Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th July 2020, 20:09   #14041
Senior - BHPian

Review of Blaupunkt New York 750

I bought a Blaupunkt New York 750 on 14.06.2020 to replace the stock system in my 2015 Honda Mobilio RS. It is a 6.75” capacitative touch screen with wireless Carplay and wired Android Auto. Front and rear USB port and Rear view camera input. Steering controls with learn mode. Aux-in available. Very good value for money.
Name:  Screen Shot 20200728 at 8.03.46 PM.png
Views: 1789
Size:  64.6 KB
The Stereo was installed at Sunny Car Jewels, Vidyaranyapura. The Installer Mr. Santosh Kumar was very professional and tried his best to fit the system with least gaps. Incidentally we had a few common friends and had a good time remembering and times. A wiring harness and fascia had to bought separately as the ones provided by Blaupunkt did not fit.
My wife uses the car so never had much feedback. Some of the problems I've faced after using the car for the last 2 weeks are listed below.
  • The main problem I faced is Glitchy software.
  • Doesn’t switch on sometimes. Have to restart the car to switch on the stereo.
  • Rear USB doesn’t recognize some pen drives. Amazonbasics USB 3 cable did not work with rear USB port, However an old computer extension cable worked well.
  • Stock USB port in the console cannot be connected to the stereo. So Glovebox is now full of wires.
  • Radio doesn’t resume playing after ending a call. The stereo goes to CarPlay screen, so have to go to home and then radio again
  • Carplay doesn’t have sound from iPhone songs while playing sometimes.
  • Carplay working normally suddenly hangs the system with successive beeps and restores to home screen only on disconnecting the phone tried with multiple cables. Also happens with Android auto.
  • On calling from the phone sometimes there is conflict between CarPlay and bluetooth connection
  • Calls on iPhone or Android phone sometimes do not have sound in the system and manually has to be taken on the phone. This happens about 50% of the times.
  • Wireless CarPlay does not work from day 1.
  • Volume of radio suddenly goes very high after disconnecting a call but back to normal on single press of volume button
  • Calls reflected on the screen after a few seconds of black screen. This makes you miss a call sometimes.
  • No free camera was provided though the website says so.
I hope most of these problems are solved with a software update. Otherwise the stereo is fine. Most of the time.
Attaching pictures of the old stock stereo of Honda Brio/ Amaze/ Mobilio
Car Audio Advice from the Audio Gurus: Use "Search thread" before posting a new Q!-08626f0ca5dc4352a0834932376e8398.jpeg
Car Audio Advice from the Audio Gurus: Use "Search thread" before posting a new Q!-6e16778a59494a70bd8b7b810e182b15.jpeg

Last edited by wildsdi5530 : 28th July 2020 at 20:20. Reason: Added installer info
wildsdi5530 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 28th July 2020, 20:22   #14042
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Review of Blaupunkt New York 750

Hello Dr., quite a detailed feedback you have provided. Let me add my views to the extent of my usage, which is basically only CarPlay.

The problems I dont face on my New York 750:
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildsdi5530 View Post
  • Doesn’t switch on sometimes. Have to restart the car to switch on the stereo.
  • Rear USB doesn’t recognize some pen drives. Amazonbasics USB 3 cable did not work with rear USB port, However an old computer extension cable worked well.
  • Radio doesn’t resume playing after ending a call. The stereo goes to CarPlay screen, so have to go to home and then radio again
  • Carplay working normally suddenly hangs the system with successive beeps and restores to home screen only on disconnecting the phone tried with multiple cables. Also happens with Android auto.
  • Calls on iPhone or Android phone sometimes do not have sound in the system and manually has to be taken on the phone. This happens about 50% of the times.
  • Volume of radio suddenly goes very high after disconnecting a call but back to normal on single press of volume button
  • Calls reflected on the screen after a few seconds of black screen. This makes you miss a call sometimes.
  • No free camera was provided though the website says so.
I havent faced these issues. Try contacting Blaupunkt India on their central helpline number. They are pretty helpful and if I recall right, they do have a service center of their own where you can get issues sorted. Also, the free camera offer was a part of the online offer only, in case you ordered the product online. Not sure if it was applicable for offline orders too. I ordered it online, and they initially shipped me a camera which was supposed to be drilled into the bumper. However, I requested for a different camera and they obliged without hesitation and took the old camera back. If you contact them and in case they inform you of a software update, please let me know.

Now coming to the issues which I face too and my views in bold:

Quote:
  • The main problem I faced is Glitchy software. - Of course, quite a few glitches here and there.
  • Stock USB port in the console cannot be connected to the stereo. So Glovebox is now full of wires. - In my case, the existing USB port is left unused and rear USB cable has not been connected by me since for me only the front USB is sufficient, but a jugaad can be made to use this port.
  • Carplay doesn’t have sound from iPhone songs while playing sometimes. - I have noticed this too, it somehow switches the audio source to Radio and needs the phone to be disconnected and reconnected. Sadly, I have the cheaper Blaupunkt Monte Carlo from more than a year and I have never faced an issue with this one thought both systems are nearly identical.
  • On calling from the phone sometimes there is conflict between CarPlay and bluetooth connection - I found this issue recently. Was quite a confusion
  • Wireless CarPlay does not work from day 1. - Like I explained earlier, there are two versions of the head unit. One comes with wireless car play and the other does not. Unfortunate.
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th August 2020, 08:44   #14043
BHPian

Re: Car Audio Advice from the Audio Gurus: Use "Search thread" before posting a new Q!

Hello Experts,

Any advice on upgrading the sound system in the Kodiaq. I have a 2.5 yr old Kodiaq, and I some times miss the oomph of my old Endeavour's custom sound system - Amp, better door speakers & a bass speaker in the back.

TIA
Old 13th August 2020, 12:02   #14044
Senior - BHPian

Re: Car Audio Advice from the Audio Gurus: Use "Search thread" before posting a new Q!

Folks I have the following installed in my WagonR

80prs in standard mode
HAT Clarus 61-2 front doors
Audison Voce AVK6 rear doors
Kenwood Excelon XR900-5
Pioneer TSW1211D4 in ported enclosure

Now I have run a much cheaper setup in the past so I know I am right in saying that the bass does not feel accurate right now. It feels too loud and boomy and lingers on after the beat is finished. The sub feels very powerful however I feel as though I am hearing the bass too much rather than feeling it. It sounds too loose and not at all accurate. I have tried to fiddle around with the gain and lpf settings on the amp but that has just toned down the sub not resulted in any more accurate bass. Could the experts please help me out on this?

Thanks in advance
Ishaan
Old 13th August 2020, 12:13   #14045
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
80prs in standard mode
HAT Clarus 61-2 front doors
Audison Voce AVK6 rear doors
Kenwood Excelon XR900-5
Pioneer TSW1211D4 in ported enclosure
Is the subwoofer enclosure ready-made or you made it locally? Ported box, the bass will be stronger than sealed.

Can you dial down the gains slightly and what is the LPF you have set the amplifier at?
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2020, 13:19   #14046
BHPian

I have a Sony XAV 100 installed in my Ignis after removing the stock system. The speakers are directly connected to the HU. I'm facing a problem that sometimes the right channel sometimes produces no sound. I have to crank up the volume quite high and after that both the channels start working. After that even if I decrease the volume the right channel works fine.

What may the problem here?
Old 13th August 2020, 17:55   #14047
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Is the subwoofer enclosure ready-made or you made it locally? Ported box, the bass will be stronger than sealed.

Can you dial down the gains slightly and what is the LPF you have set the amplifier at?
I think it was some local ready made one. Bass is quite strong its just that it seems to be too loud if that makes any sense; I am not averse to hard hitting bass just not the kind that can be heard rather than just felt.

The LPF on the amp is set at around 65hz.

I have been doing some research online but I find it difficult to understand everything properly. I read somewhere that one shouldn't use the LPFs, Crossovers and Bass Boosts on the receiver as well as the amp because that might end up boosting certain frequencies or cause phase distortion. Is that what might be the problem in my case? I am not sure how to turn off all these functionalities on the receiver.

Do you suppose it could just be the box itself? Would there be any place that can let me demo different subwoofer boxes?
Old 13th August 2020, 19:43   #14048
BANNED

Quote:
I have been doing some research online but I find it difficult to understand everything properly. I read somewhere that one shouldn't use the LPFs, Crossovers and Bass Boost on the receiver as well as the amp because that might end up boosting certain frequencies or cause phase distortion. Is that what might be the problem in my case? I am not sure how to turn off all these functionalities on the receiver.
Can be one of the possible reasons, set everything at 0 in the HU and use the settings on the amplifier and see if it helps.

Remove any kind of boosting as it will boost it by 6dB mostly.

Quote:
Do you suppose it could just be the box itself?
Enclosures are always made as per manufacturer specification for optimum performance. If it is a generic one, will never make that subwoofer perform how it was designed for.

Quote:
Would there be any place that can let me demo different subwoofer boxes?
I don't think so you can audition boxes. I'll say find what Pioneer says for sealed/ported enclosures and make it accordingly.
a4anurag is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th August 2020, 22:54   #14049
BHPian

Hi all, I am planning to buy a good sounding HU for my Ciaz, which is currently fitted with an android player. The same is supported via 2 components in the front (JBL) and 2 coaxials at the rear (Blaupunkt) . Two 4 channel amplifiers (Blaupunkt) , however the sound is not to my liking and it feels like the HU is seriously the loose end here.

I have also done damping of all 4 doors and now all I need is a better player. I have shortlisted Pioneer DMH Z 5290BT and JVC 740 BT.

All I want is a seemless experience with apple car play , easy direct Spotify usage and a sweet sound which compliments the overall system in place.

Not very fond of heavy listening but want my Scorpions, Metallica , David Gilmour and the likes to sound clear and premium via the set up.

Request kind inputs from all the soundaholics here for the same.
Old 25th August 2020, 00:07   #14050
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NST440 View Post
Hi all, I am planning to buy a good sounding HU for my Ciaz, which is currently fitted with an android player. The same is supported via 2 components in the front (JBL) and 2 coaxials at the rear (Blaupunkt) . Two 4 channel amplifiers (Blaupunkt) , however the sound is not to my liking and it feels like the HU is seriously the loose end here.

I have also done damping of all 4 doors and now all I need is a better player. I have shortlisted Pioneer DMH Z 5290BT and JVC 740 BT.

All I want is a seemless experience with apple car play , easy direct Spotify usage and a sweet sound which compliments the overall system in place.

Not very fond of heavy listening but want my Scorpions, Metallica , David Gilmour and the likes to sound clear and premium via the set up.

Request kind inputs from all the soundaholics here for the same.
Have you had a look at the Sony AX5000?
frankmehta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th August 2020, 07:54   #14051
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmehta View Post
Have you had a look at the Sony AX5000?
Well honestly I did check out its reviews which suggest that it i has a better response time owing to capacitive screen and quicker boot times.

However, I feel that the output and sound configuration settings of Pioneer and JVC would be better than the Sony HU, it used to be this way , has it changed and gotten better now? Never heard Sony to be an sound enthusiasts first choice or I may be wrong here.
NST440 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th August 2020, 09:14   #14052
BANNED

Quote:
Never heard Sony to be an sound enthusiasts first choice or I may be wrong here.
Sony ain't bad at all. If you need sound quality, I'll suggest you to add Kenwood to the list.

Please choose the HU's that have capacitive touchscreen, don't go the resistive way.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th August 2020, 10:15   #14053
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Well honestly I did check out its reviews which suggest that it i has a better response time owing to capacitive screen and quicker boot times.

However, I feel that the output and sound configuration settings of Pioneer and JVC would be better than the Sony HU, it used to be this way , has it changed and gotten better now? Never heard Sony to be an sound enthusiasts first choice or I may be wrong here.
If you plan to output to a set of speakers without an amp anyway, then which head unit you choose honestly will not make a difference in every day listening.
It's when you add an amp, that you will feel a tangible difference between equipment.

Even then, the Sony ax5000 has got a decent set of hardware and doesn't sound half as bad for your requirements.
Also, if apple car play or android auto will be your source, you will be streaming audio, most likely. Dont forget to choose the BEST quality option in whichever music player you're streaming from, be it spotify or apple music or google play music or whatever!
frankmehta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th August 2020, 12:55   #14054
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Please choose the HU's that have capacitive touchscreen, don't go the resistive way.
Thank you for the suggestion, shall definitely keep in mind before choosing one. Resistive is archaic for sure in today's times

Quote:
It's when you add an amp, that you will feel a tangible difference between equipment.
Noted with thanks, I agree, have added two amps already along with components (F), coaxials (R) and sub, so my one top priority is the ability to hear each musical instrument that makes the song.

Quote:
Dont forget to choose the BEST quality option in whichever music player you're streaming from, be it spotify or apple music or google play music or whatever!
Yes, you are spot on, I use Spotify at its best quality settings. makes a world of difference. A question though, is there a dedicated Spotify icon/ app on the Sony like in JVC or Pioneer.

Also, it may sound naive but since XAV 5000 has single chassis at the back, does it skimp in some essential components and mechanicals as opposed to the other brands being considered.
Old 29th August 2020, 15:30   #14055
BHPian

I have a basic setup with a Pioneer touch HU and JBL component speakers installed 5 years back with door dampening. My current front speakers are acting weird and it may be end of life for them so would need replacement speakers under 10k. Is Polk Audio 6501 components at 8k a worthy buy ? I want reliable and balanced performance with service support if ever require for the next 4-5 years or so.

Another query is if i add an under-seat subwoofer with inbuilt amp, can it cause battery drain issues?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks