even at a lazy pace. Prices vary of course a bit based on the target car & required face plate / camera quality etc.

Last edited by Reinhard : 11th September 2020 at 11:56.
Old 12th September 2020, 21:40   #14074
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdp View Post
On the off-chance that your problem has not been resolved, my limited diagnosis is that the problem is with the woofer itself. I found the specs of the Pioneer TSW1211D4 / TS-w311D4 with some difficulty.
Thanks for the response from what little I could understand, what you described is precisely the issue that I am facing. I changed the box to a sealed one and now the bass is less impacting but I still hear the same issues on the same beats; droning resonance. Shall change the woofer and see if things change. The reason I was reluctant to do so was because I used to have a cheaper Pioneer woofer in a ported enclosure in the past which performed impeccably. Unfortunately that woofer has long since been lost by a friend who "borrowed" it. Shall do some research into the right sub keeping the values you posted in mind

Thanks once again for the detailed response
Old 12th September 2020, 21:53   #14075
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
Shall do some research into the right sub keeping the values you posted in mind. Thanks once again for the detailed response
What subwoofer are you looking to replace with? Sealed or Ported type?
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th September 2020, 21:57   #14076
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
What subwoofer are you looking to replace with? Sealed or Ported type?
Prefer ported for the extra feels it delivers got any recommendations? Any tasty used deals that you might be aware of?
Old 13th September 2020, 21:01   #14077
BHPian

I am in a really weird problem and cannot find any decent explanation on the forum or on the internet in general, would really appreciate all the help I can get as I have pretty poor understanding when it comes to audio tech.
Background; I recently took to my urge to upgrade the speakers in my Ecosport and replaced the front components with Infinity's reference series. The speakers sounded only slightly better than the stock units to which I thought it's because of no external amplifier. After a few weeks, I added Inifinity 12' subwoofer and an infinity 9004A amplifier, both connected to a pioneer deq-s1000a. Link here.
The issue is the tuning with the dsp. When I connect my phone to the app and run it on 'Car stereo mode' the music sounds great (for the price I spent) and the way I like it. The bass is punchy and strong. But as soon as I remove my phone, the dsp goes into 'Through mode' and this is where the issue arises. Now when I play my music with the phone connected via bluetooth to my stock headunit (flyaudio), I lose the sound quality drastically! In some songs, there is no bass and in some others - there is only distortion and nothing else - I'd say about 20% of the songs still sound fine. From the manual I figure out that I should only lose some features - but I'm not using a fancy equalizer setting or live simulation anyway (and the equalizer I am setting up via app is on 13 bands anyway). This is troublesome because I know the equipment is okay for the money I've spent and is capable enough to produce the kind of sound or punch I like but I cannot figure out the tuning at all.
Help!
Old 14th September 2020, 14:12   #14078
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chugh_H View Post
The issue is the tuning with the dsp. When I connect my phone to the app and run it on 'Car stereo mode' the music sounds great (for the price I spent) and the way I like it. The bass is punchy and strong. But as soon as I remove my phone, the dsp goes into 'Through mode' and this is where the issue arises. Now when I play my music with the phone connected via bluetooth to my stock headunit (flyaudio), I lose the sound quality drastically!
Could be something as simple as the bluetooth audio codec that your phone defaults to when streaming via the headunit
IshaanIan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th September 2020, 14:49   #14079
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
Could be something as simple as the bluetooth audio codec that your phone defaults to when streaming via the headunit
Thanks! I was thinking of the same this morning and tried playing audio via USB cable connected to FlyAudio directly but it doesn't solve for much.
I'd also like to explain further if it helps - when connected to DSP on my iPhone and playing music via my iPad which is connected to car stereo via bluetooth, the music sounds great and crisp but when I disconnect my phone the DSP switches to 'Through mode' (I think) and the music starts sounding coarse.
If I stay connected to the DSP through my iPhone and change the mode to 'Through', it's the same story.
Also, I have not yet done the source calibration, not sure if that is messing up the sound quality by any chance.

I'm starting to think it could be a wiring issue and have got in touch with the store I bought it from (The Drift, Whitefield). The owner mentioned they will get in touch with the pioneer India technicians to seek help if required, and I can get the car to them and they can help tune it.
Old 14th September 2020, 23:36   #14080
BHPian

Are there any lockable/anti-theft headunits?

I'm looking to install a music system in my Thar, but it is used without any softtop about 50% of the time, and I fear the headunit can be easily stolen.

Wondering if there are any headunits that cannot be easily stolen, or if placing it inside the glovebox is the only option for me.
Old 15th September 2020, 15:30   #14081
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by N.A.GTC View Post
Are there any lockable/anti-theft headunits?
There are many headunits whose faceplates are removable. If you remove the faceplate the HU loses its value as it can't be operated without it.
Old 18th September 2020, 16:08   #14082
BHPian

I need an upgrade from my old Alpine double din to a newer variant. Priorities are better sound quality and connectivity as the Alpine does not even have a bluetooth option and the USB slot has gone kaput. Currently being managed with an external bluetooth device connected via Aux.

The options I currently have (from Motorogue) are Pioneer's MVH-s329BT and Sony's WX920BT - both are within my budget of <8K.

Now my speakers are run by a 4 channel amp and Sub is controlled by another 2 channel amp. So pre-out wise from the above options Pioneer unit has 2 outs while Sony has 3 again with higher peak channel watts. What according to the audio gurus here would be a better choice?

Aesthetics and feature wise I liked the Pioneer.
Sound quality wise would Sony really excel here?

Note: I had posted this yesterday on the 'Upgrading your OEM Car Audio using DSPs (budget version)' thread, posting again as I couldn't gather any response:

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/car-e...ml#post4888381 (Upgrading your OEM Car Audio using DSPs (budget version))

Last edited by unni246 : 18th September 2020 at 16:13.
Old 18th September 2020, 20:41   #14083
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by unni246 View Post
I need an upgrade from my old Alpine double din to a newer variant.
Not an answer, but a similar question. I too want to upgrade my old Alpine singe DIN CDE 9871 EHI to a newer system. This was stock in my 2008 Honda City ZX Gxi. I want a system mainly with Bluetooth/ CarPlay. Rear camera would be a bonus. Only reason I want to change is to have bluetooth telephony and the door to the DIN pocket has broken and am unable to procure a classy replacement like the original one.
However I would like the new system to be plug and play. I really don't want to cut and resolver the wires or hunt around for an adaptor. Does this restrict my options to another Alpine system only? (These are very expensive). Or will the stock plug fit in any other company's stereo? (Options please?)
Old 26th September 2020, 19:07   #14084
BHPian

Need help,

There is a Pioneer TSW Shallow Mount 9'' Subwoofer in the boot bridged over two channels of a 50.4 soundgate Amplifier.

The bass is loose and not very thumpy. The impact seems lacking. Doesn't feel very hard.

what could be the reason
Old 26th September 2020, 20:16   #14085
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by viXit View Post
There is a Pioneer TSW Shallow Mount 9'' Subwoofer in the boot bridged over two channels of a 50.4 soundgate Amplifier.

The bass is loose and not very thumpy. The impact seems lacking. Doesn't feel very hard.
A few questions to you:

1) Can you give the exact model numbers of the subwoofer and amplifier used?

2) The box that the subwoofer is mounted in, are they pre-made or custom-made to specifications?

3) Sealed or ported?

4) What crossovers and slope area used?

5) Crossovers are set on amplifier or HU?
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks