Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th July 2015, 09:47   #181
Team-BHP Support

Re: The Windows 10 Thread!

The iso file downloaded from Colo was corrupted somehow, I think I logged out before the copy completed. So I couldn't burn it into the USB. So downloaded again, this time directly from MSDN. It took only 20 minutes.

First I tried on the laptop, ran the setup and it never asked for any key. But the install took a long while, I slept after waiting for some time. Morning it was ready to go. Now for the next machine.
Old 30th July 2015, 10:30   #182
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ardy View Post
The said folder is appearing on my system, but on 6 GB in total. Not in a hurry, so will probably wait for MS to start the update automatically.

Cheers,
Ardy
Upgraded last night. It was a smooth 2 hour upgrade.

The only issue that I am currently facing is a an occasional pop-up stating that the NVidia display driver stopped and started again. The drivers were updated before the Windows10 upgrade.

Just as I posted this, I got the first Blue Screen. :-(

Cheers,
Ardy

Last edited by Ardy : 30th July 2015 at 10:40.
Old 30th July 2015, 12:10   #183
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

The only issue that I am currently facing is a an occasional pop-up stating that the NVidia display driver stopped and started again. The drivers were updated before the Windows10 upgrade.

Cheers,
Ardy
NVIDIA has released 353.62 WHQL drivers for win 10 yesterday. The driver version 353.62 was earlier available (and maybe even now) through windows update though a lot of people complained about them.
Old 30th July 2015, 12:10   #184
mxx
BHPian

updated both laptops to windows 10 yesterday via windows update.
will try a clean install over the weekend.

Had an issue with Kaspersky internet security 2015 after install. sharing it here, in case it helps.
got a blue screen when the kaspersky internet security updates were being installed and could not enable it in security settings. tried re-installing it but install failed.
Finally downloaded 2016 version which is not listed in kasperky main site, only available in US region.
installed fine, and no problems yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
Thanks R2d2 & Vasudeva - Voila - I could do it so the trouble was wrong selection of version - I had win 8 Pro keys so first I upgraded my win 8 - and then could upgrade to win 10 easily

It appears MS has sort of complicated things by way of this auto update - it would have been lot easier if they would have encouraged everyone to download directly

how big was the ISO image?

Last edited by mxx : 30th July 2015 at 12:33.
Old 30th July 2015, 12:12   #185
Distinguished - BHPian

Got the windows updated to version 10 yesterday evening. The look and feel is good. But one thing I noticed was the laptop fan was running for much longer than usual. What could be the cause for this?
Old 30th July 2015, 12:19   #186
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
Anyway, I am upgrading directly from the ISO file.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasudeva View Post
@R2D2 , @vasudeva thanks to both of you, I have upgraded my pc at home to Windows 10. The discussions here, and the clarifications set the expectation of what to expect. It was a smooth upgrade last night, though had to download the iso, instead of the automatic upgrade.

The initial look and feel is great, better that what the preview version is. Is there any way to disable the active tiles and make it look like the start menu of windows 7, i.e. without the active tiles, and having program groups?

I have updated the nvidia drivers, need to check for other drivers, and install mcafee antivirus. Was surprised to see nvidia had windows 10 drivers ready. I did not find the monitor drivers for Windows 10, will install the Windows 8.1 drivers.

Quote:

Cheers,
Ardy
You might want to check the nvidia drivers for windows 10. They had it ready for the 780ti.
Old 30th July 2015, 12:32   #187
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghu.t.k View Post

The initial look and feel is great, better that what the preview version is. Is there any way to disable the active tiles and make it look like the start menu of windows 7, i.e. without the active tiles, and having program groups?
I have not used 10 much but from my experience, by right clicking on any tile, you can unpin the live tile from start menu. Also turn live tile off, and even uninstall. You can even change the size of live tile side by dragging the whole start menu up/down. It cannot go wider but maybe it can be dragged to be narrower.

As to another query: the win 10 x64 iso from Microsoft is 3.80 GB.

Last edited by vasudeva : 30th July 2015 at 12:33.
Old 30th July 2015, 12:35   #188
Senior - BHPian

looks like everybody is able to upgrade smoothly. However, I am still waiting for the notification. I'm in Finland. did you guys have to wait or was there a workaround?

the only button I get to see today says ''OK, Notify me when ready''. did you guys see this as well?
Old 30th July 2015, 12:42   #189
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasudeva View Post
NVIDIA has released 353.62 WHQL drivers for win 10 yesterday. The driver version 353.62 was earlier available (and maybe even now) through windows update though a lot of people complained about them.
Thanks, Vasudeva.

The GPU that I have is GeForce GT 335 and the above mentioned driver is not applicable for this. The driver for which I got an notification yesterday and I upgraded is 341.74. So, my drivers are all up to date.

From the event viewer, I am only getting warnings and the following message:

Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered.

Still trying to diagnose.

Cheers,
Ardhendu
Old 30th July 2015, 12:52   #190
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14000rpm View Post
looks like everybody is able to upgrade smoothly. However, I am still waiting for the notification. I'm in Finland. did you guys have to wait or was there a workaround?

the only button I get to see today says ''OK, Notify me when ready''. did you guys see this as well?
Germany here, same case.

I too can only see that prompt.
Old 30th July 2015, 12:59   #191
Senior - BHPian

I really like Windows 10.

Especially Cortana! I have activated the 'Hey, Cortana!' bit. And it is pretty nifty. Works with a Logitech webcam's mic as well.

Apart from that, all smooth. No glitches. Post installation, you can use Disk Cleanup and free up around 10GB of space.

Only bit that surprised me was the booting screen. Same logo as Windows 8.1 during boot. Why?
Old 30th July 2015, 13:03   #192
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14000rpm View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by batterylow View Post
Germany here, same case.

I too can only see that prompt.
Guys, just get the ISO (link provided in one of my earlier posts) and start the upgrade manually. You don't need to wait any longer than you want to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxx View Post
Finally downloaded 2016 version which is not listed in kasperky main site, only available in US region. installed fine, and no problems yet.

how big was the ISO image?
The ISO is about 3.12 GB for x64. I had to uninstall KIS 2015 and use only Windows Defender during the insider preview stage. I'll get version 2016 and see how it goes. Have a subscription to Bitdefender too. Will try them out though my 1st preference was always Norton. They've been messing up recently so I didn't renew the subscription.
Old 30th July 2015, 13:16   #193
BHPian

Guys, anyone having issue with activation ?

I upgraded my Lenovo Laptop from official Win 8.1 to 10 and now when I can check the activation status under;

Start > Settings > Update & security > Activation.

it says, 'Windows cant activate. Try again later.'

I have been trying since yesterday and it's still the same.
Old 30th July 2015, 15:29   #194
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwin.terminat View Post
I really like Windows 10.

Especially Cortana! I have activated the 'Hey, Cortana!' bit. And it is pretty nifty. Works with a Logitech webcam's mic as well.

Apart from that, all smooth. No glitches. Post installation, you can use Disk Cleanup and free up around 10GB of space.

Only bit that surprised me was the booting screen. Same logo as Windows 8.1 during boot. Why?
I did do the disk cleanup and was able to free up only 120 odd mb. Am I missing something.
Old 30th July 2015, 15:32   #195
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkrishnap View Post
I did do the disk cleanup and was able to free up only 120 odd mb. Am I missing something.
Yes.

After the inital Disk Cleanup scan, you need to click on Clean System Files and it will rescan.

There you'll need to choose the appropriate options.

Here's a link that I referred to:
http://winsupersite.com/windows-10/w...-install-clean

Huge, huge difference in space!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks