Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th November 2023, 12:36   #211

Re: Mahindra XUV400 EV Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by abaliga View Post
Have OEMs built excess capacity for EVs or is this the case of EVs losing steam? Nexon EV is almost available off the shelf and now a significant discount on XUV4OO, whichever way one looks at it, initial buyers of XUV4OO are going to be an angry lot!
Do not think its the situation, because I am in the waiting list for Nexon EV top end LR for 1 month now. The dealer says it could take at least 45 days more for the delivery. And they say mid variants and base variants have longer wait periods.
cijoalex is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th November 2023, 16:22   #212
BHPian

PSA: Dont buy this. Mahindra dumping a hastily made car on indians. We deserve better. Get a Nexon or ZS EV instead of this.
lina is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th November 2023, 21:16   #213
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by lina View Post
PSA: Dont buy this. Mahindra dumping a hastily made car on indians. We deserve better. Get a Nexon or ZS EV instead of this.
Just went for an EV (Nexon Max old model which was in stock) but I didn't even consider Mahindra because somehow, despite their being first to market with the Reva acquisition, they don't seem serious about EVs. I did consider Citroën but apart from other issues it had a major waiting time. Tata has demonstrated they are in the EV game for the long term, including building up the ecosystem required. Other manufacturers should step up their game.
rsidd is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th November 2023, 09:52   #214
BHPian

It seems that lithium prices have been falling due to subdued demand and EV margins are FAT.

Tata seems to be making the most of the clear blue ocean opportunity but Mahindra should be able to pull some volumes if they give the XUV400 a thorough update and not increase prices like Tata did.

XUV400 is a capable car in isolation and if they can sort out the interiors (and now the exterior as well), it should be able to pull volumes not just from the Nexon EV but also from ICE cars like Creta/ Seltos / Kushaq / Taigun / GV / UCHR hybrid/ automatics.

Mahindra, even though they had the initial advantage of acquiring Maini Reva, sat on their EV program and let Tata overtake them.
antz.bin is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th November 2023, 10:09   #215
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by antz.bin View Post
Mahindra should be able to pull some volumes if they give the XUV400 a thorough update and not increase prices like Tata did.
And if nothing else please get rid of those horrendous copper accents. If extravagant chrome is bad this is worse.

Last edited by electric_eel : 8th November 2023 at 10:10. Reason: quoting mistake
electric_eel is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 9th November 2023, 20:22   #216
BHPian

After 15,000 km and 7 months of ownership of the XUV400 these are my observations based on the points being discussed here. And feel free to ask more!

XUV400 Cons
- no rear AC vents, ventilated seats, automatic climate control. This is my biggest issue. Unacceptable at this price point.
- remote unlock or start via app, pre cooling etc doesn't work. The GPS tracking works around 30% of the time.
- Interiors look a decade old.
- hideous bronze accents on the outside.
- not enough USB charging ports. Never thought I'll have to buy a ciggerate lighter charger in 2023!

XUV400 Indifferent points:
- lack of cruise control. As its not adaptive, doesn't add much of a convience, nor does it add range.
- drive modes. Starts in eco/fun. Have managed to wheel spin in this!
- regen modes. There's the L gear for single pedal driving. Leave the A pedal and it slows down to standstill. But doesn't impact range at all. The default D mode does a decent job of 'engine braking' style regen while giving those being driven a less jerky experience.

More on its regen modes:
Would I prefer finer controls?
Why not, but I doubt I'll use it in daily driving. A zero regen mode is missed though, would love to use it on outstation trips.

Would we get use out of Kona style paddle shifters?
Definitely not. It's an enthusiast's thing. Unfortunately the average driver doesn't want to learn or meddle with braking without the B pedal.
I LOVED the long hold feature of the Kona and was convinced to take the plunge for this, but better sense prevailed for the sake of the family.

Is L gear usable?
Yes, only because it gives single pedal experience in b2b traffic. Else useless. Used it <5% of the time I'm on the wheel. No one else cares for it. Would hate to be driven while someone is on high regen if they don't know what they are doing.

XUV400 Pros:
- overall space. Upgrade from any sub 4m SUV. *almost* in seltos/creta category. 3 in a row at the back, headroom for tall ones along with a sunroof, 6 footers back to back - all tick marks.
- Great comfort. Especially backseat when compared to all other sub 30L EVs. (Was a priority as it's 95% chauffeur driven) Overall ergonomics are sorted with decent knee room, average under thigh support (rare in EVs) & comfy seat contouring.
- Ideal suspension and handling combination.
- Chiller AC, compared to all other sub 30L EVs. Despite the cons mentioned on this above.
- Updates. Got a soft version of hill hold at some point I think. Android auto reliability seems better than before. BMS was updated too. They have offered free hardware update with ESP, TC, CC, TPMS. All in 6 months of launch.
- zero niggles, fast charging related issues, charger getting locked etc. MCB of the home charger trips once in a while, but I guess it's the charger-wiring-meter issue, rather than the BMS.
- higher DC charging speeds than Tatas.
- Amazing service experience. Dedicated trained personnel for EVs.
sidoxic is offline   (28) Thanks
Old 9th November 2023, 22:32   #217
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidoxic View Post
After 15,000 km and 7 months of ownership of the XUV400 these are my observations based on the points being discussed here. And feel free to ask more!
Those are really reassuring points that you have mentioned sidoxic. What’s the average range that you get after full charge? Has there been any drop in the SoC? Zero niggles so far came out as a surprise because this is gen 1 of Mahindra’s proper EV.
Are there any issues with apple carplay in the 400?
Also, what are the functionalities of blue sense app?

Last edited by GKR9900 : 9th November 2023 at 22:36.
Old 10th November 2023, 00:08   #218
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKR9900 View Post
What’s the average range that you get after full charge?
Around 230-270km displayed range with AC and full load.
Realistic range - 200km stress-free & 225km max with a light foot.

Quote:
Has there been any drop in the SoC?
Well I think it's improved.
Used to average 220 iirc. But the summers were brutal this year and the AC was overworked in the initial months.

Quote:
Are there any issues with apple carplay in the 400?
Also, what are the functionalities of blue sense app?
Android user here. Carplay used briefly without issues. Device not detected in the early days but I think an update fixed it. Or it could've been a faulty wire. No glitches now.

Blue sense is a joke lol. It doesn't connect to the network so it's barely usable. It's so bad that I purchased a standalone GPS tracker.
When it does work, you can see the SOC, DTE, lock status, GPS coordinates, door lock, driving/idle, Charge history (accurate, but only graphs no numbers) trip history (glitchy).

It is supposed to have remote unlock, remote start with AC but the app is in beta and has never been updated. It seems to be in a read only mode - in the sense the app is not able to instruct anything to the car over the cloud.
A blue sense feature that always works is remote control for the music system. Sit in the backseat and change modes/volume etc. This works over Bluetooth so only works while in car.

Last edited by Aditya : 10th November 2023 at 09:18. Reason: Quote tags fixed
sidoxic is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th November 2023, 17:30   #219
BHPian

Quote:
Around 230-270km displayed range with AC and full load.
Realistic range - 200km stress-free & 225km max with a light foot.
Is this the 34.5kWh battery variant with ARAI range of 375km?
Old 10th November 2023, 20:20   #220
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wocanak View Post
Is this the 34.5kWh battery variant with ARAI range of 375km?
No, the model at launch was only with the 39.4 kWh / ~450km pack option.
Old 11th November 2023, 15:53   #221
BHPian

Quote:
No, the model at launch was only with the 39.4 kWh / ~450km pack option.
Oh, then 200 km or max 225 km range seems a little low, is this highway range at good speeds?

For comparison, the Nexon Max/LR gives ~280 to 320 km in cities and ~230 to 270 km on highways. The variation in highways can be much larger depending on the driving speed and elevation change, I am just quoting typical numbers.

I thought the point of going with NMC battery for XUV400 was that, due to its higher density (so lower weight for same capacity) it can give similar range on a larger car. Would be a bit surprised if it gives lesser range than the Nexon.

Most EVs currently in India give at least around 60 to 70% of ARAI range in Cities, and ~10% lower on highways.
wocanak is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th November 2023, 19:28   #222
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wocanak View Post
Oh, then 200 km or max 225 km range seems a little low, is this highway range at good speeds?
For comparison, the Nexon Max/LR gives ~280 to 320 km in cities and ~230 to 270 km on highways.
Yes this is a mix of all types of highways - NH + single lane + expressways. Not hyper-milling at all, driven like an ICE at the expressway speed limit. And always keeping a good buffer range of 10% or 25km.

Compared to Nexon max, the lower range is expected. The Nexon is lighter & smaller. Consequently, the XUV400's efficiency isn't as great at 150-180 wh/km. Also the Max has ~3% more KWhs.

Fortunately, the XUV400 doesn't drop drive or AC performance at lower SOCs. So a comfortable usable range should be at par with the Max keeping this in consideration.
sidoxic is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th November 2023, 02:04   #223
BHPian

Quote:
Yes this is a mix of all types of highways - NH + single lane + expressways. Not hyper-milling at all, driven like an ICE at the expressway speed limit. And always keeping a good buffer range of 10% or 25km.
Any battery heating or over heating issue?

Asking since its NMC.

Saw one test video with 5 passengers and luggage and they got 250km with 8% remaining.

Another one called Drive to Death got 290km with 1% left.

What is the max you have got?

Also XUV400 has got some new features it seems. Did you get any/all of them via any update or only new cars get it?
Old 12th November 2023, 15:03   #224
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by electric_eel View Post
And if nothing else please get rid of those horrendous copper accents. If extravagant chrome is bad this is worse.
I love the copper accents in and out. Why not? Looks different and its not gaudy at all. Conveys the Electric message and also livens up the black interiors too.
sagsaw is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th November 2023, 19:22   #225
Distinguished - BHPian

The flopped XUV 4OO, now in refresh mode?

Mahindra XUV400 EV Review-gagotlpaiaal3xr.jpg

Mahindra XUV400 EV Review-gagouiua0aaqxn7.jpg

Mahindra XUV400 EV Review-gagoufga4aahfr.jpg

Mahindra XUV400 EV Review-gagovhdbaaapckd.jpg

Link:
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks